The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

+7
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
finskev
61finfan
Umix10
finfanatic
JMP
11 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC Empty BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:31 pm

Yep, Vic is gone after one VERY disappointing season.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:36 pm

As much as I loved the Fangio hire, it is very obvious that he never felt comfortable with this job and never got the players to fully buy in. Really, aside from a good stretch when Ramsey came back, it was a pretty disastrous defensive season in terms of big plays allowed and points allowed. Fangio's bend-but-don't-break defense broke too often, and some of his playcalling was just plain head-scratching. And speaking of head-scratching, how is it that a rookie 2nd round pick could play pretty well in preseason and then get only 20 snaps or whatever it was in the regular season???

I was a big Fangio fan and I hate that he failed, but I do applaud McDaniel and Grier for recognizing the problem and dealing with it. Now, if they can only do the same thing on special teams...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Fangio is OUT as Dolphins DC

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:48 pm

Dolphins LB coach Anthony Campanile is getting interviews from other teams for DC positions...wonder if he'd be an option?

Otherwise, Wink Martindale is tops on my list if we go the veteran route.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:58 pm

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:59 pm

Shocked!

I wonder if we will ever get the whole story on this.

Probably not.

Oh well...
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Its funny but I remember posting one game that the Defensive Playcalls looked a lot like Boyer. JMP agreed and now we confirm that Fangio is the problem.

In the words of the late great Bernie Mac "it dont make no mofuckin sense"

But again, I dont think it aint all his fault. But damn, the reason why you firing Fangio is a good reason to fire McDaniel too.......lets just keep it real!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 pm

finfanatic wrote:Shocked!

I wonder if we will ever get the whole story on this.

Probably not.

Oh well...

Supposedly he really wanted the Eagles job, so he probably asked for his release now that the Eagles job is open. Who knows.

All I know is, the Vic Fangio we actually got isn't the Vic Fangio I expected we'd get.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:04 pm

Campanellie would be awesome
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:08 pm

Umix10 wrote:Its funny but I remember posting one game that the Defensive Playcalls looked a lot like Boyer. JMP agreed and now we confirm that Fangio is the problem.

In the words of the late great Bernie Mac "it dont make no mofuckin sense"

But again, I dont think it aint all his fault.  But damn, the reason why you firing Fangio is a good reason to fire McDaniel too.......lets just keep it real!

The cover 0 look we ran late in the season in the red zone (against the Ravens or Bills maybe?), where we had 8 defenders at the goal line and the opponent gained an easy 10 yards, was the play that sealed it for me. There's nothing I hate more than watching my defense give up easy first downs and big plays, and that's what we saw under Boyer and again under Fangio. They both ran a weak-ass soft zone system...the only difference is that Boyer stupidly blitzed on every down, while Fangio rarely blitzed. Same results, though.

At least McDaniel had the offense ranked top 5 in most major categories, even if they did shit the bed against better opponents.

Bottom line, though, I don't think Fangio ever wanted this job. He sure coached that way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:14 pm

Umix10 wrote:Campanellie would be awesome

I was impressed with him on Hard Knocks. He's a tough, no-nonsense coach and seemed like he knew what he was doing. I'd prefer a more experienced coach, but I wouldn't be against him at all.

Some people are saying Brandon Staley could be in the mix. I hated him as a head coach, and his Chargers defenses weren't good - but he was excellent with the Rams in his one year as DC. So...I don't know.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:17 pm

JMP wrote:I was impressed with him on Hard Knocks.  He's a tough, no-nonsense coach and seemed like he knew what he was doing.  I'd prefer a more experienced coach, but I wouldn't be against him at all.............

Maaaaaannnnn........Dan Campbell vibes coming at me about this guy..............................look what happened to him!!!!!!!

Experience is good to an extent...but I just keep looking at Fangio and what his experience meant.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:18 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:I was impressed with him on Hard Knocks.  He's a tough, no-nonsense coach and seemed like he knew what he was doing.  I'd prefer a more experienced coach, but I wouldn't be against him at all.............

Maaaaaannnnn........Dan Campbell vibes coming at me about this guy..............................look what happened to him!!!!!!!

Very true!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 61finfan Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:35 pm

Canmpy is from my hometown so I'm rooting for that big time. His family is famous in this neck of the woods

61finfan

JMP, JEGnj and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:51 pm

This was a One Year Money Grab and His Family is from PA so within the Next 48 Hours he will be the DC for the Eagles. I'm actually not Upset at All now just need to see Who We Hire.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:05 pm

61finfan wrote:Canmpy is from my hometown so I'm rooting for that big time.  His family is famous in this neck of the woods

LMAO.....there is nothing "woodsy" about his voice. He is straight street!!!!!!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:06 pm

finskev wrote:This was a One Year Money Grab and His Family is from PA so within the Next 48 Hours he will be the DC for the Eagles. I'm actually not Upset at All now just need to see Who We Hire.

Hope he take Hill with him too(Reynaldo that is).

Pass defense coordinator sucked ass
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:47 pm

Florio from PFT says the Fins let Fangio out of His Contract so He could be Closer to Home.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 61finfan Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:01 pm

Umix10 wrote:
61finfan wrote:Canmpy is from my hometown so I'm rooting for that big time.  His family is famous in this neck of the woods

LMAO.....there is nothing "woodsy" about his voice. He is straight street!!!!!!

We swear an awful lot in Jersey

61finfan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:34 pm

Say what you want about Fangio, but from the 8th game to the 15th the Fins allowed fewer points than any other team. That's nearly half the season. The system just needed some time for the players to adjust and then it sure did seem like it was working to me. Only when half the starters got hurt did we see slippage, and even then this D held the Chiefs to fewer points and TDs on the road than the mighty Bills did at home.

https://stathead.com/tiny/7qeni

Even going back to the 4th game the D is still #4 in points allowed during that stretch.

https://stathead.com/tiny/2hCLd

This is gong to be a far bigger loss than people realize. Just look at this thread and how nobody has any idea who will replace Fangio and is just tossing out random names. And if you don't think this will affect Wilkins and other impending FAs and make them want to leave then IDK what to tell you. This pretty much seals the '24 team's fate when THIS season's not even officially over yet.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:43 pm

He definitely went to bend-but-don't-break in the final two games, but that was with a bare cupboard so understandable. Boyer on the other hand did this as his default option.

I agree that Campanile is a fine in-house candidate.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:37 am

With what we had at the end of the year, Fangio was a miracle worker!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:17 am

So now I'm being told some players are HAPPY about this--and expressing it by whining on social media or even worse, having someone else do their whining for them. Javon Holland's DAD??? Really??? Some of us have been mocking the Cowboys for this exact same thing, and now this team's doing it! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

We'll see who was actually happy, and who was just being a hypocrite, soon enough when certain players decide to leave or stay.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:11 am

Ramsey wasn't Happy about not being able to follow the other teams best Wr, Smith didn't Play and then Holland not sure what he was upset about but those are 3 from secondary, Who seem to be Happy with his departure.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am

finskev wrote:Florio from PFT says the Fins let Fangio out of His Contract so He could be Closer to Home.  

So he just used the Dolphins to get a quick money grab while he waited for the Eagles job to open. Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:07 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Say what you want about Fangio, but from the 8th game to the 15th the Fins allowed fewer points than any other team. That's nearly half the season. The system just needed some time for the players to adjust and then it sure did seem like it was working to me. Only when half the starters got hurt did we see slippage, and even then this D held the Chiefs to fewer points and TDs on the road than the mighty Bills did at home.

https://stathead.com/tiny/7qeni

Even going back to the 4th game the D is still #4 in points allowed during that stretch.

https://stathead.com/tiny/2hCLd

This is gong to be a far bigger loss than people realize. Just look at this thread and how nobody has any idea who will replace Fangio and is just tossing out random names. And if you don't think this will affect Wilkins and other impending FAs and make them want to leave then IDK what to tell you. This pretty much seals the '24 team's fate when THIS season's not even officially over yet.  

Like I said, this was a bend-don't-break defense, and it broke too often.

People shit all over McD because his offense struggled against good teams. Well, the same can be said for Fangio's defense but he doesn't get nearly as much crap for it. The D was excellent against the Chiefs in Germany - but they gave up 34 to the Chargers (not even a good team), 48 to the Bills, 31 to the Eagles, 28 to the Titans (another bad team), 56 (!!!) to the Ravens, and then 26 to a Chiefs team that averaged 22 points a game on the season. Sure, injuries played a role in some of those games - just like with the offense.

But the bottom line is, this defense was not good when we needed it. Not using Ramsey to cover the opponent's best receiver was, by itself, a fireable offense. Not using our 2nd round pick when Howard was out was also a fireable offense - especially when he continued to use Kohou and Apple on the boundary when it was clear that they both sucked. And nothing was worse than the absolutely pathetic defense he ran against the Titans in the 4th quarter - that was nothing short of negligent. And I'm not even going to get into the defensive scheme against the Ravens, which seemed to consist of leaving receivers wide open. Sure, there were some good moments during the season - the shutout of the piss-poor Jets was a thing of beauty - but overall, this defense can only be considered a failure. We were supposed to get an all-time great defensive coordinator - instead we got a washed up, disinterested coach whose defense allowed just 8 points fewer that Boyer - who was chased out of town by an angry mob with pitchforks and torches.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next