The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 2 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

+5
white1
mercury22nathan
Umix10
DolFan 316
JMP
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Week 2 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 2 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:32 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:The Pats offensive gameplan seemed to be to attack Apple often and it was their most effective strategy – especially the back-to-back interference calls.  If teams continue to go after Apple, we might need to see Cam Smith get more defensive playing time.  The game felt much closer than it needed to be and Jones’ 74% completion rate was too efficient, however the 4.3 yards per pass just wasn’t enough and I was surprised they tried to force balls to Bourne (4 completions in 9 targets) instead of more thrown to the TE’s (11 completions in 13 targets) as those seemed to be working.

PFF telling you what i've already told you.

It will be interesting to see if No. 4 cornerback Justin Bethel or Cam Smith, Parry Nickerson or Kelvin Joseph can wrest the No. 3 cornerback job from Eli Apple, who was targeted repeatedly by the Patriots.

Per Pro Football Focus, New England threw at Apple 10 times and completed seven of those passes for 76 yards. Apple also was penalized three times.

The Patriots threw only twice at Kader Kohou, and completed both passes but for just 13 yards.

They threw twice at Bethel and completed both, but for just 6 yards.

The Patriots threw nine times at Xavien Howard and completed six passes for 46 yards, but Howard had an interception on one of those passes.

Just three of seven passes against safeties Jevon Holland and DeShon Elliott were completed, and for only 23 yards (all coming against Holland).

Among the linebackers, Jerome Baker was targeted eight times and allowed all to be caught for 41 yards and a touchdown. New England was 10-for-10 passing against Miami’s starting inside linebackers, going 2 for 2 for 22 yards against David Long Jr.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcdaniel-makes-mostert-unique-dolphins-151056104.html

you can be sure Sean Payton will be developing a gameplan that target's Apple and the LBers with TEs.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Week 2 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots - Page 2 Empty Re: Week 2 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Patriots

Post by JMP Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:02 pm

I'm OK with Apple allowing short completions. It is what is is...we lost Ramsey and Apple is the best option right now. But I am intrigued by what I saw from Parry Nickerson in preseason - even though he played against scrubs.

I doubt we see Cam Smith any time soon - seems like this entire coaching staff is hesitant to give big roles to rookies.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:25 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:2 games in and the Patriot's cracks are starting to show.

“Definitely got to play better and learn from it and be here early and leave late and do it together. I think that’s the biggest thing. If a couple guys are doing it, it’s not good enough, clearly," Jones said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mac-jones-clarifies-not-calling-234947636.html

Jones tried to later say (not very convincingly) he wasn't calling out other guy's lack of time commitment and effort, but i think its pretty clear that is exactly what he was saying.

Hey, it worked when Brady did it, right? Laughing

You know a team's going downhill when you were once able to name every starter and even some backups and then you get to where you only know some of the starters and now you couldn't name more than 4 or 5.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:54 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:2 games in and the Patriot's cracks are starting to show.

“Definitely got to play better and learn from it and be here early and leave late and do it together. I think that’s the biggest thing. If a couple guys are doing it, it’s not good enough, clearly," Jones said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mac-jones-clarifies-not-calling-234947636.html

Jones tried to later say (not very convincingly) he wasn't calling out other guy's lack of time commitment and effort, but i think its pretty clear that is exactly what he was saying.

Hey, it worked when Brady did it, right? Laughing

and now the narrative is that Mac Jones is showing leadership on a laid back, lackadaisical team.

"I think this is a role Mac Jones has become accustomed to playing, whether it was in high school or college, where he wants to be the tone-setter," Breer explained. "The reason why I correlated his comments after the game last week to what you heard coming out of his camp when he was a rookie is that there is a standard he was use to having in the program at Alabama, and he didn't feel like it was there when he was a rookie. Clearly it wasn't there last year, which I think led to a lot of the frustration personally.

https://sports.yahoo.com/breer-patriots-qb-mac-jones-175800878.html

what? but, but... i thought Belichick ran a tight ship with an iron fist?!?!?!

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:21 am

Yeah, Mac Jones and his 50% completion rate, who did absolutely nothing of note yesterday except hit a wide open TE on a busted play, is now the leader of the team. Watching that offense play, I guess that makes perfect sense! Laughing

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:59 am

come on Cowboys. Shake it off, next Sunday is a perfect opportunity for a get-well game at home against the Patsies. I'm counting on you!

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2