The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cut List

+3
JEGnj
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Cut List  Empty The Cut List

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:55 pm

Doaks and Perry didn't make it, but neither did Strowbridge. The Brazilian O-lineman is gone too.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/31/which-miami-dolphins-players-have-been-cut-in-roster-purge/

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

The Cut List  Empty Re: The Cut List

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:07 pm

And here's the official 53-man roster. For now.

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/meet-the-2021-miami-dolphins-53-man-roster-announced.

At least my boy Trill "Better Than Iggy" Williams made it cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:56 pm

How many of these guys did we use draft picks on either in the draft or FA?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 pm

More thoughts: did they really need to keep SIX safeties??? There are as many players there as on the D-line, which is crazy Shocked scratch I've literally never heard of this Jamal Perry guy before, and yet he stays? Anyone else have some info on him? And just three RBs? I know Grier and Flores don't value that position at all but still...

Remember, Will Fuller is not officially on the roster for the opener. When I counted there were 25 players on offense, 25 on D and the three special teams only guys so somebody is still getting released after the Pats game. Then again I did hear that Cethan Carter's being moved to IR so that would free up a spot.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:16 pm

CarsonChris wrote:How many of these guys did we use draft picks on either in the draft or FA?

Doaks from this class is gone. Ordinarily I wouldn't sweat the loss of a 7th rounder but Grier saw fit to ignore Javonte Williams to take Doaks. Fellow 7th rounder Larnel Coleman is on IR and done for the season, which is essentially the same as being cut.

Perry (7th) and Strowbridge (5th) from last year's draft are now gone. Fellow 2020 5th rounder Curtis Weaver never even played a down for the team, and just got cut from the Browns.

Skura and McKinney were supposed to be starters but instead were massive Grier whiffs.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:45 pm

Two pitiful drafts and FA years from Grier.
JEGnj
JEGnj

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:13 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:How many of these guys did we use draft picks on either in the draft or FA?

Doaks from this class is gone. Ordinarily I wouldn't sweat the loss of a 7th rounder but Grier saw fit to ignore Javonte Williams to take Doaks. Fellow 7th rounder Larnel Coleman is on IR and done for the season, which is essentially the same as being cut.

Perry (7th) and Strowbridge (5th) from last year's draft are now gone. Fellow 2020 5th rounder Curtis Weaver never even played a down for the team, and just got cut from the Browns.

Skura and McKinney were supposed to be starters but instead were massive Grier whiffs.

Javonte Williams was never going to be a Dolphin pick, and Doaks really has nothing to do with him.

Skura and McKinney getting cut is a GOOD thing...it means we have younger players that stepped up and were able to take their jobs. That's exactly what you want to happen.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 am

JEGnj wrote:Two pitiful drafts and FA years from Grier.

I think the last 2 drafts were great, and have set us up to be a contender. Got a franchise QB, rebuilt the OL and DL, and added playmakers on offense and defense. I don't know what more anyone could ask for.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:24 am

JMP wrote:

I think the last 2 drafts were great, and have set us up to be a contender.  Got a franchise QB, rebuilt the OL and DL, and added playmakers on offense and defense.  I don't know what more anyone could ask for.

I do. How about first rounders Jackson and Iggy not being total busts? You just cannot waste draft capital like that. It's bad enough with the Tua thing but going 1 for 3 (maybe) in a first round is as bad as almost any other NFL GM could do. I say almost because there are probably 2-3 other GMs who'd totally whiff on all 3 picks.

Also, it would've been nice not to have 3 players from last year's class already gone. That's five players from the 2020 class already who Grier might as well not have drafted. Be better, Grier!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:25 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Remember, Will Fuller is not officially on the roster for the opener. When I counted there were 25 players on offense, 25 on D and the three special teams only guys so somebody is still getting released after the Pats game. Then again I did hear that Cethan Carter's being moved to IR so that would free up a spot.

correct. Fuller will not count until after the first game. the Phins might be keeping Carter on the 53 for now so they can place him on the returnable-IR. there is also a chance (i hope not) that someone gets hurt in game 1 opening up a spot. they may also drop one of the back end DBs to activate Fuller.

and lets not forget there may be the inevitable bottom of the roster churn when Miami wades through other team's cuts.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:

I think the last 2 drafts were great, and have set us up to be a contender.  Got a franchise QB, rebuilt the OL and DL, and added playmakers on offense and defense.  I don't know what more anyone could ask for.

I do. How about first rounders Jackson and Iggy not being total busts? You just cannot waste draft capital like that. It's bad enough with the Tua thing but going 1 for 3 (maybe) in a first round is as bad as almost any other NFL GM could do. I say almost because there are probably 2-3 other GMs who'd totally whiff on all 3 picks.

Also, it would've been nice not to have 3 players from last year's class already gone. That's five players from the 2020 class already who Grier might as well not have drafted. Be better, Grier!!!

Jackson wasn't a bust last season, and he'll be better this season. People are drooling over Mekhi Becton, but Jackson was better than him last season. For that matter, he was better than Andrew Thomas too - and Thomas was a top 5 pick.

Who is gone from last year's draft class? Two 5th rounders and a 7th rounder. And there's a good chance two of those guys end up on the PS...so that's really only one guy that's gone. Day 3 picks often don't work out. What about the other EIGHT players that are still on the team...6 of them starting???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:40 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

the Phins might be keeping Carter on the 53 for now so they can place him on the returnable-IR.

Yes, I think that is the likely plan.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 am

DolFan 316 wrote:More thoughts: did they really need to keep SIX safeties??? There are as many players there as on the D-line, which is crazy Shocked scratch I've literally never heard of this Jamal Perry guy before, and yet he stays? Anyone else have some info on him? And just three RBs? I know Grier and Flores don't value that position at all but still...

Jamal Perry is Jomal Wiltz...he changed his name and is heading into his third season as a Dolphin.

The final roster is not set...there will be lots of shuffling around with those bottom spots. I do expect another RB to be added at some point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:49 am

JMP wrote:Jackson wasn't a bust last season, and he'll be better this season.  People are drooling over Mekhi Becton, but Jackson was better than him last season.  For that matter, he was better than Andrew Thomas too - and Thomas was a top 5 pick.

Who is gone from last year's draft class?  Two 5th rounders and a 7th rounder.  And there's a good chance two of those guys end up on the PS...so that's really only one guy that's gone.  Day 3 picks often don't work out.  What about the other EIGHT players that are still on the team...6 of them starting???  

Funny you should say that. This assessment of the Fins' 2020 class is harsh but true IMO.

https://www.capologydepartment.com/dolphins-draft-grade-2021/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dolphins-draft-grade-2021

The 2020 haul was terrible, Tua Tagovailoa looked like a high schooler, Austin Jackson looked even worse, and Noah Igbinoghene barely even found the field. Their 2nd round selections weren’t as horrid, but didn’t exactly light it up either. Robert Hunt and Raekwon Davis showed promise as contributors, but neither was able to post a PFF score above 72. Which puts A LOT of pressure on this crop of guys coming in, now, the Dolphins also added some talent offensively that should help some of the guys from last year. Bringing in Will Fuller V to pair with DeVante Parker is intriguing and veteran center Matt Skura might be able to help Jackson/Hunt grow into the players Miami thought they were getting.

Except that Skura got cut. Whoops. Also, I keep hearing that Rousseau is looking a lot better than Phillips, and that's a problem since he's a Bill. I've been over the whole "starting by default" thing so much that it's not worth mentioning again except to say it's the only reason Jackson and Iggy didn't get cut this time.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 am

JMP I don't follow the ins and outs like you guys but we spent 4 top picks and OL and I think 4-5 FA/trades and we are still not sure if there is a solid starting 5.
Seems we had a few trades on flyers that amounted to cuts.
QB was going to be Tua or Herbert. I'm supporting our guys 100% but we have to wait years to see how this turns out.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 am

JMP wrote:Jamal Perry is Jomal Wiltz...he changed his name and is heading into his third season as a Dolphin.

Okay thanks, I remember that happening now. What I don't remember is Wiltz/Perry actually doing anything.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Jackson wasn't a bust last season, and he'll be better this season.  People are drooling over Mekhi Becton, but Jackson was better than him last season.  For that matter, he was better than Andrew Thomas too - and Thomas was a top 5 pick.

Who is gone from last year's draft class?  Two 5th rounders and a 7th rounder.  And there's a good chance two of those guys end up on the PS...so that's really only one guy that's gone.  Day 3 picks often don't work out.  What about the other EIGHT players that are still on the team...6 of them starting???  

Funny you should say that. This assessment of the Fins' 2020 class is harsh but true IMO.

https://www.capologydepartment.com/dolphins-draft-grade-2021/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dolphins-draft-grade-2021

The 2020 haul was terrible, Tua Tagovailoa looked like a high schooler, Austin Jackson looked even worse, and Noah Igbinoghene barely even found the field. Their 2nd round selections weren’t as horrid, but didn’t exactly light it up either. Robert Hunt and Raekwon Davis showed promise as contributors, but neither was able to post a PFF score above 72. Which puts A LOT of pressure on this crop of guys coming in, now, the Dolphins also added some talent offensively that should help some of the guys from last year. Bringing in Will Fuller V to pair with DeVante Parker is intriguing and veteran center Matt Skura might be able to help Jackson/Hunt grow into the players Miami thought they were getting.

Except that Skura got cut. Whoops. Also, I keep hearing that Rousseau is looking a lot better than Phillips, and that's a problem since he's a Bill. I've been over the whole "starting by default" thing so much that it's not worth mentioning again except to say it's the only reason Jackson and Iggy didn't get cut this time.

That article is complete bullshit and has no value whatsoever.

Jackson isn't starting by default, nor are any of the other starters from last year's draft class. They're startng because they earned their jobs - they beat the competition. Don't look at PFF scores...watch the games and see how these guys actually perform. We won 10 games last season with all of these "scrubs", and scored the 4th most points in team history.

And I don't see why you are so hung up on Skura. It's a GOOD thing that one of our draft picks was able to outperform a veteran center that started for several years on a perennial playoff team.

Rousseau looks better than Phillips??? First of all, they play different positions. Second of all, Phillips has been injured. Third of all, the season hasn't started yet. If the Phins had drafted Rousseau, you would have been pissing all over them for drafting a one-year wonder that never produced against good teams, opted out last season and looked like crap in his pre-draft workouts.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:25 am

JMP wrote:Rousseau looks better than Phillips???  First of all, they play different positions.  Second of all, Phillips has been injured.  Third of all, the season hasn't started yet.  If the Phins had drafted Rousseau, you would have been pissing all over them for drafting a one-year wonder that never produced against good teams, opted out last season and looked like crap in his pre-draft workouts.

How would that be different than me pissing all over who they actually draft? Razz

And admit it, when I say someone's a bad pick how often am I right?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:48 pm

The drafting has been great the past few seasons. Look at them and see who all are starters or contributors. Sure some still have work to do and need to step up, but they are young players as well and Covid has stunted a lot of work for all young players. Give it time. They are not going to hit on everyone and anyone sweating late round picks not becoming stars aren't being reasonable. But I get it, we are harder than our own team, especially one that has been losing for a long time, than we are on other teams who go through the same thing. The bottom line is, look at where this team was at the beginning of 2019 compared to now.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:20 pm

I agree the drafting has been BETTER than the woeful drafting the Phins USUALLY have, but so far, Grier has drafted players who start by default or because the Phisn are in development mode. There are no STARS!! Nobody that would make a Phins Phan cry if he were traded away!

Three first rounders should producer at least one IMPACT player, one star! Maybe that will be Tua? Jackson is only serviceable and Iggy looks out of place occasionally and no way he should have been drafted in the 1st round we can all say for certain now IMO.

Ask yourself this... when their contracts are up, will any of us be sorry if the Phins decide to part ways with them? Wilkins say?

At some point, Grier has GOT to draft some impact players. Otherwise, being simply good at drafting instead of awful is not going to get the Phins over the hump IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:48 pm

And Perry is now a Patriot. Seems apropos in a twisted sort of way. Also, Flores felt the need to bring in yet *another* DB which makes absolutely no sense. And Jamal Perry was cut to make room. I didn't feel like he should've survived yesterday to begin with and even *I* feel bad for the guy because I have empathy.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/9/1/22652493/dolphins-claim-elijah-campbell-from-jets-lose-malcolm-perry-to-patriots

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:55 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Jamal Perry is Jomal Wiltz...he changed his name and is heading into his third season as a Dolphin.

Okay thanks, I remember that happening now. What I don't remember is Wiltz/Perry actually doing anything.

He's good on STs and had an INT and 6 passes defenses last season. Certainly not a star, but a solid back-of-the-roster player.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:05 pm

JMP wrote:He's good on STs and had an INT and 6 passes defenses last season.  Certainly not a star, but a solid back-of-the-roster player.

Actually that was 2019. Perry had just one pass deflection last season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WiltJo01.htm

At least his one career INT was against the Jets and it was a rather important one, coming after the Jets had driven to the 2. They would get the ball back just one play later (safety) and kick a FG right before the half, but preventing what looked like a sure TD in an 8-point win is fairly huge I'd say.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911030mia.htm

EDIT: I'd actually forgotten that was the first win of the Flores Era at a time when we all thought they might go 0-16 cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Yes, that was 2019. And speaking of Perry/Wiltz, his Dolphins career may not last much longer: the Phins claimed CB Elijah Campbell today. They have not yet announced who they cut, but IMO it could be Perry.

And speaking of Perry's, the fucking Patriots signed Malcolm Perry!! Mad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:22 pm

JMP wrote:Yes, that was 2019.  And speaking of Perry/Wiltz, his Dolphins career may not last much longer: the Phins claimed CB Elijah Campbell today.  They have not yet announced who they cut, but IMO it could be Perry.

And speaking of Perry's, the fucking Patriots signed Malcolm Perry!!   Mad

You must be really busy at work, I posted the same thing right above you Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next