The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates

+2
white1
finfanatic
6 posters

Go down

Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates Empty Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates

Post by finfanatic Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:28 pm

I suspect Ross is gonna go full-fledged Wayne Huizenga on us and keep Dave Wannstedt..er... Grier/Flores, but...

I had a rather intense talk with my So Fla friend the other day and he hears the locker room is starting to rumble that maybe Flores is not the man to fix things?

Just rumor at this point, but there HAS TO BE something else up to explain the defense looking like crap on a cracker.

Anyway...

Here is the gist of the new HC Candidates we discussed. I just wanted to see what you phellow Phin Phans thought:

Brian Daboll - Offensive guy who has a ton of experience. He is credited with Josh Allen's emergence. That ain't looking so good right now, but...

Eric Bienienmy - Another Offensive Guy. I think he would really work well with Tua.

Todd Bowles - He probably should have gotten the HCing job that time he was the interim HC. But he is a Defensive guy. I think the Phins HAVE TO HAVE AN Offensive guy.

And here is who I think might be worth a serious look: Doug Pederson! He got scroogied by the Eagles owner I believe. When Frank Reich left, Carson Wentz started stinking it up, and Pederson just
did not stand up enough to the Owner.

Again, I do not think Ross is going to make any changes. So this is just for discussion.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates Empty Re: Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates

Post by white1 Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:04 pm

Great thoughts FF and agree on your thinking that Ross probably won’t make a move unless the Texans game is our last win of the year.

I have to say…. I’m not all that excited about anyone on this list. Bienemy prob the best but apparently his background is too toxic for any team to hire him. Interview yes but not hire.

We should think GM first because that’s the first ane correct move. Flores reports to Grier, or the next Grier. Let him keep or fire Flores.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates Empty Re: Miami Dolphins New Head Coach Candidates

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Still remember the last time Daboll was in Miami. Based on that and the Jags debacle I would pass.

Bienemy literally has a criminal past. He's essentially the Watson of NFL coaches. Pass.

As you say, we don't need another defensive guy, so pass on Bowles.

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with different teams, and Peterson won't be the first. He's more likely to be cancelled given the current social climate, the high and mighty analytics community already despises him for being honest about tanking a season finale when hundreds of other coaches have done it.

I have no idea who the next coach should be, but there seems to be no shortage of "young offensive minds" under 40. Kliff Kingsbury seems to be working out fine in Arizona. Zac Taylor had the Bengals at 5-2 but the jury's still out on him. I'd take one of those types if they agreed to leave the ego and inflexibility at the door.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:29 pm

Gotta be up to the new GM, but I would like to see Pederson interviewed at least.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 pm

I do like the idea of Doug Pederson. He might have the ability to assemble a quality staff. We need a quality offensive line coach and offensive coordinator.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am

I really don't know who I'd take. I have yet to think of a candidate that "makes my toes tingle", as Mad Dog Mandich used to say.

Pederson scares me...he completely lost the locker room in Philly near the end.

Part of me would like to see an innovative offensive coach from college. I know this would never happen because, despite tremendous recent success, it's still a small school, but I really love the job Jamey Chadwell has done with Coastal Carolina. He's managed to put together one of the top offenses in the country, and his defense is also top 15. He's won coach of year honors at both the FCS and FBS levels, and he is no doubt a rising star. Like I said, I don't think he'll be an NFL coach any time soon, and maybe not ever, but I think the Phins need to use some outside-the-box thinking for the next head coach.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:50 pm

I think most of Pederson's troubles were trying to appease the Owner and that ended up backfiring as he got shytecanned anyway...

Anyway... I doubt Pederson would WANT to come to Miami, but I think he could put together an offensive staff that could take the current chicken "feathers" and make chicken salad. He would need a good DC though.

And without a top notch GM who knows how to run the draft, it will not matter who the HC is IMO.

I doubt Ross will do anything, but it has become obvious IMHO:

ONE - Grier should be fired. He cannot handle free agency (this season ALONE should get him fired) and his drafts are just not working out. Some of the picks make me think he has no idea how to set up a draft board. Or maybe just the conclusions he is making about the roster to set up his draft board are not correct. In any event... he got to go!

TWO - Flores - Like I said elsewhere... One OC leaves, it may be him... two leave, then it is probably YOU! I think Flores is the perfect example of a DC who cannot stop making decisions for the offense based on his love of his defense. I call this the Dumbarse Dave Wannstedt disease! Couple this with the fact that Flores is actually to blame for the O-line Coach or lack thereof this season... And any sane person has to wonder if he is CAPABLE Of assembling a quality staff for the offense. And WHY the defense suddenly and inexplicably stinks as well, when he is the major factor in how it was assembled! If Ross still has any confidence left in Flores, I may begin to wonder if Ross is as clueless as Wayne Huizenga.

I suspect Ross will give Grier and Flores another chance, and they will make some dumb personnel decisions, and next season will be an almost spitting image of this season. Just another in a long line of completely WASTED seasons.

I am all for STABILITY, but how much more do you need to see to realize the Grier/Flores experiment is not working. This was a coaching and personnel failure of epic proportions this season. And Grier and Flores were in complete charge of this debacle. There is nobody else to blame.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:03 pm

Huizenga struck the world as a villain, particularly in the aftermath of the Marlins' World Series win in '97, but I ended up feeling very badly for him.

The man honestly tried to win. And spared no expense in doing so. He opened the wallet for Shula's 1995 FA spree, went out and hired Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, and Bill Parcells when each was considered to be the very best man you could go out and get to turn your team around. He hired Wannstedt on Jimmy's recommendation that Wanny was the best possible man. It isn't Wayne's fault that Jimmy gave him bad advice--Huizenga didn't try to pretend that he knew anything about football, he listened to the guys who knew more than he did and acted on their advice, consistently.

It just so happened that it never worked out in any of those cases, but it honestly, truly was not Wayne's fault. Other than keeping Bumstedt about 1 1/2 years past the point that everyone else knew it wasn't a good idea, that is--but really, that's the only thing I can blame him for.

I'd take Huizenga back in a heartbeat over Ross.

HalCHorn

JMP, DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:35 pm

I didn't get to read it yet, but here's an NFL.com article about young coaches that could make the jump to head coach soon:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nathaniel-hackett-byron-leftwich-patrick-graham-among-young-nfl-coaches-to-watch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:06 pm

I don't want anyone else with links to the Pats. Doesn't seem to work anywhere else but NE.

Give me Hackett or Downing, based on these write ups.

Kafka my distant third candidate.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:11 pm

KAFKA?!?! What's so special about a guy who writes books about guys turning into cockroaches overnight? Shocked

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:12 pm

lol
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Just read the article.

I like Hackett too - his father was a long-time offensive coach, so you know he's been around football his entire life.

Bubba Ventrone is very intriguing to me - I've heard he has an excellent reputation.

If Flores stays, I hope he can somehow get Kafka to be the OC. I wanted him last offseason as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down