The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2023 NFL Combine thoughts

3 posters

Go down

2023 NFL Combine thoughts Empty 2023 NFL Combine thoughts

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:29 am

Oh well...

In some early mocks I did, GA Edge LB Nolan Smith dropped to the Phins at #51, but he had been rising up the draft board rankings of late.

I suspect his performance at the combine might have propelled him into the late 1st round.

Also, Calijah Kancey was ranked as a 1st rounder, but he was sometimes available at #51. No Longer. Anyone being compared to Aaron Donal is going to get snapped up quickly IMO.

Another LB that you used to be able to get in the 3rd round with the Phins second pick was Jack Campbell. He might be an early second rounder now. Maybe even sneak into the 1st round.

One Byron Young flashed and the other crashed. Byron Young from Tenn showed out with a 4.43 40 time and Byron Young from Bama looked too upright, stiff and slow in the drills.

You used to be able to get Byron Young from Tenn late in the draft. That ain't happening now.

LB Owen Pappoe from Auburn showed his speed and Edge Derrick Hall impressed with size and speed. The Phins might have a shot at Pappoe, but I suspect Hall is going to go higher than #51.

One guy who I was looking at for the Phins at LB, Drew Sanders, sort of stunk it up.

Anyway, as some of these combine warriors rise, that means some of the others will drop.

But dang... The Phins really need one of these difference making LBs IMO. A Nolan Smith, Trenton Simpson Jack Campbell sort.

I suspect Grier will sign some of his own free agent LBs to go along with Tindall and Goode and call that good enough. But who knows?
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 NFL Combine thoughts Empty Re: 2023 NFL Combine thoughts

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:55 pm

TWO Byron Youngs?!?! This cannot be allowed, I say! The world's too confusingly absurd as it is, dagnabit!

Jack Campbell's someone I frequently take in my many mocks. Pappoe's a shrimp, though. He's basically the LB version of Pat White.

Not sure how Grier's going to sign anybody if he doesn't make some moves. I keep seeing that half the teams are cutting players left and right while the Fins...do nothing.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:41 am

I am hearing a hopefully totally unfounded rumor that the Phins are really interested in Lamar Jackson???

I can remember Ross advocating for drafting Jackson, so...

I hope it is just nonsense, but with Dipshiite Ross as owner, who knows?

Well, old Anthony Richardson showed out. I knew he would. he is an athletic freak, but I  think he will need LOTS of time to develop into an NFL QB if he ever does.

If the Phins don't come out of this draft with a TE, they should fire everyone who has anything to do with the draft, because there are a plethora of very good to great prospects at TE in this draft.  

I don't think they even let that giant TE Gindorff from So Dakota (IIRC) go to the combine?  HE would probably run a 5.5 40 yard dash.

Also, Alex Austin DB from Oregon State (??) is rising up the draft rankings. I see why? His frame and all looks like Sauce Gardener!!

Some of the safeties I was looking at stunk it up sorta/kinda. At least in the 40 times.

But yeah, we ain't gonna know if Ross is scroogieing the Phins again until free agency starts IMO.

Rolling Eyes   Embarassed    Evil or Very Mad
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:16 pm

BTW I was still able to snag Campbell in my latest PFF mock, even after trading down from 52 to 67 Shocked This LB class is apparently so low-rated as a whole that even the combine might not be able to prop up most of them. The only off-ball LB who for sure is going before pick 52 is Daiyan Henley IMO.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:18 am

Ohio State RT Dawand Jones is really intriguing. On the one hand, he seems way too big - WAY too big - to fit in this offensive scheme. On the other hand, he moved pretty well in all the Combine drills, and if you watch tape of him he regularly pulled in college. He's a tank and it's almost impossible to get passed him, and he pushes defenders around like ragdolls in the run game. I'm not sure if he is on the Dolphins' radar at all, but I think I'd strongly consider him at 51.

I'm still watching the NFLN OL Combine coverage, but here are some of the other OL in group one that impressed me that will be available for the Phins:
Blake Freeland, BYU
Steve Avila, TCU
Jovaughn Gwyn, South Carolina
Anton Harrison, Oklahoma
Earl Bostick, Kansas
Anthony Bradford, LSU

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down