The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 2, Dolphins at Ravens

+3
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 2, Dolphins at Ravens - Page 2 Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 2, Dolphins at Ravens

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:21 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:Yes!  I was SCREAMING at the OL.  And then, the coaches actually...made adjustments!  Shocked   In-game adjustments from a Dolphins coaching staff??? Is this Bizarro World???

we can all laugh about it now, but that Smythe attempted flop block was awful.

That was embarrassing! What a horrible effort...from our best blocking TE! Embarassed

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 2, Dolphins at Ravens - Page 2 Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 2, Dolphins at Ravens

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:22 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I'm sure the vast majority of Ravens fans are now yammering on about wanting a playoff rematch.

living in MD - in Redsk...Commanders territory - i get all the Ravens radio and TV too.  the after game call-in shows were complete panic in Baltimore.  people calling for Harbaugh's head.  the biggest issues cited:  going for it on 4th down.  many fans pointed out that had he kicked FGs on both 4th down plays (goal-line and at 40 - well within Tucker's range) the Ravens win.  i don't agree, but the Baltimore fans were irate.  amazing how the fans can be sending Harbaugh to the HoF one week and firing him the next.  they have no idea the shit us Phins' fans have been through.  

That's amazing. I have heard that the "Fire Harbaugh" chant are very loud today in Ravens-land. Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:22 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I'm sure the vast majority of Ravens fans are now yammering on about wanting a playoff rematch.

living in MD - in Redsk...Commanders territory - i get all the Ravens radio and TV too.  the after game call-in shows were complete panic in Baltimore.  people calling for Harbaugh's head.  the biggest issues cited:  going for it on 4th down.  many fans pointed out that had he kicked FGs on both 4th down plays (goal-line and at 40 - well within Tucker's range) the Ravens win.  i don't agree, but the Baltimore fans were irate.  amazing how the fans can be sending Harbaugh to the HoF one week and firing him the next.  they have no idea the shit us Phins' fans have been through.  

Typical brain dead fans. Everybody wants their team to always go for it on 4th and short these days because it's what all the cool kids in the analytics community say teams should do, but when it inevitably fails those same fans suddenly think it was the dumbest move ever Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes People these days have severe trouble separating process from results, probably due to the deliberate elimination of critical thinking skills.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:23 am

well then, i hope this team continues to do some more F'ing!!

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:25 am

Tua celebrating, letting 2 years of Flores-generated frustration out, while Dan Marino watches.  This pic give me chills!

Game thoughts: Week 2, Dolphins at Ravens - Page 2 FdBQtk4WQAA48PG?format=jpg&name=900x900

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:27 am

Marino of all people knows what it's like to get deliberately sabotaged by a coach. I guarantee you he still holds a grudge against JJ.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:45 am

JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:

That's amazing.  I have heard that the "Fire Harbaugh" chant are very loud today in Ravens-land.  Twisted Evil

Ridiculous. Going for it on 4th down and aggressive play calling in general has served the Ravens very well the last few years as long as Jackson is on the field. It bit them on the ass last year after Jackson was hurt but even then I can understand it (i.e. going for two late to avoid OT against the Steelers). They were so depleted on defense he felt he had a better chance to win the game with one two yard conversion than trying to stop the opponent in OT.

The man won a SB with Joe Flacco and has had them in contention virtually the entire time he's been there. Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the league right now. Given what the Fins were doing on offense, I have no problem with him going for it on 4th down at our 40 either. 57 yards is no gimme and I'd try to avoid giving the ball back to Tua at that point myself, especially if my starting QB is healthy and playing great. The Fins just made a big play.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:50 am

If the Ravens are idiotic enough the fire Harbaugh, I'm sure the Dolphins can make room for him on McDaniel's coaching staff! Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:50 am

Evidence of good coaching:

Jordan J MacGeever
@j_macgeever

Dolphins gave up 1 sack and 2 QB hits in 52 drop backs . Probably the best OL performance in 14 years by the Dolphins 😂
5:18 PM · Sep 18, 2022

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:51 am

He always has been. And you'll notice the media doesn't really like him all that much. Wonder why.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:52 am

BTW I am absolutely loving all the comments today cheers cheers cheers

And we haven't even heard from a few posters yet, just wait until they weigh in Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:12 pm

The Fuck-it Play was Beautiful Throw it was Released at the Fins 42 and Landed in Hill’s Hands at the 2 Yard Line 56 Yards of Glory and just to show the Haters he can Fling it When Needed. 2nd Biggest Play on the Last TD was the Beautiful Executed 29 yard run by Edmonds where You could see the OL celebrating behind the Play.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:04 pm

Agree - offensive line play was overshadowed by Tua - Hill - Waddle but their performance was very real.

The Ravens have always been a physical squad and we have struggled mightily with them for that very reason. Even over the first three quarters playing from behind, I saw a lot of nice 4-5 yard gains on running plays, and only a few that went for no gain or a loss. For the most part it looked to me like a pretty effective part of the attack.

Mostert started, and I expected that but not this soon. His speed is a big difference maker.

I like this running game and I think we will see it more against weaker teams to salt the game away. It's only going to get better as the line and backs mesh in this scheme.

white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:55 pm

Great article on NFL.com by Judy Battista, with a synopsis of the game:

https://www.nfl.com/news/tua-tagovailoa-dolphins-put-rest-of-nfl-on-notice-with-epic-comeback-win-over-ra

Now the whole league knows who the Dolphins can be, something they haven't been in more than two decades. A team that can craft the biggest fourth-quarter rally on the road in franchise history.

"We'll never give up," Hill said. "No matter the score. No matter who we're playing."

And they will never be out of it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm

Excellent breakdown by Dan Orlovsky of the huge pass play when Tua hit Waddle from his own end zone:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1571889098914136064

A really good look at the formation and personnel grouping...brilliant play design.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:03 pm

finskev wrote:The Fuck-it Play was Beautiful Throw it was Released at the Fins 42 and Landed in Hill’s Hands at the 2 Yard Line  56 Yards of Glory and just to show the Haters he can Fling it When Needed. 2nd Biggest Play on the Last TD was the Beautiful Executed 29 yard run by Edmonds where You could see the OL celebrating behind the Play.

Yeah, it was awesome to see the linemen cheering behind that run! I really like the way this team has come together...seems like all these guys really like each other and enjoy being teammates.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:05 pm

white1 wrote:Agree - offensive line play was overshadowed by Tua - Hill - Waddle but their performance was very real.

The Ravens have always been a physical squad and we have struggled mightily with them for that very reason.  Even over the first three quarters playing from behind, I saw a lot of nice 4-5 yard gains on running plays, and only a few that went for no gain or a loss.  For the most part it looked to me like a pretty effective part of the attack.

Mostert started, and I expected that but not this soon.  His speed is a big difference maker.

I like this running game and I think we will see it more against weaker teams to salt the game away.  It's only going to get better as the line and backs mesh in this scheme.

If this running game starts to do some damage on a consistent basis - buckle up, because we'll be in for one helluva ride!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:54 pm

Can I say this about our defense, and a pattern I have seen under Boyer?

I am not thrilled when they matchup against a mobile QB, and they still struggle covering TE (note Rowe in the lineup, I think an obvious attempt to shore up the spot).

Extending to last season (and maybe further) our defense seems to clamp down on average or bad offenses. Against good ones, they give up way too many yards and points.

It may be nitpicking, but I would love to have a truly dominant defense. I would find it hard to believe that Fangio couldn't do a better job - especially given the money we are paying for pieces like Howard, Ogbah, Baker, and talented rookie-deal players like R Davis, C Wilkins, Holland, B Jones. I also think Martindale (it's early) is doing an excellent job in NY with far less talent.

In the not-so-distant future, we are going to have to pay for Tua, Waddle, Holland, Wilkins, etc. Or make tough decisions on who walks in FA.

I guess what I'm saying is this: We have seen first hand in just two games what coaching can mean on offense. Is it time we demand more from our highly-compensated defense?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:20 am

Just thought I'd bump this thread... any comments about the Boyer defense? Smile
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:25 pm

I watched the replay of the game last night (well, up to the point when the Dolphins tied the game at 35...will watch the rest later today). Here are some random observations:

--I love the way McDaniel used fullback Alec Ingold. He lined him up literally everywhere - FB, slot, out wide, even took a direct snap from under center. Ingold did miss a key block on a pass to Mostert, but otherwise he delivered some devastating blocks that sprung big plays (in particular, a downfield block on the big Waddle catch and run early in the game, and a key block on a Hill 15-yard catch on the very next play). Ingold is fast becoming a favorite of mine, and he's a huge part of what McDaniel does on offense.

--Speaking of Mostert, this guy is really a great player. His combo of speed, moves and toughness is rare.

--The OL really impressed me, particularly Eich. McDaniel said that the 49ers did a lot of work on him in the draft, and I can see why. He looks like an ideal fit as a guard in this offense. He was rock-solid in pass pro, and did a great job of getting out front and blocking downfield in the run game. He's much more athletic than I expected.

--Speaking of blocking: my favorite play of the game was the first Waddle TD. The formation to the left was Waddle on the outside with Sherfield inside, with Hill in the backfield. The LBs bit on the fake to Hill, Waddle came inside post-snap, and Tua hit him with a dart. From there, Sherfield nailed his block, Eich came around and nailed his block, and then Armstead nailed his block on the inside - all enabling Waddle to slide into the endzone with ease. It was absolutely perfect execution, and a simply brilliant play design.

--More brilliant design: there was one play where Gesicki, Mostert and Edmonds all went in different directions from behind the line of scrimmage. I think that was the play where Ingold missed a block and Mostert was tackled for a loss, but that is irrelevant. The point is, I have NEVER seen a play like that and it definitely confused the defense. That’s next-level play design…just amazing to see.

--The playcalling was just mind-boggling! From formations, to pre-snap movement, to routes, to individual assignments…it’s like, as Tyreek said, McDaniel is playing a video game. Just pure insanity…and utter genius. I’ve never seen a Miami offense that has receivers so wide open all the time. A far cry from last year when we’d have two receivers running the same route in the same place!

--Gesicki made some clutch catches, and of course the throw and catch on his TD were mind-bogglingly amazing. But what no one else has mentioned is this: Gesicki made two key blocks on running plays! Yes, MIKE GESICKI successfully blocked defenders multiple times!!

--The running game was really very impressive. There were holes to run through and the backs took advantage. Too bad the game script didn’t allow for more rushing, because it could have been a very big day on the ground. Hopefully that continues moving forward.

--You could argue that the biggest play of the entire game was the defense stuffing Lamar on 4th and 1 from the Miami 41 with about 9 minutes left. That was a game-saving play, because a first down there essentially ends the game in terms of time lost and an almost-certain Ravens score.

--I can’t say enough about Christian Wilkins. This guy is just a BEAST. He actually caught Lamar from behind at least 2-3 times on runs…once over 20 yards downfield! How many DTs can do that???

--One final note: the officiating was…not good. There was a play in the first half where Hill (or was it Waddle?) caught a pass on the sideline that was clearly a good 2 yards beyond the first down marker. But the refs spotted the ball short of the marker, making it 2nd and 1. The Phins eventually converted, but I don’t know what that was about. Then there was the tripping penalty on Edmonds, which was flat-out absurd. The defender basically steamrolled him and as Edmonds fell, the guy fell over him. There was nothing even close to a trip and it was just a brutal bullshit call.

Anyway, just thought I’d mention some stuff that really stood out in the rewatch.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:35 pm

white1 wrote:Can I say this about our defense, and a pattern I have seen under Boyer?

I am not thrilled when they matchup against a mobile QB, and they still struggle covering TE (note Rowe in the lineup, I think an obvious attempt to shore up the spot).

Extending to last season (and maybe further) our defense seems to clamp down on average or bad offenses.  Against good ones, they give up way too many yards and points.  

It may be nitpicking, but I would love to have a truly dominant defense.  I would find it hard to believe that Fangio couldn't do a better job - especially given the money we are paying for pieces like Howard, Ogbah, Baker, and talented rookie-deal players like R Davis, C Wilkins, Holland, B Jones.  I also think Martindale (it's early) is doing an excellent job in NY with far less talent.  

In the not-so-distant future, we are going to have to pay for Tua, Waddle, Holland, Wilkins, etc.  Or make tough decisions on who walks in FA.  

I guess what I'm saying is this:  We have seen first hand in just two games what coaching can mean on offense.  Is it time we demand more from our highly-compensated defense?

I get your point, but I am actually very happy with the defense so far.

They completely shutdown the Patriots, holding them to 7 points and making halftime adjustments to wipe out their running game in the second half.

Yes, they gave up tons of huge plays in the Ravens game. But watching the replay, I saw missed tackles and mental errors as the root cause of most of those big plays. Those are correctable. The defense through most of the second half was very good (again, halftime adjustments - like replacing Crossen with Kohou) - and absolutely stellar in the 4th quarter. The short yardage D might be the best I've ever seen from the Dolphins, as they stuffed the Ravens on about 5 or 6 short-yardage runs Sunday. The run defense was excellent aside from the one long Lamar run...he didn't gain much at all besides that single play.

The one issue with the defense that I am concerned about: the lack of pass rush. We did OK against the Pats, but there was no pressure at all put on Lamar. That may have been by design to an extent, to prevent him from getting easy running lanes. But you just can't give a QB that much time to throw. Phillips and Ogbah really got no push at all, and that has to change.

But overall, I'm happy with where the D is at right now. Just have to clean up a few things but I have not seen any major issues. Of course, I may change my tune after we face Allen and the Bills' potent offense, but for now I'm fine with the D.

Oh, and extending Wilkins is a MUST. He is a key to the defense IMO. Possibly the most underrated defender in the NFL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 pm

I should also mention: Trey Flowers (#93) had a MONSTER game. Though he didn't get many snaps, he was a big reason for all the short-yardage stops Miami's D had. He is an elite run defender, and it showed on Sunday.

Also:
Tua won the AFC Offensive Player of the Week, FedEx Air Player of the Week, and Nickelodeon MVP of the Week. There's an awesome video of Tua getting slime (courtesy of Nickelodeon) dumped on him by his teammates after practice today!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2