The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reasons to watch the final game

+3
CarsonChris
mercury22nathan
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Reasons to watch the final game Empty Reasons to watch the final game

Post by JMP Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:23 am

I know we're all pissed off and disappointed about the way this season ended. But there is still one game left, and here are some reasons to be invested in the game:

--The Dolphins have an opportunity to sweep the Patriots for the first time since 2000.
--The Dolphins have the opportunity to beat the Patriots for the third consecutive time. The last time that happened was when the Phins beat the Pats 5 times in a row, from 1999-2001.
--The Dolphins have an opportunity for back-to-back winning seasons. The last time that happened was when the Dolphins had 7 consecutive winning seasons, from 1997-2003.

--Jaylen Waddle needs 3 catches to set the rookie record for receptions. (Note that he's had less than 3 catches in just 1 game this season.)
--Waddle needs just 12 yards to reach 1000 and become the 11th Dolphins receiver to do so.

--As I mentioned, Christian Wilkins needs 7 tackles to set the single-season tackle record for defensive linemen.

--Tua could break the Dolphins' single-season completion percentage mark. The record was set by Ryan Fitzpatrick last season, with a completion percentage of 68.5. Tua is currently 2nd all-time for the Phins, with a 67.8 percentage.

Anyone know of any other possible records or notes of interest in this game?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Reasons to watch the final game Empty Re: Reasons to watch the final game

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:15 am

JMP wrote:--The Dolphins have an opportunity for back-to-back winning seasons.  The last time that happened was when the Dolphins had 7 consecutive winning seasons, from 1997-2003.

do they hand out trophies for that? sorry, that was snarky. but seriously, back-to-back non-playoff winning seasons. meaningless.

but yes, because a i am a Dolphins fan (despite how tough they make it) i enjoy seeing them win, just for the sake of winning.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:09 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:back-to-back non-playoff winning seasons.  meaningless.

It's not meaningless to me - winning more games than you lose is a positive accomplishment in my eyes, even if it doesn't come with a trophy.  It (consecutive winning seasons) hasn't happened for the Dolphins in almost 20 years.  

And look at the standings this season: the AFC #1 seed will have either 11 or 12 wins. We could end up with 9 wins.  It may not have earned us a playoff berth, but being within 2-3 games of the top conference team is pretty damn interesting to me.  (Of course, the fact that we lost 3 games we should have won makes me want to cry...we could easily be playing for the #1 seed this weekend...)

And hey - things can always be worse.  For example, we could be the 2020 Texans and go 4-12 with future Hall of Famer Deshaun Watson piling up gorgeous garbage-time stats.   Wink

Last edited by JMP on Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:32 pm

When Deshaun Watson gets here next year he's going to change a lot of peoples minds about using non prototype sized quarterbacks in the NFL. I give him 3 games behind this crappy offensive line before he's a chalk drawing on the field and a team of investigators comes out to detail what happened!

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:02 pm

CarsonChris wrote:When Deshaun Watson gets here next year he's going to change a lot of peoples minds about using non prototype sized quarterbacks in the NFL. I give him 3 games behind this crappy offensive line before he's a chalk drawing on the field and a team of investigators comes out to detail what happened!

Laughing

Considering that Watson was sacked 155 times (!!!) over his last 3 seasons, you may be right! Can you imagine if he was behind the Dolphins line this season???? Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:18 am

JMP wrote:It's not meaningless to me - winning more games than you lose is a positive accomplishment in my eyes, even if it doesn't come with a trophy.  It (consecutive winning seasons) hasn't happened for the Dolphins in almost 20 years.

and that's fine. we can all have different ideas of what we consider positive accomplishments. i just don't consider multiple playoff-less seasons despite the record as a positive. i would probably feel better if i felt this team was progressing, but it seems the same issues (especially on offense) which have plagued this team from the beginning of this regimes tenure (and before) are the same issues this team is facing now. and those are the same issues which are keeping this team from being a playoff team. i have no confidence this regime has the ability to fix these issues.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:54 am

Fair enough. I was just starting a thread to talk about some things I find intriguing in the final game. Sounds like there's no reason for you to watch it, so carry on! Wink

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:08 am

Oh I'll be watching.

Here's one that would be a BIG win for me.

Make the Patriots offense look below average and embarrass Mac Jones. THAT would make it all worthwhile (almost) Very Happy
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:19 am

JMP wrote:Sounds like there's no reason for you to watch it, so carry on!  Wink

of course i will watch. how else will i know what to complain about after the game?!?! Very Happy

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:11 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Make the Patriots offense look below average and embarrass Mac Jones. THAT would make it all worthwhile (almost)

Jones has been awful in 3 of his last 4 games (not that anyone in the media would ever tell you that...), and I think the Miami D can make him look bad. BUT...can we stop the run? That's the key - stop the run, and make Jones have to throw.

I'm sure our D is embarrassed after last week and will play with a chip on their collective shoulder in this final game. Let's hope it leads to a great effort like we saw throughout the win streak.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am

JMP wrote:BUT...can we stop the run?  

I'm sure our D is embarrassed after last week...

i went back and watched cutups of just the Titans running plays - and that is what really pissed me off. it was a joke the way our D-linemen were simply pushed out of the way (Wilkins in particular) creating huge running lanes. yes, the LBers and S missed some gap assignments, but it all starts up front. if your 300+ pounders are being cleared with ease, there is no hope in stopping the run game (or winning in general).

it was nothing fancy either. simply and man versus man test of who could push who - and Miami's guys lost, play after play after play. and then i got really pissed when thought about how easy it is to run the ball like that and wondering why Miami's o-line can't seem to do the same thing.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:37 pm

I will watch...if it is on.

Waddle does look like the next T Hill! I just think Jamar Chase might turn out to be BETTER!!!

Do you think the Phins are going to re-sign Wilkins? I wonder how much money he will want when his contract is up?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:35 am

Chase and Waddle are very different types of receivers. Hard to compare them. Waddle seems to be more versatile and more consistent, but they are both great in their own way.

Re-signing Wilkins is a must when the time comes. He gets better every season, and he's the heart and soul of the team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Since I’m Off this Weekend I will be Watching. Want to see if Tua does Better the 2nd Time against the Pats.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:46 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:BUT...can we stop the run?  

I'm sure our D is embarrassed after last week...

i went back and watched cutups of just the Titans running plays - and that is what really pissed me off.  it was a joke the way our D-linemen were simply pushed out of the way (Wilkins in particular) creating huge running lanes.  yes, the LBers and S missed some gap assignments, but it all starts up front.  if your 300+ pounders are being cleared with ease, there is no hope in stopping the run game (or winning in general).

it was nothing fancy either.  simply and man versus man test of who could push who - and Miami's guys lost, play after play after play.  and then i got really pissed when thought about how easy it is to run the ball like that and wondering why Miami's o-line can't seem to do the same thing.

Wilkins and Sieler are among the better run defenders in the league, and Davis is a beast. There is no excuse for them to get pushed around the way they did last week. I can't really explain it, but let's hope they have it figured out for tomorrow - because the Pats are going to try to do exactly what the Titans did.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:37 am

The good news is it's not a cold weather game. Tua's tiny little fingers can hold onto the ball!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:33 pm

CarsonChris wrote:The good news is it's not a cold weather game. Tua's tiny little fingers can hold onto the ball!

LOL Tua's throwing hand is actually very big.

Blame the coaches for last week, for not preparing for a wet game. Gesicki said they didn't practice/prepare for poor weather conditions at all. Terrible job by the staff.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:51 pm

I wish it was a 1:00 game so I don't have to waste my evening. I just want it over and move on. I'm so tired of the post season with no Dolphins.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down