The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine

+4
JMP
finfanatic
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine Empty Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine

Post by HalCHorn Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:03 pm

So this will NOT be Grier style, I will be looking to get depth, depth, depth for a team that is in real need of it.

Traded 21 to ATL, which apparently really wants Jayden Daniels. I'm tempted to take him myself, mind you. But I got 43, 74, 79 and 110 to move down.

Cincy now wants 43, gives me 49 and 80 for it. Despite the two Robinsons being there, I take it.

SF wants 49, so I take 63, 94 and 176 for it. Haven't picked yet but we now have 12 picks with 6 between 63 and 94. Just where I want to be.

BAL wants 53, I take 62, 93 and 164 for it. Okay, enough trading down for now, time to make some picks.

62. Christian Haynes, G, UCONN - I bet we get something out of this pick right away.

KC offers 158 and a 4th next year to move up one spot. Hey, it's your dime, pal.

64. Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale -- See, with plenty of picks you can take a few boom or bust chances.

74. Brandon Dorlus, DT, Oregon -- Should fit the new scheme nicely.

79. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami -- Maybe not our biggest need, but he should fit the new scheme also.

SEA offered 151 to move up one spot, in return 239 sent to them.

81. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., LB, Clemson - one of our biggest needs

93 and 199 to Rams for 100, 153, 154

94. Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri -- hey, at least I waited a while to take one!

100 to HOU for 124 and 128

110. Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame -- has the size that Abrams-Draine lacks, could well outplay this projection in the NFL.

124. Nelson Caesar, EDGE, Houston

128. Grayson Murphy, EDGE, UCLA -- still not understanding why one twin gets a combine invite, the other doesn't. I'll gamble.

151 to DAL for 173 and a 6th and 7th next year.

153. Walter Rouse, OT, Oklahoma -- Guyton gets all the attention, but Rouse is not a bad prospect

154. Jalen Sundell, OT/C North Dakota State - multi-positional flexibility

155. Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina

158. Tyler Davis, DT, Clemson

164. Dallen Holker, TE, Colorado

173. Luke McCaffery, WR, Rice

176. Jordan Jefferson, DT, LSU

186. Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State

There. I just brought in 17 rookies. I defy them to not get anything out of this draft class!

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine Empty Re: Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:46 pm

You are the master, Hal cheers cheers cheers I could never be lucky enough to trade down that many times and still somehow have the likes of Cedric Gray fall to me at 155 Shocked Shocked Shocked

You seriously need to find a way to infltrate the draft room somehow. Yes, I'm serious.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine Empty Re: Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:53 am

TWO CBs!!! You scalawag, you, Hal!!

IN the SEC, teams learned not to even throw towards Draine if your QB was not super good.

I like Hart but I don't understand why he is rated so much lower than other CBs? Does he have bad tape or something else? Injury problems?

TWO DTs. Tyler Davis is going to be very solid at the very least IMO. And again, how/why is Jordan Jefferson dropping so much? He was a key DLineman for LSU?

AT EDGE... With Weaver in house... I suspect this is the type of DLineman he is going to want. Dorlus early started rising on the boards and is dropping it seems? I like Caeser but I am more inclined towards Ole Miss's DL/Edge Cedric Johnson. I think he can play nearly everywhere on the DLine. Yeah, the whole thing with the Murphy Twins seems bizarre.

OLine - Haynes is a physical OG or OC I am hearing. That Yale OT... I agree... will either be boom or bust.

LB - It will be very interesting to see what Miami does at LB. I suspect in free agency and not so much the draft, but who knows? T'Was I Weaver, I might be pounding the table for a Trotter or some other LB. I like Hopper out of Mizzou, and I have been looking at this Notre Dame's Bertrand later in the draft? Trevin Wallace out of Kentucky seems to be getting some buzz after the Sr bowl too.

Just a note: Take a look at (LB) Jontrey Hunter out of GA State. He's kinda sort of a tweener between S and LB, but they said the same thing about Owusu-Koramoah too. Now, this guy ain't in that league for sure, but if Weaver thinks he can use a versatile coverage LB and as a tool to move around....
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:16 am

I'd expect Cam Hart and Jordan Jefferson to go much, much higher in reality, but this is a killer draft....even if it is never gonna happen! LOL

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:38 am

JMP wrote:....even if it is never gonna happen!  LOL  

yea, i admire the wheeling and dealing, but as soon as i read Jayden Daniels at 21 - i kind of figured we were on the cusp of leaving what might be realistically be possible.  cyclops

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:26 pm

If you think Hal's draft folded, spindled and mutilated the laws of reality, time and space then have a look at THIS.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2024/user-mock-2257479

Yup, Caleb Williams falls all the way to 22 Shocked where he gets taken by...the Eagles Shocked Shocked

I *had* to take Bowers at 21, other needs be damned. He's the only player I'd make that exception for, and I still got an edge rusher and interior O-lineman later on anyway (with both those picks getting an A+ grade) as well as that Jontrey Hunter guy FF seems to be enamored with all of a sudden Cool

EDIT: Holy guacamole, Bowers fell to me at 21 AGAIN!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked I like this mock better than the first, and I think FF in particular will as well Cool

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2024/user-mock-2257645

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:39 pm

Okay, last one for now. Ravens offered me a MEGA-trade I couldn't resist--and the only one I felt I really had to make. Oh, and I got Bowers at 21 again. Something weird is going on with this site scratch Laughing Got both Murphy brothers too.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2024/user-mock-2258322

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:48 am

Great drafts, DF316.

On Jontrey Hunter - I just like that he has played safety and can cover... supposedly... and the Phins could probably get him with a lower round pick. I have had my share of "Great College" LBs who I just knew were going to be great in the NFL and they can't even make it through training camp! So apparently my LB evaluation talents are as good as my other evaluation talents! Very Happy

Yeah, sometimes on that site, they seem to put NEEDS way above value for the pick IMO. I look at their suggestions, but then I "pull a Grier" and draft whichever player had the coolest looking helmet in college!! Twisted Evil Laughing

Just kidding all you Grier supporters. I wish Grier's draft ranking system WERE something sensible like that!!

I kidd... I keed... Laughing

I have been thinking and it seems likely that the direction the Phins go is going be determined by if they think Eichenberg is a starter at either OG or OC? If they feel Eich is just as good (or just as bad) at OG or OC, then whichever free agent they can sign or re-sign might determine which way they go with Oline in the draft. IF...IF Grier goes Oline in the draft I mean? No

After seeing what Eich has displayed, I think he might be best a backup and even then... He ain't pissoir poor, but he meets the bare minimum to be elligible to play in the NFL IMHO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:19 am

Bowers at 21 would be a dream come true. Javon Foster at 157 would be one of the steals of
the draft!

As far as Eich - he can be a very valuable interior backup, but he should NOT be starting anywhere other than spot duty as needed. I do fear that the Phins will make him a starter because he is a hard worker and willing to do whatever is asked of him...but while he's definitely a pro and a team player, he's just not very good.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:42 am

Check out this far out draft.

I was looking for picks in next years draft and teams just kept coughing up 1st rounders!

Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine Screen30

I would think even Grier could do something with three 1st and three 2nds in 2025!!!

Not only that, but I think the draft pick have some real potential.

I did not get the DT or the OT I was looking to get, but this draft has (the potential at least)
to fix some of the team's problems. And sets the Phins up for next year VERY WELL!

Never happen in real life, but... it is nice to contemplate.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:43 am

Best draft ever, FF! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:14 pm

The more I ponder on this draft, the more I am finding that I agree with Hal and some others: that the 3rd and 4th round is going to be the sweet spot.

I am all in favor of getting IMPACT, but this might be the crucial time to trade down and get a 3rd and 4th even if it means giving up on a big time 1st rounder.

The Phins need to come out of this draft with at least two players who make a big impact on the team and will play for at least four years on their rookie deal to help ameliorate the cap problems the team has.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:08 pm

It's both exhilirating and depressing that pretty much all of us can draft circles around Grier, and we already know going in that he won't be taking a single one of the players we know will be at least good.

I say "pretty much" because Jmp has been suspiciously absent from showing mocks *he's* done, hmmm scratch

I am completely and totally serious when I say we need to find a way to take over the Fins' draft room and literally do the real thing ourselves. The real-time debates between us alone would be a ratings bonanza! Laughing cheers And after we produced the best draft for this team in years if not decades while at least doubling the number of picks there wouldn't be a judge in south Florida who'd DARE convict us. Again, being totally serious. Even if I was wrong, NFL Network would gladly spring for our bail money and maybe even pay the legal costs for doing them a solid Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:12 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Jmp has been suspiciously absent from showing mocks *he's* done, hmmm scratch

I actually don't use any of the mock draft sites. I just do my own thing. I haven't done any real thinking about mocks yet, but there are definitely a few players that I really really like fro the Dolphins. I'm sure I'll have a Dolphins mock up some time after the Combine. And I don't predict trades - even though I do expect the Phins to trade down.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:25 am

Ok, time for a PFF mock pre combine Captur10

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:53 am

Nice one, DF.

I keep hearing/reading that TE Wiley's blocking skills are suspect?

I am leaning more towards Ben Sinnott or Theo Johnson, but either are probably gonna need a 3rd and/or 4th round pick. Also, one guy who seems to be in between Bowers, Sanders, and the others is OSU's Cade Stover?

And later, that Holker guy is intriguing.

One guy who is now on the radar is Indiana's Tip Reiman at 6'5" and 271 lbs but with some quickness. I heard somebody say "You don't want to say Gronk-like, but..."

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:05 am

Ben Sinnott is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Would love to see him on the Phins.

And that's a KILLER draft, 316!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:30 am

Finfanatic and Dolfan putting some awesome mocks out there, I'll try to step up my game this time. In a realistic way. Ended up with 11 picks.

21 and 199 to AZ for 27 and 71
27 to SF for 31, 94, 132
31 to LAV for 44, 77, 147

44. Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona
53. Chop Robinson, EDGE (yeah, no way he falls to 53)
71. Austin Booker, EDGE
77. Junior Colsom, LB
94. Sedrick Van Pran, C
132. Cooper Beebe, G
147 to DET for 163, 207
155. Javon Foster, T
163. Cedric Gray, LB (for some reason PFF doesn't rate him highly)
186. Ryan Watts, CB
207. Omar Brown, S
239. Evan Anderson, DT

Can't get DT and S addressed quite like I'd like but both sides of the LOS seem fortified.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:32 am

HalCHorn wrote:Finfanatic and Dolfan putting some awesome mocks out there, I'll try to step up my game this time.  In a realistic way.  Ended up with 11 picks.

27 to SF for 31, 94, 132

53. Chop Robinson, EDGE  (yeah, no way he falls to 53)
71. Austin Booker, EDGE
77. Junior Colsom, LB
94. Sedrick Van Pran, C
132. Cooper Beebe, G
147 to DET for 163, 207
155. Javon Foster, T
186. Ryan Watts, CB
207. Omar Brown, S
239. Evan Anderson, DT

Can't get DT and S addressed quite like I'd like but both sides of the LOS seem fortified.

Nice, Hal! You got several of my favorites: Van Pran, Foster and Gray!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:54 am

Nice Hal.

Cooper Beebe did very well at the combine.

Booker at Edge is a work in progress. I keep hearing that if he had stayed in school one more year and came out next year, he might have been a 1st rounder. But he definitely seems to have the potential for a huge upside.

I like Foster at OT and Morgan has that nimble feet zone blocking thing down to a science.

I am hoping Grier trades down for picks, but it seems likely that he is going to want to ensure he gets a starter at whatever position he is picking, which means he will likely stand pat. But who knows?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:59 pm

finfanatic wrote:Nice one, DF.

I keep hearing/reading that TE Wiley's blocking skills are suspect?

That's odd because I was told the exact opposite, which is why I keep taking him scratch

At any rate, he's 6'7" and the Fins were the only team last season without a single scoring reception from the TE position. See where I'm going with this? Twisted Evil

BTW it was you who inspired me to finally learn how to do a screenshot after never having done so before cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:02 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Finfanatic and Dolfan putting some awesome mocks out there, I'll try to step up my game this time.  In a realistic way.  Ended up with 11 picks.

27 to SF for 31, 94, 132

53. Chop Robinson, EDGE  (yeah, no way he falls to 53)
71. Austin Booker, EDGE
77. Junior Colsom, LB
94. Sedrick Van Pran, C
132. Cooper Beebe, G
147 to DET for 163, 207
155. Javon Foster, T
186. Ryan Watts, CB
207. Omar Brown, S
239. Evan Anderson, DT

It was YOU who inspired me to step up MY game, actually. cheers I'm just trying to get into the same universe as your level Laughing Laughing Laughing

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:47 am

Well, the thread title says "pre Combine", but here is my first Dolphins mock post-Combine (without trades). Note: I expect the Dolphins to handle OL in free agency.

Round 1, Pick 21 – EDGE Chop Robinson, Penn State – Day 1 starter with excellent speed and athleticism.

Round 2, Pick 55 – WR Roman Wilson, Michigan – Outstanding blocker who possesses great hands, speed and run after catch ability. McD is going to love this guy.

Round 5, Pick 157 –- LB Cedric Gray, UNC – Great athlete, strong tackler with some pass rush ability and also pretty good in coverage.  Is he instinctual enough?

Round 6, Pick 186 – DT Jordan Jefferson, LSU – Strong and athletic. Nice rotation piece who could develop in time.

Round 6, Pick 200 - RB Dylan Laube, University of New Hampshire – Possibly the best receiving
back in this class.  Great route runner and would add a new dimension to the Dolphin offense from the RB position.

Round 7, Pick 239 - OG Matthew Jones, Ohio State – Nice project with upside.  Definitely raw.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:02 pm

Nice one, JMP.

On Chop Robinson - Does he have the size to play that Ravens/Weaver DE? Otherwise I suspect he will be a great DE.

DF316 - On Jared Wiley - He has a 62% blocking grade on Draft Buzz. Here is the quote from weaknesses on Last Word...

Weaknesses

Despite his size, Jared Wiley is a negative in the blocking area. He has good playing strength and needs to build his blocking technique from the ground up;
Lateral agility is a concern for Wiley. Big is too big sometimes, and that will limit his ability as a route runner. He will need to be used vertically, thus limiting his potential impact;
Disappointing yards after the catch threat;
Poor route tree exposure;
He must test well to convince a team to take a shot on his vertical prowess. He’s a vertical in-line tight end who could be a more complete player;
Vs. 2024 Draft Tight Ends: Yards After the Catch: 6.4 (9th), Career Yards per Reception: 11.2 (15th), Yards per Route Run: 6.4 (9th), Yards Per Team Pass Attempt: 1.15 (11th)
NFL Comparison: Colby Fleener

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2024/02/02/jared-wiley-2024-nfl-draft-profile/#:~:text=Jared%20Wiley%20is%20a%202023,for%2011.2%20yards%20per%20catch.

SI has this:
Wiley’s skill set best positions him as a Y tight end at the pro level, aligning slightly flexed away from the tackle.

He can catch passes for sure, and who knows if he is a great blocker or not? All these scouts HAVE TO HAVE something in as a weakness it seems.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:06 pm

finfanatic wrote:Nice one, JMP.

On Chop Robinson - Does he have the size to play that Ravens/Weaver DE? Otherwise I suspect he will be a great DE.

Thanks!

I am projecting Chop as an OLB/edge rusher - not a DE. Definitely too small for a DE in this system, at least when we play 3-4. I think he has the athleticism to play OLB, and he can be a pass rush specialist while he works on his more general LB skills.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next