The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

salary cap hell out west

4 posters

Go down

salary cap hell out west Empty salary cap hell out west

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:24 am

It ain’t just Miami. Look at the salary cap shape the Chargers are in and what they’ll have to do to get under the cap.

The Chargers are $45 million over the cap as things currently stand. Mike Williams is one of many players who will have their contracts looked at by new Chargers GM Joe Hortiz. Williams suffered a torn ACL in the third week of the season. He will be 30 years old one month into the 2024 season and has topped 900 yards once in his past four years.

After going all in to beat the Chiefs, the Chargers also have some hard decisions to make with Joey Bosa ($14.4 million), Keenan Allen ($23.1 million), and Khalil Mack ($23.3 million). If Williams is cut, Allen will almost certainly stay. The EDGE players will be tossed around as trade candidates before any cuts are considered as they have both played at elite levels in LA. Mack was a top-10 pass-rusher by PFF grading last year and Bosa was in 2021.

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-cap-casualties-every-nfl-140600384.html

Look at those cap hits.

https://x.com/JoshNorris/status/1735717202723058080?s=20

Mack - $38.5M
Bosa – $36.6M
Mike Williams - $32.5M
K Allen - $34.7

and their starting NT Austin Johnson is a FA.

And this is before the meat of Herbert’s huge extension kicks in. I guess this is the way of the current NFL – sign a good (not great) QB to a cap busting deal and skimp elsewhere – and hope for the best.

not sure how Harbaugh is gonna get above 6 wins.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

salary cap hell out west Empty Re: salary cap hell out west

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:35 am

Yep... It is the exact same path that Grier is leading the Dolphins down IMHO.

And if what I hear about Tua wanting a Joe Burrows type deal are true...this might be the end of the current Miami Dolphins front office and coaching staff.

We will be facing another shred the team and hope for a 1st round pick and then rebuild effort again.

You HAVE TO HAVE a GM who can draft his way out of a wet paper bag to be successful in the NFL nowadays IMHO. You MUST have those cheap drafted players who actually contribute so you can offset the mega deal the QB, the DT, and the pro bowl WR, pass rusher and top notch CB are getting.

Without that, you are in cap hell and have to scrounge for street free agents to fill in for starters, and when you lose one of these street free agents who is starting, the backups are even lesser street free agents. Think Wynn going down and being replaced by Eichenberg and then Cotton or Jones. THE LG spot got progressively worse and worse.

Think Howard going down and having to plug in Apple. Instead of the 2nd round CB Grier picked in Cam Smith.

I'd say WAY over half the problems the Phins have are all completely due to mistakes and/or extremely poor decisions Grier has made.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 am

It's almost like every player is ultimately only out for himself and is the product of a society that highly encourages and celebrates extreme narcissism in order to keep anybody from working together since that might unite too many people against global tyranny instead of dividing them according to plan, or something scratch

Even the CHIEFS had to deal with this. Remember the Chris Jones drama that dragged on even into the opener? I still have no idea what cap gymnastics they pulled to make THAT work! Shocked Come to think of it, the 49ers had their Nick Bosa situation too! If even Super Bowl teams aren't immune, what chance does any other team have? Crying or Very sad

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a pillow to weep into.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:23 pm

Speaking of Chris Jones, he says he'd LOVE to stay in KC now. Where's the barf emoticon when you need it?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/02/chris-jones-wants-to-remain-with-chiefs

I loved this comment though.

He’ll probably sign new deal with Chiefs and then sit out before the season demanding more money.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:20 pm

Getting back to the original topic, Mack and Bosa's cap numbers right now beat every other edge rusher's by a significant amount.

https://overthecap.com/position/edge-rusher/2024

I also literally just found out that the 2024 cap number of both Allen AND Williams is higher than Hill's, which I thought was staggeringly enormous! Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/2024

Even in Madden both are always let go by the Chargers after this season. Now I see it's for a good reason. Not only can I rhyme I'm also crowd pleasin', people know I'm real and there's no teasin' Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:41 pm

Wow, TWO receivers and TWO pass rushers, all on the same team, each with $30+ million cap hits? That is crazy! Add in Herbert with a cap hit of just under $20 million this year, and that's an ENORMOUS amount of cap tied up in just 5 players. Say what you will about the Dolphins cap issues, but at least they only have one player over $30 million...I guess that's something, right? Wink

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down