The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts

4 posters

Go down

LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts Empty LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:52 am

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bears LB Roquan Smith has requested a trade.

Smith, 25 is slated to play the 2022 season under his fifth-year option, which would net him $9.7 million. In a statement, he called out the new Chicago front office for failing to negotiate in good faith and not valuing him as a player. The team's latest offer, Smith said, would not just be bad for him, but for every linebacker in the NFL. The offer is reportedly backloaded and filled with de-escalators that could cost Smith serious money. Smith is a force in the middle of the field, totaling 163 tackles, three sacks, and 12 tackles for a loss in 2021. It appears unlikely he'll be in a Bears uniform this season. The team's new front office, headed by general manager Ryan Poles, is off to the rockiest start possible.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Aug 9, 2022, 8:49 AM ET

I would have dealt that extra first (and more) in a heartbeat if it meant landing Smith. But now, without that first, I don't think we could present a realistic trade package. I don't want to be left with no first round pick again next year. But damn, adding Roquan Smith would be a MASSIVE upgrade on defense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts Empty Re: LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 am

I just saw this elsewhere. Best forget about it, it's a pipe dream. Let's just hope a division rival doesn't get him.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts Empty Re: LB Roquan Smith requests trade - this is where losing that extra 1st really hurts

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:18 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I just saw this elsewhere. Best forget about it, it's a pipe dream. Let's just hope a division rival doesn't get him.

Yep, it won't happen but it is fun to think about!

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 am

One thing no one is talking about regarding trade possibilities.

Are we absolutely thrilled with Jerome Baker? If the Bears don't want to leave a huge hole in their defense, maybe they trade Smith for Baker, plus we add a WR and maybe a late round pick?

From a cap perspective, I think a trade like that would allow us to pay Smith like he want to be paid, because we swap one high-price LB for another.

All in all, it's a definite upgrade for us - Baker is good but not as good as Smith.

white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:37 pm

white1 wrote:One thing no one is talking about regarding trade possibilities.

Are we absolutely thrilled with Jerome Baker? If the Bears don't want to leave a huge hole in their defense, maybe they trade Smith for Baker, plus we add a WR and maybe a late round pick?

From a cap perspective, I think a trade like that would allow us to pay Smith like he want to be paid, because we swap one high-price LB for another.

All in all, it's a definite upgrade for us - Baker is good but not as good as Smith.

I like Baker a lot, but not a bad idea.  But I don't know what the cap hit is for trading Baker.

BUT

My ideal would be Baker and Smith in the middle.  That would be SICK!

Last edited by JMP on Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:43 pm

Yeah, and it's possible the Bears can't get all that much for Smith anyway.

Two reasons. One, they already lost some leverage because of his press release asking for a trade. The price comes down immediately in a situation like that.

Two, sites like PFF (believe them or not, still useful) have metrics that reinforce the idea Smith is a GOOD linebacker, but not great/elite. At least not yet (and maybe never will be). He's kind of a MLB thumper with good knack for tackles for loss, a few sacks, not a lot of plays on the ball in space. Players like that are kind of on the outside looking in when it comes to the elite defenders out there.

All in all, probably doable, just a matter of whether Grier / McDaniel want to invest the kind of cap space and other resources it will take to get him...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:09 pm

I am waiting for Grier to do something stupid and start trading away picks for next year and into 2023 as well.

Might as well trade them before the dipshyte Owner fracks around and loses them cause he is a flaming dumbarse!

It sounds like Smith wants top dollar and I agree with W1, I would not pay him top dollar.

I would rather see how the Phins do with Tindall and maybe Goode.

By the by....Poor old LB Vince Beigel (sp)... he tore his other Achilles it looks like! This might be the end of him.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:45 pm

finfanatic wrote:I am waiting for Grier to do something stupid and start trading away picks for next year and into 2023 as well.

That's not Grier's way, at all. The only reason he made the big trade for Tyreek is because it was an opportunity he couldn't pass up, and in the end we really didn't give up all that much in terms of value. Grier is not the type to trade away picks for no reason.

finfanatic wrote:By the by....Poor old LB Vince Beigel (sp)... he tore his other Achilles it looks like! This might be the end of him.

Yeah, that's a damn shame. I always liked him with the Phins. Injuries suck. Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:58 pm

white1 wrote:Yeah, and it's possible the Bears can't get all that much for Smith anyway.  

Two reasons.  One, they already lost some leverage because of his press release asking for a trade.  The price comes down immediately in a situation like that.

Two, sites like PFF (believe them or not, still useful) have metrics that reinforce the idea Smith is a GOOD linebacker, but not great/elite.  At least not yet (and maybe never will be).  He's kind of a MLB thumper with good knack for tackles for loss, a few sacks, not a lot of plays on the ball in space.  Players like that are kind of on the outside looking in when it comes to the elite defenders out there.

All in all, probably doable, just a matter of whether Grier / McDaniel want to invest the kind of cap space and other resources it will take to get him...

I agree that Roquan probably wouldn't cost that much. Khalil Mack was traded for just a 2nd and 6th, and Smith is an off-ball LB that simply isn't as valuable as Mack in today's NFL.  That said, PFF is insane if they don't view Smith as great...he's absolutely at or near elite-level and arguably a top 2 or 3 MLB in the game.  If he wasn't wasting away on the crappy Bears, he'd be a household name.

Like I said, I don't see him ending up on the Dolphins, but if he did...this defense would be INSANE!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down