The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training Camp

+3
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Training Camp - Page 4 Empty Re: Training Camp

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:01 pm

JMP wrote:First practice with Bucs is over.

Sounds like both teams dominated on defense, especially against the run.  For the Phins' D, the DL completely shut down the run - led by Wilkins, who seemingly made a bunch of plays.  Sieler had a batted pass and at least one sack.  Iggy apparently got toasted a couple of times.

Both offenses threw a lot of short stuff, but also completed some chunk plays.  Tua had a nice pass to EZ for 30, and of course Hill and Waddle made some plays.  Bridgewater had a rough day, with two INTs and a fumble.

Overall, from what I read it sounded like two evenly matched teams with great defense, with neither one able to do much of anything on offense.

The good news for Miami: no injuries.  Not so good for the Bucs: their new starting center Robert Hainsey (replacing Ryan Jensen, who is already out for the year) was carted off the field.

Well that's it then. Iggy must be cut and Skylar Thompson needs to be elevated above Bridgewater to the second string. Yes, I'm serious on both counts.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:14 pm

Iggy had some good moments in camp practices, but reverted to form today. Not looking good for him, especially with Trill Williams having a great camp.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:21 pm

A couple of other notes:
--Tua supposedly looked really sharp in the 2 minute drill
--CB Keion Crossen - supposedly a STs standout - flashed at CB today. Another bad sign for Iggy...
--Ogbah with a batted pass..surprise, surprise! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:52 pm

JMP wrote:Not so good for the Bucs: their new starting center Robert Hainsey (replacing Ryan Jensen, who is already out for the year) was carted off the field.

Well, good news after all: Hainsey was just experiencing bad cramps...no leg injury.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:06 pm

and in case anybody is wondering, apparently Michael Deiter fully returned to practice from his foot injury.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:12 pm

I read Tanner Connor blew by White for a huge play in one on ones.

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:18 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I read Tanner Connor  blew by White for a huge play in one on ones.

Just make him the starting TE and trade Gesicki for a first now, I say!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:08 am

mercury22nathan wrote:and in case anybody is wondering, apparently Michael Deiter fully returned to practice from his foot injury.

That's great news. Depth at center was a big concern, but a healthy Deiter takes care of that. And as I said in another thread, Connor Williams apparently had a good day yesterday - mostly going up against Vita Vea. That is VERY encouraging!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:I read Tanner Connor  blew by White for a huge play in one on ones.

Just make him the starting TE and trade Gesicki for a first now, I say!!!

LOL Let's not move too quickly...but hopefully Connor will continue to develop. Seems like this kid has a really high ceiling. I wonder if he plays STs? That would help his case to make the final roster.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:32 am

There's this mentality by everybody, fans and coaches alike, that any player who's not going to start can just be slapped on special teams. Simple math alone says that simply isn't possible. Special teams doesn't get an exemption from having only 11 men on the field at a time. One of those spots is taken by the kicker/punter. Another is used up by the snapper. That leaves just 9 spots for all these backup fringe players to take. Throw in the holder on FG attempts and it's down to 8. I don't see why any coach would use a completely different set of players to cover punts and kickoffs, it makes no sense. SO...you're talking about 22 starters on offense and defense, plus the kicker punter and long snapper. That's still less than half of a 53-man roster. Even if there actually are 9 completely different players covering punts than kickoffs that's still only 43 (25+18). That leaves at least ten players without special teams as a clear path to a roster spot and probably more since again, it makes no sense for none of the guys covering punts to cover kickoffs too.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:42 am

DolFan 316 wrote:There's this mentality by everybody, fans and coaches alike, that any player who's not going to start can just be slapped on special teams. Simple math alone says that simply isn't possible. Special teams doesn't get an exemption from having only 11 men on the field at a time. One of those spots is taken by the kicker/punter. Another is used up by the snapper. That leaves just 9 spots for all these backup fringe players to take. Throw in the holder on FG attempts and it's down to 8. I don't see why any coach would use a completely different set of players to cover punts and kickoffs, it makes no sense. SO...you're talking about 22 starters on offense and defense, plus the kicker punter and long snapper. That's still less than half of a 53-man roster. Even if there actually are 9 completely different players covering punts than kickoffs that's still only 43 (25+18). That leaves at least ten players without special teams as a clear path to a roster spot and probably more since again, it makes no sense for none of the guys covering punts to cover kickoffs too.

The reason I brought it up with Connor is that Cethan Carter is a TE who excels on STs. So if we do keep 4 TEs, Carter almost certainly gets the nod over Connor...unless Connor shows he can play at a high level on specials. You're right that not every backup plays STs - but in this case the 4th TE does play specials. Carter can also be the backup FB, so that's another advantage he has over Connor.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 am

Sounds like Tua and Skylar are torching the Bucs' D today. Hill and Waddle are putting on a show. Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:07 am

JMP wrote:The reason I brought it up with Connor is that Cethan Carter is a TE who excels on STs.  So if we do keep 4 TEs, Carter almost certainly gets the nod over Connor...unless Connor shows he can play at a high level on specials.  You're right that not every backup plays STs - but in this case the 4th TE does play specials.  Carter can also be the backup FB, so that's another advantage he has over Connor.

The thing with Carter is, he was signed as a pure special teamer and that's exactly what he is. Any listed position for him and other players like him is purely for appearances' sake. Is he a FB? A TE? The correct answer is neither, he plays the Steve Tasker/Matthew Slater position. He had 2 catches for 16 yards last season, and zero rushing attempts.

But then again Carter is way more expensive than Connor so oui shall see...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:19 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

The thing with Carter is, he was signed as a pure special teamer and that's exactly what he is. Any listed position for him and other players like him is purely for appearances' sake. Is he a FB? A TE? The correct answer is neither, he plays the Steve Tasker/Matthew Slater position. He had 2 catches for 16 yards last season, and zero rushing attempts.

But then again Carter is way more expensive than Connor so oui shall see...

Well, sure, Carter plays STs only. But the fact that he can play TE and FB does create roster flexibility for the Phins if they decide to only keep 4 TEs this year, instead of 5 as they did last year. And they may do just that if they keep Skylar on the roster. So, yeah, Connor probably needs to play STs - and play it well - if he's going to take Carter's spot.

BTW Skylar threw a TD to Connor today! It was apparently a busted play where Connor was wide open, but one of the reporters noted Connor's speed on the play.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:48 am

Daniel Oyefusi
@DanielOyefusi

One day after the Dolphins O failed to get in the end zone, at least six TDs in team drills so far.

Tua and Skylar kicking ass!!! LOVE IT!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:50 am

Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL

Igbinoghene has a terrific breakup in the end zone to force the Bucs offense off the field in the 2-min period. Good COD to move as Gabbert broke the pocket and squeeze the WR
11:30 AM · Aug 11, 2022

Iggy did something good! Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:52 am

Bobby Shouse
@B_Shousejr

Everyone I know who was at joint practice today said basically the same thing…

Tua played out of his mind today. He did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. The improvements seem to be clear and obvious with Tua this year. #FinsUp
11:43 AM · Aug 11, 2022

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:53 am

Austin Jackson was supposedly very impressive both days!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:55 am

Cameron Wolfe
@CameronWolfe

Dolphins dominated Day 2 of joint practices with Bucs. Tua Tagovailoa, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle & pass offense was cooking against Bucs DBs. Jaelan Phillips, Elandon Roberts, Christian Wilkins, Keion Crossen among those I saw with big hits/ covering quick off short completions.
11:45 AM · Aug 11, 2022 from Tampa, FL

Crossen with two good days in a row!

Sounds like the run offense still couldn't get anything going, and the run D struggled a bit today. I think those are the only negative things I heard about today's practice.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:57 am

Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL

Austin Jackson says his confidence is at an all time high and credits the coaching staff. Says that he’s always had a good work ethic but he’s learned this year how to be more deliberate with his work
11:54 AM · Aug 11, 2022

Today is Austin Jackson's birthday - he turned 23!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:34 pm

Tanner Connor had a 40yd TD today!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:09 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Tanner Connor had a 40yd TD today!

He just keeps making plays. The TD was a on a broken play by the D, but supposedly Connor showed off his blazing speed. Really great to hear so many positive things about this year's rookie class.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:29 pm

At this point I make Thompson the #2 QB and drop Bridgewater. That opens the door for some of these other rookie players.

Preston Williams and Iggy should also be dropped or traded.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm

CarsonChris wrote:At this point I make Thompson the #2 QB and drop Bridgewater. That opens the door for some of these other rookie players.

That backup QB job is really interesting. On the one hand, having an experienced backup like Bridgewater could be key in a season where you think your team might make some sort of a run. On the other hand, if Bridgewater isn't looking good in practice, can we even count on him if we need him down the stretch? Ultimately, it comes down to: how good can Skylar be as a rookie? The coaches need to find that answer in preseason - which means giving him some meaningful game reps, not just throwing him in against guys that are getting cut the next week.

So - keep an eye on preseason: if you see Skylar getting snaps with the 1s and 2s, there's a good chance he's stealing Teddy's job. I don't think it would actually happen, but if Skylar keeps playing like this it just might.

And yes - goodbye to Preston and Iggy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:40 pm

JMP wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:At this point I make Thompson the #2 QB and drop Bridgewater. That opens the door for some of these other rookie players.

That backup QB job is really interesting. On the one hand, having an experienced backup like Bridgewater could be key in a season where you think your team might make some sort of a run. On the other hand, if Bridgewater isn't looking good in practice, can we even count on him if we need him down the stretch? Ultimately, it comes down to: how good can Skylar be as a rookie? The coaches need to find that answer in preseason - which means giving him some meaningful game reps, not just throwing him in against guys that are getting cut the next week.

So - keep an eye on preseason: if you see Skylar getting snaps with the 1s and 2s, there's a good chance he's stealing Teddy's job. I don't think it would actually happen, but if Skylar keeps playing like this it just might.

And yes - goodbye to Preston and Iggy.

Bridgewater is playing absolute garbage. He seems to be entitled to his position. Doesn't seem like he cares.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next