The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Player notes

5 posters

Go down

Player notes Empty Player notes

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:58 am

Some interesting player notes.

Jones had leg surgery in March; he was supposed to be ready for the start of training camp but hasn’t practiced or played all year for reasons he has declined to explain.

“He could have... helped,” Madison said. “Injuries come up. Some people fight through them. Some people don’t.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article269641106.html

So according to Sam Madison, apparently injured CB Byron Jones could’ve been healthy enough to play, but chose not to - and chose not to explain. wonder if maybe he was a Flores guy and didn't like the changes - or just a case of a guy getting a huge sum of money and deciding he didn't need to work hard anymore.

“It’s been quite a journey with Hunter; we’ve had interesting times,” Embree said. “Football is important to him; there were times I wondered about that.”

Why did Embree wonder about that?

“Sometimes I wondered about preparation, how hard he prepared.”

And so Hunter Long is just another guy in a long list of young players not willing to put in the work. Hopefully he’s matured because…

With Mike Gesicki likely to move on, does Embree believe Long and rookie Tanner Conner are ready for more prominent roles?

“They’ll have to be unless you know anyone coming through the door,” Embree said. “That’s [a] Chris Grier” decision.

Embree, incidentally, said Gesicki could have been a “cancer” but wasn’t.

For one, the TE coach is treating it like a forgone conclusion that Gesicki won't be coming back. And crediting for not being a “cancer” kind of implies that Gesicki knew from the get-go he was not in the team's plans. Odd, its like they never tried to give him a chance of find a way to use his talents.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Player notes Empty Re: Player notes

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:39 am

Yep... About what I suspected.

I knew why they went out and signed Jones, but I was not as excited about it as some Phans.

There was nothing special about Long and why Grier drafted him was a mystery. Especially with the gaggle of just as good TEs and Gesicki that the Phins had at the time.

Gesicki does not fit into McD's system and apparently McD does not want to build anything into the offense to take advantage of Gesicki's skills. I do not understand why Gesicki was not more of a redzone threat though? That would have been the perfect place to utilize his size and movement ability IMO.

Some of the Phins offensive problems were self-inflicted IMO. McD runs the same offense and features the same plays no matter who is at QB, who is a LT, or which star WR is taking a break on the sidelines. That is one reason the Dolphins high-flying offense got nipped in the bud when the defenses started taking away the middle of the field and the QBs first and second reads I am thinking.

They probably should have tried to trade Gesicki at the start of free agency last season and not at the end after the franchise tag had been applied.

They have no leverage at all this off season.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:07 am

a little more on Gesicki

“It’s been up and down,” tight ends coach John Embree said. “...Mike learning how to contribute without having the ball in his hand has been a process. I think it’s something that as we’ve continued to move forward that he’s gotten better at and has kind of embraced it as much as he can, that aspect of playing this position.

“But what we do in that room is really unique because you’ve got to pass block, run block and you go out for passes. When you’re asked to do those different things, sometimes those skills maybe aren’t as developed as they needed to be. Maybe they’re skills that are completely new, or maybe it’s just something that you can’t do.”

Embree added: “We all know what Mike is as a past catcher; there’s things that I would like him to get better at as a route runner, whether it’s zone or man releases.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article269997727.html

so i kind of think we all knew they weren't thrilled with Gesicki as a blocker, but apparently they don't like his route runner either.

i get it, he's not a complete TE, but still, he's 3rd on the team in TD receptions with 5. i am a bit surprised considering the redzone struggles the 2nd half of the season, they couldn't figure out a way to use his size and hands in the endzone (or on 3rd downs) more. but i guess it is what it is - they decided in training camp that he wasn't what they wanted and that was the end of it.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:25 am

You've got to find a way to use Gesicki - period. Just no excuse for not getting him more involved. Absolutely, the blocking and route running are issues - but we all knew that going in. He can still be a valuable situational player, especially on third downs and in the red zone. I think he could have his biggest game of the season on Sunday with Skylar at QB and the Bills keying on Hill and Waddle - there should be opportunities all game.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:17 am

One thing I noticed about Skylar last week - he was throwing to the TE a lot more than Tua did...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am

white1 wrote:One thing I noticed about Skylar last week - he was throwing to the TE a lot more than Tua did...

Yep, absolutely. I think that could be a huge part of the offense Sunday. Especially since you have to figure the Bills will stack the box, at least early. Hitting the TEs early on quick short passes could be a way to get some easy completions and help Skylar get settled. And if we are successful with that, it could open up both the run game and deeper passes as the game progresses.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:18 pm

I agree with Merc. I think I have mentioned before that Gesicki's size and speed would seem to make him a formidable receiving threat in the end zone?? Even that lateral sprint along the goal line pass and let him catch it and cross the goal line would work  I am thinking?

This is another reason you have to wonder if McD is "blinded" by his offensive scheme and unwilling to make adjustments to suit the talent he has on hand?

I would think you could plug Gesicki in at WR and get SOME USE from him.

Gesicki does round off his routes sometimes it looks like. Instead of selling the burst past the DB, he starts rounding off early and that lets the DB know which way he is going. Some analyst pointed it out and after knowing what to look for, you can see it on most of the routes Gesicki runs.

This may be the reason?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:04 am

all of the Dolphins players were in the locker room and available to the media, including injured reserve players. other than Tua, who could not be there due to the concussion protocol, all of them were there...Ogbah, Trill Williams, Brandon Jones, Nik Needham. well, all except one...

Monday was the only day that players on injured reserve were permitted to speak this season. Byron Jones, who spent the season on the physically unable to perform list, was not in the locker room during that media access period.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article271244647.html

bye, bye Jones. time to reap some salary cap from your post June 1 release.

Jones’ salary is nonguaranteed for next season, but there isn’t significant cap relief for cutting him until after June 1, after which Miami will have conducted most of its offseason business.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article271228932.html

and Grier confirmed what we all knew about Gesicki being as good as gone.

He said tight end Mike Gesicki — an impending free agent — “did a great job this year. Told Mike I was proud of him. He worked through it. He’s earned a right to be a free agent.”

i look forward (not really) to seeing Mike rip the Phins' defense apart twice a year as a Patriot.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:11 am

Yep, Byron is a goner. I liked him, but with all the uncertainty surrounding his injury this season I'm happy to say good bye.

I'm going to miss Gesicki. One of my favorite Dolphins without a doubt. I think he's heading to the Giants, personally.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:45 am

Remember when I said after Hunter Long was drafted two years ago now that Grier's plan all along was to have him replace Gesicki? Because I did. Another case of me hating to be right Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

This would be the same Hunter Long BTW wo has all of a single 8-yard reception in those 2 seasons. But he gets to stay while Gesicki was deemed to be trash SMH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LongHu00.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:27 pm

Yeah, the whole franchise tag thing was asinine IMO. I think they thought they could lock him ups and then trade him, but the franchise tag actually made it impossible to trade him.

The Pats would have to kick one of those two big money TEs to the curb to sign Gesicki, I think?

Smith got 4 yrs for 50 mill and Henry got 3 yrs for 37.5 mill.

I am sure Belicheck would LOVE Gesicki. But let's hope Gesicki goes to an NFC team. Rolling Eyes

There are some big TEs who can block and pass catch that may be available at the Phins 164 pick? So who knows? Schoonmaker, Kunst, Durham and maybe even Musgrave. (Assuming PFNs ratings are worth a plugged nickel, and I wouldn't pay that for them, so...) I just do not have a lot of confidence in Long at this point.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:30 pm

The thing is, Long can't even block either so essentially he's useless. And now we're trusting the same guy who drafted HIM to replace the one TE who was any good to go out and get another one who's at least as good or better that he'll likely pay MORE than the good one he already had but decided to let walk?

(Wrings hands in despair.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:50 am

I think franchising Gesicki was the right move. It was done before we acquired Hill, so I do believe he was initially expected to be a big part of the offense. But even with the overall underwhelming stats, Gesicki made some huge plays and played a key role in several of Miami's wins.

Hunter Long is a waste of a roster space. Time to cut bait. I'd let Smythe play out his contract (he has one year left), try to develop Tanner Conner, and try to sign Jordan Akins or Hayden Hurst.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down