The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The need for a veteran coaching presence.

3 posters

Go down

The need for a veteran coaching presence.  Empty The need for a veteran coaching presence.

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:25 pm

Miami's ability to score on offense was its downfall this year. We really weren't able to make necessary adjustments all season to get this offense firing. The RPO offense was terrible against good teams. It was only slightly better against bad teams. They had to design gimmick plays to try and score. This just isn't sustainable.

A quality offensive line coach and a top shelf offensive coordinator is needed in Miami. A coach that can get the most out of the players ability.

This team will disintegrate if it has another lackluster year on offense. This is a Flores issue. I believe he is intimidated by experienced coaches. To me, Flores needs to be restricted to the defensive side of the ball and a competent offensive coordinator needs to be brought in to fix the offense.

If we are going to succeed the offense needs to be able to score more often. The defense carried the team again by keeping scores low or scoring for the offense. As a team we score around 20 points a game. This includes defensive scoring and field goals from turnovers. This is pathetic. A change on offense is needed and it starts with coaching.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

The need for a veteran coaching presence.  Empty Re: The need for a veteran coaching presence.

Post by JMP Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Excellent post, Carson.

One thing I'd like to point out about the RPO: it only works if you have a run game that defenses have to respect. Without a run game, the RPO is almost useless. Tua had some success in RPO situations this year, in terms of his completion percentage - but it was almost exclusively on short passes. Ideally, the RPO is used to generate big pass plays...the idea being that the defense bites on the run, the QB pulls the ball back and hits an open receiver that then has room for yards-after-catch since the D played the run. That's the exact opposite of what happened to Miami this season: Tua would pull the ball back and then throw to receivers that were covered or surrounded by defenders, and got tackled as soon as they caught the pass...because no one on defense cared about the possible run.

Without a running game, defenses could afford to drop back and play coverage. As a result, Miami receivers had no space to operate in - YAC was nearly impossible. In an offense reliant on YAC, that's death.

Really, the bottom line here is what we've been saying all along: the offensive line is the root of all evil with this offense. But as bad as the pass protection has been - and it's been GODAWFUL - the real culprit is that we have all these 320 pound linemen that can't open even the tiniest crease when they run block, and we have small RBs that can't create their own holes. If you can't run the ball at all, you won't be able to pass at all - for the reasons I outlined above.

On paper, it's an easy fix: hire a veteran OC and a veteran OL coach, sign a couple of quality seasoned veteran linemen in free agency - one of which MUST be a center - and draft a big RB no later than round 3.

Again, on paper that's easy. The question is, are Grier and Flores capable of hiring quality offensive coaches, signing quality FA OL, and drafting a legit RB????? So far, they haven't been. But the future of this team depends on these two clowns learning from past mistakes and hitting home runs instead of striking out.

Until the coaching problem is solved, it really doesn't matter who we have at QB, RB or WR - the offense is not going to work. Flores did hire Caldwell and Gailey, so that tells me that he isn't against veteran coaches, but can he actually work with them? Caldwell never coached a game after his health concerns, and Flores and Gailey clearly didn't see eye to eye in their one season together. So who knows?

Grier and Flores are now on borrowed time. They have one offseason to do the right thing, or they're getting fired. One thing can save their jobs: FIX THE OFFENSE.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The need for a veteran coaching presence.  Empty Re: The need for a veteran coaching presence.

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:18 pm

Grier and Flores get another shot. They trade away the Phins future for Watson. The team tanks again, and then they clean house... yet again. But the mistakes have been made and it will take YEARS to recover.

The main problem is Ross. He stinks. All the problems the Phins have stem from that.

I have no idea how you fix THAT!!

And again, the next problem is the personnel /drafting.

Grier looks to have hit on some good ones this year, but he also completely whiffed on the free agents.

And I think the time has come to say taking Tua instead of Herbert is starting to look like the Ryan Lea or Peyton Manning decision!!

And I keep hearing, Ross was the one that wanted Tua. Who knows?

The team has some pieces, but as long as Flores gets to much up the coaching staff, Grier gets to screw up the personnel, and Ross is the owner, the Phins are fornicated!!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:00 pm

finfanatic wrote:Grier and Flores get another shot. They trade away the Phins future for Watson. The team tanks again, and then they clean house... yet again. But the mistakes have been made and it will take YEARS to recover.

The main problem is Ross. He stinks. All the problems the Phins have stem from that.

I have no idea how you fix THAT!!

And again, the next problem is the personnel /drafting.

Grier looks to have hit on some good ones this year, but he also completely whiffed on the free agents.

And I think the time has come to say taking Tua instead of Herbert is starting to look like the Ryan Lea or Peyton Manning decision!!  

And I keep hearing, Ross was the one that wanted Tua.   Who knows?

The team has some pieces, but as long as Flores gets to much up the coaching staff, Grier gets to screw up the personnel, and Ross is the owner, the Phins are fornicated!!!

Agree with most of that, FF - especially Ross being the source of everything bad with this team.

BUT...I'm not ready to say Tua over Herbert was a mistake. Let's see how Herbert performs in the biggest game of his life, Sunday in Vegas. If he chokes - as he often does in big games - and the Chargers miss the playoffs, then there really isn't much difference between Herbert and Tua. Assuming the Chargers lose (and I think they will), than here's where we are: in 2 years, Herbert has prettier stats on a team with a great offense and crappy defense and Tua has more wins on a team with a great defense and crappy offense - but neither QB has taken his team to the playoffs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:35 pm

I dearly HOPE I am wrong about Tua.

It's just that USUALLY... you can see some signs that the QB is franchise quality. I have not seen that from Tua yet. Of course, Brees did not become franchise until he got to New Orleans and had a great offensive minded HC, so...

Herbert just has the prototypical QB size and arm. Tua does not.

We shall see.

I do think Tua is getting the shaft in Miami though. Flores is incapable of putting together a good staff. And I think it is all HIM!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:32 am

Prototypical size and arm means absolutely nothing. The history of the NFL is littered with big, strong armed QBs that failed miserably.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:58 pm

With Vic Fangio getting fired in Denver, OL Mike Munchak is now available. He would definitely be very high on my list.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down