The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Notes on June 1 OTA practice

5 posters

Go down

Notes on June 1 OTA practice Empty Notes on June 1 OTA practice

Post by JMP Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Player of the day was apparently rookie CB Tony Lippett, who had three INTs! We already know Lippett had ball skills as a former WR...now we have to find out if he can cover. If so, he could be a steal. I'm honestly not expecting much, but that would be a nice shot in the arm for the Phins' secondary.

Notes from Omar Kelly:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-live-updates-from-dolphins-ota-practice-20150601-story.html#page=1

Notes from Armando Salguero:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/06/ten-quickie-observations-from-mondays-ota-session-for-the-miami-dolphins-1-kicker-caleb-sturgis-was-not-present-and-will-m.html

From Armando:
The Dolphins did indeed work red zone drills because, as I've told you in the past, they want to finish this year. Finish the season. Finish games. And, of course, finish drives.

To that end on offense, tight end Jordan Cameron is a weapon. He caught two TD passes in the red zone. Dion Sims likewise had two red zone TDs.

On defense, this is a bid deal. The D must improve in the red zone. Kelvin Sheppard had a pass defensed to stop a TD bid. About the linebackers: It is assume by some that the Dolphins are set with Koa Misi in the middle and Chris McCain and Jelani Jenkins on the outside. I believe the competition is that group versus Sheppard in the middle, Misi and Jenkins on the outside.

The question is can Sheppard show more instincts in the middle than Misi while Misi is more stout against the run than McCain. Or perhaps McCain is simply so athletic and such a playmaker (as he showed in the 2013 opener) that he has to be on the field.

Great news about the TEs getting red zone opportunities. That was one of my biggest criticisms of Lazor last season - he never seemed to call red zone plays for the TEs. Hopefully that changes this season.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Notes on June 1 OTA practice Empty Re: Notes on June 1 OTA practice

Post by Birdmond Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:47 pm

The only reason I'm not expecting much from Lippett this year is Coyle and his rookie phobia. I do believe Lippett will prove to be an outstanding pick, just not this year.

As for the TE's, it is great news but I'm not getting attached to a concussion prone TE. Great that Simms is getting more red zone action.

More rookie news. I read that Phillips is not just a bull dozer. He's got pass rush moves. That's kind of scary.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Birdmond wrote:As for the TE's, it is great news but I'm not getting attached to a concussion prone TE.

Yeah, same here. Cameron is one hit away from retirement. Plus, for all the praise Dolfans love to heap on him, his only good season wasn't much different, statistically, from Clay's best season.

Birdmond wrote:More rookie news. I read that Phillips is not just a bull dozer. He's got pass rush moves. That's kind of scary.

That is good to hear. I really hope Phillips puts it all together, because he definitely has the talent and skillset. How fast can he learn, and how much does he really "want it"? Those are the questions he has to answer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:53 pm

10 OTA notes from Omar on his Twitter account:

@OmarKelly

10. Jay Ajayi is playing like the type of tailback who Joe Philbin hates. He doesn't want dancing. See hole, hit hole is what he wants.
9. LaMichael James got plenty of work today and is apparently ahead of Mike Gillislee on the depth chart. Gillislee is invisible.
8. Josh Freeman was hold your nose bad during OTA session media watched last week. He was a bit respectable today. The jury is still out.
7. I thought rookie TE Tom Semisch, who was signed after being a rookie camp tryout, was just a camp body. But he keeps making plays.
6. Kelvin Sheppard flashed for the second OTA session. He's got run stuffing instincts that pops on that second unit defense.
5. Dolphins are subtly rotating OGs,which makes he feel a lil better because I'm not sure Dallas Thomas or Billy Turner are the final answer
4. I thought Tony Lippett was practice squad material. Right now I wouldn't rule him out to start. What I saw today was special, not luck.
3. Jamar Taylor has a physical side to him that he flashed last season, and he showcased during Monday's practice.
2. The Dolphins slowed down Louis Delmas and Will Davis. They were both kept from practicing 6 months into their ACL rehab. Worked last week
Expand
1. Branden Albert doesn't look close. He has a very noticeable limp. Not sure he's cleared to start training camp. (insert my sad face)

Some reactions from me:

The note about Ajayi is disappointing. Nothing worse than a big RB that dances instead of hitting the hole. Add in his history of fumbles, and we could be talking about Daniel Thomas 2.0. The Dolphins are good at finding big backs that play small.

I think I like Sheppard better than Misi at MLB. I don't think the coaches would start him over Misi, but I think our best three LBs would be Jenkins, Sheppard and hopefully McCain.

I really hope Lippett shows up when the pads go on...having a big, young corner that can actually play would be huge.

Why is Mike Gillislee still on the roster? He never should have made it to the NFL to begin with..I don't know why the Phins keep bringing him back.

I said Freeman was a waste of time when the Phins signed him. Nothing I've read about him so far has changed my mind. He's taking up a spot that could go to a young QB that actually has upside.

TE Tom Semisch is 6'8". Would be nice if he could have a good showing when the pads come on and earn a roster spot...that #3 TE job is wide open.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:46 am

This Ajayi stuff pisses me off. How about the RB coach get in his face every time he dances in the backfield? It shouldn't be that hard to stop. I'd just stop practice every time he does it and light him up.

Semisch and Lippett could make this rookie class an all time great if they develop.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:48 am

Semisch is my new Chris Hogan.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:00 am

There were changes to the defense this off season because the defense was so complicated the veterans couldn't understand it. That was the reason the rookies didn't play in it. They couldn't understand it.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:12 am

CarsonChris wrote:There were changes to the defense this off season because the defense was so complicated the veterans couldn't understand it. That was the reason the rookies didn't play in it. They couldn't understand it.

It's crazy that it took three years to figure that out! That's just poor coaching.

Most NFL coaches hate to change the way they do things, so I'll be surprised if Coyle's scheme has really changed all that much. But I guess we'll see. And chances are, Chris McCain and Jordan Phillips are going to be the only two young players (guys that came into the league this year or last year) that are going to have significant responsibilities on this D IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Birdmond wrote:The only reason I'm not expecting much from Lippett this year is Coyle and his rookie phobia.  I do believe Lippett will prove to be an outstanding pick, just not this year.

As for the TE's,  it is great news but I'm not getting attached to a concussion prone TE.   Great that Simms is getting more red zone action.  

More rookie news.  I read that Phillips is not just a bull dozer. He's got pass rush moves.  That's kind of scary.  

That why I am hoping that Ross and his win now idea make Coyle think differently

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Lippett got some first team reps today. I'm pretty exited about Lippett. It also seems La'Michael James is getting a lot of work which is interesting.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:30 am

Birdmond wrote:Lippett got some first team reps today.   I'm pretty exited about Lippett.  It also seems La'Michael James is getting a lot of work which is interesting.  

Sounds like every single corner on the roster is getting a chance opposite Grimes. That can't be good news for Jamar Taylor... I think Lippett will stick on the practice squad this year. Maybe he'll get called up if there's injuries.

I think James is a waste of time. Maybe he gets some play as a returner, but I don't view him as an NFL-caliber running back.

In other OTA news, it sounds like Tannehill and Landry kicked ass yesterday! Always good to hear.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:40 am

If Lippett gets put on the practice squad he'll be snatched up. It would be a huge mistake on Miami's part. I think he'll beat out Davis.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:11 am

JMP wrote:Sounds like every single corner on the roster is getting a chance opposite Grimes.

you might be right - no less that 6 guys got 1st team reps.

Miami Herald wrote:The McCain cornerbacks each broke up passing plays and Bobby McCain had a sack on a blitz. Both continue to get work in the slot and the boundary… Rookie Tony Lippett got some first-team snaps, as did at least six cornerbacks on the roster.

Good to see Will Davis doing 11 on 11 drills, less than seven months after sustaining a torn ACL. He seems to be moving around well.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/06/news-views-nuggets-from-mondays-dolphins-practice.html

and perhaps encouraging is that Douglas seems to be overtaking Dallas Thomas - at least without pads on.

The great guard experiment continues! Today, Billy Turner and Jeff Linkenbach got first-team snaps at right guard (Turner got more than Linkenbach and remains the front-runner at that position), while Jamil Douglas and Dallas Thomas took with first-team snaps at left guard. Douglas seemed to get more time today with the first team than Thomas, but Douglas said the snaps are being split equally.

The Dolphins have been impressed with Douglas. “He doesn’t make a lot of mental mistakes,” Joe Philbin said. "I really like what I see."

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:22 am

I read an article somewhere that said Douglas was the strongest of all Dolphin offensive lineman. Nice to see he seems pretty smart as well.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 am

Birdmond wrote:If Lippett gets put on the practice squad he'll be snatched up.   It would be a huge mistake on Miami's part.   I think he'll beat out Davis.  

Maybe, maybe not. Lippett's a raw player with very little experience at corner and he will likely need a lot of time to develop. At his size, he's strictly a boundary corner IMO, so that limits his options. And I have no idea if he can play STs. I don't know that there's too many teams that would find a spot on their 53 for him at this stage.

I think we're pretty set at corner. Grimes, Bowman and Brice McCain are locks IMO; I think those are the three starters with Brice M. in the slot. Then you have Jamar Taylor and Bobby McCain - they're staying. And Don Jones may be a lock because he is arguably the team's best special teams player, even though he's basically useless as a corner. So that's 6 players already that I would say are pretty much set in stone barring injury. Will we keep 7 corners? I don't know, but if so I think a healthy Will Davis gets the nod over Lippett. Davis knows the defense well and is very good on STs, and he can get snaps on D from day one.

But, we'll see...I just think there's too many hurdles for Lippet to clear, unless he somehow looks like a superstar in preseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:37 am

mercury22nathan wrote:perhaps encouraging is that Douglas seems to be overtaking Dallas Thomas - at least without pads on.

That would be great...anything that puts Thomas on the bench is OK in my book.

My concern with Douglas is that he'll fold when the pads come on and the hitting starts. He's strong, but what I saw in college was a finesse lineman that plays very soft and gets pushed around. Maybe the coaches can help with his technique, but I just am not impressed with what I saw from Douglas. I'd feel much better if we can get a veteran in there, because the idea of starting two inexperienced guards is scary.

I'm not sold on Turner as a guard either - I think he's a natural tackle - but at least he doesn't look like a lost cause like Thomas.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down