The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Bowl thread

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Super Bowl thread Empty Super Bowl thread

Post by JMP Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:31 pm

Figured I'd start a Super Bowl thread in case anyone wants to discuss anything related.

I haven't followed any of the pre-game hype, news, interviews, etc. at all, so I don't know what the big storylines are heading into the weekend.

Anyway, I think it' a really good matchup and I think it will be a close game. I never root for the AFC, so I'm hoping for a 49ers win. But I am expecting a Chiefs win. Mahomes is just too good, and that defense seems to have answers for any team they play.

I am just watching the game with my wife and daughter - no party or anything like that. Planning on my usual Super Bowl menu: chips, pretzels, peanuts, onion dip, shrimp cocktail, wings and later on I'll make guacamole and a Mexican pizza (vegetarian). And plenty of Bloody Marys and beer!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Super Bowl thread Empty Re: Super Bowl thread

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:26 pm

The Chiefs actually have a much more severe injury situation than the media wants people to know. But there has never been a time when the actual game itself has been more irrelevant. This Super Bowl is ALL about Taylor Swift advancing the woke agenda, and anyone who watches will be reminded endlessly of that fact.

I have also been told that not only will Swift be fast-tracked there from Japan in a way that no other person on the planet would be allowed to, but she will be flashing certain occult hand signs specifically designed to subconsciously impact all who see them in a very negative way. This is by design from the same people behind the plandemic, BLM, the rigged presidential "election", the alphabet soup crowd uprising in support of pedophilia, and now the sudden rash of terrorist support and Jewish hate. They are EXTREMELY aware of the anti-woke backlash that began last year and keeps picking up steam, and are determined to stop it by any means necessary, and they will not be ignored.

And yes, this crowd engages in literal demonic worship, including rituals involving child sacrifice. I wish I was making this up. They're using Swift as their latest, desperate attempt to gain/keep their influence over the masses.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:41 am

Looks like I was right...sort of. Swift was smart enough to have somebody else named "Ice Spice" who I literally never heard of before flash the demonic hand signs while wearing a universaly recognized satanic cross so her good girl image wouldn't get sullied even though only her mind controlled fans even see her as that anymore.

https://meaww.com/taylor-swifts-demonic-gang-overshadows-super-bowl-lviii-ice-spices-satanic-upside-down-cross-sparks-outrage

My man Purdy gave it his best shot but the evil empire won anyway. At leas they had to earn it but still...it doesn't bode well for humanity going forward. Not well at all. Looks like the anti-wokeness backlash started too late as I feared. The way people felt about it last year is how they should've been feeling way back in 2016 when the dark ones started their serious takeover attempt, got denied by Trump (barely) and vowed to leave nothing to chance the next time. Just not enough people rising up in 2020-22 when they had the chance.

If you think this was just a football game, IDK what to tell you Crying or Very sad The one parallel I can make is when Super Bowl III ushered in the age of American societal decadence for good with the Jets, who represented everything about it coming out on top. Both the Jets and Chiefs even had old coaches who got caught up in the movements when they should've known better.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 am

A few of things:

One - I was struck by the difference in the Chiefs and Dolphins -
a. The defense was outstanding... if they had just a tad more pass rush..
but the secondary played about as well as you can in today's "do not touch him" passing rules. The Phins have got to fix the secondary somehow...
b. Of course, the Oline - They had problems handling San Frans D line, but they did give Mahommes room to maneuver and escape. I will point out again, how stupendously right I was about Trey Smith! The Phins desperately need to find a "Trey Smith" themselves IMO.
c. Mahommes - I have heard him say he is not there yet when he can go to the LOS and actually recognize everything the D is trying to do to confuse and bewilder him, but if he ain't he is darn close! Off script, solo-decisions, improvisation... It's hard to judge Tua when the Olines he has been playing behind suck dead babboon-arse IMO, but he HAS TO (maybe McD?) be able to adjust to different defensive schemes and keep the wheels on the offense!
d. The Chiefs trade Tyreek and suddenly are back to back SB champs?? They lose one of the best WRs in the game and get better? Does this mean building an offense, and focusing the gameplan around, one WR is probably not a good idea? Perhaps?
d. Man for man, the 49ers are probably much more talented than the Chiefs IMO. But the 49ers lost? Why? Coaching IMHO. Kyle Shanahan may be a wonder in the regular season, but in the big games, when it matters most, he makes some surprisingly dumb calls IMO. With the new OT rules, you want the ball second, not first you dingaling!! Also, something you should have learned from the last SB OT you blew, Kyle: RUN THE D@MN BALL!! Just to point out, McD comes from this Shanhan coaching tree.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:05 am

love the look of Momma Kelce's face...

Super Bowl thread GettyImages-1996270375-1140x759

"Taylor honey, i know you're dating my son, but could you and your stupid friends just sit down so i can watch the game."

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:09 am

oh, and i had 5 different flavors of wings, spinach artichoke dip, Miller High Life and Evan Williams splashed with Canada Dry...in case anybody was wondering.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:44 am

mercury22nathan wrote:oh, and i had 5 different flavors of wings, spinach artichoke dip, Miller High Life and Evan Williams splashed with Canada Dry...in case anybody was wondering.

Outstanding, merc!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 am

finfanatic wrote:A few of things:

One - I was struck by the difference in the Chiefs and Dolphins -
a. The defense was outstanding... if they had just a tad more pass rush..
but the secondary played about as well as you can in today's "do not touch him" passing rules. The Phins have got to fix the secondary somehow...
b. Of course, the Oline - They had problems handling San Frans D line, but they did give Mahommes room to maneuver and escape. I will point out again, how stupendously right I was about Trey Smith! The Phins desperately need to find a "Trey Smith" themselves IMO.
c. Mahommes - I have heard him say he is not there yet when he can go to the LOS and actually recognize everything the D is trying to do to confuse and bewilder him, but if he ain't he is darn close! Off script, solo-decisions, improvisation... It's hard to judge Tua when the Olines he has been playing behind suck dead babboon-arse IMO, but he HAS TO (maybe McD?) be able to adjust to different defensive schemes and keep the wheels on the offense!
d. The Chiefs trade Tyreek and suddenly are back to back SB champs?? They lose one of the best WRs in the game and get better? Does this mean building an offense, and focusing the gameplan around, one WR is probably not a good idea? Perhaps?
d. Man for man, the 49ers are probably much more talented than the Chiefs IMO. But the 49ers lost? Why? Coaching IMHO. Kyle Shanahan may be a wonder in the regular season, but in the big games, when it matters most, he makes some surprisingly dumb calls IMO. With the new OT rules, you want the ball second, not first you dingaling!! Also, something you should have learned from the last SB OT you blew, Kyle: RUN THE D@MN BALL!! Just to point out, McD comes from this Shanhan coaching tree.

Great stuff, FF.  The play of the OL was really my big takeaway.  Both QBs had what seemed like light-years to throw compared to our OL.  BTW, the Cheifs' OL did not seem to miss a beat with backup Nick Allegretti starting at LG.  Allegretti happens to be a FA, and the Phins need a LG, so... Basketball

I don't know if it was Shanahan's or Wilks's decision for the Niners to start going blitz-happy in OT, but they made Mahomes's job much easier.  They were doing a pretty good job all game by rushing 4...not sure why they'd want to then start blitzing the smartest QB in the game in that situation.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs' defense is really in great hands with Spags.  He's the best coach in the NFL right now IMO.  Genius.

One interesting note: after the game, a few Niners' players said that they didn't know anything about the new postseason OT rules - just completely unaware.  In contrast, Andy Reid and several Chiefs' players talked about how they've been discussing it all season, starting in training camp.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:20 pm

I would have preferred them to show more of Blake Lively!!!

Anyway...

If the Phins can get their cap situation in line where they can re-sign a few of their own free agents I will be happy.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:03 pm

finfanatic wrote:I would have preferred them to show more of Blake Lively!!!

I was literally about to post the same thing! Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:13 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:oh, and i had 5 different flavors of wings, spinach artichoke dip, Miller High Life and Evan Williams splashed with Canada Dry...in case anybody was wondering.

You had the Oregon safety who's entering the draft over, and then you spilled ginger ale on him??? Shocked Wink

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:19 pm

JMP wrote:Meanwhile, the Chiefs' defense is really in great hands with Spags.  He's the best coach in the NFL right now IMO.  Genius.

Best assistant coach. Head coach, not so much...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SpagSt0.htm

One interesting note: after the game, a few Niners' players said that they didn't know anything about the new postseason OT rules - just completely unaware.  In contrast, Andy Reid and several Chiefs' players talked about how they've been discussing it all season, starting in training camp.

Well to be fair, the Chiefs are the reason the new rules exist. Just sayin'. That would explain why Shanahan decided not only that he wanted the ball first but that a FG actually meant something! Shocked Evil or Very Mad It would seem that not only did HE not know the new rules but also was under the impression that OT was still being done the same way now as the last century! Yes, I'm serious. I would LOVE for a video to surface of someone explaining to him that the game wasn't over and the Chiefs would in fact be getting the ball and his reaction, I KNOW one has to be out there!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:00 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

You had the Oregon safety who's entering the draft over, and then you spilled ginger ale on him??? Shocked Wink

i'm blaming the decision to start in on the bourbon during the 3rd quarter on Ice Spice's (yea, i don't who she is either) mind-controlling hand gestures. pale

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:29 am

DolFan 316 wrote:It would seem that not only did HE not know the new rules but also was under the impression that OT was still being done the same way now as the last century!

if i may... i understand Shanahan's decision to take the ball in OT. i don't necessarily agree with it, but i get why he did it. and yes, he knows the current/new OT rules (i think). his players admittedly did not.

after twice going ahead by 3 points in the 4th quarter, his defense had just given up back-to-back 12 and 11 play drives to allow the Chiefs to knot up the score. the Niners defense was visibly gassed - especially on that final drive of regular time. Shanahan believed by taking the ball first he would buy his defense some much needed rest time.

he also knew that after both teams had a chance, if the score was still tied, then the next team to score would win. after seeing both team's offenses move the ball and score in the 4th quarter, he anticipated that trend would continue into OT. he figured if both teams scored (equally) that by taking the ball first, he would then get the ball and be in position to win it with a score (most likely a FG). so had his defense held the Chiefs to a FG (as they had on 3 different occasions during the game), he would've had the ball in a position to end the game with a walk-off score.

me personally, i'd prefer to have the ball second in OT so you know what you need to score (even though your giving the opposition a chance at a sudden death win in the event of a tie). but given that he felt his gassed defense would most likely give up a TD if put right back on the field, he gambled that his defense (with rest) had a better chance to limit KC to a FG than the idea of his offense having to drive the length of the field against a rested KC defense and score a TD (by taking the ball second) only to tie the score and then give it back to KC for them to potentially end it with a walk-off score.

again, its not what i would've done, but if it had worked, we'd all be hearing about what a genius he is. but obviously, his gamble did not work...but in my mind it was understandable.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:51 am

Yeah, I would definitely want the ball second - but I don't think it really makes that big of a difference in the end. Regardless, you still have to win the game.

One thing I've heard a lot of discussion about with the new OT rules is the clock - as in, why is overtime even timed at all? Each team gets a full possession, and if time runs out before a team wins they just reset the clock and switch directions as they would at the end of a quarter. But the clock serves no purpose because the game can't end till there's a winner, so why even worry about time? And switching sides is meaningless in a game played indoors at a neutral site. All it really does is make things more confusing. (And moron Romo sure didn't help matters with his idiotic interpretation that the first 15 minutes of OT is just like the first quarter of a game.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:17 am

I agree with merc... I think Shanahan was hoping to get the ball back in OT with the score tied up and a chance to win.

Never bet against Mahommes. Or Brady. Shanahan should know by now.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:39 pm

The problem with getting the ball first and going up by 3 is that the opponent now knows they can win with a TD. All Of Shanahan's reasoning goes right out the window if the opponent decides to just keep going for it on 4th down until either they win or get stopped and lose. And sure enough, the Chiefs did exactly that.

I don't necessarily think getting the ball first was the issue as much as settling for 3. It's the worst of both worlds. If Shanahan just goes for it on 4th and 4 from the 9 then barring a turnover that results in a defensive score, he either converts and can still score a TD, or he doesn't in which case he's no worse off than when OT began. Either way the D still has to stop Mahomes. The FG did absolutely nothing to help the 49ers win and may have actually LOWERED their win probability.

The Chiefs on the other hand had planned all along that even if the 49ers got a TD on the first drive, they were going for 2 if they got one as well. Once again Shanahan plays not to lose in a Super Bowl while the opponent plays to win.

DolFan 316

JMP and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:57 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The problem with getting the ball first and going up by 3 is that the opponent now knows they can win with a TD. All Of Shanahan's reasoning goes right out the window if the opponent decides to just keep going for it on 4th down until either they win or get stopped and lose. And sure enough, the Chiefs did exactly that.

I don't necessarily think getting the ball first was the issue as much as settling for 3. It's the worst of both worlds. If Shanahan just goes for it on 4th and 4 from the 9 then barring a turnover that results in a defensive score, he either converts and can still score a TD, or he doesn't in which case he's no worse off than when OT began. Either way the D still has to stop Mahomes. The FG did absolutely nothing to help the 49ers win and may have actually LOWERED their win probability.

The Chiefs on the other hand had planned all along that even if the 49ers got a TD on the first drive, they were going for 2 if they got one as well. Once again Shanahan plays not to lose in a Super Bowl while the opponent plays to win.

i completely get what you're saying. and i agree to a degree. however, had Shanahan (after taking the ball first) gone for it on 4th down and not gotten it, he's made it that much easier for the Chiefs to win on just a FG - and if that happens, he gets crushed like Dan Campbell. that's why i think taking the ball second is right choice - it mitigates the decision in knowing you have to go for it in order to win.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:01 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:i completely get what you're saying.  and i agree to a degree.  however, had Shanahan (after taking the ball first) gone for it on 4th down and not gotten it, he's made it that much easier for the Chiefs to win on just a FG - and if that happens, he gets crushed like Dan Campbell.  that's why i think taking the ball second is right choice - it mitigates the decision in knowing you have to go for it in order to win.

I can respect the first part of your take--but if you don't think your D can stop the opponent that's all the more reason to try for the TD there. Especially when you've got the ball at the 9. As for Campbell, he didn't get "crushed' for going for it repeatedly on 4th down, it was for doing so when he had control of the game to the point where the only way to let the 49ers back in it was to take unnecessary chances and fail.

And yes, ultimately in the new playoff OT format taking the ball second is always optimal, which is another reason I hate it since it's counterintuitive and reminds me too much of college OT which I've loathed and despised ever since it was instituted.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:12 am

I like the college OT rules. Where they FORCE you to go for two until somebody fails or wins.

Either way Shanahan went, the failure of his D to stop Mahommes was going to be the critical point.

Personally, I would have went for the TD on 4th down and let Purdy roll out looking to throw and/or haul arse for the TD!

Can you imagine the shiitestorm of media crapola if Mr. Irrelevant had won the SB!!

And just picture the shots of Tay Tay consoling her boyfriend for losing... and then dumping him the next day... cause she don't hang around with losers you know!

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:12 am

I strongly prefer the college OT rules too. It's a much more exciting format and the shorter field helps reduce players' fatigue. And the clock is completely irrelevant, as it should be.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:07 pm

finfanatic wrote:I like the college OT rules. Where they FORCE you to go for two until somebody fails or wins.

It wasn't always like that. For the first few years college OT games would end in scores like 66-63 after being tied at 24 in regulation until finally the rule was insituted FORCING teams to go for two after their third TD. That's how absurd the format was.

Either way Shanahan went, the failure of his D to stop Mahommes was going to be the critical point.

Yup. And everyone seems to just assume that the same 49ers D that was so gassed Shanahan felt forced to take the ball first was somehow going to stop the Chiefs from scoring had they set foot on the field first, which baffles, befuddles and bewilders me  scratch IMO they were never going to prevent a TD under any circumstances but if the 49ers get one first then at least maybe a Chiefs player drops the 2 point pass or the play call itself is a bad one that has no chance.

Personally, I would have went for the TD on 4th down and let Purdy roll out looking to throw and/or haul arse for the TD!

Can you imagine the shiitestorm of media crapola if Mr. Irrelevant had won the SB!!

And we both know the REAL reason why. Hint: it rhymes with "spite".

And just picture the shots of Tay Tay consoling her boyfriend for losing... and then dumping him the next day... cause she don't hang around with losers you know!

Very Happy

I am actively rooting for this to happen and then for a song to be produced about how HE betrayed HER (just like all her previous 50 or so flings) and for the media to do the fastest, most complete 180 ever and go from fawning all over KC to bashing and trashing them 24/7 for "winning too much". I want this to happen like you wouldn't believe...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:16 am

so it looks like Shanahan decided where to squarely lie the blame. he fired DC Wilks.

of course, it won't be long before this is labeled as racist considering Wilks is part of that Flores claim. never mind the fact the Niners gave him a chance in the first place.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 am

Did anyone notice when the Chiefs were eating that 5 Defender drop back shell zone alive on their drive in OT and Shanahan called a timeout because he was upset with the defense Wilks was calling...and the 49ers came out after that and played more matchup and a tighter zone.

I guess Wilks didn't want to give up a quick TD, and was trying/hoping to force the Chiefs into a FG, but that was a really dumb defense to play against Mahommes IMO. The only hope they had was to get pressure on him and force him to throw the ball quick. Without letting him run for a 1st down or big yards.

That is the dilemma when facing a QB of Mahommes caliber though. Lose slower, or lose faster.

That drop back craploa is called the prevent for a reason; it prevents a victory for your own team IMO!

I also call it the Dave Dumbstedt preferred defense for a reason also! Rolling Eyes

The Panthers should have kept Wilks IMO. But then again, that owner makes Dipshiite Ross look like a good owner, so...

This just reinforces what a great HC Demeco Ryans is going to be for Houston. Won a playoff game in his first season with a rookie QB and team that supposed to be re-building?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:25 am

mercury22nathan wrote:so it looks like Shanahan decided where to squarely lie the blame.  he fired DC Wilks.

of course, it won't be long before this is labeled as racist considering Wilks is part of that Flores claim.  never mind the fact the Niners gave him a chance in the first place.

I READ ABOUT THAT!!!

Disagree about the racist part though. As per official yet top secret NFL policy, only the Dolphins are racist when they fire a black coach and it's perfectly fine when any other team does it. Rolling Eyes

But yeah, there's no doubt Wilks is CLEARLY a scapegoat and Shanahan's trying desperately to save his own rep. Makes me wonder if McDaniel's the same way. I mean, he already essentially did the same thing with Fangio...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next