The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting note about the defense

4 posters

Go down

Interesting note about the defense Empty Interesting note about the defense

Post by JMP Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:04 pm

There has been a lot of speculation about which coach was actually running the Dolphin defense this season. These tweets shed some light:

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Josh Boyer confirms, as I reported previously, that he called defensive plays every game last season
4:13 PM · Feb 23, 2022

Joe Schad
@schadjoe
Josh Boyer says he called the Dolphins’ defensive plays. There was a lot of input. The staff game up with the game plan. Flo was involved in the game plan. There are always suggestions.
4:12 PM · Feb 23, 2022

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Interesting note about the defense Empty Re: Interesting note about the defense

Post by JEGnj Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:00 am

Well either way he is in the hot seat next season.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:16 pm

I found that stuff fascinating to read also.

Clearly, there was a disconnect between Gerald Alexander and Boyer, with Flores most likely siding with Alexander. I read that "between the lines" when Boyer talked about decisions made during game planning, or in the middle of the game, and living with those decisions. To my mind that sounded a lot like some second guessing going on, and perhaps even mixed messages to the defensive players.

What's also interesting to note is how unusual it is to retain a defensive coordinator. Now, with that said, the Giants were by all reports going to retain Patrick Graham, but he opted for a fresh start in Vegas.

Anyways, someone did the math and out of the last 20 something new head coaches only one retained the previous defensive coordinator. And that lasted one season.

Which is what we MIGHT SEE, if, and only if, McDaniel is in any way unhappy with how Boyer works in Year One. AND, if he can get an upgrade - and Fangio is the guy that comes immediately to mind.

So in my mind this season is an audition for Boyer, and if it doesn't work, we'll be looking for an upgrade. I'm good with that.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 am

I think we will see early:
ONE - if it was Flores causing all the early season disarray. The offense usually stunk and the defense looked like they had never watched a tape of the opposing team.
TWO - if Boyer is a good DC or was riding Flores coattails... after the defense started being good about mid-season I mean... Rolling Eyes

Of course, a legitimate offense coached by some skilled offensive-minded coaches could DISGUISE the bad Boyer Defense somewhat. Maybe.

I still say this Phins defense is one SCARY Pass Rusher away from getting over the hump and becoming playoff caliber good. I sure Hope Phillips will become that, but I think they need to draft one or maybe two.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:18 pm

finfanatic wrote:

Of course, a legitimate offense coached by some skilled offensive-minded coaches could DISGUISE the bad Boyer Defense somewhat.  Maybe.

Yeah, at this point I'd be willing to see a great offense paired with an OK defense. Ideally, we'd have both, but in an era where offense rules I am just sick of the Dolphins bringing a damn wet noodle to a gunfight!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down