The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Achane

+2
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
6 posters

Go down

Achane Empty Achane

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:58 am

My thoughts that Achane is to small to stay healthy running the ball in Miami is coming to fruition. The entire running.running back room is filled with injury prone players.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Achane Empty Re: Achane

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:56 pm

You're far from the only one who was saying this. Sub-190 pound RBs just aren't ideal for the NFL. Here's a list of all such RBs with at least 4000 career rushing yards since 1960. Spoiler alert: it's a short one. And Achane is not in Warrick Dunn's class. Even Austin Ekeler is 15 pounds heavier than Achane.

https://stathead.com/tiny/G4SLL

If Achane is out for all or most of the season it'll be the second consecutive Grier draft that's been a complete waste of everyone's time. He might as well walk around with a "F*K THEM PICKS" shirt at that point.

The sad part is, this will bring out all the Dalvin Cook fanbois who will use this injury as an excuse to yammer on about how stupid Grier is for not signing such a transcendent, generational unicorn (gag, barf) as if Cook's never had his own injury issues or his signing would've somehow prevented Achane from ever being hurt.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:18 pm

RBs get hurt. Smaller sized RBs are more likely to get hurt physics says. And as long as the Oline is half-arsed, you can scheme to get rushing yards with ANY decent RB IMO. This is why the RBs are not getting the premium paydays like they used to IMHO.

What Cook brings is breakaway speed. McD is all about speed. I was okay with bringing Cook in for a cap friendly deal, but I was not expecting him to instantly turn Miami into a surefire SB Winner all by himself.

I like Gaskin and Ahmed, but I am sorta hoping they keep Brooks. Ahmed keeps busting them 65 yarders though, it's gonna be tough to cut him.

finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:48 pm

I will say Achane was a luxury pick and I’m not sure our roster can afford it. Depth on DL or OL would have been wiser. We have plenty of backs even without Achane.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:51 pm

This is my issue with Grier. He’s always serving the head coach but to a fault. It’s okay to take the stance “I know you want speed but at this point in the draft our roster benefits from this pick much more than the value we get from the running back.”

I don’t think he’s doing that well enough - at all…
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:14 pm

I hear Achane is "week to week and avoided serious injury".

I've been down this road before so I fully expect an "updated" diagnosis in a week saying he's actually out for at least half the season.

Just put Brooks on the roster already. But McDaniel and Grier seem to hate RBs with any sort of size or physicality so...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:03 pm

Brooks looks good against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Jonathan Taylor has been given permission to seek a trade. If you all remember he was the player I wanted in the draft. I think he would be a 1400 yard back in this offense.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:57 am

Taylor makes a hell of a lot more sense than Cook did.

Still young, and a better back.

This would truly be an "all in" move and I would love to see the Fins pull it off.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:32 am

I don't consider Achane a luxury pick - we needed another RB, because Mostert and Wilson are both on one year deals. Achane is the future. I'm not concerned with his size. He's supposedly up over 190 already, and has the frame to add more. To me he has a similar body type to Aaron Jones - who is plenty big enough.

As for Taylor, I don't see any chance of him becoming a Dolphin. The trade compensation will be too high, and he supposedly wants a deal like CMC got from San Fran (4 years, $64 million - with $38 million guaranteed). Sure, the Dolphins can trade anything and they can find ways to manipulate the cap - but it's just too much for a RB.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:44 am

JMP wrote:As for Taylor, I don't see any chance of him becoming a Dolphin.  The trade compensation will be too high, and he supposedly wants a deal like CMC got from San Fran (4 years, $64 million - with $38 million guaranteed).  Sure, the Dolphins can trade anything and they can find ways to manipulate the cap - but it's just too much for a RB.

PREACH AWN, JMP!!! OUT HERE DROPPING TRUTH BOMBS!!!

Not to mention Taylor is currently on the PUP list and the LAST thing this team needs is to give away almost all of a THIRD consecutive draft. And how on God's green earth would they even be able to afford him next season or the one after that? scratch Right now I'm having a hard time seeing how they'll get under the cap in 2024 as it is! At the absolute very least, Ogbah and Wilson would have to be dropped.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:56 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:As for Taylor, I don't see any chance of him becoming a Dolphin.  The trade compensation will be too high, and he supposedly wants a deal like CMC got from San Fran (4 years, $64 million - with $38 million guaranteed).  Sure, the Dolphins can trade anything and they can find ways to manipulate the cap - but it's just too much for a RB.

PREACH AWN, JMP!!! OUT HERE DROPPING TRUTH BOMBS!!!

Not to mention Taylor is currently on the PUP list and the LAST thing this team needs is to give away almost all of a THIRD consecutive draft. And how on God's green earth would they even be able to afford him next season or the one after that? scratch Right now I'm having a hard time seeing how they'll get under the cap in 2024 as it is! At the absolute very least, Ogbah and Wilson would have to be dropped.

Yeah Ogbah and Wilson will be off the books for sure, but we have too many pending free agents that need to be resigned or replaced to now add a massive contract at a position that really isn't valued across the league. And it is also pretty clear that McD prefers a RB by committee approach - which is probably a big reason why they didn't want to pay Cook $7 million a year. Hard for me to imagine them paying more than twice as much (plus draft picks) for Taylor.

Obviously Taylor is a phenomenal back and would be a huge get for any team - I just don't see the fit in Miami, and I don't see the value at the position. Cook at a max of $4 million made sense to me - Taylor at $16 million just doesn't.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:45 pm

I don't think Taylor is worth what he is asking for either, JMP.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:04 pm

finfanatic wrote:I don't think Taylor is worth what he is asking for either, JMP.

Yep - he's played for three years: one very good, one fantastic, and one OK/cut short by injury. Not exactly a $16 million per year resume.

If you're getting the 2021 Taylor, sure, you can maybe understand a monster contract. But how do you know you're getting that? He's not even 100% healthy right now.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:37 pm

i'm just posting these thoughts for consideration...

...consider the plight of rookie running back De’Von Achane.

He was body slammed to the ground once in last Saturday’s 28-3 victory over Houston and thrown to the ground and landed on violently another time — the last incident causing him to leave the game and be declared “week to week” by coach Mike McDaniel. Consequently, it’s unclear whether Achane will play in this Saturday’s preseason finale at Jacksonville.

In the second quarter, on third-and-14 from the Dolphins’ 16-yard line, Achane burst off of right tackle for a 20-yard gain.

At the end of the play Achane was corralled by Houston safety Eric Murray (5-11, 199), picked up, and body slammed to the ground on his right shoulder.

Achane bounced up and was OK.

In the third quarter, Achane had a 6-yard gain at the end of which his forward progress was stopped by three Texans defenders.

Defensive tackle Khalil Davis, at 308 pounds, threw Achane to the ground and landed on top of him. Achane’s left shoulder took the brunt of the blow, and Achane left the game and didn’t return.

But I’m concerned because being thrown to the ground and landed on by a 300-punder led to Achane missing practice time and possibly the preseason finale against the Jaguars.

I don’t worry about Achane’s toughness, I worry about how Achane’s body will be treated on the field and whether it’ll lead to injuries that cause him to miss practice and games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-perkins-dolphins-von-achane-000400843.html

so does Achane's relatively diminutive size make him a target for more violent tackles and subsequent injury? while it was seeminly not a problem in college, the pro game is whole different level of violence. and it may not ever be one significant career ender, but rather his body won't hold up to the constant, cumulative build up of the pounding. and Miami may realize this and thus their multiple pursuits of RBs (Taylor, Cook, Jacobs) this offseason.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:37 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:so does Achane's relatively diminutive size make him a target for more violent tackles and subsequent injury?  while it was seeminly not a problem in college, the pro game is whole different level of violence.  and it may not ever be one significant career ender, but rather his body won't hold up to the constant, cumulative build up of the pounding.  and Miami may realize this and thus their multiple pursuits of RBs (Taylor, Cook, Jacobs) this offseason.

Not realizing a sub 190 pound RB is too small to handle NFL level punishment is firmly in "too dumb to live" territory and if Grier and whoever else took this long to finally realize it then that IMO is grounds for IMMEDIATE dismissal. At this point I'm seriously wondering how or even if Grier is managing to dress and feed himself. Not even joking.

I could swear I made at least one post here if not more months ago about why I didn't want Achane because if this exact same issue. scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 pm

Achane is about 195 pounds from the last report I saw. He has the frame to get above 200 IMO. I don't think he's too small, and a minor shoulder injury in preseason doesn't mean he is injury prone.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:53 pm

Gee, this sounds awfully familiar...

https://www.rotoballer.com/player-news/keaton-mitchell-suffers-shoulder-injury-in-loss-to-commanders/1222942

A sub 190 pound RB with a shoulder injury due to being too small? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say! At least the Ravens had enough sense not to waste a draft pick on the guy.

BTW Mitchell and Deuce Vaughn were the only RBs at the combine smaller than Achane.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/2023-combine.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:29 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

BTW Mitchell and Deuce Vaughn were the only RBs at the combine smaller than Achane.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/2023-combine.htm

And Vaughn is on track to open the season as the Cowboys #2 back from what I'm hearing. Size hasn't been an issue.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down