The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month

+4
JEGnj
finfanatic
JMP
mercury22nathan
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month Empty Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:40 am

The Dolphins have less than a month to decide what to do. And then must make some other serious decisions shortly thereafter.

Miami must decide by March 5 whether to place the $19.8 million franchise tag on him. But with the Dolphins $51 million over the cap, they would need to clear out $71 million in space by March 13 to use the tag on him.

A long-term deal would lower his 2024 cap number but could average in the $18 million to $22 million range.

Though general manager Chris Grier reported that Wilkins’ camp thought their offer was fair last summer, SI.com reported that Wilkins felt “lowballed” and intends to play “hardball” with the team and won’t report to camp if he’s given the franchise tag.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article284367939.html

i think his "hold in" last year was a shot across the bow. i think things could get real ugly if Miami doesn't pony up the huge contract.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month Empty Re: Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month

Post by JMP Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:56 am

Usually these contract disputes come down to guaranteed money. The team can get creative and add some easily-reachable incentives that will increase the total value of the contract. I could be totally wrong, but I am confident that we'll have both Wilkins and Tua signed before the start of the league season.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month Empty Re: Wilkins (and other) decisions looming in a month

Post by finfanatic Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:13 am

I wonder...

This looks like a draft with some excellent prospects on the D Line. There is no assurance that a draft pick is going to be good of course, but when you are over the cap, and have not locked up the potential franchise QB, you have to make some hard decisions.

We may look back on this 2024 off season as the one that made or broke the Miami Dolphins under the current regime IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:14 am

finfanatic wrote:I wonder...

This looks like a draft with some excellent prospects on the D Line. There is no assurance that a draft pick is going to be good of course, but when you are over the cap, and have not locked up the potential franchise QB, you have to make some hard decisions.

We may look back on this 2024 off season as the one that made or broke the Miami Dolphins under the current regime IMO.

I've been thinking the same thing, but ultimately I think it makes sense to keep Wilkins given that we are in 'win now' mode. But then again - a DT like Jer'Zhan Newton or Darius Robinson would be a nice consolation prize at a fraction of the cost.

I definitely agree that this is a key offseason for the franchise. They need to find a way to get to the next level.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:30 am

JMP wrote:I've been thinking the same thing, but ultimately I think it makes sense to keep Wilkins given that we are in 'win now' mode.

Absolutely, and I think that is the determining factor. If this were 2019, I think they make calculated moves looking to build into the future (like the Tunsil trade). But this is 5 years later and I don’t think there is any incentive for the current regime to not think about making moves for the here and (win) now (there time is running out). If they hand out long term big money deals and the Dolphins end up getting a Rams-esque Super Bowl victory, then great – and we’ll all be happy. But if it doesn’t work, it won’t matter to the current regime cause they won’t be here to have to deal with the financial mess they’ve made. That will be the responsibility of the next crew in charge.

With some cuts and renegotiated deals kicking the can down the road, Miami can certainly keep Wilkins and extend Tua – and there is no reason for the current regime not to do it as they won’t be the ones having to pay the bills when they come due. And it might be the right thing to do anyway – those guys just might live up to those deals.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:45 pm

I love Salt and Pepper and want another 2 or 3 years of them in Miami. Wilkins in the leader on D but if they do extend him he needs to refocus that position as leader. There won't be cameras next year but the focus needs to be 200% on winning and finishing instead of what celebration to do.
Tua I am so stuck on. He is the best QB since Marino and pretty much on of the only one I rooted for besides Griese and Henne. I am hoping he can turn into a QB that leads of to a SB but he despite this season #'s he ain't there.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP, DolFan 316 and CarsonChris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:15 pm

JEGnj wrote:I love Salt and Pepper and want another 2 or 3 years of them in Miami. Wilkins in the leader on D but if they do extend him he needs to refocus that position as leader. There won't be cameras next year but the focus needs to be 200% on winning and finishing instead of what celebration to do.
Tua I am so stuck on. He is the best QB since Marino and pretty much on of the only one I rooted for besides Griese and Henne. I am hoping he can turn into a QB that leads of to a SB but he despite this season #'s he ain't there.

The Tua Situation is even more complicated than that. Let's say the team actually lets him walk. Even then there's no guarantee they'll ever be picking high enough to draft The Man at QB because of their uncanny knack for being awful while still winning just enough NOT to have a top 1-3 pick. And if they did the league would just punish them for "tanking" again and take the pick away. And even if that didn't happen and they somehow did manage to get the #1-3 pick, they'd just screw it up anyway.

But the alternative is to wreck the cap paying a QB we already suspect isn't good enough, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy in which the rest of the team really IS never good enough to ever win a playoff game let alone a title.

It's a different kind of purgatory than the seemingly endless 6-8 win cycle they got stuck in during the 2010s, but being just good enough to not be good enough might actually be a worse level of it because it gives fans endless false hope.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:09 am

Should the talks continue to hit a wall, with Wilkins and his camp wanting a certain dollar figure, the Dolphins and general manager Chris Grier have an ace up their sleeve in that franchise tag.

Now, there are different types of franchise tags, which carry very important distinctions. An “exclusive” franchise tag means that the player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player’s position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, whichever number is greater. When tagged as an exclusive franchise player, the player can’t negotiate with other teams. The player’s team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.

On the other side of the coin, a “non-exclusive” franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player’s position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, whichever is greater.

Non-exclusive franchise players have the ability to negotiate with other teams, but if the player does sign an offer from another franchise, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer or make the decision not to match and part with the player, which would entitle them to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/11/dolphins-impotant-dates-nfl-2024/

what would you rather have... Wilkins and a huge contract albeit a foundational building block of the defense - or - two 1st round picks should a team be willing (as they would be required) to part with them?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:26 am

finfanatic wrote:I wonder...

This team has been broken since Grier has been running the drafts. Sure, he occasionally gets a pick right but more often than not he drafts more failures and mediocre players. This team is broken and Grier keeps fixing it with bandaids(FA).  If we ever want to compete for a Superbowl then the team needs to be built through the draft.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:07 am

mercury22nathan wrote:what would you rather have...  Wilkins and a huge contract albeit a foundational building block of the defense - or - two 1st round picks should a team be willing (as they would be required) to part with them?

I'll take the two firsts, please Very Happy And furthermore, if that means two extra firsts in THIS draft, then I have no problem taking Murphy (but still not Sweat that high). Even Taylor from Miami would be in play.

I cannot remember the last time any team actually gave up that price for somebody who wasn't a QB though scratch

After what I heard about how Chris Jones played in the Super Bowl, I get the feeling Wilkins will be asking for even MORE than he already was! affraid affraid affraid

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:12 am

CarsonChris wrote:This team has been broken since Grier has been running the drafts. Sure, he occasionally gets a pick right but more often than not he drafts more failures and mediocre players. This team is broken and Grier keeps fixing it with bandaids(FA).  If we ever want to compete for a Superbowl then the team needs to be built through the draft.

That *was* the plan until the Tyreek Trade two years ago. Up until then Grier vowed not to throw big money at FAs and Build Through The Draft instead. Then he discovered he could just trade multiple picks for players and give them lots of money that way, and the last two drafts have been hot garbage burning in a dumpster fire except for Achane who might be one of those guys who always misses half a season. Evil or Very Mad

The sad part is, Grier actually thinks he's being smart by doing this since he doesn't have to bid against other teams Rolling Eyes

DolFan 316

CarsonChris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I cannot remember the last time any team actually gave up that price for somebody who wasn't a QB though scratch

wasn't it Tunsil?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:29 am

I doubt ANY TEAM is willing to pay what Wilkins is going to ask for AND give up two firsts for him.

I would hate to see Wilkins go, but after doing the "maff" I just don't see how the Phins are going to come out of this smelling like a rose. Unless they do not lock up Tua long term?

And if they do apply a tag, they would have had to clear up at least that much cap space, correct? Another 25 mill or so atop Tua's 24 mill cap hit this year??

40 to 50 mill over right now? So they would need to free up 65 to 75 mill JUST to apply a tag to Wilkins, right?

Yep, Grier has free-agented and traded draft picks to the point the few good to very good draft picks he did manage to acquire, he is not going to be able to keep IMO.

We shall see, but at this point, it is not looking too good IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:43 pm

I would rather have Wilkins than tag him (putting us even more in the hole with cap space) and hope that some team wants to give up multiple firsts for him (which won't happen anyway).

Ultimately, we'll be able to sign both Wilkins and Tua by maneuvering the cap. We have tons of flexibility and will be able to make the necessary moves to get under the cap AND have spending money.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:23 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I cannot remember the last time any team actually gave up that price for somebody who wasn't a QB though scratch

wasn't it Tunsil?

Nope.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TunsLa00.htm

September 1, 2019: Traded by Dolphins with 2020 4th round pick (111th overall subsequently traded , Solomon Kindley), 2021 6th round pick (202nd overall subsequently traded , Chris Evans) and Kenny Stills to Texans for 2020 1st round pick (26th overall subsequently traded , Jordan Love), 2021 1st round pick (3rd overall subsequently traded , Trey Lance), 2021 2nd round pick (36th overall, Jevon Holland), Johnson Bademosi and Julie'n Davenport

I don't remember that trade being that late but unlike the mainstream media PFR doesn't blatantly lie, so...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:25 pm

JMP wrote:I would rather have Wilkins than tag him (putting us even more in the hole with cap space) and hope that some team wants to give up multiple firsts for him (which won't happen anyway).

Ultimately, we'll be able to sign both Wilkins and Tua by maneuvering the cap.  We have tons of flexibility and will be able to make the necessary moves to get under the cap AND have spending money.

I'll see it when I believe it. No, that's not a typo. Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
This team has been broken since Grier has been running the drafts.

This is the most successful 4-season stretch the Dolphins have had in 2 decades. We may not be satisfied or happy with the final results of those 4 seasons, but 4 winning seasons in a row, with 2 straight playoff appearances, is hardly "broken".

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:15 pm

JMP wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:

This is the most successful 4-season stretch the Dolphins have had in 2 decades. We may not be satisfied or happy with the final results of those 4 seasons, but 4 winning seasons in a row, with 2 straight playoff appearances, is hardly "broken".
Depends how you look at it. 1-6 against playoff teams. The car is still driving but the check engine light is blazing! 

We are in cap hell. We don't have a full slate of draft picks. The QB puts up huge stats against 9 of the ten worst teams and thinks those stats mean he should get paid top five money. The offensive line needs 2-3 new starters. The defense is starting a new system and they aren't sure who will be ready or back this year. It looks like our schedule isn't as patty cake as last year!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:28 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
JMP wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:

Depends how you look at it. 1-6 against playoff teams. The car is still driving but the check engine light is blazing! 

We are in cap hell. We don't have a full slate of draft picks. The QB puts up huge stats against 9 of the ten worst teams and thinks those stats mean he should get paid top five money. The offensive line needs 2-3 new starters. The defense is starting a new system and they aren't sure who will be ready or back this year. It looks like our schedule isn't as patty cake as last year!

But we're not in cap hell. There are several easy moves we can make to get under the cap. It's really not a big deal. And every team in the NFL needs to rebuild their roster each offseason. The Dolphins are no different.

Again, things didn't end the way we all wanted, but this isn't a team that is at the bottom of the barrel fighting for the #1 pick in the draft. We were one of the top teams in the NFL most of the season, and that's with backup OL playing 44% of the offense's snaps. Continue to grow on offense, add a couple of key pieces and STAY HEALTHY, and I think we'll be right in the mix again next season.

I'd also argue that the 2024 schedule looks easier on paper than this season's did - but of course it is too soon to tell.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:11 am

JMP wrote:
I'd also argue that the 2024 schedule looks easier on paper than this season's did - but of course it is too soon to tell.

I just looked it up: our 2024 schedule is the 7th easiest in the league based on 2023 records. Our opponents' winning percentage is .488.

Big difference from last year: entering the 2023 season, we had the 2nd toughest schedule in the league. Our opponents' winning percentage was .554.

Again, this ultimately means nothing now but it is still pretty interesting to see the difference.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am

still no definitive action on this, but...

With the league’s window to place a franchise tag opening on Tuesday, ESPN’s Dan Graziano reported on Wednesday that the Dolphins will likely lean that way if they can’t come to a long-term deal.

“The Dolphins don’t plan to let Christian Wilkins leave, and if that means franchising him, that’s likely what they’ll do,” Graziano said on NFL Live. “The problem is the Dolphins are in pretty big cap trouble. As of right now, they’re projected to be $50 million or more over the cap once that cap is finally settled, and they would have to clear that much room just to get under the cap. And, if they tag Wilkins, they have to clear another $20-21 million to get him under the cap. So, [the Dolphins have] a lot of work to do before they can do that. They might be better off signing him long-term before the window ends.”

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/21/dolphins-christian-wilkins-franchise-tag-leaving-miami/

of course i believe Wilkins' camp has supposedly threatened a holdout if he is franchised, so we'll see. hopefully a deal will (or even can) get done.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:18 am

I'm pretty sure Dan Graziano has no inside knowledge of the Dolphins and that this is pure speculation. I don't see any way the Phins can use the franchise tag on Wilkins - it's just too much money to tie up and doesn't even seem possible.

That said, I continue to believe that the Phins will sign Wilkins before he officially hits free agency.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 pm

Well... I went to the OTC Over the Cap website Umix posted and played with the Phins cap some.... If they cut Ogbah, Wilson and restructure a lot of players, they can get the cap money to tag Wilkins. It's not going to leave much room for a Tua extension though.

I am afraid this is going to be one of those seasons where the "WTF!" and "WTH!" and "Shiites!" keep coming for Phins Phans as they see what happens to some players they think the Phins should keep.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:44 pm

finfanatic wrote:Well... I went to the OTC Over the Cap website Umix posted and played with the Phins cap some.... If they cut Ogbah, Wilson and restructure a lot of players, they can get the cap money to tag Wilkins. It's not going to leave much room for a Tua extension though.

I am afraid this is going to be one of those seasons where the "WTF!" and "WTH!" and "Shiites!" keep coming for Phins Phans as they see what happens to some players they think the Phins should keep.

Sure, in theory it is possible to use the franchise tag - but in reality, it will require way too much shuffling.

BTW, Ogbah is sort of an interesting situation. He's obviously getting cut, we know that. Cutting him now gives us $13.7 million in cap space, but a $4 million dead cap hit. Designating him a post-June 1 cut gives us $15.7 million in cap space and only a $2 million dead cap hit. The difference of course is that we get no cap relief till June 2 with a post-June 1 designation. Given the urgent need to get under ASAP, I think they'll just cut him now even though it is for less cap space.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:52 pm

Ogbah was a goner if Fangio were still here.

Fact is, he can still play DE and rush the passer... and that's a position where we have big problems with Phillips and Chubb coming off injury.

IMO would not be a bad idea to keep him, either restructure his deal to save $$$ or look for the money elsewhere. With his contract, I would think you could add a year or two, give him some money upfront, and drop his cap hit for 2024 way down...

white1
white1

JMP and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next