The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin Cowherd take on Tua

+5
white1
mercury22nathan
JMP
finfanatic
CarsonChris
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Colin Cowherd take on Tua  Empty Colin Cowherd take on Tua

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 am

Cowherd says Dolphins players lost faith in Tua. Game 1 vs Patriots may be the most important game of Tua's career. If he lays an egg he will lose the team if he hasn't already.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Colin Cowherd take on Tua  Empty Re: Colin Cowherd take on Tua

Post by finfanatic Wed May 12, 2021 11:04 am

I was eating lunch and watching when Cowherd said that.

He made a great point about when the rookie QB is great, the HC is trying to LOWER the Expectations. "You media guys are building him up way too much! Sure he played great, but he made a lot of mistakes. He still has a lot to learn."

When the HC is saying stuff like "I never lost faith in Tua." or trying to BUILD UP the QB...there is definitely something there IMO.

Somewhere along about the Dolphins game last year, the whole Tua experiment went in the ditch. The injuries definitely did not help, but Tua seems to have lost some confidence also. No matter what Flores was telling Tua, it had to shake his confidence to have Fitz come in and make the plays he was not making even with the injuries to WR and the O-line.

My bet is Flores would have had a mighty quick hook for Tua in that final Buffalo game if Fitz had been ready. The Phins would have still lost IMO, but...

About the first game... Let's hope Flores has the DEFENSE up to speed. They have looked like hot garbage with a toxic stench for the last two openers under Flores!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 pm

This came up with some of the players last year that were upset Tua replaced Fitzpatrick as the starter. The locker room wondered why? The word was Tua didn't earn the starting job on the practice field. I think this was a reaction to Hebert's season. Listening to the radio this morning they were talking about Hard knocks from last year. During one of the episodes the veterans stopped doing what they were doing to watch Hebert throw. The veterans on the Chargers were ecstatic watching Hebert. They knew he had something special.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 12, 2021 2:20 pm

LOL The same Colin Cowherd who spent entire shows talking about how great Tua was before he was drafted? That guy? Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm sure he has a great feel for the Dolphins locker room! Laughing Laughing Laughing

All of this stuff is meaningless. Tua was the starting QB, he is the starting QB, and he will be the starting QB. All of this fake news BS won't change that. I get it...some people prefer a tall QB with a strong arm that loses games over a smaller QB that wins games...chicks dig the long ball, after all. Personally, I just care about wins, and I know we have a winner at QB. All the haters will jump on the bandwagon soon enough, and we can then post links to Cowherd praising Tua again.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 12, 2021 5:32 pm

A little breaking news, every QB from Alabama is a winner in college.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 12, 2021 8:42 pm

CarsonChris wrote:A little breaking news, every QB from Alabama is a winner in college.

But only one of them was considered an all-time great college QB and was drafted in the top 5.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu May 13, 2021 9:47 am

but JMP, Oregon's coach told us so...

University of Oregon football coach Mario Cristobal, born in Miami, raised in Miami, schooled in Miami, has been trying to give his hometown NFL team the best information about his players possible before each of the last two drafts.

Cristobal last year told the Miami Dolphins to pick Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert in the first round. They didn’t.

He told the Dolphins to pick left tackle Penei Sewell this year. They didn’t.

“I killed myself with Justin. I mean I couldn’t stop calling them,” Cristobal said this week. “And with Penei, I’m like, ‘Guys, this guy’s generational. He’s better than all of them.’ And they just, I don’t know, they must not like my recommendations, man. I don’t know what to say.”

Last year Cristobal said Herbert would be “an absolute super stud as a pro.” The quarterback has taken a first step in that direction because he threw for 4,336 yards with 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions for the Los Angeles Chargers after he was selected No. 6 overall in the draft.

I remind Cristobal of how his prediction looks now he is not surprised.

“We had this conversation, man,” he says casually.

And as much as Cristobal loves Herbert and pushed for Herbert to the Dolphins, the former University of Miami offensive lineman has greater things to say about Sewell. And he shared those with the Dolphins.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article251365413.html

but why oh why JMP didn't they not listen to Cristobal? maybe they should just let him run their draft. or better yet, they should draft nothing but Oregon players.

yea, he's the coach, that's his job to pump these guys in the eyes of NFL teams. not only did he tell the Dolphins, but i'm sure he said the same thing to every team...just as Clemson, BYU, North Dakota St., Ohio St and Alabama coaches did this year for their QB's.

oh, and btw, go listen to Cowherd's pre-draft opinions on Herbert... words like lacks leadership, field awareness and comparisons to Ryan Leaf were often mentioned. Cowherd is an entertainer whose hindsight is always 20/20.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu May 13, 2021 9:49 am

Cowherd is making an attempt to pray on my insecurities here LOL!

One thought: Tyreek Hill thought Mahomes would be a bust during his rookie year. Look how that turned out.

Players will believe when Tua turns it on. Otherwise, we will be looking for a new QB - not next year but I would say Miami would do everything in its power to find a new starter for the 2023 opener. Tua gets at least two more years unless this season is an absolute dumpster fire, and I can't see that happening.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 13, 2021 11:44 am

Yea, Cowherd likes the hot take too often, BUT....

The point he made about the HC trying to LOWER Expectations when the Rookie QB is playing great as opposed to
trying to BUILD UP the QB when the rookie QB plays like doo-doo is VALID IMHO!

If Tua had come out those last few games and played lights out or at least well enough to not get BENCHED, the HC would NEVER HAVE TO SAY "I never lost faith in Tua."

There is a REASON for all this talk about Tua. His performance last season was underwhelming to say the least.

We can HOPE Tua plays great but discounting everything we saw at the end of last season or excusing it as "not applicable" seems to have gone as far over to the Optimistic side as some of the "Tiny Tua" stuff is to the pessimistic side.

I think Tua can make the jump to GOOD easily, but is he ever going to be great? Who knows?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yea, Cowherd likes the hot take too often, BUT....

The point he made about the HC trying to LOWER Expectations when the Rookie QB is playing great as opposed to
trying to BUILD UP the QB when the rookie QB plays like doo-doo is VALID IMHO!

If Tua had come out those last few games and played lights out or at least well enough to not get BENCHED, the HC would NEVER HAVE TO SAY "I never lost faith in Tua."

There is a REASON for all this talk about Tua. His performance last season was underwhelming to say the least.

We can HOPE Tua plays great but discounting everything we saw at the end of last season or excusing it as "not applicable" seems to have gone as far over to the Optimistic side as some of the "Tiny Tua" stuff is to the pessimistic side.

I think Tua can make the jump to GOOD easily, but is he ever going to be great? Who knows?

Once we were in a playoff hunt, it became all about winning at all cost. That's the only reason Flores put Fitz in during those games. You can call it 'losing faith' if you want, but I don't think that was it at all...I think it was more like (as Flores himself said) a baseball manager bringing in a relief pitcher to close out the game. What's going to give me the best chance to win this particular game, at this particular moment? The 'relief QB' idea is not common in the NFL, but Flores is known for thinking outside the box. I just think that, in a must-win situation, he felt like the 100-year veteran Fitz coming off the bench could give the team a spark that the rookie coming off limited practice and a major injury couldn't.

The fact that Tua kept the starting job even after Fitz played speaks volumes to me about Flores's view of Tua. So does everything that's happened this offseason: letting Fitz walk, Flores consistently praising Tua and calling him the starter, rebuilding the offensive coaching staff, etc.

The bottom line here is that Tua is the Miami Dolphins starter. People can shit on him all they want, but he IS the starter. I wish everyone would come to terms with that and stop with all the bullshit nitpicking and fake news. Hell, we're talking about a guy that many people thought might never play again - and as a rookie he went 6-3 as a starter with a 14:6 total TD to total turnover ratio. Most teams would kill for a rookie to do those things, but here we are looking for every way possible to cut Tua down because he didn't win a Super Bowl and isn't 6'6" inches tall.

We've all been screaming for YEARS to have a promising young QB, and now that we finally have one we can't dump enough crap on him. I guess it's a symptom of the "I WANT IT NOW!!!" society we live in today. Quite frankly, it sucks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Thu May 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Tua needs to play better and continue to get better. I think he will.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 13, 2021 2:24 pm

JMP wrote:The bottom line here is that Tua is the Miami Dolphins starter. People can shit on him all they want, but he IS the starter. I wish everyone would come to terms with that and stop with all the bullshit nitpicking and fake news. Hell, we're talking about a guy that many people thought might never play again - and as a rookie he went 6-3 as a starter with a 14:6 total TD to total turnover ratio. Most teams would kill for a rookie to do those things, but here we are looking for every way possible to cut Tua down because he didn't win a Super Bowl and isn't 6'6" inches tall.

We've all been screaming for YEARS to have a promising young QB, and now that we finally have one we can't dump enough crap on him. I guess it's a symptom of the "I WANT IT NOW!!!" society we live in today. Quite frankly, it sucks.

Since when did stating the facts become "shitting" on a player.

I hate having to take the devils advocate here as I actually think Tua will continue to improve. But saying he is the starter this season does not change the fact he stunk it up some last season.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Killah Sith wrote:Tua needs to play better and continue to get better.

Yep, that's all there is to it, just like any other second-year player.

But there seems to be this view around the internet that Tua sucked last year (which he actually didn't) and will never get any better and that what we saw last season is all we'll ever see. It's a really strange way to look at a young player, especially in light of the progression we all saw from Josh Allen in Buffalo. Like I said, the "I WANT IT NOW!!!" mentality is everywhere these days.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 13, 2021 3:12 pm

finfanatic wrote:

Since when did stating the facts become "shitting" on a player.

I hate having to take the devils advocate here as I actually think Tua will continue to improve. But saying he is the starter this season does not change the fact he stunk it up some last season.

Stating facts? More like focusing only on the negatives. Sure, Tua had some bad moments - he also had some good moments. Imagine that - a rookie had ups and downs in his first half-season of play! Who woulda thunk it!

Not talking about you...just seems to be a huge contingent of Dolphins fans around that are just completely dismissing Tua based on a rookie season where he faced incredible obstacles - and yet still ended up with good stats and a winning record. It's ridiculous. Then again, if he threw 30 TDs and lost 9 games some people would be happier than a pig in shit.

The reason I mention that Tua is the starter is because all of this negativity is useless. Can't we see what happens in 2021 before we kick the guy out of Miami?? He performed MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Josh Allen did in his rookie season...but I guess that doesn't matter because Allen is the prototypical QB: a tall white guy with a strong arm (who couldn't hit the broad side of a big-ass barn as a rookie.) Or maybe Dolfans just have zero patience and would have crucified Allen too? Hell, I see people talking about Burrow being so much better than Tua as a rookie - and that's a crock of bullshit too.

Sorry for the rant - again, I just can't stand this 'instant gratification' idea that because a player didn't throw 30 TDs (or whatever their personal magic numbers are) as a rookie he's garbage. It's short-sighted and completely dismisses all the positives from last season. We went 10-6 with a rookie QB (coming off a major injury) starting the final 9 games...and people are negative. Truly mind-boggling to me. This should be the happiest time in Dolphins fans lives in decades, but sadly it seems like a high number of people just won't be happy no matter what.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu May 13, 2021 5:21 pm

They're just not sold yet because there isn't enough to show literally much of anything about Tua from last year that gives you the feeling that he's going to be the guy.

I approach it from the "show me" perspective.  I'll have to see if his ethic and drive as well as love for the game translates to the field in the pros.  There are some very concerning issues from last year, and some very positive things as well.  That said, there are just things a QB needs to do, traits that he needs to have, and a presence to command that elevates guys around him, or else he's just Rich Gannon, and that's fine, that's enough to win one Super Bowl in the exact right situation.

However, the QB "IT" guy is Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Payton Manning, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers, etc.  That's the tier people want after 247 years of complete and utter heartbreak.  

Tua has to be the guy.  He hasn't shown that he is that yet.  That's where I stand at this exact moment, and it's on pretty firm and logical ground.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu May 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Miami went 10-6 in spite of the poor QB play not because Tua looked like anything special. He didn't play well. When he was taken out of games it wasn't because we were winning them and we didn't want to over use the talent he wasn't showing. It was because he wasn't showing talent at all. We needed a spark. Tua may turn out to be an NFL caliber QB. He showed glimpses in 1 of 9 games, Arizona. Everyone loves a new car. Some just happen to be lemons. Tua felt more like a lemon than car you want to keep. If he continues to break down and can't move the offense then it's time to look at buying a new car.

This is a quote from a news article about Marino:

"In Marino's four starts since replacing David Woodley, he has completed 62 percent of his passes for 10 touchdowns against only three interceptions. His average completion covers almost 14 yards and already he has had three scoring passes of at least 40 yards. He leads the AFC in passing and is trying to become the first rookie to be No. 1 since Parker Hall in 1939."

Marino made a difference when he was inserted into the lineup. The team got better. I didn't feel that when Tua replaced Fitzpatrick. The team lost a step. 9 starts, not 1 pass over 35 yards in a passing league. Average length in air, 4.8 yards. Sorry, that just wasn't very functional QB play. As a top 5 player I expect to see a better caliber of play. Tua looked like a scrub backup QB not a franchise QB.

If he comes in and struggles this year we have a problem. Based on the 9 games I watched I don't have a good feeling about Tua's future.

CarsonChris

Degarmo and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu May 13, 2021 7:51 pm

Well said and I would venture to say if this kind of performance continues in 2021 you will have very few - if any - arguments against your point.

The Tua supporters (I’m one of them) believe he will improve and show he has what it takes. The glimpses we saw last year, even if just AZ but he also showed up pretty well against KC, have us thinking he will prove us right. It’s what we’re hoping for.

A reboot is not an easy thing to embrace when you’ve churned for a franchise QB so long. But if it comes to that, give me Grier and Flores they will figure it out.

white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Degarmo wrote:
Tua has to be the guy.  He hasn't shown that he is that yet.  That's where I stand at this exact moment, and it's on pretty firm and logical ground.

With few rare exceptions, no one knows if a rookie QB will be "the guy". I don't understand why Tua has to be a Hall of Famer overnight for him to be given a chance.

Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Payton Manning, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers...REALLY??? Tua didn't play like those guys in his first 9 games of action, and that's considered a negative? Is that where we're at? Our rookie isn't on the level of the all-time greats after 9 games, so we can't have any faith in him??? I say again: Josh Allen looked like an all-time flop as a rookie, heading towards an epic BUST of a career. Now, a couple of years later, people are falling all over themselves talking about how amazing he is (and ignoring the fact that he's still inaccurate...) I wonder if Bills fans dug Allen's grave when he was a rookie?

I remember the days when players actually got a chance to develop, and their own fans encouraged them and showed patience. Now, at the first sign of blood in the water, we swarm and take him down. It's a shame.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 pm

CarsonChris wrote:

This is a quote from a news article about Marino:

"In Marino's four starts since replacing David Woodley, he has completed 62 percent of his passes for 10 touchdowns against only three interceptions. His average completion covers almost 14 yards and already he has had three scoring passes of at least 40 yards. He leads the AFC in passing and is trying to become the first rookie to be No. 1 since Parker Hall in 1939."

Marino made a difference when he was inserted into the lineup. The team got better. I didn't feel that when Tua replaced Fitzpatrick. The team lost a step.  9 starts, not 1 pass over 35 yards in a passing league. Average length in air, 4.8 yards. Sorry, that just wasn't very functional QB play.  As a top 5 player I expect to see a better caliber of play. Tua looked like a scrub backup QB not a franchise QB.

Wow. Tua didn't play like Dan Marino in his first 9 games, so that's a sign that he sucks. Wow. I don't even know what to say to that.

Did you know that in Josh Allen's first 9 games he threw 5 TDs, 9 INTs, fumbled 4 times and threw for under 200 yards 6 times (including 3 games under 100 yards)? The Bills went 3-6 in those 9 games. I bet Bills fans hated Allen because he couldn't compare to Jim Kelly. Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:

With few rare exceptions, no one knows if a rookie QB will be "the guy".  I don't understand why Tua has to be a Hall of Famer overnight for him to be given a chance.

Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Payton Manning, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers...REALLY??? Tua didn't play like those guys in his first 9 games of action, and that's considered a negative?  Is that where we're at?  Our rookie isn't on the level of the all-time greats after 9 games, so we can't have any faith in him???  I say again: Josh Allen looked like an all-time flop as a rookie, heading towards an epic BUST of a career.  Now, a couple of years later, people are falling all over themselves talking about how amazing he is (and ignoring the fact that he's still inaccurate...)  I wonder if Bills fans dug Allen's grave when he was a rookie?

I remember the days when players actually got a chance to develop, and their own fans encouraged them and showed patience.  Now, at the first sign of blood in the water, we swarm and take him down.  It's a shame.  

That isn't what I said. I said he hasn't showed that YET. My examples were guys that changed the teams they were on, that elusive "IT" factor that everyone around here vomited out about many, many QBs we've had around here (rather their lack thereof).

I'm rooting for Tua big time because the kid loves the game, he is dedicated, has a great work ethic, and a desire to succeed. He just needs to prove it on the field now.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 13, 2021 10:42 pm

Degarmo wrote:
JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:

With few rare exceptions, no one knows if a rookie QB will be "the guy".  I don't understand why Tua has to be a Hall of Famer overnight for him to be given a chance.

Tom Brady, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Payton Manning, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers...REALLY??? Tua didn't play like those guys in his first 9 games of action, and that's considered a negative?  Is that where we're at?  Our rookie isn't on the level of the all-time greats after 9 games, so we can't have any faith in him???  I say again: Josh Allen looked like an all-time flop as a rookie, heading towards an epic BUST of a career.  Now, a couple of years later, people are falling all over themselves talking about how amazing he is (and ignoring the fact that he's still inaccurate...)  I wonder if Bills fans dug Allen's grave when he was a rookie?

I remember the days when players actually got a chance to develop, and their own fans encouraged them and showed patience.  Now, at the first sign of blood in the water, we swarm and take him down.  It's a shame.  

That isn't what I said.  I said he hasn't showed that YET.  My examples were guys that changed the teams they were on, that elusive "IT" factor that everyone around here vomited out about many, many QBs we've had around here (rather their lack thereof).  

But why even bring those names up? Did anyone really believe Tua was going to come in halfway through the season and play like a Hall of Famer, less than a year after a devastating injury? Of course he hasn't shown that type of Hall of Fame ability yet. Very few rookie QBs do...not even the aforementioned Peyton Manning, and for that matter Aaron Rodgers was a benchwarmer his first few years. Patience, people.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 pm

You bring those names up because that's what we want Tua to become, and what he's measured against because of where he was chosen and how he was touted. It's not comparing his ability right now to them, it's comparing his career to theirs. His career isn't over.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 14, 2021 4:48 pm

I'm just glad Waddle has respect for Tua. I think Tua needs a confidence boost and so does the team. A highly touted player in Tua's corner is definitely a good thing.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm

Degarmo wrote:You bring those names up because that's what we want Tua to become, and what he's measured against because of where he was chosen and how he was touted.  It's not comparing his ability right now to them, it's comparing his career to theirs.  His career isn't over.

Just seems like you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you set the bar that high for ANY rookie. Legendary status like the names you mentioned is extremely rare. I love Tua, but I'm not expecting him to be one of the all-time greats. If he gets there, that would be awesome...but I just need him to be a great player that wins games and hopefully gets us a Super Bowl(s).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 14, 2021 4:57 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I'm just glad Waddle has respect for Tua. I think Tua needs a confidence boost and so does the team. A highly touted player in Tua's corner is definitely a good thing.

It's a different situation this season, with Fitz gone. He was probably the most likeable player the Dolphins have had in many years, and players practically worshiped him. Tua, as great a person as he is in his own right, couldn't compete with that. I have no doubt Tua's work ethic and personality will win the locker room over soon enough if it hasn't already, as he did at Bama. But I do think that was a big reason to let Fitz walk - to make it clear that this is Tua's team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next