The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins

+3
mercury22nathan
Degarmo
JMP
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins Empty Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Beer: Heineken

Heroes of the Day: Reshad Jones and Derrick Shelby

Goat of the Day: Ryan Tannehill

This was an ugly game played by two really bad teams. Thanks to a 20-second stint late in the first half that saw them score two TDs, the Dolphins managed to be the slightly less-bad team and came away with a very uninspired 15-13 victory over the Ravens.

On this day, the Miami offense reached an all-time low. They managed just 7 points (all coming late in the second quarter) with just 8 first downs and 82 net passing yards. This pathetic performance was “led” by Ryan Tannehill, who played as bad as I’ve ever seen him play. With the firing of OC Bill Lazor, Tannehill requested a bigger role in the gameplan. If today was any indication, I now see why the Dolphins didn’t want him to have any control over this offense in the first place. Of his 9 completions, I counted just two good passes from Tannehill all game – the TD to DeVante Parker, and a key first down to Parker late in the game to seal the victory. Aside from that, Tannehill was completely inaccurate and missed open receivers all day. He took a beating from a fierce Ravens’ pass rush, but he just couldn’t do anything right, looking lost and out of sync all game. It is becoming more obvious each game that Tannehill is not the long-term answer for this team, and finding his replacement will be an offseason priority.

The Dolphins committed to the run today, and Lamar Miller responded with a big day, gaining 113 yards and averaging over 5 yards a carry. Miller carried the ball 20 times, the second highest total of his career and his most since 2013. Unfortunately, Miller had a really bad fumble late in the game that led to a Ravens FG attempt…which would have been a game-winner, but fortunately was unsuccessful. Backup RB Jay Ajayi got a couple of carries and was a non-factor (although he did get a 2-point conversion).

The WRs were invisible, with the exception of Parker. He led the team with 3 catches, and as mentioned above two of them were huge. Landry, Stills and Cameron did absolutely nothing.

The OL was horrendous in pass protection, giving up many big hits and getting pushed around all game. Not much more to say about that…different game, same results.

The defense gave up a ton of yards and couldn’t stop rookie RB Buck Allen, but they got good pressure on the QB all day and came up with two game-changing turnovers. Reshad Jones had a huge INT off a pass that was batted down by Jordan Phillips, setting up the Dolphins’ lone offensive TD. 20 seconds later, Derrick Shelby caught his own batted pass and took it to the house for what would turn out to be the game-winning score at the end of the first half. Olivier Vernon was very active, getting a few sacks, and Ndamukong Suh wreaked havoc all game. Kelvin Sheppard had his third consecutive solid game. I could complain about Matt Schaub completing over 30 passes for 300+ yards, and all the poor tackling from the LBs and DBs, and rookie corner Bobby McCain getting beat like a drum all day, but on this day the Dolphins defense allowed just 13 points and single-handedly won the game – so I’ll give all those negatives a free pass.

Overall, this was a crap game played by two crap teams – but a win is a win, and I’ll take it.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins Empty Re: Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:07 pm

I should've known this was a win by how quickly you got the game thoughts up this time Laughing Razz

Seems like the Ravens know how to "play the game" better. And I'm not talking about the game on the field. They'll now be getting a top 5 pick while this team will be lucky to pick top 10, thus providing a convenient excuse for not replacing Hennehill.

Oh well, at least they ran more.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins Empty Re: Thoughts on game 12: Ravens at Dolphins

Post by white1 Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Totally agree. Strong running game just more evidence that you cannot help Tannehill enough. In tough games, he will literally never respond with a great performance.

Screw it, dump him.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Remember that bit by Armando about how the front office was convinced Hennehill was a franchise QB, in spite of every shred of evidence right in front of them? I get the feeling that opinion has changed lately.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:39 pm

The Ravens made tons of mistakes, and the refs helped Miami out early with some bogus calls (the offensive PI call against the Ravens on their 50+ TD was especially bad.) This was a game that the Ravens lost, moreso than the Dolphins won.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Another serious question: when's the last time you remember the officials making bad calls in the Fins' favor?

I remember a certain "incomplete pass" call that even I thought was a fumble way back in '99 during the epic comeback win over the Colts, which turned out to be the next to last good moment of Marino's career. But has it really been THAT long??? Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:50 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Another serious question: when's the last time you remember the officials making bad calls in the Fins' favor?

I remember a certain "incomplete pass" call that even I thought was a fumble way back in '99 during the epic comeback win over the Colts, which turned out to be the next to last good moment of Marino's career. But has it really been THAT long???  Shocked

There was another call in today's game, where Schaub ran a QB sneak on 4th and short inside the Dolphins 5-yard line. It was clearly a first down, but the refs spotted it short. So between that and the earlier TD that was called back, that's 10 if not 14 points that the Ravens could have and should have had. So, yeah, the Dolphins owe a game ball to the refs for this win!

We NEVER get calls going our way like that...I was absolutely shocked today. For most teams these things usually even out over the course of the season, but it seems like the Phins always end up on the short end. As much as I hate bad calls, it's nice to see them working in the Phins' favor for a change!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:00 pm

JMP wrote:We NEVER get calls going our way like that...I was absolutely shocked today.  For most teams these things usually even out over the course of the season, but it seems like the Phins always end up on the short end.  As much as I hate bad calls, it's nice to see them working in the Phins' favor for a change!

So what you're saying is, you can't remember either? Razz Laughing

I guess that law of averages everybody keeps talking about finally kicked in after 16 years Laughing

I know you'll never forget the ending of a certain Steelers game...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:50 pm

I don't think that any one was ready for Tannehill calling the shots not even himself. Miami is so use to getting only two plays means that it going to take more than one game for them to get a good adjustment. Miami plays the Giants next and want to see more from Tannehill. He wants to be a leader then he needs to lead.

Another player I was disappointed in was Ajayi. Not that he didn't do well but for the fact he really didn't play. I would like to see more of him on the field. I was definitely looking forward to that One - Two punch that we have been waiting for.

Parker did okay for his first start. I not sold on him being a #1 WR that we have been hoping for but he did make a big play today in the endzone. He needs to work on his route running. from looking at his college scout videos. he runs a lot of fly and slant routes so for him doing wheel routes is new to him and he has to get better if he wants to keep playing.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 am

SO...there seems to be a karmic hierarchy here. The Fins are low enough on the ladder to lose to a team with Greg Hardy when the star QB just happens to return after being hurt for weeks and play one full game before getting injured for the season in the next. But they're high enough to scrape past a team who's clearly paying a karmic price for sweeping the Ray Rice Incident under the rug.

And yes, only I spend my time thinking about such things Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:19 am

Game sucked, team sucked, and we should have lost if not due to the officiating. Tannehill is getting worse. We need to look for a replacement in the draft and maybe a veteran in free agency to challenge him for his position. We are stuck with him for one more year, so it's on his shoulders if he's to become something worthy of a starter status, but as of right now, he's not pulling his weight at all. Granted, Baltimore is one of Miami's Achilles' heel teams that they normally play like hot garbage against, but this is wearing thin. I've been a supporter of this guy for his time in the league and I still think he can do it. I'm just not sure he gives a shit, or at least not giving a shit at a championship competitor level.

Guys like Devante Parker (thank god they waited so long to see what he could do in a game) will help him out, as will a better offensive line, but his play right now stinks. He's got to prove something here, because the next coach that comes in will have him on the shortest of leashes. I don't know if he truly understands that. Granted, Lazor's offense is still in place, and it's terrible still, but he HAS to make an effort to be MUCH better. I only hold out hope, and it's more like a wish at this point, that he can turn around in a new offense.

I'd be figuring out who to bring in here to challenge this guy, but I'm not reaching for someone in the draft because we have too many holes to fill this upcoming season. If we luck out into someone that's worth a shit, great, but otherwise, I don't know if we'll be in the draft position to do anything at QB other than get a developmental guy, and that means at least two more years of Tannehill.

So you see why I'm hoping this guy can turn around in a new offense, because there's not one real solid scenario where we will be competitive for at least two or three years unless a Dan Marino or Tom Brady falls into our lap, because we'll be developing someone. The real blame for this is the front office. There should always be a developmental guy in your system. We waste money on Matt fucking Moore instead.

I hate to even think about waiting another two or three years to become a good team again, so I'm just going to wish against my better judgement that Tannehilll is just stuck in a shit offense with a bad pass protection line, because if I don't do that, then I face the stark reality of missing the playoffs another two or three, or more, years, which is, gentlemen, what's going to happen if Dipshit McGee doesn't get his head out of his ass and start playing the QB position as if his fucking career depends on it, because quite frankly, it does.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:37 am

PREACH IT, BRUTHA!!! TESTIFY!!! cheers

Only this team could win and somehow cause fans to have an even lower opinion of the QB and offense than they did before the game Laughing Top THAT, Lions and Browns! Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:47 am

Omar gets it.

The kid has gotten 60 starts. SIXTY. This team is capped with him at the helm.

As bad as a rebuild sounds, either do it now or do it later.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-ravens-kelly-column-1207-20151206-story.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 am

Ok we are all wallowing in misery following yet another historically bad display by our offense.

Here's some optimism.

Reshad Jones has turned into an absolute stud. A defense with Suh at DT and Jones at Safety, is really only missing a star linebacker to play lights-out defense. We get the right coordinator in here, swap out some of the trash for even AVERAGE players, and find an impact linebacker, we are back in business immediately on the defensive side of the ball.

So there's a glimmer of hope. We'll have to let someone else figure out the offense, it probably starts with finding a QB.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:33 am

white1 wrote:Omar gets it.

The kid has gotten 60 starts.  SIXTY.  This team is capped with him at the helm.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-ravens-kelly-column-1207-20151206-story.html

Omar brings up a good point...sure, Tannehill is under contract for at least one more season - but where's the plan B? You can't just throw all your eggs in the Tannehill basket without having an alternative option. Since Tannehill has been a Dolphin, we've trotted out Matt Moore and a bunch of non-NFL caliber clipboard holders behind him. That's simply not acceptable, not in a league where passing is king and great QBs win championships. The Dolphins can no longer afford to ignore the most important position on the field. Ideally, they add a legit veteran and a draft pick in the offseason. Tannehill MUST be challenged, and the Phins MUST get a QB that can take over for Tannehill if he continues to play like dogcrap.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 am

Heroes of the Day: The Refs

phantom offensive pass interference, uncalled tackle by face mask on the very next play, 2 back to back offsides calls on missed and blocked extra point (yes, they were the correct calls, but it lead to the difference in the game), and 2 generous spots on 3rd and 4th down stand. without the officials' help, the Phins lose this game by at least 2 scores.

i wanted to give an honorable mention to Miller, but the fumble when it least could be afforded erased that thought.

i also wanted to give an honorable mention to the d-line, but the truth is, the refs and the Ravens (Schaub) horrible offense gift wrapped this game. an even then, the defense struggled for the vast majority of the day to stop Baltimore from moving the ball...and a ridiculous decision to attempt a 55 yard kick in those conditions.

Goat of the Day: Ryan Tannehill

i think all the sacks are finally in Tannehill's head. he's rushing passes to avoid the pass rush causing his throws to be wildly inaccurate. i think its a matter of not setting his feet because he's so anxious to get the ball out. it seems especially apparent on throws to outside. he can still step up and fire down the middle when he's made up his mind before the snap that is what he's going to do, but if he needs to read first, he's rushing against phantom foot steps. he's doing it when a rush is coming and even when a rush isn't coming - unfortunately, with Jason Fox, the rush more often than not is coming.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:40 am

white1 wrote:...really only missing a star linebacker to play lights-out defense.

you don't think at least 1 (probably 2) quality CB is needed as well?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:38 am

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:Omar gets it.

The kid has gotten 60 starts.  SIXTY.  This team is capped with him at the helm.

Omar brings up a good point...sure, Tannehill is under contract for at least one more season - but where's the plan B?  You can't just throw all your eggs in the Tannehill basket without having an alternative option.  Since Tannehill has been a Dolphin, we've trotted out Matt Moore and a bunch of non-NFL caliber clipboard holders behind him.  That's simply not acceptable, not in a league where passing is king and great QBs win championships.  The Dolphins can no longer afford to ignore the most important position on the field.  Ideally, they add a legit veteran and a draft pick in the offseason.  Tannehill MUST be challenged, and the Phins MUST get a QB that can take over for Tannehill if he continues to play like dogcrap.

This is exactly the thing I was talking about.  Sure, you can be high on a kid, but you have to have a contingency plan.  This front office is trying to fail.  I don't believe for a stinking second that even a semi-moronic group would not have anything as a backup when you're signing a QB that hasn't proved anything at all.  

To be quite honest, if it was me, I'd be bringing in all kinds of guys in the off season just to fuck with Ryan's brain.  I'd let him know in no uncertain terms that he's on the chopping block unless his ass improves.  I'd let him know that anyone that asked me, if he failed to deliver, would be told that he's been a bag of shit in this last season and that team should steer well clear of Ryan Tannehill.  If he doesn't succeed next season, or next preseason or whatever, I'd be at the top of the list of telling teams to sign him ONLY as a backup, and don't expect a lot from him.  It feels to me like he's reached his competitive ceiling (which is mental) and that unless he can figure out whether or not football is something he ACTUALLY WANTS TO DO (because I don't think it is, not at a championship/winner level), then he's going to continue to be of no use to anyone, and I'd trade him away for a bag of wet dicks.  Unfortunately, he has zero trade value right now, nothing.  Maybe Cleveland would take him because they have zippity-doo-shit on their roster.

The front office can't be allowed to stay if they believe they have their guy right now.  What metrics are they looking at that make them believe that?  Major stats, third downs, in-division wins, red zone, what the fuck has Ryan Tannehill done to make a guy like me, one of his biggest supporters, say fuck him, if he doesn't make a major mental shift, he's dead to me?  I'm a 47-year-old man, a little higher than average intelligence, and a pretty good football acumen, and if I can see the issues, there is no reason a football front office person shouldn't.  At this point, I believe they're just very deftly ensuring that the Dolphins stay mired in shit.  This front office hasn't had any significant change since Ireland was here, and the results are exactly the same.  Some people point to Hickey's "good" drafts.  They're the same as Ireland's "good" drafts.  We get one guy who's better than average and everyone believes he's an instant HOF player, like Landry, but we don't understand, we've been eating Top Ramen so long that Kraft Mac and Cheese tastes like a delicacy.  

God damn I'm tired of this team's excuses.  We know you "didn't get it done" and "have to score more".  No shit.  I like Suh, I really do, but he was not a NEED.  Will his signing help us out?  I don't know if he's in the long-term plan right now, because if we have to rebuild again, that means getting another guy, who you have to hit on, at QB in the draft, and what if that turd doesn't work out?  You sign a guy like Suh when you're getting close.  We're not any closer to the Patriots are right now than Detroit is to becoming a vacation resort city.

GOD DAMN IT!

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:54 am

Great rant Degarmo I think we are all with you.

Ross is too damn loyal. He's had Aponte - Higgins - Tannenbaum in his ear for years. I know we just formally hired Tannenbaum but he's been around much longer than his formal employment.

Ross really needs to ask himself what this crew has done for him. Not only "lately", but ever. Does he really consider himself any better off now than when he first bought the team? Not only is the answer no, it's hell no.

Our roster is worse, still no QB, our GM is arguably worse than Ireland was, and we're spending money each year like one of the premier teams in the league yet we're the worse in our division. 0-5 in the AFC East and barreling towards 0-6.

I am mystified. How can Ross enter into a conversation with Aponte, Higgins or Tannenbaum and put any credence into anything they say? How many years of results like this until he says to himself, damn, you know I really need a different football mind at the top, and I need to ask the league for help in finding the right person.

I understand loyalty and the desire for stability. But not with results like this. This, this is head-in-the-sand, "what me worry", look the other way while the dumpster fire continues to burn, just plain stubborn old fool behavior.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Excellent posts, Degarmo and white.

What really pisses me off about this franchise is their continued acceptance, and even embracing, of mediocrity. Last week, there was a story on QAM about someone in the Dolphins front office saying that he'd take Tannehill over Cam Newton any day. And that's the fundamental issue with this team: the people in charge have no clue how to evaluate players. It's all fine and well to think Tannehill is a good guy, and you can even think that he's legitimately a good QB...but to say that you'd take him over a player that is heading toward a league MVP award and very possibly an undefeated season is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's pure insanity.

There seems to be this unwarranted belief within the organization that every player on the Dolphins is great, and it is pervasive throughout the entire organization. From Dallas Thomas to Ryan Tannehill, it's like no one on the Dolphins can see the truth. Anything bad is just glossed over. I expect fans to think that way (the blind homers, anyway), but it's really disturbing when the decision-makers on the team can't see what is clear as day to anyone with an objective view. Year after year it's the same crap - we continue to spin our wheels and the team acts like throwing money at the biggest available free agent will solve everything, because we are "close". What they fail to realize is that 8-8 is just as close to a losing season as it is a winning season.

Campbell is a breath of fresh air in that regard, because he has shown that he isn't blind, benching garbage players like Aikens and Taylor and dumping Lazor. But what does it say about this team when a 35-year old first time head coach is smarter than the guys actually running the show??? And Campbell is going to get canned at season's end anyway.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:24 pm

That's actually one of the more ironic parts to the disaster that is 2015.

Campbell is a breath of fresh air, but because he will end up ONLY winning 3-5 games with a terribly flawed roster, well, he's not good enough and will be shown the door.

What this exercise SHOULD be telling the team leadership is that this roster is garbage, and any shuffling of the coaching staff isn't going to make any appreciable progress towards making this a winning team.

I only wish that realization will hit, from where I'm sitting the current front office execs have no clue and are clearly more worried about preserving their employment, and probably increasing their own scope and power. Things like building a successful team on the field are secondary considerations.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Has anyone thought what might happen if Ross, for whatever reason (particularly if they somehow win out), retains Campbell as head coach?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Degarmo wrote:Has anyone thought what might happen if Ross, for whatever reason (particularly if they somehow win out), retains Campbell as head coach?

I'm actually OK with Campbell, with one MAJOR stipulation: he absolutely 100% MUST have legit experienced coordinators on offense and defense, one of whom would serve as the assistant head coach to help Campbell with in-game management. Maybe someone like Doug Marrone as OC...not sure who would be available for defense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Degarmo wrote:Has anyone thought what might happen if Ross, for whatever reason (particularly if they somehow win out), retains Campbell as head coach?

Obviously Campbell's 4-4 is a mixed bag so far, with some good decisions (cutting dead wood like Lazor and Coyle, benching some underachievers) and some bad (clock management and other decisions in Buffalo). But on the whole, I'm ok with retaining him.

I look at it this way. I'm not looking at 2016, but beyond that. Doesn't look like this will be a good team until 2017 at the earliest. So for me, it isn't "is Campbell ready now to be a HC" but, "does Campbell look like he could keep improving and be a top HC 2-3 years down the road?"

Looks to me like he has a shot at the latter. Since we didn't change last year when there were viable unproven options along with very viable proven options (i.e. John Fox) available and this year's crop doesn't overwhelm me, I'm ok with keeping him around.

Firing him and hiring Mangini? I'm finding a new team to follow or just not watching the NFL anymore period.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:03 pm

HalCHorn wrote:it isn't "is Campbell ready now to be a HC" but, "does Campbell look like he could keep improving and be a top HC 2-3 years down the road?"

Excellent! That is exactly the question the Dolphins should be asking. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone in the front office has that type of long-term vision.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next