The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins Empty Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 pm

It wasn’t exactly pretty, but the Dolphins beat the Giants 20-9 today, winning their 5th game in a row and heading into the bye week at 6-7.

The Dolphin defense put forth another dominant effort, holding the Giants to just 250 total yards and collecting an INT and 3 sacks.  Andrew Van Ginkel made plays all over the field all game, and Jevon Holland made some big plays throughout.  Xavien Howard had an INT to stop a Giants’ drive, and rookie Jae Phillips had back-to-back sacks on a key series late in the third quarter.   It was yet another game where everyone on D made plays, from Sam Eguavoen to Zach Seiler to Christian Wilkins to Duke Riley and everyone in between.  The D did give up a few first downs in 3rd and long situations, but I’m not going to complain about a unit that gave up less than 10 points and shut down the opposition all day.

The offense, unfortunately, struggled quite a bit at times, but ultimately they did just enough to win.   Tua played a smart, efficient game, completing over 73% of his passes for 244 yards and 2 TDs, highlighted by a near-perfect scoring drive late in the first half that saw the QB complete 11 of 12 passes.  Tua’s day would have looked even better if not for big drops by Mike Gesicki, Jaylen Waddle and Albert Wilson, each of which would have been first down yardage.  Having DeVante Parker back in the lineup was huge, as he caught all 5 of his targets for 62 yards, including a huge sideline catch late in the game.  Waddle led all receivers with 9 catches for 90 yards.  He seemingly got hurt late, but it turned out to be cramps.  Gesicki had 7 catches for just 46 yards, but a couple of those were key plays.  Mack Hollins caught his only pass, a juggling sideline catch for the Dolphins’ first TD.  The OL was better than usual in pass protection, but was absolutely dreadful in run blocking as the backs struggled to find room all day.  Center Michael Deiter played a strong game in his return from injury, while rookie LT Liam Eichenberg continued to struggle.   Credit to Myles Gaskin and the OL for churning out some tough rushing yards on the game-sealing nearly 4-minute FG drive.

I do have to point out one series in particular: the Dolphins’ second TD drive, early in the 4th quarter.  On that drive, Tua completed consecutive passes of 25, 11 and 13 yards.  On the TD, Tua made an absolutely amazing play, beginning with a sweet fake handoff (almost a Statue of Liberty type play), then he rolled out, manipulated two or 3 defenders with his eyes and body angle, and then hit a wide-open Isaiah Ford near the pylon for the score.  It was truly an excellent play, with Tua showing savvy smarts that are usually reserved for season veterans.  Those types of plays are what separates Tua from the pack.

Jason Sanders missed a 52 yard FG, but did hit two 48-yarders, including one late that sealed the game.  Punter Mike Palardy was again excellent, with 3 punts downed inside the 20.

The lack of offensive consistency, particularly in the run game and the offensive line in general, remains very concerning.  But the passing game seems to be getting better each week, and combined with a defense that is playing absolutely lights out, the Dolphins have found a formula for success.  Heading into the bye week, the Phins have a chance to recharge before beginning a 4-game stretch against the Jets, Saints, Titans and Patriots that will determine just how far this suddenly-surging team can go.

Hero of the Game:  The entire defense was deserving, but I’ll give it to rookie phenom Jae Phillips for his back-to-back 4th quarter sacks.  Phillips now has 8.5 sacks on the season, a Dolphins rookie record.

Goat of the Game: Liam Eichenberg, for allowing several pressures (including a sack deep in Miami’s end) and committing a false start.  In college, Eichenberg was about as solid a lineman as you’ll ever see, with near-perfect technique.  In the NFL, he’s an absolute trainwreck.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 pm

Forgot to mention: Waddle set the franchise rookie record for receptions. He now has 86 catches, and is on pace to smash the NFL rookie record.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 13 Giants at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:16 pm

And:

Hunter Long sightings: he had 1 catch for 8 yards, and I saw him throw a nice block on a Gaskin red zone run.

Iggy sighting: 15 yard penalty on special teams...fortunately the Giants also had a penalty on the play, so they off-set.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:17 pm

One hidden stat was that the Fins actually led in time of possession, meaning that unlike the games during the 1-7 start the D wasn't on the field for 60-75% of the game and was able to stay fresh enough to avoid collapsing late.

I am even more convinced than I already was that the first pick of next year's draft HAS to be OT. The only exception I'd make is if Treylon Burks was still around because he's the big bodied WR this offense needs to replace Parker. But that's it.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:19 pm

JMP wrote:And:

Hunter Long sightings: he had 1 catch for 8 yards, and I saw him throw a nice block on a Gaskin red zone run.

Iggy sighting: 15 yard penalty on special teams...fortunately the Giants also had a penalty on the play, so they off-set.

In every mock draft I've been doing (yes, I've already started LOL) I take a CB in the middle rounds specifically to replace Iggy. He just cannot be on this team next season. Period.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm

JMP wrote:Forgot to mention: Waddle set the franchise rookie record for receptions. He now has 86 catches, and is on pace to smash the NFL rookie record.

I apologize for being so mad about him being the pick over Smith (even though I still think Smith would've done at least as well and maybe a bit better in this offense). The problem wasn't the player, but the trade up to get him when the Eagles were able to get Smith at 10 was just...boneheaded. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad That's not Waddle's fault, though.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Tua won in spite of terrible play calling, a terrible offensive line, and terrible running. That is heroic in my book.

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:26 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Tua won in spite of terrible play calling, a terrible offensive line, and terrible running. That is heroic in my book.

CC finally coming around on Tua might be the biggest Christmas miracle of them all! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:35 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Tua won in spite of terrible play calling, a terrible offensive line, and terrible running. That is heroic in my book.

It's literally like Tua is trying to swim upstream, in white-water conditions.  Nearly everything is against him with this offense, and he just keeps finding a way to succeed.  It is amazing to watch...really something special.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:38 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Forgot to mention: Waddle set the franchise rookie record for receptions. He now has 86 catches, and is on pace to smash the NFL rookie record.

I apologize for being so mad about him being the pick over Smith (even though I still think Smith would've done at least as well and maybe a bit better in this offense). The problem wasn't the player, but the trade up to get him when the Eagles were able to get Smith at 10 was just...boneheaded. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad That's not Waddle's fault, though.

I still have no problem at all with the trade, because we got extra picks - including a first in 2023 - and still got the guy we targeted.  I'll take that every time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:47 pm

JMP wrote:I still have no problem at all with the trade, because we got extra picks - including a first in 2023 - and still got the guy we targeted.  I'll take that every time.

Grier could've gotten another first next year and kept his own simply by trading from 3 to 6. That's all he needed to do. But instead he had to get cutesy and trade all the way down to 12 before--surprise surprise--he realized he traded down too far and then felt he had to make up for it.

The truly sad part is that it's obvious the Fins could've had Waddle OR Smith if Grier had just stayed at 12! Remember, the Cowboys originally had the #10 pick they traded to Philly--there's no way they make that trade with a division rival if they were going to take a WR. The Eagles take one of the two at 6, and the other CLEARLY would've fallen to Grier at 12 given how the rest of the top 11 picks wound up.

It was just another example of typical Fins draft logic. Pick a bad player/make a bad trade and then compound it by having to draft another player to replace the bad one or do another trade to minimize the damage from the first one.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 pm

I didn't like any of the first round receivers. I liked Parsons. Maybe an OT.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:56 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I didn't like any of the first round receivers. I liked Parsons. Maybe an OT.

An OT at 6 would not have done squat with this O-line coach. Some might say Sewell should've been the pick but when he played RT during preseason (where he would've been playing for this team to best protect Tua) he sucked so much the Lions moved him to the left. The way the D is playing now, Parsons wasn't really needed and remember, he had serious character concerns before the draft (that somehow have magically disappeared).

Waddle (or Smith) was the best pick this team could've made under the circumstances after the first trade down. That's not the issue. The issue is what Grier was swindled into giving up. The Eagles played him like a fiddle. It's almost certain Smith was the guy they wanted all along at 6, but they managed to get him at 10 *and* the Fins' first rounder next year thanks to You Know Who goofing up by trading down 9 freaking spots to begin with. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Raiders and 49ers losing? Good. Ravens choking the Steelers game away? Not good.

Bills *must* beat the Pats tomorrow night if not sweep them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:16 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I still have no problem at all with the trade, because we got extra picks - including a first in 2023 - and still got the guy we targeted.  I'll take that every time.

Grier could've gotten another first next year and kept his own simply by trading from 3 to 6. That's all he needed to do. But instead he had to get cutesy and trade all the way down to 12 before--surprise surprise--he realized he traded down too far and then felt he had to make up for it.

The truly sad part is that it's obvious the Fins could've had Waddle OR Smith if Grier had just stayed at 12! Remember, the Cowboys originally had the #10 pick they traded to Philly--there's no way they make that trade with a division rival if they were going to take a WR. The Eagles take one of the two at 6, and the other CLEARLY would've fallen to Grier at 12 given how the rest of the top 11 picks wound up.

It was just another example of typical Fins draft logic. Pick a bad player/make a bad trade and then compound it by having to draft another player to replace the bad one or do another trade to minimize the damage from the first one.

There's many ways to look at that trade, but I'm not going to complain about adding Waddle AND a 3rd AND a 1st. That's a win in my book.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:18 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Raiders and 49ers losing? Good. Ravens choking the Steelers game away? Not good.

Bills *must* beat the Pats tomorrow night if not sweep them.

Why the hell did the Ravens go for 2??? I'm all for being aggressive, but kick the damn XP and go to overtime. Stupid...especially running a 2-point play where Jackson stays in the pocket with no opportunity to run. Totally asinine.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:22 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

An OT at 6 would not have done squat with this O-line coach. Some might say Sewell should've been the pick but when he played RT during preseason (where he would've been playing for this team to best protect Tua) he sucked so much the Lions moved him to the left. The way the D is playing now, Parsons wasn't really needed and remember, he had serious character concerns before the draft (that somehow have magically disappeared).

Completely agree. Parsons is having a helluva season, but he has 10 sacks and Phillips has 8.5. I know Parsons does more than get sacks, but I'm not sure he moves the needle anymore than what we have now.

No way we should have drafted OL in the top 10. We drafted Eich in round 2, who, as far as OL "statistics" go, really wasn't far off from the top guys that were drafted. But as we've seen, drafting OL is useless until we get a real OL coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:29 pm

JMP wrote:There's many ways to look at that trade, but I'm not going to complain about adding Waddle AND a 3rd AND a 1st.  That's a win in my book.

It's easy to say that *now*. A month ago it really did look like Grier handed the Eagles a top 3 pick on a silver platter. If he wanted Waddle at 6 then he should've traded down from 3 to 6, period. It looks like the Fins' first and the 49ers' first round picks will be about the same, and may even be right next to each other. So the trade up to 6 from 12 AT BEST gave the Fins a first that was...pretty much what they would've had if they hadn't made the trade at all.

OR...they could've stayed put, had *two* firsts next year (which they could've even used as a package to move up into the top 5) and gotten Waddle/Smith anyway. Here's how. The Falcons and Bengals clearly didn't want either of them at 4 or 5. The Eagles were pretty clearly taking one of them at 6. The Lions, Panthers and Broncos obviously didn't want a WR at picks 7-9.

That leaves the Cowboys at 10. They obviously were going D since they were 28th in points allowed last season and had already gone WR in the first the previous draft. If Surtain hadn't already been taken at 9 he'd have likely been their pick, which is why they agreed to trade down 2 spots to begin with. And it was clear to everyone before the draft that the Bears were going QB. Yes, they traded up to 11 with the Giants who took a WR but if anything that proves my point even more--if the Giants wanted a WR he was theirs for the taking at 11 and they passed.

The bottom line is Waddle could've been had at 12, or Grier could've simply traded down from 3 to 6, but instead chose the worst, most convoluted path to get him. Would you rather have two firsts next year or just one compared to Philly's three?

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 pm

JMP wrote:Completely agree.  Parsons is having a helluva season, but he has 10 sacks and Phillips has 8.5.  I know Parsons does more than get sacks, but I'm not sure he moves the needle anymore than what we have now.

No way we should have drafted OL in the top 10.  We drafted Eich in round 2, who, as far as OL "statistics" go, really wasn't far off from the top guys that were drafted.  But as we've seen, drafting OL is useless until we get a real OL coach.  

Nice to see us back to agreeing on something again cheers cheers cheers

Let's not forget that the Jets made Alijah Vera-Tucker the third OT drafted at 13, and I've heard nothing to indicate he's helped them be better in any way shape or form. I do remember Merc not wanting him, which is good enough for me to believe he'd have been awful too.

As for Slater, he's clearly in an environment much more conducive to O-line and general offensive success. No point playing the what if game with him.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:35 pm

JMP wrote:

It's literally like Tua is trying to swim upstream, in white-water conditions.  Nearly everything is against him with this offense, and he just keeps finding a way to succeed.  It is amazing to watch...really something special.

To back that up:

Aram Leighton

@AramLeighton8

·
5h
Dolphins offensive rankings:
QB Pressures: 31st
O-Line Rating: 32nd (PFF)
Pocket Time: 32nd
Rush YPG:31st
Rush YPC: 31st
Receiver Drops: 32nd

Quite literally couldn’t craft a worse situation for a young QB if they tried.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:36 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:There's many ways to look at that trade, but I'm not going to complain about adding Waddle AND a 3rd AND a 1st.  That's a win in my book.

It's easy to say that *now*. A month ago it really did look like Grier handed the Eagles a top 3 pick on a silver platter. If he wanted Waddle at 6 then he should've traded down from 3 to 6, period. It looks like the Fins' first and the 49ers' first round picks will be about the same, and may even be right next to each other. So the trade up to 6 from 12 AT BEST gave the Fins a first that was...pretty much what they would've had if they hadn't made the trade at all.

OR...they could've stayed put, had *two* firsts next year (which they could've even used as a package to move up into the top 5) and gotten Waddle/Smith anyway. Here's how. The Falcons and Bengals clearly didn't want either of them at 4 or 5. The Eagles were pretty clearly taking one of them at 6. The Lions, Panthers and Broncos obviously didn't want a WR at picks 7-9.

That leaves the Cowboys at 10. They obviously were going D since they were 28th in points allowed last season and had already gone WR in the first the previous draft. If Surtain hadn't already been taken at 9 he'd have likely been their pick, which is why they agreed to trade down 2 spots to begin with. And it was clear to everyone before the draft that the Bears were going QB. Yes, they traded up to 11 with the Giants who took a WR but if anything that proves my point even more--if the Giants wanted Waddle he was theirs for the taking at 11 and they passed.

The bottom line is Waddle could've been had at 12, or Grier could've simply traded down from 3 to 6, but instead chose the worst, most convoluted path to get him. Would you rather have two firsts next year or just one compared to Philly's three?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.  I'm extremely happy to have Waddle, and an extra 1st and 3rd.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm

JMP wrote:Why the hell did the Ravens go for 2???  I'm all for being aggressive, but kick the damn XP and go to overtime.  Stupid...especially running a 2-point play where Jackson stays in the pocket with no opportunity to run.  Totally asinine.

We need the Ravens to either beat the Browns, Bengals *and* Steelers, or lose 3 more times in the last 5 games. That's the only way the Fins' tiebreaker over them comes into play. A Steelers' loss would've all but broken them, but now they have life thanks to that damned Lions tie which might wind up being what keeps this team out of the playoffs even at 10-7.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:47 pm

Okay, I messed up. Now I realize why Philly traded up to 10 to begin with--they knew if they didn't then the Giants were likely taking Smith at 11. Too many draft trades to keep straight Laughing Embarassed

But that doesn't change the fact Grier goofed by trading down too far instead of just trading down to 6--or even slightly lower if he wanted. We know he could've traded down as far as 9 without losing out on Waddle--and this team would have two firsts next year.

But enough dead horse beating.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Hal Habib

@gunnerhal

Jaelan Phillips has six sacks in the past three games, including five sacks in the past two contests. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Phillips is the first NFL rookie since Julius Peppers in 2002 to record at least six sacks in a three-game span.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 pm

I just want to acknowledge that AVG has been playing like a maniacal beast since Flores took over the D.  AVG is probably the most underrated Dolphin IMO.  He is always near the ball and never quits.  Dude is relentless.   One of my favorites for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next