The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo

3 posters

Go down

Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo Empty Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo

Post by JMP Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:53 am

NBC Sports wrote: ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Patriots hired linebackers coach Jerod Mayo as the team’s head coach.
A succession plan was firmly in place for Mayo, who had become one of the league’s most trusted defensive assistants in the final years of Bill Belichick’s run as head coach. Belichick on Thursday parted ways with the Pats and the team took little time to make the move to Mayo, 37, who played linebacker for New England from 2008 to 2015. The Patriots could hire Mayo without interviewing other candidates because of specific language in his contract detailing a succession plan post-Belichick. Mayo will take over a team with one of the NFL’s worst offensive personnel and a strong defense. The Patriots have the third pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

13m ago

Source: Adam Schefter

I remember hearing awhile back that Mayo was thought to be Belichick's successor, but I assumed they were going to go with an offensive coach given that their offense is non-existent. It'll be interesting to see how a young defensive coach will handle whatever QB they draft at #3.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo Empty Re: Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:31 pm

Seems like I heard the Texans wanted him, but Kraft was said to have promised him the HC job when Belichick left?

I kind of agree with some talking head I heard that said that maybe the Pats need to do a total housecleaning and get rid of everything and anything touched by Belichick? That Belichick's ways worked for him, but he is out of touch with the modern NFL?

But we shall see?
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo Empty Re: Patriots new head coach: Jerod Mayo

Post by JMP Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:40 pm

finfanatic wrote:Seems like I heard the Texans wanted him, but Kraft was said to have promised him the HC job when Belichick left?

I kind of agree with some talking head I heard that said that maybe the Pats need to do a total housecleaning and get rid of everything and anything touched by Belichick? That Belichick's ways worked for him, but he is out of touch with the modern NFL?

But we shall see?

Seems really odd to me to dump Belichock and then replace him with...a guy that played under Belichick for 8 years and then coached under him for another 5 years. Since leaving college, Mayo has ONLY been around the Patriots. I'm therefore assuming that his philosophy is at least consistent with that of Belichick and all his other (failed) coaching disciples.

Seems like just replacing Belichick with a younger version - and one that has no head coaching experience and no Tom Brady.

If Mayo also relies on the dinosaur "Patriots Way", this isn't going to end well. Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:01 am

Mayo is not going to be in charge of personnel though, so...
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:54 am

finfanatic wrote:Mayo is not going to be in charge of personnel though, so...

That's true. We'll see...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:39 am

Belichick's mistakes in recent years had to do with staffing and poor personnel decisions. And the latter started the last couple of years Brady was there.

He might well we within one season of the all time record if he'd make it work out with Brady and let him retire as a Patriot. As it is, I'm not sure he can get there at all before 2026. He's been downright Wannstedtian these past few years.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 pm

Mayo is saying he wants his asst coaches to be able to offer their views
and not always agree with him.

Apparently, the bunch Belichick had around him the last couple of years he told them it was the highway or my way. He would listen to coaches like Weiss and McDaniel, but not so much with the guys lately.

If nothing else, that should be a lesson for all new coaches IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down