The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins

+2
finfanatic
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins Empty Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins

Post by JMP Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 pm

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-bring-in-former-first-round-pick-for-free-agent-visit

Alain Poupart wrote:The team hosted former Colts safety Malik Hooker on a free agent visit Tuesday, according to NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport.

Hooker certainly is an intriguing player, having been selected 15th overall in the 2017 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts after a stellar career at Ohio State.

Injuries unfortunately have been the biggest story of Hooker's career so far. He missed the final nine games of his rookie season in 2017 and, after playing 27 games over the next two seasons, missed all but two games last year because of a torn Achilles.

Hooker has seven interceptions in his career, including three in those seven games in 2017.

The visit certainly is interesting considering the Dolphins selected safety Jevon Holland in the second round of the 2021 NFL draft, one year after taking safety Brandon Jones in Round 3, not to mention the presence of veterans Eric Rowe and Bobby McCain on the roster.

As we discussed earlier, though, Rowe and McCain have been mentioned as potential cap casualties, a notion the recent moves certainly aren't about to eliminate. The Dolphins would save $5.6 million of the the $7.1 million cap charge on McCain by cutting, according to overthecap.com, and would save $5 million of a $6 million cap charge on Rowe.

Given Hooker's injury history, which came after the Colts had declined to pick up his fifth-year option, it certainly figures that if he signed anywhere, it'll be some kind of prove-it deal.

It's also worth nothing that teams now can sign unrestricted free agents without affecting their compensatory pick for 2022.

On that topic, the Dolphins currently are scheduled to receive a fifth-round selection as compensation for losing Davon Godchaux to the New England Patriots, again per overthecap.com.

Wow!  This tells me that Flores still hasn't gotten over the whipping the Bills gave his defense in week 17.  Adding Coleman, Holland and potentially Hooker is a total reshaping of the heart of the pass defense.  

Hooker, when healthy, is arguably the best free safety in the NFL.  Problem is, he's rarely healthy - having missed approximately half of his NFL career with injuries.  Doesn't hurt to sign him to a "prove it" deal and see what he can do.  He's an immensely talented player, and he's still young.  If he signs, the battles in the secondary are going to be epic this summer!

Last edited by JMP on Wed May 05, 2021 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins Empty Re: Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins

Post by finfanatic Wed May 05, 2021 7:35 am

When Healthy is the operative phrase. I agree, loads of talent, but the problem is if he shows you something and you make decisions based on him being there, it is likely he will not be there all season. And you've cut McCain and Rowe maybe and now another Safety has to step up.

All these "cost nothing/doesn't hurt" deals carry serious risk IMO.

There is never a ZERO SUM transaction in the NFL.

I would say it doesn't hurt to LOOK AT HIM, but just know that if you sign him, you have to be prepared for an injury to cost him games.
That means the backup has to be sort of a starter-ish/backup, which costs more.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins Empty Re: Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins

Post by JMP Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 am

finfanatic wrote:When Healthy is the operative phrase.  I agree, loads of talent, but the problem is if he shows you something and you make decisions based on him being there, it is likely he will not be there all season. And you've cut McCain and Rowe maybe and now another Safety has to step up.

All these "cost nothing/doesn't hurt" deals carry serious risk IMO.

There is never a ZERO SUM transaction in the NFL.

I would say it doesn't hurt to LOOK AT HIM, but just know that if you sign him, you have to be prepared for an injury to cost him games.
That means the backup has to be sort of a starter-ish/backup, which costs more.

Yep. Probably unrealistic, but if there's a way to keep BOTH McCain and Rowe AND add Hooker, that would be ideal. But IMHO: neither McCain nor Rowe are long-term solutions, so I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is not on the final roster.

McCain has been the defensive QB, calling all the plays. He's been very dependable overall, but he's not exactly an ideal centerfielder-type and he rarely makes a big play. Rowe has been excellent against TEs (as long as they're not elite TEs...), but has struggled some in the run because he's not a great tackler. So I think you're looking at two players are are smart and solid, but can be replaced.

We do have Jones, who can play any of the safety spots as well as nickle and dime. And we drafted Holland, who can also play all those positions. Holland could end up being Rowe's replacement, even though I initially pegged him as a FS. He's a good tackler and has extensive slot experience, so that makes him a good fit at SS where he can play in the box against the run and also cover TEs in the slot. SO maybe you have Hooker as the every-down FS, and then Holland and Jones move all over the formation depending on the situation??

BUT again...Hooker's health is the issue...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Wed May 05, 2021 11:25 am

I just heard about this and raced here to share it but was way too slow. Damn, I am disappointed I didn't get to come up with a killer Hooker headline.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Killah Sith wrote:I just heard about this and raced here to share it but was way too slow.  Damn, I am disappointed I didn't get to come up with a killer Hooker headline.

Very Happy Let me know if you have a good headline and I'll change this one! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 pm

I didn't yet quite work out my wording but I was going to do something like "Grier/Flores Talking To Hooker."  Or "Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right."

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Wed May 05, 2021 1:11 pm

Of course if he gets injured the headline has to be, "Hooker Goes Down."

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm

Grier needs a Hooker after the draft!

Flores and Grier tag teaming Hooker!

Miami Dolphins in the market for a healthy Hooker!

Dolphins season ended by injury to Hooker!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Very Happy Very Happy

I like "Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right." I'm adding it to the thread title now!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Wed May 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Is Hooker a ball hawk?

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu May 06, 2021 1:30 am

Killah Sith wrote:Is Hooker a ball hawk?

That's $20.00 extra.

Degarmo

JMP and Killah Sith like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 06, 2021 7:39 am

Degarmo wrote:

That's $20.00 extra.

Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins 1f603

Two good ones.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 06, 2021 9:08 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 07, 2021 12:51 am

finfanatic wrote:
Degarmo wrote:

That's $20.00 extra.

Dolphins To Pay Hooker If Price Is Right: Safety Malik Hooker visits with Dolphins 1f603

Two good ones.

That also costs extra.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 07, 2021 9:19 am

Pay to play.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 20, 2021 9:42 am

Oh come ON, people! The opening was RIGHT THERE! Wink

DolFan 316

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 20, 2021 9:48 am

Very Happy

When they're held for pleasure, they're the balls that I like best.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 20, 2021 10:27 am

Did the Phins not pay the Hooker?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 20, 2021 11:05 am

finfanatic wrote:Did the Phins not pay the Hooker?

LOL Not yet!

If he is still available then, and is able to pass a physical, I would not be surprised if they sign him after week one, when his contract won't be guaranteed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 am

Hooker's price makes Grier seek someone cheaper!
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri May 21, 2021 10:14 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Oh come ON, people! The opening was RIGHT THERE! Wink

I swear it sounds to me like the guys are saying "Forrest Tucker" from 2:23 to the end.  I wonder if they're F Troop fans.  (The title track of this album was inspired by an episode of Beany and Cecil if memory serves)

EDIT: never mind, just did a little looking, apparently Bon Scott was a huge F Troop fan and this was his homage. Cool. Subtler than his Mork and Mindy homage at the end of Night Prowler, but funnier.

HalCHorn

Degarmo and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 21, 2021 11:05 am

HalCHorn wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:Oh come ON, people! The opening was RIGHT THERE! Wink

I swear it sounds to me like the guys are saying "Forrest Tucker" from 2:23 to the end.  I wonder if they're F Troop fans.  (The title track of this album was inspired by an episode of Beany and Cecil if memory serves)

EDIT: never mind, just did a little looking, apparently Bon Scott was a huge F Troop fan and this was his homage.  Cool.  Subtler than his Mork and Mindy homage at the end of Night Prowler, but funnier.

Wow, nice detective work Hal! That's great trivia! I always wondered about that as well. I know you are a big F Troop fan too!

My brother told me about the Shazbot/nanu nanu at the end of Night Prowler years ago...has to be one of the strangest things ever in music! Laughing One of my favorite Bon-era songs, BTW.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 21, 2021 11:06 am

finfanatic wrote:Hooker's price makes Grier seek someone cheaper!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down