The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins draft visits

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dolphins draft visits Empty Dolphins draft visits

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:53 am

not sure how practical it is to try and track all the prospects they bring in for visits - and some of them maybe smoke screens - but figured we might as well try to keep these in one place.

Miami has already reportedly met with TCU running back Kendre Miller...Dolphins are having Nebraska edge rusher Garrett Nelson and Bowling Green defensive tackle Karl Brooks in for pre-draft visits.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-hosting-two-defensive-players-120006796.html

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dolphins draft visits Empty Re: Dolphins draft visits

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:13 am

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:35 am

Thanks, merc - this is great!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:03 am

Miller has some good stats. I am still leaning towards Spears though.

I don't know much about Nelson, but he seems durable as he has a 32 consecutive starts at Nebraska. Would the Phins really use one of their four picks in this draft for a 6 ft-ish 250 lbs DE when they have Phillips, Chubb, Ogbah, and AVG in the rotation? (Again, Grier isn't necessarily just looking at drafting for THIS YEAR, so... who knows?)

Brooks is a tall DT but I think he could develop into a good NFL DT and maybe provide some rotational help this year. He does seem to have some wiggle too.

Reid is 6'5" and only 297lbs. Runs a 4.9 40 which is blazing at 297lbs!

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:18 am

I could definitely see Miami drafting a DT at some point, or even a big 3-4-type DE that can move to DT when needed.

At RB, Spears and Evan Hull are currently my favorites. There's lots of RBs I like in this class, but those guys have moved to the forefront for me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:25 am

not sure if they have brought him in as part of their limited pre-draft Miami facility visits too, but...

With LSU’s [297-pound DT Jaquelin] Roy, for example, Dolphins officials met with him at the NFL Combine (as they did with many prospects) and again before his Pro Day.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article273144140.html#storylink=mainstage_lead

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:13 pm

USA Today is saying....

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Dolphins are meeting with Texas linebacker DeMarvion Overshown before the selection process.

I like Overshown and think he would make Fangio's job easier, but again... Are the Phins really going to draft a LB when they have signed up the guys they have in free agency?

I was rating Overshown fairly high, but have since moved Pace ahead of him. I still think Lambert would be a great pickup for Miami but they would have to get him at #51 I think. Assuming he falls that far.

Then again, I have seen LBs I think are sure fire late 1st or 2nd rounders end up going in the 4th or 5th, so what do I know?

Laughing

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:00 am

Overshown does seem like a good fit.

The Dolphins still need a few LBs to fill out the roster, so drafting one is likely. But LB is a tricky position...it seems like a hard position to project at the next level. There's always a couple I love in the draft every year - and most of them are never heard from again! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:45 pm

USA Today is saying the Phins met with Grand Valley State offensive tackle Quinton Barrow at his team’s pro day. Barrow stands at 6-foot-6 and is 317 pounds.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:44 am

Many of the players auditioning Friday for the Dolphins will be fringe NFL prospects who are likely to go undrafted and will be seeking a rookie mini-camp invitation

Friday’s group is expected to include UM tight end Will Mallory, offensive linemen DJ Scaife and Justice Oluwaseun and cornerback DJ Ivey, among other Hurricanes.

UM cornerback Tyrique Stevenson, the Canes’ top draft prospect, isn’t planning to attend the Dolphins’ local day

Quarterback Todd Centeio. The former West Palm Beach Dwyer High standout played three years at Temple, two at Colorado State and one at James Madison, finishing with 48 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, including 25 and 5 last year for JMU.

Safety Gurvan Hall. He played four years at UM (and picked off one pass) before transferring to Utah State last season, where he had an interception in eight games.

Defensive lineman/linebacker Kivon Bennett. The former St. Thomas Aquinas standout had 6.5 sacks in 20 games at Tennessee, then had 12.5 sacks in 23 games at Arkansas State the past two years. He’s the son of former Buffalo Bills All-Pro linebacker Cornelius Bennett.

Tight end Daniel Barker. The Deerfield Beach High alum had 21 catches for 239 yards and two touchdowns at Michigan State last season. Before that, he played four years at Illinois, catching 64 passes for 827 yards and 11 TDs.

Offensive lineman Kadeem Telfort. The 6-foot-8 Booker T. Washington alum was UAB’s left tackle last season and was first-team All Conference USA.

Linebacker Vandarius Cowan. The Palm Beach Gardens alum played one year at Alabama (two games appearances), three at West Virginia (38 tackles and four sacks there) and last season had 13 tackles in eight games for Maryland.

Defensive back Datrone Young. The Delray Beach Atlantic grad had an interception and seven passes defended in four years at Iowa State, then had an interception and seven passes defended in one year at Duke.

Guard Grant Miller. The former St. Thomas Aquinas standout was rated by Pro Football Focus as the fourth-best guard in the Big 12 last season and 60th best among all FBS guards. He was named All Big 12 by Pro Football Network.

Safety Marquis Waters. The Delray Beach Atlantic grad had three interceptions and 16 passes defended in four years at Duke, then had two interceptions in two seasons at Texas Tech. His 13 tackles for loss were fifth in the Big 12 last season - impressive for a safety. He has 27 career tackles for loss.

Southeast Missouri receiver Johnny King. The former Boyd Anderson standout had 69 catches for 797 yards and six touchdowns last season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article273790690.html

perhaps an hidden UDFA gem or two somewhere in there.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:41 am

Howard wide receiver Antoine Murray. The former Miramar High standout led the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference with 40 receptions last season and finished with 615 receiving yards and four touchdowns. He was an All-MEAC first team selection.

Holy Cross cornerback John Smith. The Lake Worth Park Vista High alum had 12 pass breakups last season and intercepted a pass in an FCS quarterfinal playoff game against New Hampshire. He was first-team All Patriot League the past three years.

Mississippi State defensive end Randy Charlton. The Miami Southridge High alum had four sacks each of the past two years for the Bulldogs - and 12 tackles for loss last season - after transferring from UCF, where he had four sacks in 26 games over three seasons.

Richmond receiver Leroy Henley. The 6-2 Henley - who played at both Cardinal Gibbons in Fort Lauderdale and Deerfield Beach High - was second in the Colonial Athletic Conference with 73 receptions last season, for 832 yards and 10 touchdowns. He spent his first three years at East Carolina.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article274010890.html

and i found this interesting...

The Dolphins have conveyed to at least a couple of offensive linemen that if they go undrafted, the team will be calling them and that they have a specific vision for them. One left guard who’s expected to go undrafted was given the team’s exact vision, which included being given a chance to compete for a starting job.

the fact that they realize they need competition at LG is a good thing. whether or not the best way to find it is in the UDFA market is debatable. but with only 4 current drafts, i guess there is only so much that can be done - and there will hopefully be that veteran FA cut market in the summer.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:44 am

oh, and i guess on one hand you could argue that the Phins have had some success with UDFAs in the past. however, you could also say of course the UDFA will get a (generic) chance to compete - everyone will...why else would they be there.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:08 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

The Dolphins have conveyed to at least a couple of offensive linemen that if they go undrafted, the team will be calling them and that they have a specific vision for them. One left guard who’s expected to go undrafted was given the team’s exact vision, which included being given a chance to compete for a starting job.

the fact that they realize they need competition at LG is a good thing.  whether or not the best way to find it is in the UDFA market is debatable.  but with only 4 current drafts, i guess there is only so much that can be done - and there will hopefully be that veteran FA cut market in the summer.

Yeah, with the insane money that FA OL got this offseason, combined with a lack of draft picks, I do think the "undrafted OL competing to start" line has some merit. I agree that it may not be the best plan, and an undrafted OL becoming a year one starter is highly unlikely, but when you have limited resources there's only so much you can do.

BUT...

I also think this shines some light on the Dolphins draft process. This tells me that they will not hesitate to draft OL if a player they like is available at any of their picks. I guess we knew that already, but this kinda solidifies that thought IMO. I still believe OL is very much in play with the first pick (wherever it ends up being, because I do think a trade down is very possible).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:18 am

With the draft just two weeks away, the Dolphins are meeting with individual prospects, including Troy defensive tackle Shakel Brown.

At 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds, Brown impressed with his athleticism at his pro day when he ran a 4.82-second 40-yard dash and 33-inch vertical leap, which would’ve been tied for second at the NFL Scouting Combine.

He played three seasons at Troy, recording 59 total tackles (eight for a loss), 4.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-holding-private-workout-troy-130054380.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:29 am

USA Today is reporting the Dolphins are visiting with Tulsa RB Deneric Prince.

USA Today
At the combine, Prince ran a 4.41-second 40-yard dash with a 35.5-foot vertical jump.

While he has the size to be a powerful runner (6-foot and 216 pounds), NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein notes that he doesn’t always run like one due to his decision-making and lack of burst.

PFNs ratings have Prince available at #197 usually.

I also read where the Phins are looking at higher ranked RBs too?

Could this be the year the Phins draft a RB fairly high?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:37 am

While he has the size to be a powerful runner (6-foot and 216 pounds), NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein notes that he doesn’t always run like one due to his decision-making and lack of burst.

That sentence alone makes me want to pass. Reminds me of Daniel Thomas all over again. 6'0" 225 according to PFR and ran like a ballerina.

PFNs ratings have Prince available at #197 usually.

What a coincidence that the Fins have a pick right at that spot scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:02 pm

I like Prince, but if the Phins agree that he "lacks burst" he won't be an option. At RB, McDaniel wants speed, speed and more speed - and that includes "burst".

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:59 pm

i'm not sure how Zierlein came to the conclusion he lacks burst, but see for yourself.

Highlights:

https://youtu.be/kyjuKwZj6fc

and everyone of his plays against USF and Temple

https://youtu.be/tNrcDmCxnuU

https://youtu.be/DeBDAdKOSpw

while he's not perfect (needs more opportunity to show has ability to catch out of backfield and needs to work on lowering his pad level at times), behind an awful Tulsa line (where he very often had to make his own lanes), some of his runs are down right lethal.

burst is certainly something he doesn't lack (and his combine numbers back that up). but hey, don't believe me - grab a beer and enjoy the above.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:48 pm

Yeah, just watching Prince at the Combine and in limited highlights, "burst" and speed in general didn't seem to be an issue - at all. I can't speak to Prince's decision-making, but if he is at all hesitant and/or can't hit the right holes - that could lead someone to think he lacks that burst because he is hesitant and/or spends too much time running into heavily-defended areas.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:26 am

I think Prince is just the type of RB McD likes. He has speed and can make a move and hit the right hole and is gone.

How a dude who runs in the low 4.4 forty lacks burst is beyond me? Short shuttle times maybe?

I am still leaning Spears for the Phins, but... I suspect the word is out on him. I saw somebody had him ranked as the #5 RB in the draft?

Another RB who may be a late pick or go UDFA... Tiyon Evans from Louisville.

Tiyon Evans

He's not as fast as Prince or Spears or Achane, but... 4.52 ain't nothing to sneeze at for a RB who is near 230lbs.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:33 am

Again from USA Today:

...the Dolphins recently hosted Wagner outside linebacker Titus Leo for a pre-draft visit.

In his 38 career games, Leo recorded 234 tackles (40 for a loss), 13 sacks and two forced fumbles.

At 6-foot-4, 243 pounds, the Shrine Bowl participant was named the Northeast Conference’s Defensive Player of the Year in both 2020 and 2021.

Another LB. I wonder if it is Fangio wanting some faster, better, younger... something LBs.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:12 pm

ok, 10 days to go, let's try PFF (first 3 rounds only, I ain't paying for more)

# 51 offers multiple strong possibilities: Stevenson, Musgrave, Wypler, Tippemann, Drew Sanders all available. Gambling on greatness with Drew Sanders at 51.

# 84: CB Clark Phillips III

Would have loved to gone TE or OL but instead Fangio gets new toys.

PFN try. For the sake of having the same jumpoff point, went with Sanders at 51 here too.

# 84 Tucker Kraft, TE. No decent trade down options, went with him over Tippemann. Would have been happy with either.

# 197 Jay Ward, DB LSU. Some have him as a CB, others a S, agreement that he is a versatile player. Best fit here IMO (Scruggs was the top O-lineman)

# 238: Spencer Anderson, OL, Maryland.

Felt strange making no trades.....

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:56 pm

oops, wrong thread.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:17 pm

HalCHorn wrote:oops, wrong thread.  

The really funny thing was, I didn't notice that either! Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:35 am

This includes Northern Illinois wide receiver Shemar Thornton, who Miami worked out on Friday, according to KPRC2’s Aaron Wilson.

Thornton transferred to NIU for the 2022 season after spending most of his collegiate career at Florida International. In his final season, he recorded 30 receptions for 327 yards. He also threw for a three-yard touchdown against Kentucky in September.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-niu-wideout-ahead-draft-190043227.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next