The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Van Ginkel moving to inside LB

+4
finskev
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Van Ginkel moving to inside LB Empty Van Ginkel moving to inside LB

Post by JMP Tue May 23, 2023 10:38 am

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/is-miami-dolphins-andrew-van-ginkel-linebacker-moving-inside

According to NFL Network’s Cameron Wolfe, the former Wisconsin standout’s fit might be at inside linebacker, which makes some sense for a couple of reasons.

First, the Dolphins’ depth at inside linebacker is relatively thin.

Jerome Baker and David Long Jr., a free agent addition, are the projected starters, and Duke Riley and Channing Tindall are the primary backups. Behind them are two undrafted rookies — Jackson State standout Aubrey Miller and Illinois State’s Kyle Vandenburgh — who haven’t played a snap in the NFL.

Second, Van Ginkel, who finished the 2022 season with 47 tackles, one interception and half a sack, doesn’t exactly have the frame to set the edge on running downs in the NFL, which explains why Miami has used him in spot duty and scheme-specific roles throughout the years.

Finally, the Dolphins would benefit from cross training a linebacker to play both inside and outside, similar to how they used Sam Eguavoen at multiple spots and in various roles the past four years. That helps with position flexibility, which is needed for game-day roster decisions.

Potentially moving Van Ginkel to inside linebacker also opens the door for Miami to sign one of the many aged but talented veteran pass rushers/edge players still available in free agency.

Yannick Ngakoue, Leonard Floyd, Robert Quinn, Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Al-Quadin Muhammad and Trey Flowers are all still free agents.

Interesting stuff. Anything that gets AVG on the field works for me!

I didn't know Leonard Floyd was still available...I'd definitely like to add him.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Van Ginkel moving to inside LB Empty Re: Van Ginkel moving to inside LB

Post by DolFan 316 Tue May 23, 2023 11:31 am

Methinks this means Fangio already has figured out what a bust Tindall is. I am hearing good things about this Aubrey Miller guy though.

JMP wrote:I didn't know Leonard Floyd was still available...I'd definitely like to add him.

I wouldn't mind Ingram coming back. Obviously he overestimated his value but I never begrudge a man his ambitions. Just say NO to Trey Flowers though.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 am

statistical anomaly...

As for that snap count for Van Ginkel, in his career, it’s a statistically proven fact that when he plays often and is utilized right, Miami simply wins. When Van Ginkel blitzes eight or more times in a game the Dolphins are remarkably 10-1. He did this twice in 2022, and Miami was 1-1 with the loss coming against the Green Bay Packers game in Week 16.

When he blitzes nine or more times, Miami is 7-0 in his career. He was credited with a quarterback hit in six of those games, including 3.5 sacks. Furthermore, of those 10 wins, just one of them came last year when he was criminally under-utilized at under 30% of the defensive snaps on the season.

When Van Ginkel plays more than 70% of the snaps in a professional game, the Dolphins are 13-5. In those 18 games with that usage, his basic full season plus one game would read 74 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss and a whopping 23 quarterback hits.

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/is-miami-dolphins-andrew-van-ginkel-linebacker-moving-inside

...or indicator of an underutilized player that might blossom in a new scheme?

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue May 23, 2023 11:57 am

No matter how this works out, I will always remember AVG for his blocked punt and score VS the Bears that prevented what would've been a *really* humiliating loss, and was the only good special teams play by the Fins all season. Shades of Degarmo favorite Mark Higgs in '90 doing the same thing to beat the 1-15 Pats when the Fins had a -5 turnover ratio in that game.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue May 23, 2023 3:21 pm

I Agree anything that can get Him on the Field more is Fine with Me, They have My Permission to do this.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 23, 2023 3:23 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Methinks this means Fangio already has figured out what a bust Tindall is. I am hearing good things about this Aubrey Miller guy though.

JMP wrote:I didn't know Leonard Floyd was still available...I'd definitely like to add him.

I wouldn't mind Ingram coming back. Obviously he overestimated his value but I never begrudge a man his ambitions. Just say NO to Trey Flowers though.

Yeah, I'm OK with Ingram coming back as well. But Leonard Floyd has put up 9+ sacks in each of the past 3 seasons. Of course, he's been a full-time starter since coming into the league and he's still only 30 years old (31 in September) - so he may be looking for a starting job.

Aubrey Miller is a great story. I hope he somehow earns a spot.

Tindall is a decent special teams player so that may give him an edge over some of the bottom of the roster guys, but given the fact that he's got an "easy cut" salary he needs to show something a helluva lot more than that to make the team and get real playing time.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 23, 2023 3:26 pm

finskev wrote:I Agree anything that can get Him on the Field more is Fine with Me, They have My Permission to do this.

I'm picturing a 3-4 alignment with Phillips and Chubb at OLB and Baker and AVG at ILB. That's FOUR LBs that all have the ability to get to the QB. I know Fangio doesn't blitz a ton, but that formation gives him so many options - it's crazy to think about!

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 24, 2023 2:17 pm

This is interesting:

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

To expand on @CameronWolfe's good nugget about Andrew Van Ginkel playing some ILB: Am told the thinking is to get him on field more. He's still playing OLB in base while getting up to speed on playing ILB in some situations, including nickel.Fangio likes him.He's very productive

Sounds to me like Fangio wants to get AVG as many reps as possible, so he'll be playing multiple positions. I like it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed May 24, 2023 3:00 pm

Methinks this means Fangio already has figured out what a bust Tindall is.

I can all but guarantee Boyer wanted an upgrade at LB, and personally scouted and lobbied for Tindall. It only sounds like I'm joking. We know Grier will work to get what his coaches want, and McDaniel handed the keys to the defense to Boyer. It's not a stretch at all to think this is exactly what happened.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 24, 2023 3:19 pm

white1 wrote:
Methinks this means Fangio already has figured out what a bust Tindall is.

I can all but guarantee Boyer wanted an upgrade at LB, and personally scouted and lobbied for Tindall.  It only sounds like I'm joking.  We know Grier will work to get what his coaches want, and McDaniel handed the keys to the defense to Boyer.  It's not a stretch at all to think this is exactly what happened.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. At this point I really have no expectations for Tindall.

I'll take it once step further and say that Georgia defensive players are incredibly overrated. Everyone is drooling over the Eagles drafting 5 Georgia defenders the past two years, but I've seen absolutely nothing from Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean at the NFL level, and I am not expecting much from Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith or Kelee Ringo either. Add Tindall to that list, and it seems like a bunch of good college players that simply aren't NFL material. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong, but at this point I am unimpressed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 24, 2023 4:02 pm

JMP wrote:I'll take it once step further and say that Georgia defensive players are incredibly overrated.  Everyone is drooling over the Eagles drafting 5 Georgia defenders the past two years, but I've seen absolutely nothing from Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean at the NFL level, and I am not expecting much from Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith or Kelee Ringo either.  Add Tindall to that list, and it seems like a bunch of good college players that simply aren't NFL material. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong, but at this point I am unimpressed.

I LOVE that someone else has figured this out cheers cheers cheers I've known it for a while. At least some of the Saban Era Bama players because solid to good NFL players (although a lot more of them have busted out than people want to admit).

This team CANNOT afford to have two consecutive drafts be complete wastes. Last year's already seems to be a lost cause, this year's HAS to produce SOMEBODY worthwhile.

DolFan 316

JMP and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 25, 2023 8:48 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

This team CANNOT afford to have two consecutive drafts be complete wastes. Last year's already seems to be a lost cause, this year's HAS to produce SOMEBODY worthwhile.

With only 4 picks total each year, it's hard to have a great draft. Last year especially, with no pick till the end of round 3.

But I definitely expect this year's draft to pay dividends. I think Smith, Achane and Higgins will all develop into key pieces. If we get something from Hayes too, that's gravy. There's still some sliver of hope with last year's class...EZ still has a chance and I think Skylar can eventually be a decent backup. But I've pretty much written off Tindall as special teams only.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu May 25, 2023 8:50 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I'll take it once step further and say that Georgia defensive players are incredibly overrated.  Everyone is drooling over the Eagles drafting 5 Georgia defenders the past two years, but I've seen absolutely nothing from Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean at the NFL level, and I am not expecting much from Jalen Carter, Nolan Smith or Kelee Ringo either.  Add Tindall to that list, and it seems like a bunch of good college players that simply aren't NFL material. Maybe I'll turn out to be wrong, but at this point I am unimpressed.

I LOVE that someone else has figured this out cheers cheers cheers I've known it for a while. At least some of the Saban Era Bama players because solid to good NFL players (although a lot more of them have busted out than people want to admit).

The person buying the groceries can't tell the difference between shit and Shinola

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu May 25, 2023 9:49 am

not to get off topic, and it is too soon to fully judge the 2022 draft, but just looking at the early returns there is one thing I find striking.

Take a look at some O-linemen from that draft a year ago who started a full season as rookies and who drafted them:

Spencer Burford, San Francisco, UTSA:  134th pick
Cordell Volson, Cincinnati, North Dakota St. (OT at that): 136th pick
Braxton Jones, Chicago, Southern Utah: 168th pick
Jamaree Salyer, Chargers, Georgia: 195th pick (granted, only 14 starts, but close to a full year)

The first two instances show teams that made the conference championship finding immediate O-line starters in the 4th round.  We got very little out of the two guys we chose before them and we're still scrambling to fill out the O-line depth this off-season, just saying.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 25, 2023 9:56 am

JMP wrote:With only 4 picks total each year, it's hard to have a great draft.  Last year especially, with no pick till the end of round 3.

I hate to hijack the thread, but NFL history has shown repeatedly that bad drafting teams will draft badly no matter how many picks they rack up. During the four year JJ Era (Error) the Fins had more draft capital than any other team, yet he couldn't draft offense to save his life, and half the defensive picks were duds as well. Zach, JT, Madison and Surtain made a lot of people forget how bad the rest of those drafts actually were.

The Rams got a boatload of picks over multiple years starting in '88 by trading Eric Dickerson. They used those picks so well that they...became one of the worst teams of the '90s if not the worst. Remember when the Browns hired an analytics guy as their GM and he hoarded more picks over a two-tear period than any NFL team ever had before? That resulted in...1-31 over two seasons. Grier had three first rounders and squandered two of them. When it comes to the draft it's always quality over quantity. This team could've had a much better draft last year if they'd taken the guys I (and we) wanted, with the exact same number of picks.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 25, 2023 12:52 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:With only 4 picks total each year, it's hard to have a great draft.  Last year especially, with no pick till the end of round 3.

I hate to hijack the thread, but NFL history has shown repeatedly that bad drafting teams will draft badly no matter how many picks they rack up. During the four year JJ Era (Error) the Fins had more draft capital than any other team, yet he couldn't draft offense to save his life, and half the defensive picks were duds as well. Zach, JT, Madison and Surtain made a lot of people forget how bad the rest of those drafts actually were.

The Rams got a boatload of picks over multiple years starting in '88 by trading Eric Dickerson. They used those picks so well that they...became one of the worst teams of the '90s if not the worst. Remember when the Browns hired an analytics guy as their GM and he hoarded more picks over a two-tear period than any NFL team ever had before? That resulted in...1-31 over two seasons. Grier had three first rounders and squandered two of them. When it comes to the draft it's always quality over quantity. This team could've had a much better draft last year if they'd taken the guys I (and we) wanted, with the exact same number of picks.  

Drafting is really a numbers game. Every single team in the league misses on far more picks than they hit on, and when we talk about a team having a "good" draft ii often means they hit on one or two players and whiffed on the rest. JJ believed that the more picks he had, the more likely he'd find a few gems. And that usually plays out, though of course not always. That's why we see teams consistently trying to get as many picks as possible.

The Dolphins have gone the opposite route under McD - so far - by using draft picks to add established veteran players. The way this team has been built, there really isn't a lot of room for rookies to come in and seize starting jobs - most starting positions are filled. That was certainly the case this year, and the draft picks the team made are going to be key role players rather than immediate starters.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 25, 2023 6:41 pm

JMP wrote:That was certainly the case this year, and the draft picks the team made are going to be key role players rather than immediate starters.

I get that. My point is, key role players are better than someone who literally contributes next to nothing, like Tindall and Ezukanma last year. If it hadn't been for overzealous NFL spotters under orders to punish the Fins, Skylar might've spent the whole season rotting on the bench too.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 26, 2023 8:53 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:That was certainly the case this year, and the draft picks the team made are going to be key role players rather than immediate starters.

I get that. My point is, key role players are better than someone who literally contributes next to nothing, like Tindall and Ezukanma last year. If it hadn't been for overzealous NFL spotters under orders to punish the Fins, Skylar might've spent the whole season rotting on the bench too.

Oh, absolutely. Last year's draft was...not good. But at least there's a chance that EZ develops, and Skylar could very well be a long-term #2 QB or maybe even trade bait down the road. I'm losing hope that Tindall will be ever be anything more than a special teamer, but I guess we'll see.

I do feel much MUCH better about this most recent draft though.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri May 26, 2023 9:59 am

speaking of Dolphin draft picks - and LBers at that. This poor guy can't buy a break (maybe "break" Isn't the word i should use)...

One former Miami Dolphin, current New England Patriots linebacker Raekwon McMillan, has already been placed on season-ending injured reserve after suffering a partially torn Achilles

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-dolphins-lb-suffers-partially-115957839.html

3rd missed season due to ACL tear.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 26, 2023 10:11 am

Damn, that sucks. Raekwon had found a home in New England as a key role player, but that dude is just cursed. What a shame.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon May 29, 2023 1:28 am

AVG is lightning in a bottle. He's a high energy guy that goes hard every play. Maybe, this was a move talked about with Fangio. Maybe that is why AVG wanted to leave but Fangio told him that he would find a place for him. I dont think that he's better than Chubb or Phillips. I think he will have opportunities to spell ILB and OLB. And if thats the case he will get more playing time, which is why I suspect he looked to go elsewhere in FA.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down