The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins

+4
finskev
Umix10
DolFan 316
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins Empty Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:31 pm

Another day, another win and another dominant performance by Tua Tagovailoa. Amidst home crowd chants of “MVP! MVP!”, Tua dissected the Cleveland Browns’ defense with the precision of a master surgeon. Rarely has the NFL seen ball placement and timing at the levels Tua is producing right now. He is literally carving teams up at will, looking all but unstoppable in the process.

But the game did not start well for Miami. The Browns returned the opening kickoff 48 yards, got a quick 38 yard completion from Jacoby Brissett to Donovan Peoples-Jones, and then closed out the drive with an easy TD pass.

Fortunately, Tua and the Dolphins answered. The Miami opening drive was highlighted by a ballsy 4th and 1 attempt in their own end, with Jeff Wilson converting. A couple of nice Wilson runs, a key first down pass from Tua to Trent Sherfield, and the Phins were on the move. The Phins then tied the game on a brilliant TD that saw Tua shake and bake a rushing defender with a pump fake, and hit Alec Ingold short. Ingold showed off his athleticism with a catch and run ending in a dive to the pylon for the TD. Gorgeous play!

The Browns marched downfield on their second drive, approaching the redzone – and then Zach Sieler forced a fumble on Nick Chubb, recovered by Xavien Howard! That led to a Miami FG. A poorly-designed play killed the drive - Cedric Wilson took a handoff, attempted to pass, and instead ran and lost 6 yards.

The Phins went up 17-7 at the half, as Tua completed three of the sweetest passes you’ll ever see to Mike Gesicki, Jaylen Waddle and Sherfield. The Sherfield pass was a beautiful 14 yard TD. Unreal TD pass from Tua. Tua at the half: 14 for 17 for 154 yards and 143.6 passer rating.

The Dolphins committed to the run in this game, and Jeff Wilson – in his second game as a Dolphin – absolutely destroyed the Browns. Wilson finished the day with 119 yards and a TD, averaging an astounding 7 yards a carry. He has brought juice to this offense that didn’t exist before, and if the running game continues to play at this level the entire offense will be unstoppable. Raheem Mostert added 65 yards and a TD, with an even more unreal 8.1 yards per carry, as the Dolphins rolled to a 195 yard rushing day. The two backs also combined for 6 catches for 46 yards. Fullback Alec Ingold added 4 catches and several devastating blocks, and he solidified himself as a huge key piece of this offense.

Tua ended the day with 3 TDs on 285 yards, completing 78% of his passes. And he did it with Waddle and Tyreek Hill combining for “only” 9 catches and 110 yards. Those two receivers are so special – just a joy to watch each week. Sherfield and Ingold combined for 8 catches and 108 yards. Tua is playing at a level most QBs can’t even dream of, and the scary part is that he still hasn’t reached his ceiling.

And last but not least on offense: the offensive line was absolutely OUTSTANDING. Is it just me, or has this line gotten better and better since Robert Jones took over at LG for the injured Liam Eichenberg? To my eyes, Jones is the best Dolphins run blocker, and he was opening holes like a road grader today. The OL manhandled the Browns’ D and imposed their will – so much so, in fact, that all-world DE Myles Garrett finished the day with just 2 total tackles and no pressures. Terron Armstead and Connor Williams are playing at All Pro levels, and Brandon Shell has solidified himself at RT to the point where he deserves a long-term contract. The only blemish on the day was a sack caused by a high snap from Williams – one of several high snaps on the day. Otherwise, this OL was simply amazing. OL highlight for me: Mostert had a 24 yard TD run on the opening drive of the second half, with Jones and the OL clearing a hole that a tank could have driven through. Very impressive.

The much-maligned defensive coordinator Josh Boyer and his defense answered the call today, as they played near-perfect football after a shaky start. RB Nick Chubb was held to just 63 yards, with his only long run coming on a 4th quarter 33-yard TD. Aside from that one run, he did nothing. Fellow RB Kareem Hunt was completely shut down. Former Dolphins QB Jacoby Brissett started strong, but succumbed to the constant Dolphins pressure and ended the day with just 212 passing yards. The Miami front 7 was outstanding, with Jae Phillips, Bradley Chubb, Melvin Ingram, Christian Wilkins, Zach Sieler, Raekwon Davis, Jerome Baker, Andrew Van Ginkel and Elandon Roberts all wreaking havoc all day. Late in the first half, the Dolphins had a sack that exemplified what they are looking for now that Chubb is in the fold: Ingram and Chubb lined up wide, both blew up the tackles trying to block them and they met at the QB, where Wilkins flew in from the middle to clean it up for a huge 3rd down sack. Chubb was a monster today, and it was obvious that he made everyone around him better. If the D can keep getting consistent pressure like this, it will go a long way toward the Dolphins making a run.

The secondary put forth some bend-don’t-break coverage today, keeping everything in front of them and limiting the Browns pass production. Keion Crossen left the game early with an injury, and was replaced by Justin Bethel – who proceeded to have an excellent game, tying for the team lead in tackles and defending two passes. Dolphins rookie of the year Kader Kohou added 3 passes defensed of his own. The way this no-name secondary just keeps plugging away is inspiring. It isn’t always pretty, but it usually is effective at the end of the day.

Special teams was not good. They gave up the aforementioned big kick return to start the game, and Jason Sanders missed not one but two extra points. That’s just not acceptable, and his leash has to be short at this point. The Dolphins did not punt today, for the first time since 2003 – a testament to how good the offense was.

After the Dolphins game ended, the Vikings-Bills game went to OT, and Josh Allen choked the game away with his second endzone INT of the day. As a result, after 10 weeks, your Miami Dolphins are in first place!!!! At 7-3 heading into the bye week, the Dolphins are exactly where they need to be with an offense that is firing on all cylinders and a defense that does just enough and may be poised to be much better. Who could ask for more than that?

Hero of the Game: I want to give it to the 7-0 Tua, or better yet the entire team, but instead I am going to give it to the Offensive Line. This unit has gotten better and better each week, and today they were nearly perfect. Dominant both pass protecting and run blocking, this is an OL that is ascending in a hurry.

Goat of the Game: I hate to say anything bad about anyone after this great victory, but I have to be honest and call out Jason Sanders. Two missed extra points in the same game is just not acceptable at any level. He did make his two FG attempts, but at this point he’d better start getting his resume ready, because his level of play this season is not up to par.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:59 pm

FROM THE DEEPLY DEPRESSING AND DISMAL DEPTHS OF DESPAIR TO HEAVENLY HEIGHTS OF HALCYON DAYS!!! IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN, BABY!!! cheers cheers cheers

And the season's biggest margin of victory couldn't have come over a better team  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil The Browns deserve this mountain of massive misery for signing He Who Shall Not Be Named!!!

Also, 3-1 VS the AFC North will look pretty good come playoff tiebreaker time methinks  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 10, Browns at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:49 pm

Ogbah out for the year with a torn tricep. That Chubb trade looks even better now.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:53 pm

JMP wrote:Ogbah out for the year with a torn tricep.  That Chubb trade looks even better now.

Meh, he wasn't doing anything anyway, might as well have been injured this whole time.

If Ingram can temporarily halt his geezerhood like he did in September the pass rush at least won't get any worse.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:03 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Ogbah out for the year with a torn tricep.  That Chubb trade looks even better now.

Meh, he wasn't doing anything anyway, might as well have been injured this whole time.

If Ingram can temporarily halt his geezerhood like he did in September the pass rush at least won't get any worse.

Ogbah had just gotten over his back injury, and now this. Would have been great to have another pass rusher to add to the mix, but it is what it is. Ingram was excellent today - hope he can keep it up!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:02 pm

McDaniel gave the entire team a game ball after the game!

And at the end of his locker room speech, he pointed to Tua and said: "He won't tell you, but this dude is playing lights the fuck out!!" And you can hear someone in the background say "He's the Terminator!"

cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:17 pm

JMP wrote:McDaniel gave the entire team a game ball after the game!

And at the end of his locker room speech, he pointed to Tua and said: "He won't tell you, but this dude is playing lights the fuck out!!"  And you can hear someone in the background say "He's the Terminator!"

cheers cheers cheers

Video please?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:28 pm

Here's the video of the locker room speech. I think this will work...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:45 pm

I thought that the Dolphins played well. I think the defense is going to get better if they could get Byron Jones back after the bye week.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:21 am

Umix10 wrote:I thought that the Dolphins played well.  I think the defense is going to get better if they could get Byron Jones back after the bye week.  

At this point, I'm just assuming Jones is done for the season - and probably done with the Dolphins. I heard awhile ago that he had pretty severe atrophy in his leg due to being unable to exercise while his Achilles injury healed. If that's the case, it may take a long time to get back to playing shape - and the season is already halfway over. I think we just continue to roll with Kohou, Crossen, Bethel and Campbell - and pray that the Crossen injury yesterday wasn't serious.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:29 am

JMP wrote:
Umix10 wrote:I thought that the Dolphins played well.  I think the defense is going to get better if they could get Byron Jones back after the bye week.  

At this point, I'm just assuming Jones is done for the season - and probably done with the Dolphins.  I heard awhile ago that he had pretty severe atrophy in his leg due to being unable to exercise while his Achilles injury healed.  If that's the case, it may take a long time to get back to playing shape - and the season is already halfway over.  I think we just continue to roll with Kohou, Crossen, Bethel and Campbell - and pray that the Crossen injury yesterday wasn't serious.

If the severe atrophy part is true Jones may be done for good. I wouldn't blame him if he did retire. Marino had the same issue BTW after his Achilles tear but I would've thought medical technology would've improved enough in almost 30 years to prevent that sort of thing now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:48 am

The Natural High I'm Getting Watching these Games especially When Tua Plays Makes up for the Fact that I don't Smoke Weed. Ingold showed some serious ability on that Leap for the Pylon not many Fullbacks are making that Play. Sanders needs to get Pushed by bringing in some Kickers on the Bye Week just to snap Him out out of his Funk. 3rd Sack when Ingram, Phillips, Chubb all meeting at Brissett was Cool. I need to Watch the Replay being at Work and Training Someone and Trying to Watch Football wasn't Easy might have saw about 45 Minutes.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:16 am

I almost hate to see the bye week now with the team hitting on all cylinders and playing the most complete game they've played all year. But this is the best I've felt about a Dolphins team this late in the season since at least 1994, and even then I had an uneasy feeling about losing Byars (who turned out to be irreplaceable that year, though James Saxon did his best) in addition to Kirby.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:37 am

How great is it that FINALLY a nice guy, a decent person, someone who didn't blow the Eff up at Stupid, Ignorant ToxicTeamKiller Flores antics, is getting rewarded?

I hope we never see Tua get the big head like Brady and Rogers. I don't think we will.

It's gonna be strange to see the media start treating the Phins like they are NFL heavyweights.

It's been a long time since that happened.

Byron Jones - I didn't think he was worth what they paid him, but they did need another man to man CB to make the Phins Flores D work like it was supposed to.

Let's hope Kohou and Bethel keep playing like they have been. Bethel had some great pass defenses in the game.

I have pencilled in CB as the priority for next year's draft, but... I am now thinking if Jaheim Bell from South Carolina is there in the 2nd....

This Dude plays TE, WR, and RB. From So. Carolina. Remind anyone of another So. Carolina player who now plays for the 49ers.... named Deebo?

How great would it be for McDaniel to add a real "Deebo" type player to this Phins Offense.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:46 am

JMP wrote:Brandon Shell has solidified himself at RT to the point where he deserves a long-term contract.

Shell has definitely solidified the RT spot. so i hope this is just McDaniel being considerate of a fragile Jackson's feelings.

“I see Austin as our starting right tackle,” McDaniel said. “[But] we will play him at whatever position best serves us at a given moment to win the game. The play of B-Shell lends us the opportunity to utilize him at other positions because his play has been so strong, but I still without a shadow of a doubt haven’t strayed away at all from my feeling of Austin being the starting right tackle. He’s showing improvement in detail and execution of certain things.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article267919492.html

i don't even want him replacing Jones. there may come a time when due to injuries the Phins have to go back to Jackson this season (hopefully for not more than a game or two), so maybe this is just McDaniel keeping Jackson's spirits up.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:50 am

HalCHorn wrote:I almost hate to see the bye week now with the team hitting on all cylinders and playing the most complete game they've played all year.  But this is the best I've felt about a Dolphins team this late in the season since at least 1994, and even then I had an uneasy feeling about losing Byars (who turned out to be irreplaceable that year, though James Saxon did his best) in addition to Kirby.

Don't forget HOW Kirby was lost--on a completely unnecessary 2 point try down 28-6 in the first half VS the Vikings! Also, Parmalee was never the same player after HE was hurt as well--right after setting a franchise record at the time for most rushing yardage in a 3-game stretch, forcing the Fins to have to use Irving Spikes and a completely washed-up Cleveland Gary VS the Bears, a game they STILL would've won if not for the most ridiculously successful fake FG TD pass of all time where the intended receiver was actually smothered Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

(Takes deep breath.) Okay okay, I'm fine. Back to how well this team is doing Very Happy

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:52 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:Brandon Shell has solidified himself at RT to the point where he deserves a long-term contract.

Shell has definitely solidified the RT spot.  so i hope this is just McDaniel being considerate of a fragile Jackson's feelings.

“I see Austin as our starting right tackle,” McDaniel said. “[But] we will play him at whatever position best serves us at a given moment to win the game. The play of B-Shell lends us the opportunity to utilize him at other positions because his play has been so strong, but I still without a shadow of a doubt haven’t strayed away at all from my feeling of Austin being the starting right tackle. He’s showing improvement in detail and execution of certain things.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article267919492.html

i don't even want him replacing Jones.  there may come a time when due to injuries the Phins have to go back to Jackson this season (hopefully for not more than a game or two), so maybe this is just McDaniel keeping Jackson's spirits up.

Oh crap, that has me legit horrified now affraid affraid affraid What's next, McDaniel talking about putting Eich back into the lineup? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:06 am

Jones and Shell need to keep starting, period.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:07 am

finskev wrote:Sanders needs to get Pushed by bringing in some Kickers on the Bye Week just to snap Him out out of his Funk.

Absolutely! Put some pressure on Sanders: bring some kickers in and sign one to the practice squad. The bye week is the perfect time.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:11 am

HalCHorn wrote:Jones and Shell need to keep starting, period.  

100%! Hopefully McDaniel is just building up a young player by talking up AJax. There's no way you can mess with the OL right now - this unit is FINALLY playing at a high level for the first time in ages!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 am

HalCHorn wrote:Jones and Shell need to keep starting, period.

PREACH AWN, BRUTHA!!! KEEP DROPPING THOSE TRUTH BOMBS!!!

JMP wrote:
finskev wrote:Sanders needs to get Pushed by bringing in some Kickers on the Bye Week just to snap Him out out of his Funk.

Absolutely!  Put some pressure on Sanders: bring some kickers in and sign one to the practice squad.  The bye week is the perfect time.

I was wondering when somebody would post about this. I'm completely down with it. Literally nothing to lose by doing this.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:21 am

the three things that made me most happy about this game. the Dolphins proved they were able to be an offensive juggernaut while relying on players other than Hill and Waddle. the Phins led the turnover margin (now let's see some more interceptions). and the defense had a multiple sack game.

all winning attributes!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:12 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:the Dolphins proved they were able to be an offensive juggernaut while relying on players other than Hill and Waddle.

That's a huge development that came out of this game.

I would also add that it was great to see Tua utilizing short passes to the backs when nothing was open deep. My one criticism prior to this game (and even going back to Alabama) was that it seemed like he looked for the home run too often, ignoring the higher-percentage shorter passes that were open. Adding that short element to his game makes him even more deadly!

Also great to see how well Wilson and Chubb fit in and have been accepted from a team perspective, like when Hill ushered Wilson into the endzone and Chubb and Phillips were dancing after a big play.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:21 pm

The Dolphins did not punt the ball once in their 39-17 win over the Browns.

That marks the first game Miami has had 30+ points and 0 punts since Week 15, 1988 in a 38-31 win against ... the Browns (on a Monday night in Miami).

Here is a Stat For You.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:00 pm

finskev wrote:The Dolphins did not punt the ball once in their 39-17 win over the Browns.

That marks the first game Miami has had 30+ points and 0 punts since Week 15, 1988 in a 38-31 win against ... the Browns (on a Monday night in Miami).

Here is a Stat For You.

Nice worK, Kev! 316 is slipping... Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next