The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC

+4
rightchea
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC Empty Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC

Post by JMP Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Mike Garafolo wrote:@MikeGarafolo

Veteran OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo and the #Dolphins have agreed to mutually part ways, source says. DeGuglielmo came in as a consultant. Sides discussed a contract but he's moving on. Figure he lands elsewhere soon.

DeGuglielmo actually did a decent job considering what he had to work with.  I'd like to see them hire a hungry young coach for the job.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC Empty Re: Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC

Post by CarsonChris Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Also fired the offensive coordinator. Apparently we were a 10 win team with the right coaches😂

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC Empty Re: Phins coaching changes - Chan Gailey new OC

Post by CarsonChris Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 pm

If we expect Taco Charlton to be accountable then we should expect the same of the coaches

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Meh. Feh. Bleh. I'm not sweating it. Caldwell was supposed to be the OC this season anyway and from what I hear he's coming back so...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Caldwell coming back would be interesting. For the fact that he was fired, I don't see him coming back

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 pm

rightchea wrote:Caldwell coming back would be interesting. For the fact that he was fired, I don't see him coming back

Huh??? Caldwell wasn't fired, he left for health reasons, which have apparently been squared away because he's on record as saying he can't wait to be back next season.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Yeah, Caldwell was originally going to be the assistant HC and offensive coordinator here. He's one of the best coordinators in the game. And looking at what Patricia has done in Detroit, he seems to be a better head coach than people are willing to give him credit for.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:07 am

PFT reporting Gailey coming out of retirement to be our new OC.

Extensive history with Fitzpatrick.

Wow. Don’t recall the Gailey offenses but he’s certainly qualified for the job.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 am

***Changed the thread title.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:58 am

Wow, Chan Gailey!   Shocked   I sure as hell didn't see this coming.  He's old and hasn't coached in a few years, but I always liked him.  

One thing that stands out: all these young offensive coaches that the media is constantly gushing over run an offense very similar to what Gailey has been running since the dawn of time: spread offense combined with power running.  Think multiple-WR sets and a tough, bruising running game...similar to the current Rams, Bears and Packers offenses, and even the Chiefs.  I could see Ohio State RB JK Dobbins fitting very well in this system.  For that matter, I could also see Tua fitting very well, or even Justin Herbert.

I was initially shocked to see O'Shea get fired, but really, our offense was awful most of the season.

Gailey coached Fitzpatrick with the Jets and Bills, so I think that all but guarantees Fitz returning.  That allows us to be a bit more selective when drafting a QB...there's no pressure to draft a guy that has to start from week one.  

The biggest positive with this hire: Gailey has more experience than probably the entire Dolphins' coaching staff combined.  He'll be an excellent resource for Coach Flores.

Overall, despite initial shock, I think I like this hire.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 am

I think he's still a terrific hire.  Was always a great coordinator.

Also; extensive history working with mobile QB's, most famously with Kordell Stewart but he also got good results with Fiedler and Tyler Thigpen.  So....maybe the Fins are planning to try someone with Jackson-like skills in the draft?

Also, Rosen doesn't fit that profile, but if both Gailey and Caldwell are here for Rosen to learn from, it can only help him...and whichever rookie QB is drafted. (I assume Caldwell will be the assistant HC only?)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:41 am

Hearing that Marc Colombo (Cowboys OL coach) could be in play for the Phins if Dallas guts their staff. I think he'd be a great hire.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am

Does hiring Gailey mean we draft Hurts?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:39 am

Maybe Hurts.

Imo this shows a good deal of foresight from the team. We will draft a QB either this year next or both, so we bring in a veteran OC that knows how to install and run the spread offense.

Thinking further down the line, do we groom Fitz to eventually take the reigns as QB coach?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:18 am

We will definitely draft a QB this year. The only question is when. I think it will be early.

The Gailey hire makes me think Tua more than Hurts. Tua played in this style of offense at Alabama and ran it to perfection. In Miami, he can sit a year, get healthy and learn from the masters (Gailey and Fitz).

I can definitely see Fitz becoming a QB coach down the road.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:39 am

Some people (including Chris Kouffman) seem to think that the Gailey hire could mean that Jordan Love is in play for the Phins. I can definitely see that...he has a rocket arm and is very mobile - he fits the mold for sure.

Also rumors that Tua will NOT declare for the draft...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am

Once again this is just more proof tanking makes no sense.

We did a hard core roster reset because the team was old, overpaid and under achieving. This was never a let’s lose for the top pick plan.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:59 am

white1 wrote:Once again this is just more proof tanking makes no sense.

We did a hard core roster reset because the team was old, overpaid and under achieving. This was never a let’s lose for the top pick plan.

Exactly. It was a plan to "get your house in order". This team was a disaster in terms of cap space and number of players that were just collecting checks. An entire culture change was needed, and that's exactly what Grier and Flores did. Now, we can move forward with an actual plan and vision.

As for Jordan Love, when all is said and done we may have to use the #5 on him if we really want him. He is going to test off the charts and teams are going to fall in love with both his arm and his intangibles. Of course, he'll have to address the pot-smoking incident, but that's what interviews are for. The more I look at him the more I think he's going in the first. Production-wise, he probably should be a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but his skillset is going to "wow" teams. I think it's best if he sits as a rookie because he's very raw, so the Phins would be an ideal spot for him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:56 pm

Totally agree on Love. If there’s a QB the team is sold on, just take him don’t worry about the slot being too high. That thinking invites another team with conviction to trade up and snatch him.

I haven’t commented yet on Columbo. Coaches one of the best lines in the league. That would be a monster hire.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:58 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
rightchea wrote:Caldwell coming back would be interesting. For the fact that he was fired, I don't see him coming back

Huh??? Caldwell wasn't fired, he left for health reasons, which have apparently been squared away because he's on record as saying he can't wait to be back next season.

you right I was thinking of someone else

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:48 pm

JMP wrote:Hearing that Marc Colombo (Cowboys OL coach) could be in play for the Phins if Dallas guts their staff.  I think he'd be a great hire.

WOW!!! I remember Colombo playing for this team way back when for a minute. I also remember FF constantly bagging on him--and for good reason Laughing I really have been posting with some of you guys for too long Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:50 pm

white1 wrote:Once again this is just more proof tanking makes no sense.

I kinda disagree. The way Grier was going full teardown, he was planning on tanking for the top pick all along IMO. But as we figured out about halfway through the season, Flores was...not down with that, for obvious reasons. I just hope those guys get and stay on the same page in the offseason.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:54 pm

Also, I'd rather they just kept Caldwell and am baffled, befuddled and bewildered as to how and why Flores suddenly decided that the offense was the problem but the D that just set a franchise record for points allowed and according to Football Outsiders was one of the worst Ds of the last 35 years or so was perfectly fine. And why Gailey??? Hiring geezers never works out well, they run out of steam entirely about halfway through the season and basically just play out the string after that.  And this talk about LOVE going at #5 is downright horrifying, I'm too old to be scared like that pale pale pale

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm OK with Gailey, though I'd love for Caldwell AND Gailey to both be in this building as OC and Assistant Head Coach respectively. The more experience, the better.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of two similar circumstances in fairly recent years that worked out very well:

Wade Phillips was hired by the Rams as DC at 70 and was coaching in a Super Bowl a year later.

Dick LeBeau returned to the Steelers as DC at 67 and helped them win a Super Bowl at age 68 and another at age 71. Then helped them get to a third at 73.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:49 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Hearing that Marc Colombo (Cowboys OL coach) could be in play for the Phins if Dallas guts their staff.  I think he'd be a great hire.

WOW!!! I remember Colombo playing for this team way back when for a minute. I also remember FF constantly bagging on him--and for good reason Laughing I really have been posting with some of you guys for too long Razz

Yeah, that has been for fuckin ever. Used to call him Turnstile. Gave up a shit ton of sacks for us.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next