The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade for a running back?

+3
finfanatic
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trade for a running back? Empty Trade for a running back?

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 am

Word on the street is that Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook and Austin Ekeler could all be on the trade block. The Dolphins have cap issues and don't have a lot of draft picks, but clearly the team is "all in" and not afraid to make big moves. They also have no starting RB at the moment.

While RB has been devalued and finding a good/great starter in the draft seems easier than ever, these three players are all fantastic. Of the three, Ekeler would by far be my top choice because he is a TD machine and the best receiver of the bunch. But I'd be happy with any of them.

While I would usually hate the idea of trading for a RB, if the price is right I think I'd jump at the opportunity to grab one of these guys and take this offense to an even higher level.

What do you guys think???

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Trade for a running back? Empty Re: Trade for a running back?

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:23 am

Trading for a RB with such a deep FA and draft class would be a really stupid move, and completely erase any goodwill towards Grier I have from the Ramsey trade. Also, just because they cleared some cap space doesn't mean they suddenly have the moon, sun, and stars to spend on guys willy-nilly.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Trading for a RB with such a deep FA and draft class would be a really stupid move, and completely erase any goodwill towards Grier I have from the Ramsey trade. Also, just because they cleared some cap space doesn't mean they suddenly have the moon, sun, and stars to spend on guys willy-nilly.

I knew that would be your response! LOL

I don't think it would be a stupid move at all - depending, of course, on the details of the trade. While there are some good RBs in this class, I don't see anyone, aside from Bijan Robinson and maybe Jahmyr Gibbs, that has the potential to be a game-changing star like Henry/Cook/Ekeler. I don't think we have a shot at Robinson or Gibbs, so I'd be OK trading for a stud back - at the right price.

Honestly, I don't really see a RB trade happening, but I think it's a real interesting topic. I think the argument can be made that with a top-of-the-line running game, this Dolphins offense could be top 3 instead of top 10.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:46 am

Here's the thing though--only the Bucs ran the ball less than this team last season. Even the Bengals and Bills did it more despite playing one fewer game Shocked And Bills fans think THEIR team doesn't run nearly often enough!

So the question becomes, did they refuse to run due to McDaniel not thinking he had the talent despite bringing in two of "his" guys, or is it just his philosophy not to run that much? If it's the latter then no trade for a RB will make any sense.

I'd like the offense to be more balanced as well, but it's not up to us. If McDaniel simply won't call enough runs then it doesn't matter who's back there.

And then you have to factor in Grier's minimalist approach to the position. In his time as GM the highest he's drafted a RB was the 3rd round--once. For three straight drafts he went RB in the 7th. He's never tried to sign anybody close to a big name at the position since 2016 either.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 am

Yeah, one of the deals I heard of was for Henry, but the Titans were asking for a King's ransom of him. They just CALL HIM King Henry, he ain't a real King!!!

I was hopeful EVEN CHRIS GRIER was not stupid enough to fall for that, but... If Henry was 26 ... maybe... at 29.... no way.

Getting a proven RB in a good deal would be okay, but as DF316 says, the Phins ain't loaded with picks, their cap situation is not great, this draft looks like it has good to maybe great RBs scattered all throughout each round, and the Phins can bring back Mostert and/or Wilson WITHOUT having to give up picks in a trade.

That said, IF they are going to make a deal, it should be for Ekeler. He fits McDs offense IMO. Then Cook, then Henry.

EKeler and Cook are both 27 while Henry is 29.

I keep hearing 30 is the cutoff for an NFL RB, so...

My druthers would be
A) Sign Mostert or Wilson - Get Achane or Spears in the draft or maybe even Vaughn as a KR/PR/change of pace back
b) Draft Achane or Spears and then bring in some undrafted (bigger) rookie RBs to fill out the RB position or even a journeyman RB or two
C) Go for one of the big name RBs early on in the draft (I think this is unlikely, but we haven't seen Grier draft for McD much)
D) Trade for a big name RB

Who knows? Like I said about the rumored deals, the Ramsey trade was the LEAST OBJECTIONABLE I Heard of IMO.

Grier still has time to dig up his long deceased and much abused rotten corpse of a pooch and...

I guess we will see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:57 am

Also let's not forget that Ekeler himself was undrafted. Who's to say there isn't a RB entering the league this year that can't produce similar results, and would be much cheaper, especially if he was also undrafted?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 am

I don't read too much into the Phins running attempts last season. Looking back, I think it was a combo of OL injuries, RB injuries and lack of offensive possessions.

My ideal plan would be to re-sign Mostert,and maybe even Wilson, and draft Spears. But at the right price...sure, I'd welcome a guy like Dalvin Cook.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:07 am

JMP wrote:I don't read too much into the Phins running attempts last season.  Looking back, I think it was a combo of OL injuries, RB injuries and lack of offensive possessions.

My ideal plan would be to re-sign Mostert,and maybe even Wilson, and draft Spears.  But at the right price...sure, I'd welcome a guy like Dalvin Cook.

We do know the D gave up lots of really long late game drives, and the Fins were just 27th in offensive plays run. But RB injuries really weren't a factor. If it was then Gaskin and Ahmed would've gotten way more than a paltry 22 carries between them. In fact by his standards Mostert was practically the picture of health, missing just one game completely and waiting all the way until the final game regular season game to get hurt again.

Speaking of Mostert I would pass on re-signing a now almost 31-year old injury prone RB who's guaranteed to lose at least some of his speed next season. I'd much rather have someone else, oh for example, Devin Singletary instead. Or Myles Sanders, he would work too. But Singletary's my top choice.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:12 am

Mostert was banged up a bit late and lost his starting job to Wilson, and then Wilson got hurt. And then of course Mostert missed the last two games. Injuries at the position weren't devastating, but definitely played a role IMO.

But yeah, I think the low number of offensive plays, combined with the OL injuries, was the biggest factor.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:31 am

NBC Sports Edge wrote:The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports the Dolphins are "monitoring" Dalvin Cook's potential availability.

The all-in Dolphins are among the teams keeping tabs on whether the Vikings are willing to part with Cook, who has three years left on his contract and is due to make $10.4 million in 2023. ESPN last week reported multiple NFL teams have engaged in trade talks for Cook. Minnesota reportedly wants to re-sign Alexander Mattison, who would be the presumed starter if Cook is dealt in the coming days or weeks. Cook in 2022 recorded his lowest yards per carry of his six-year career.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter
Mar 14, 2023, 10:26 AM ET

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:34 am

NOOOOOOO!!! DON'T DO IT GRIER!!! I'M BEGGING YOU!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:38 am

Barry Jackson also said that the Vikes are expected to keep Cook...so I guess he's covering his ass for any outcome! LOL

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:46 am

Speaking of Mostert I would pass on re-signing a now almost 31-year old injury prone RB who's guaranteed to lose at least some of his speed next season. I'd much rather have someone else, oh for example, Devin Singletary instead. Or Myles Sanders, he would work too. But Singletary's my top choice.

Give me Singletary, and bring back Wilson.

I don't think either one of them is getting a mega $$$ deal. Use our draft picks and cap space where they can do more good: OL and TE. I wouldn't object to another ILB either.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:15 am

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Dolphins and RB Raheem Mostert reached agreement today on a two-year deal, per his agent @TesslerSports.

Supposedly 2 years, $7.6 million. Excellent!!! cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:15 am

all this would depend on compensation, but i can't see the logic in giving up more than a 5th rounder (at most) for any RB on the backside of his career (more than 5 years in the league for well-used RBs).

i love Henry and his smash mouth style, but that's just not how the Phins are built with their stretch zone blocking.

Cook has completed a full season only once in his 6 year career. he's amazing when healthy, but his number are also beginning to trend downward. since his highwater mark in 2020 both his yards per carry and per game have dropped each year (and this with the emergence of a stud receiving threat of Jefferson). Also, Cook only catches less than 3 passes per game.

Eckler is another one that maybe 3 years ago i would've been interested, but i think he is definitely on the backside. he's never broke a 1,000 yards and can be inconsistent. this past season he only broke 100 yards twice and had 9 sub 40 yard games. he is a bit of better receiving threat, but i am not convinced he can be the bell-cow at this point in his career.

i'm definitely down with drafting a young zone, one-cut-and-go runner in the draft.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:21 am

JMP wrote:
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Dolphins and RB Raheem Mostert reached agreement today on a two-year deal, per his agent @TesslerSports.

Supposedly 2 years, $7.6 million.  Excellent!!!  cheers

I agree, excellent news.

I would have PROBABLY preferred Wilson, but there was not a smidge worth of difference in my preference!!

Would the Phins maybe re-sign Wilson too?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 am

More on Cook:

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Per source, Dolphins - after initial inquiries with Vikings - were not anticipating trade for Dalvin Cook, at least as of AM. That could change if Vikings decide to do something with him; Fins appreciate his skills... As for now, search continues for a back to pair with Mostert.
11:22 AM · Mar 14, 2023

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:36 am

Re-signing Mostert tells me they dropped out of the Cook sweepstakes.

I feel the same way about that move BTW as Jmp feels about the White signing. I've actually had a feeling for weeks that Grier and McDaniel would simply get the RB band back together. Two down, two to go. If this actually happens (or even 3 of 4 return) that'll tell me once and for all that Grier values the RB position less than almost every other GM in the league.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:02 pm

Id rather not make a trade for a RB. We need to start replenishing draft picks at this point. No RB is going to have a Ramsay-like impact. No, not even a 30 year old Henry.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Re-signing Mostert tells me they dropped out of the Cook sweepstakes.

I feel the same way about that move BTW as Jmp feels about the White signing. I've actually had a feeling for weeks that Grier and McDaniel would simply get the RB band back together. Two down, two to go. If this actually happens (or even 3 of 4 return) that'll tell me once and for all that Grier values the RB position less than almost every other GM in the league.

Well heck, if you have Hill and Waddle and Ezukanma and maybe TE Washington next year, why do you need a RB at all? Unless it is to catch a pass or three?

No, if they fix the Oline, watch McD call more runs IMO. That outside zone blocking run sets up everything in the Shanahan System. And when it is working, it forces the D to shift to stop it and that means the offensive floodgates have opened!!!

They just have to stop that penetration right in the Guard holes... Shocked Laughing I mean Number 1 and 3 holes on the left and 2 and 4 holes on the right.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:08 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

I feel the same way about that move BTW as Jmp feels about the White signing.

Why? Mostert had 891 yards at 4.9 yards per carry this past season. That's better than Devin Singletary, by the way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:34 pm

Jeff Wilson is back! Another cheap 2 year deal. Love it! Now we can draft a back in the later rounds if need be and not have to prioritize the position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:42 pm

JMP wrote:Jeff Wilson is back!  Another cheap 2 year deal.  Love it!  Now we can draft a back in the later rounds if need be and not have to prioritize the position.

Wow...McDaniel really IS getting the RB band back together just like I thought! Shocked Shocked Shocked

You just know Grier is breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to pick one before the 7th round again Laughing Laughing Laughing

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:53 pm

Love it.

Now fix the online and we shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:58 pm

I am totally fine with bringing both back, it's a good pair. You've basically got 1a and 1b and the starter will be decided by matchup against the defense we face.

Like I said. I'd prefer we use the picks and cap space where it will count most. This is the approach I would take at RB as well. Offensive line, linebacker, TE are all more important to the roster IMO.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next