The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

+4
DolFan 316
JEGnj
JMP
finfanatic
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 Empty Re: 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:12 pm

JMP wrote:Fact is, Iggy has nothing to do with Cam Smith, and Cam Smith will have nothing to do with the next CB the Dolphins draft.

Except for the fact that they were picked by the same GM 3 years apart, using the same scouting criteria which has now been revealed to be HIGHLY flawed.

By your logic, Tua will become the next Marino...after all, both were first round QBs drafted by the Dolphins, right?  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that - every draft pick will either succeed or he won't, regardless of what a previous pick at the same position did.

Come on man, you're better than that.

Fangio may have had a great coaching career, but that doesn't mean he was perfect by any means - as evidenced by his defense allowing the 22nd most points in the NFL.  Unless you thought it was a smart idea to give Eli Apple 547 snaps on defense while Cam Smith got 20.

If Smith was as horrible as Fangio thought--and remember, he saw Smith every day in practice--then yes, playing Apple may well have been the better idea. Or to put it another way, how awful must Smith have been for the likes of Eli Freaking Apple to b a better option? Shocked Just like Needham and Kohou were rightfully considered better options than Iggy. It's almost like there's a pattern here, hmmm scratch  

No one is saying Smith will be a star...but it sure would be nice to know what we have in him - especially when we had multiple injuries at the position and the players Fangio chose to play did not perform well.  I saw enough from Smith in preseason to warrant another look...but for whatever reason Fangio wouldn't play him, and now we have no idea if he's any good or not.  That's a major blunder by Fangio, regardless of his reputation.

If Smith's worth another look then there's no need to draft another CB high. I'm glad that's settled Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 Empty Re: 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

Post by HalCHorn Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:07 pm

all that said, if Quinyon Mitchell is there at 21 I won't have much of a problem taking him.

If somehow, Mitchell and Jared Verse are both there at 21, I wouldn't have a problem giving Philly some picks next year to get # 22 and get them both. And you guys know how much I love to accumulate picks instead of trading them away.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:15 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Except for the fact that they were picked by the same GM 3 years apart, using the same scouting criteria which has now been revealed to be HIGHLY flawed.

oh what? you gonna say that system can't pick ILBers either?

Few Chiefs defenders had a better Super Bowl than linebacker Leo Chenal, who forced a Christian McCaffrey fumble, blocked an extra point and had six tackles and a third-down stop.

Where did Chenal go in the 2022 draft? With the 103rd pick, one selection after Miami took a different linebacker, Georgia’s Channing Tindall.

In two seasons with the Dolphins, Tindall has just 21 defensive snaps and 11 total tackles.

In two seasons with the Chiefs, Chenal has 100 tackles (including 11 for loss), four sacks, and 18 starts, including 10 this past season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article285430997.html

oh, never mind.

sorry, that had nothing to do with the discussion. i'm just stirring shit.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:53 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Except for the fact that they were picked by the same GM 3 years apart, using the same scouting criteria which has now been revealed to be HIGHLY flawed.

Again, each pick is separate.  Players are all different, and will either succeed or fail on their own - regardless of what happened with another player in the past.  The "highly flawed" scouting system also produced Tua, Jackson, Wilkins, Waddle, Phillips, Holland, Achane, Hunt, etc. - and also identified key undrafted players like Kohou and Needham, as well as identifying unheralded players from other teams to go after like Sieler.

DolFan 316 wrote:
Come on man, you're better than that.

Hey, I'm just using the logic you presented - we once drafted a bad CB so now every CB we draft will be bad, right?  LOL

DolFan 316 wrote:If Smith was as horrible as Fangio thought--and remember, he saw Smith every day in practice--then yes, playing Apple may well have been the better idea. Or to put it another way, how awful must Smith have been for the likes of Eli Freaking Apple to b a better option?     

Or, maybe Smith would have performed as well as or even better than all of them.  We'll never know.

DolFan 316 wrote:If Smith's worth another look then there's no need to draft another CB high. I'm glad that's settled  Cool

Having a player that's "worth another look" doesn't mean we're set at the position.  While we don't have to draft a CB high, it certainly wouldn't be a mistake - especially if, as Hal suggested, we end up with Quinyon Mitchell.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:20 pm

HalCHorn wrote:all that said, if Quinyon Mitchell is there at 21 I won't have much of a problem taking him.

If somehow, Mitchell and Jared Verse are both there at 21, I wouldn't have a problem giving Philly some picks next year to get # 22 and get them both. And you guys know how much I love to accumulate picks instead of trading them away.

I...would not hate that at all. Especially since I'm already on record as saying Mitchell's the only CB I would take at 21. I'm telling you all, he's better than either Bama CB or any other in this draft. But if Verse (or even one of the other projected first round edge rushers) is there I still take him over Mitchell. Hal's idea is the perfect solution for that and now I have to try it in multiple mocks to see if it'll actually work cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:26 pm

Usually, in the mocks, it's the Eagles trying to jump up to #21 it seems to me.

I haven't looked at Mitchell too much as he seems to be climbing the draft boards at a speedy rate. Maybe that will change after the combine?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:35 pm

finfanatic wrote:Usually, in the mocks, it's the Eagles trying to jump up to #21 it seems to me.

I haven't looked at Mitchell too much as he seems to be climbing the draft boards at a speedy rate. Maybe that will change after the combine?

First try at PFN: Both Verse and Mitchell are gone by 21. But the Bucs offered me #26 and next year's first Shocked IRL I take that trade down all day every day. Turns out they *really* wanted Bo Nix.

The Cards are the one team that keeps wanting to trade down with me over and over BTW.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 am

Interesting (long) tweet about the Dolphins' CB position. According to this, maybe the Dolphins don't need another corner...although entering the season by "rolling the dice" with some combo of Kohou/Smith/Bonner competing for the #2 boundary corner job seems very risky to me. And Kohou really should not even be in this equation, not as a boundary corner.

I do get the point - we have young players at the position that we can at least try, and limited resources to fill other roster holes. So it does make some sense. Another option: maybe we stand pat at CB through the spring, and then make a move in June once Howard's cap space becomes available and assuming there's still a veteran corner available in free agency or via trade.

Anyway, interesting discussion. A lot will depend on how the draft plays out.

Chris Kouffman
@ckparrot

I'm with the majority who believe the Dolphins and Xavien Howard will part ways. But I think I'm among a minority on what Miami should do about the CB position afterward. Sometimes I think the best move a personnel department can make...is no move at all.

Jalen Ramsey will be entering his second season with his new team. I've always believed even major free agent/trade acquisitions don't come into full blossom until that second year. As a bonus he's going into second year after a major knee injury that threatened to torpedo his first year. That second year is always the year to look for when it comes to a player recovering from major injury.

Particularly after the Vic Fangio experience, I think Miami's new set of coaches will tailor their approach to try and get the most out of guys like Ramsey and Jevon Holland, similar to how the Rams did with Ramsey moving around the secondary under Brandon Staley, and how the Ravens did with Kyle Hamilton at safety during Anthony Weaver's time there. You don't want to get in the way of that. It's the best approach that fits the personnel.

Aside from Ramsey, you have a Kader Kohou who showed major promise and skill in his first year, and then struggled being moved around haphazardly between the slot and perimeter, asking to do things he hadn't had much experience with at Texas A&M Commerce, or in the NFL under Josh Boyer. He had a defensive coordinator who didn't care- if you were a square peg he was still going to shove you into that round hole because that's what he wanted, damnit. I think Miami is going to lengths to avoid this with the new set of defensive coach hires.

You also have a Nik Needham who has proven he can absolutely play in the NFL and do well. He's entering his second year after a major injury, and again that's always the year to watch.

Then there's Cam Smith and Ethan Bonner. They are two relative unknowns. One found himself in the old defensive coordinator's doghouse, perhaps egregiously so, and the other was elevated over him by the end of the year and RAN with his opportunities.

I still think the idea Cam Smith is another Noah Igbinoghene beggars belief. He's too talented, and it's not as if his preseason or camp performances raised significant red flags. Given the chaos and infighting that happened in Miami's secondary under the previous coordinator, I think it's OK to give the man a hindsight redshirt for 2023. He's still a talented 2nd round pick who shouldn't have fallen out of the 1st round.

As for Ethan Bonner, this is a nice bonus for Miami- an insurance policy against Cam Smith, an extra iron in the fire. He had been drawing praise from Tyreek Hill since training camp, got some opportunities against the Jets in Week 15 and the Chiefs in the Wildcard round, and he played WELL. Not well for a rookie, nor well for an undrafted player, just genuinely well. For whatever this may be worth to you, Pro Football Focus gave him a 91.0 grade on defense for his 23 snaps in 2023.

What I think you don't want as a personnel guy is to set up a situation where you're impeding the progress of young players, and/or setting up your star players to not have the opportunity to shine their brightest. I am among those who believe Eli Apple played very bad football for Miami in 2023. I don't see how Cam Smith, Nik Needham, or Ethan Bonner could have been much worse. But he was a guy the old square peg/round hole guy latched onto and played for 624 snaps. Those snaps could have been used to find out more about and/or groom other, more promising players.

When you look at Miami's salary cap situation, you know this is going to be a tough off season. They're going to have a tough enough time just keeping the band together, let alone adding expensive pieces via free agency. And since they don't have 3rd or 4th round picks in the draft, they're going to struggle replacing the players they're probably going to lose (e.g. Xavien Howard, Connor Williams, Terron Armstead, perhaps Christian Wilkins).

This doesn't mean they can't add a Day 3 pick, some UDFAs, or even low-level free agents to the mix at CB. Value plays like that are scratch-off tickets. They're done as a bottom-up investment decision based on the merits of the player, as opposed to a top-down asset allocation decision based on your needs at the position. Bottom-up investments will always happen, as well they should.

I'm just saying this off season will be one where they can't do everything, that from a top-down standpoint they will be forced to gamble at some positions. And I think the CB position is one where they're in good position to roll the dice on what they already have.

9:27 AM · Feb 14, 2024

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:13 am

interesting take. i suppose if your gonna spend the draft resources on a guy like Smith, you should at least try to get something out of him. and if they're gonna treat last season as a lost season under Fangio and wipe the slate clean - then let Weaver and staff come in and watch the practice tapes and decide whether they have something they can work with.

I'm still of the opinion that if a top notch corner is available (and is the BPA) then its a reasonable selection. it doesn't HAVE to be a corner, but also doesn't have to NOT be a corner.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:09 am

Still believe we will end up with more than 6 Picks when the Draft is over. Somebody will come calling for #21 depending on who is Dropping in Draft or a Qb that might still be there.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:51 am

What I got out of that tweet is that constantly moving players around is as stupid as I thought it was years ago when this team was doing the same thing to Minkah. Just let them be good at what they're good at! Also, who's this Ethan Bonner guy??? Never heard of him or saw him mentioned here before scratch

Props to Jmp BTW for at least seeing my side of things cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm

Interesting (long) tweet about the Dolphins' CB position. According to this, maybe the Dolphins don't need another corner...although entering the season by "rolling the dice" with some combo of Kohou/Smith/Bonner competing for the #2 boundary corner job seems very risky to me. And Kohou really should not even be in this equation, not as a boundary corner.

This will be fascinating to watch and see how it plays out.

Here's where I'm at. Every team in the NFL has to play this game to deal with the salary cap. It's a question of where is the highest value at what position and what resources are you dedicating to each roster spot.

Some of the elite positions on defense with highly paid players on projected 2024 roster:
- Corner (Ramsey)
- Safety (Holland - fortunately still on rookie deal)
- Edge (Chubb and Phillips - one rookie deal and both coming off injury)

So, we are faced with a number of risk/reward scenarios in building our 2024 roster. Here are some of the questions:
- Do we pay Wilkins or let him walk in free agency, creating a huge hole we have to fill in the front 7 either with a journeyman (taking a step down) or a draft pick (huge uncertainty).
- Same question at corner. I think we are all assuming Howard is gone, based on no more guaranteed money in the contract, the addition of Ramsey, and the state of our salary cap.
- Are we happy with our linebackers? I'm making an educated guess that's a big NO. IMO it's highly possible this is the area Weaver highlighted in his interview that very much impressed the leadership of our team. To address that position, could be a combination of free agents and draft picks, but feels to me like multiple players will be added and probably a new "template" around what we are looking for at the position.

We could be looking at some significant money spent to address keeping Wilkins, revamping the linebacker core, and adding pass rush help given there's very little chance Chubb and Phillips suit up for game 1, or that they will be at all effective until later in the year.

Are we going to put MORE assets into replacing Howard? Or is it better to say let's roll with Smith, Bonner, Kohou competing at boundary with Needham penciled in playing nickel where he's proven he can play well. None (including Needham) will be expensive.

Remember, the more money we invest on defense, the less we have to upgrade the offensive line, sign a tight end that can be a blocker and a better seam threat, or bolster our WR depth. All of which is just as important - if not more important - than beefing up the holes on defense.

Statistically the defense was pretty good last season. However, we all saw a number of coverage busts which HAS to be a combination of complex scheme and the implementation by our coaching staff. I do not believe the release of Renaldo Hill and Sam Madison is an accident. Two key coaches in coordinating defense in the passing game and secondary.

The team is expecting Weaver and his staff to do a better job with the talent on the roster. Given where we are financially, I do not envision a huge spending spree to bring in blue chip players all over the defense it just isn't feasible. There are going to be position groups where we have to accept some risk and project the younger, unproven players on our roster earning starting spots. If it goes south during training camp, we will see some late offseason FA additions like we did when Ramsey got hurt.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:26 pm

DF316 - Bonner came in late and made some plays. I guess Fangio liked him or he knew how to play zone. He had a couple of really good pass defenses.

W1 - Outstanding post - Well articulated the situation and the challenges Grier is going to have to handle.

finskev wrote:Still believe we will end up with more than 6 Picks when the Draft is over. Somebody will come calling for #21 depending on who is Dropping in Draft or a Qb that might still be there.

From your keyboard to the Draft God's ear (and Grier's ear too although I think when it comes to the draft, Grier is extremely hard of hearing!!)

It would be very nice to trade down lower into the 1st and get an extra 2nd and a 3rd maybe... Some of those teams that need a QB but are picking too high to take a Nix or McCarthy may just look to jump back up into the lower 1st.

Mitchell is a good CB no doubt, but I tend to agree with the posted Tweet in JMP's post above. I would ride with the guys the Phins have and maybe add a lower round CB to the mix. If it works out, it works out, if not... They can always get Eli Apple back I guess!  Shocked     Very Happy  

I would set up an open competition in camp and let Smith, Kohou, Bonner, Needham, and others battle it out for the spot opposite Ramsey.

After a few mocks where I prioritize different positions I think the Phins could get some nice DB prospects with any of the lower round picks. It may not be a starter, but a cheap backup who can play special teams and come in when needed and not totally suck is incredibly valuable also. And may eventually develop into a starter. A 2nd round pick like Cam Smith really should have played far more than he did. We are left to hope it was only Fangio's bias that kept Smith from playing more.

Here is a list by some website (BNB Football) who ranks each position. This rankings will change depending on who you ask.

I have started the list with #11. Occasionally, in a mock, Newton is available at #156, but usually not. Same for Kjyree Jackson. If one of them is there at #156, I usually take them unless I have taken Mitchell with the #21.
11 Josh Newton TCU
12 Khyree Jackson Oregon
13 Dwight McGlothern Arkansas - I like this guy but his rankings are all over the board.
14 Mike Sainristil Michigan
15 Cam Hart Notre Dame - Usually gone by #156
16 Kris Abrams-Draine - This guy was a ball hawk so much so that some teams would never throw in his direction! He usually is gone by #156 though
17 Caelen Carson Wake Forest - This guy is a solid 2nd rounder in most mocks I see.
18 Tarheeb Still Maryland
19 Nehemiah Pritchett Auburn - A decent CB. The Phins history with Auburn CBs though... Still it ain't a #1 pick so...
20 Deantre Prince Ole Miss
21 Jahdae Barron Texas
22 Myles Harden South Dakota
23 DJ James Auburn - Most places I have seen have James rated above Pritchett. He's usually goes in the 2nd round. He's good but sorta thin.
24 Storm Duck Louisville - Best name ever.
25 Kamal Hadden Tennessee - He's usually available at #185
26 Ryan Watts Texas
27 Willie Drew Virginia State
28 Elijah Jones Boston College
29 Johnny Dixon Penn State
30 Renardo Green Florida State - I see him listed as a Safety sometimes too.
31 Miles Battle Utah
32 Beanie Bishop West Virginia
33 Malik Dunlap Texas Tech
34 Christian Roland-Wallace USC
35 Andru Phillips Kentucky
36 AJ Woods Pittsburgh
37 Jarvis Brownlee Louisville - After the Senior Bowl, he is rising in the rankings
38 Sheridan Jones Clemson
39 MJ Devonshire Pittsburgh
40 Ro Torrence Arizona State- Big DB
41 Shyheim Battle NC State
42 Ja'Quan Sheppard Maryland Big DB
43 Marcellas Dial South Carolina Big DB
44 Josh Wallace Michigan
45 Zamari Walton Ole Miss Big DB
46 Chau Smith-Wade Washington State - He did some good things at the SR Bowl.
47 Jarius MonroeTulane
48 Quinton Newsome Nebraska
49 Decamerion Richardson Mississippi State
50 Jaden Davis Miami (FL) - Some of you Miami fans... Is this guy any good?
51 Qwan'tez Stiggers Toronto (CFL)
52 Josh DeBerry Texas A&M
53 Jarrian Jones Florida State - If I have not taken a CB I use the Phins #238 on this guy.
54 Devin Haskins Holy Cross
55 Kendall Bohler Florida A&M
56 Myles Sims Georgia Tech
57 Al Blades Jr. Duke
58 Daequan Hardy Penn State - Rated much higher than this on some sites.
59 Nohl Williams California
60 Micah Abraham Marshall
61 Myles Jones Duke
62 Charles Woods SMU
63 Decorian Patterson UCF
64 Reddy Steward Troy
65 Noah Tumblin San Diego State
66 Chigozie Anusiem Colorado State
67 Jayden Price North Dakota State
68 Gabe Jeudy-Lally Tennessee - Jeudy-Jeudy-Jeudy (said in my best Cary Grant impression) And then you get a Lally too!! Very Happy
69 Carlton Johnson Fresno State
70 Rayshad Williams Texas Tech
71 Eddie Heckard BYU
72 Montre Miller West Virginia
73 AJ Hampton Tulane
74 Willie Roberts Louisiana Tech
75 Trey Vaval Minnesota State

Somewhere in there, there HAS TO BE at least one player who could help the Phins in the secondary and not cost them a 1st or 2nd round pick? Right? RIGHT?  Laughing

And I stopped at #75. The list has 163 on it!!

BNB CB Listing

I am thinking some of these guys will be available as UDFAs also. Maybe the Phins could pull a few Kohous out of here?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:40 pm

Hwell hwell hwell...it seems like my case about this team not needing to spend a high pick at CB is getting stronger not just by the day but by the hour. And that's what's REALLY important here. Wink

And yes, that was what I've come to expect from a peerless paragon of perpetually prescient posting such as white1. I just didn't want to gush about it too much and seem like a fanboi (even though I kinda am). 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 1f60d 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 1f60d 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 1f60d

Also, he might start getting a swelled head and if anybody knows about the perils and pitfalls of going down that rough and rocky road, it's me Razz

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:24 pm

Well, there is a difference in what we magnificent and prescient posters think and what Grier actually thinks, so expect him to pick a CB at #21 and he'll have the same sort of impact on the Phins as Iggy!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP, DolFan 316 and 61finfan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:32 pm

Outstanding posts by white and FF! Great job, guys! I appreciate the time you both put into your posts! cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:37 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Hwell hwell hwell...it seems like my case about this team not needing to spend a high pick at CB is getting stronger not just by the day but by the hour. And that's what's REALLY important here. Wink  

And yes, that was what I've come to expect from a peerless paragon of perpetually prescient posting such as white1. I just didn't want to gush about it too much and seem like a fanboi (even though I kinda am).  2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 1f60d  2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 1f60d  2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority - Page 2 1f60d

Also, he might start getting a swelled head and if anybody knows about the perils and pitfalls of going down that rough and rocky road, it's me Razz  

I think we've all agreed from the start that using a first round pick on a CB is not a 'must do it' situation. But the position is still a need, and if the right corner falls to us at 21 (or wherever we end up picking first) it would not at all be a mistake to take him. I think that's where we differ here - you seem to be completely against taking a first round corner, while I consider it one of several positions that could be strong (and wise) possibilities in round one.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:10 pm

Why is nobody out there talking about how much the cap will increase, and how that's likely not even been factored into every team's current cap situation? Am I missing something? scratch

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm for a Wilkins tag and trade. I just wish I could feel confident about this team not screwing it up.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:47 pm

Next Week at the Combine the Salary Cap should be finalized between Owners and Union with Rumors saying it will now be closer to 250 million than the 243 Million that has been floating around. Every Penny More will help our situation.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:57 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Why is nobody out there talking about how much the cap will increase, and how that's likely not even been factored into every team's current cap situation? Am I missing something? scratch

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm for a Wilkins tag and trade. I just wish I could feel confident about this team not screwing it up.  

Yes, I just heard about the expected cap increase. So we should be somewhere around $44 million over if that happens.

I'd say there's zero possibility of franchising Wilkins. Doing so would tie up $21 million in cap space - meaning that instead of having to free up $44 million in cap space, we'd have to free up about $65 million in cap space. It just wouldn't make sense. And franchise tag trades rarely happen. We'd probably be lucky to get a 3rd in a trade, because no team is trading a 1st and then also paying him a colossal new contract.

Best bet: hope to sign him to a long-term deal before free agency begins. If not, he walks and we hopefully get a 3rd round compensatory pick next offseason.

And BTW - Chris Kouffman suggested that if the Dolphins let some of their free agents walk and can reasonably expect to get comp picks in 2025, they might then turn around and trade 2025 picks to move around this draft. For example, if Wilkins walks they can trade a 2025 3rd rounder this offseason - knowing that they'll get one back in the form of a comp pick for losing Wilkins. Definitely makes sense, and gives us some flexibility in the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:28 am

JMP: Trading picks is what has gotten the Phins into the "shape" they are in IMO. For good or bad. Better than being a rotten stinker of a team, but to get out of this mess, IMO, Grier needs to keep his picks and DRAFT EXTRA WELL!

I would dearly love to see the Phins with a 3rd and 4th rounder. In this draft and next years as well!!

I doubt it is likely with Grier at the helm though.

(sigh)

Neutral
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:48 pm

finfanatic wrote:JMP: Trading picks is what has gotten the Phins into the "shape" they are in IMO. For good or bad. Better than being a rotten stinker of a team, but to get out of this mess, IMO, Grier needs to keep his picks and DRAFT EXTRA WELL!

I would dearly love to see the Phins with a 3rd and 4th rounder. In this draft  and next years as well!!

I doubt it is likely with Grier at the helm though.

(sigh)

Neutral

But that's the point: if you know you're going to get, say, a 4th round comp pick in 2025, it makes it less painful to trade your original 4th from 2025. You'd still have a 2025 4th, and now you're also gaining something else in 2024. I'm not saying I want the Phins to do that - just pointing out that losing some of our own free agents and gaining 2025 comp picks gives us flexibility to make trades on draft weekend if needed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:05 am

Oh I agree about the comp picks and if Grier uses the trade up wisely to get a player who actually is good.

The thing about comp picks though: They are actually just a high pick for the round below where the NFL assigns them.

A 3rd rounder is actually at the end of the 3rd round. A 4th rounder is at the end of the 4th round. So in effect, if you trade the 3rd rounder in 2025 and get back a pick that is ten or eleven spots lower, you have lost some draft value there.

Also, as you and others have pointed out, there is no telling how the NFL will award the compensatory picks?

The Dolphins need to build through the draft. As long as they get some good, cheap on the cap, players who start or contribute at the very least even as a backup for a year or two, I am good with whatever moves are made.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:35 am

finfanatic wrote:Oh I agree about the comp picks and if Grier uses the trade up wisely to get a player who actually is good.

The thing about comp picks though: They are actually just a high pick for the round below where the NFL assigns them.

A 3rd rounder is actually at the end of the 3rd round. A 4th rounder is at the end of the 4th round. So in effect, if you trade the 3rd rounder in 2025 and get back a pick that is ten or eleven spots lower, you have lost some draft value there.

Also, as you and others have pointed out, there is no telling how the NFL will award the compensatory picks?

The Dolphins need to build through the draft. As long as they get some good, cheap on the cap, players who start or contribute at the very least even as a backup for a year or two, I am good with whatever moves are made.

Yep, but regardless a comp pick is still a pick...and allows us to use 2025 picks now while still having picks in 2025. We can still build through the draft in this scenario.

Teams know how comp picks are awarded, and they can plan accordingly. The formula is stupid and is a mystery to fans, but teams are well aware of what to expect.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:21 pm

I jumped back in here and wanted to look at where the Phins are with their own Free Agents.

Here is my druthers on who should be signed back "furstest and mostests"!

One - AVG - Still hasn't changed but it just seems like the new DC is not wanting AVG back???

OneA - OT Lamm - Got to have that backup LT IMO.

OneB - If the deal is a good one for the Phins - RG Robert Hunt. I am kinda/sorta in agreement with Merc that Hunt is not exactly what McD is looking for in a OG scheme-wise, but you cannot be weak up the middle of the Oline!!

Two - RaeKwon Davis - Be nice to have at least one NT on the team. Even if ain't the stud the Phins hoped they were getting, he is a big ol'space-eater for sure.

Three - OG Wynn - Hi ain't great and if often injured, so... But he did a good job at LG and the Phins sure missed him when he was out. Of course, the original backup LG was Eichenberg, so, that's understandable. Rolling Eyes

Four - S Deshon Elliot - I don't know if Weaver is interested, but he can play a lot of roles in the defensive backfield.

FIVE - OC Connor Williams - I really believe he is gone and the knee injury means he will not be back for awhile, but on a team friendly deal, sure...

SIX - Cracraft - Yeah, but he is sneaky good and should be fully healthy to start the year.

SIXA - Berrios - He started out like he was gonna be just what the Phins ordered and then it all went to shyte somehow... A good re-sgin as he is a dependable KR/PR too.

Seven - DT Da'Shawn Hand - Nice developmental DT who showed some upside. Be a nice to have in camp anyway IMO.

The Phins have already re-upped Robert Jones and I saw it and screeched "That's the wrong OLinemen named Robert you should have re-signed!!"

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next