The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baker being released

+2
white1
61finfan
6 posters

Go down

Baker being released  Empty Baker being released

Post by 61finfan Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:58 pm

Just read a blurb on Palm Beach Post. Looks like we need a bunch of LBs

61finfan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Baker being released  Empty Re: Baker being released

Post by white1 Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:09 pm

I talked about this in another thread.

I believe the Fins are going to revamp LB corps
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:56 pm

They did try to keep Baker but couldn't agree on a restructure. Duke Riley is a valuable backup, but he could be next on the chopping block. I always liked Baker (and Riley too, for that matter), but the time had come to move on.

If the Phins are able to restructure their top-salary players and open up a bunch of cap space, Patrick Queen could very much be in play IMO.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:03 pm

I'm just glad Stu is posting something and we didn't scare him off cheers cheers cheers

Pick 55 *has* to be a LB now, right?

DolFan 316

JMP and 61finfan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:49 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

Pick 55 *has* to be a LB now, right?

It depends on free agency, but certainly a strong possibility.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:07 am

I guess Coach (the one I talked to a while back) was correct when he said the Phins LB corps needed to be gutted and replaced, but maybe keep Baker.

I had the feeling all along, but now I am fairly sure... this Miami Dolphins 2024 team is going to be big time different than last season's roster!!

Will that be a good thing? Maybe.

But who knows?

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am

JMP wrote:They did try to keep Baker but couldn't agree on a restructure.

he apparently agreed to a pay cut, but Miami wanted to cut more than he was willing to take. i would normally say that once he doesn't get what he wants in FA, he might be back - but i'm not sure he's a scheme fit for Weaver anyway. we'll see.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:02 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Pick 55 *has* to be a LB now, right?

oh what, you've given up on Channing Tindall already?!?! Rolling Eyes

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:07 am

You know, if I had had to bet a lot on Tindall, I would at the very least thought he would be a starter in the league? But to never get any further than Special teams? This is why I doubt my LB Evaluation talents?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:08 am

finfanatic wrote:You know, if I had had to bet a lot on Tindall, I would at the very least thought he would be a starter in the league? But to never get any further than Special teams? This is why I doubt my LB Evaluation talents?

Yeah, Tindall seems to have a good skillset. Is it lack of instincts that's holding him back? Who knows - but I am curious to see what the new coaching staff can do with him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:35 pm

JMP wrote:Yeah, Tindall seems to have a good skillset. Is it lack of instincts that's holding him back? Who knows - but I am curious to see what the new coaching staff can do with him.

I know this is one of the increasingly many things you're not supposed to say in today's social climate but...it's obvious Tindall's not too swift in the brains department scratch Ezukanma is likely in that category as well. This is what happens when the evaluation process throws out the Wonderlic and completely disregards all cognitive ability for...reasons.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 am

interesting, Baker couldn't pass his physical.

On the Dolphins announcing Baker’s release with a failed physical designation, Rosenhaus said:

“It’s always a surprise with a great football player like Jerome who’s in his prime and played so well last year. We wouldn’t be having this discussion had it not been for the knee injury that Jerome suffered when his teammate ran into his knee and he sprained his MCL in the Commanders game and certainly the injury that he suffered against the Bills with a dislocated wrist.

“Jerome, in my opinion, has been one of the best players overall on the Dolphins since he was drafted here six years ago, has been a great leader, has had the green dot, he’s been a Walter Payton Man of the Year.

“The coaches shared with Jerome they were interested in him coming back. I think this was more of a salary thing. And certainly there’s interest in Jerome with the Dolphins organization and it’s mutual, but we couldn’t reach a satisfactory agreement in time and as a result he’s now a free agent.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article286342995.html

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:50 am

Yeah, I think Tindall's problems were he was surrounded by excessively good talent on that 2021 GA team and it elevated his play. I mean, he did have to split playing time with Quay Walker too, so...

https://theathletic.com/4473411/2023/04/30/georgia-football-defense-nfl-draft/

The Athletic wrote:Only one player who started the National Championship Game against Alabama in 2021 was not drafted, while four players who came off the bench in that game have been drafted … so far. Emphasis on so far.

Where the starters ended up going:

DE Travon Walker: first round 2022
NT Jordan Davis: first round 2022
DT Devonte Wyatt: first round, 2022
OLB Nolan Smith: first round, 2023
ILB Quay Walker: first round, 2022
ILB Nakobe Dean: third round, 2022
CB Derion Kendrick: sixth round, 2022
CB Kelee Ringo: fourth round, 2023
S Lewis Cine: first round, 2022
S Christopher Smith: fifth round, 2023
The only starter undrafted was William Poole, a nickel back who left the team early in the 2022 season.

Meanwhile, four backups — a misleading term in some of those cases — have been drafted. The most notable is Jalen Carter, who got significant snaps in 2021 and became the starter the next year. Two of the others — Channing Tindall and Robert Beal — were basically starters who didn’t happen to be on the field for the opening play of the game. (Tindall shared time with Quay Walker, Beal was the second outside linebacker after Smith.)

You have to look at who the player played with as well as the HC, the DC, the scheme, etc... watch the tape, examine the combine numbers, the interview, on and on... And then every scout, coach, and player evaluator has a different opinion, which have to be condensed into a ranking and then... It's no wonder so many GMs screw it up.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:20 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Yeah, Tindall seems to have a good skillset. Is it lack of instincts that's holding him back? Who knows - but I am curious to see what the new coaching staff can do with him.

I know this is one of the increasingly many things you're not supposed to say in today's social climate but...it's obvious Tindall's not too swift in the brains department scratch Ezukanma is likely in that category as well. This is what happens when the evaluation process throws out the Wonderlic and completely disregards all cognitive ability for...reasons.

Very possible, except for the Wonderlic.  It's a meaningless, useless test that has absolutely nothing to do with playing QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:22 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yeah, I think Tindall's problems were he was surrounded by excessively good talent on that 2021 GA team and it elevated his play. I mean, he did have to split playing time with Quay Walker too, so...

https://theathletic.com/4473411/2023/04/30/georgia-football-defense-nfl-draft/

The Athletic wrote:Only one player who started the National Championship Game against Alabama in 2021 was not drafted, while four players who came off the bench in that game have been drafted … so far. Emphasis on so far.

Where the starters ended up going:

DE Travon Walker: first round 2022
NT Jordan Davis: first round 2022
DT Devonte Wyatt: first round, 2022
OLB Nolan Smith: first round, 2023
ILB Quay Walker: first round, 2022
ILB Nakobe Dean: third round, 2022
CB Derion Kendrick: sixth round, 2022
CB Kelee Ringo: fourth round, 2023
S Lewis Cine: first round, 2022
S Christopher Smith: fifth round, 2023
The only starter undrafted was William Poole, a nickel back who left the team early in the 2022 season.

Meanwhile, four backups — a misleading term in some of those cases — have been drafted. The most notable is Jalen Carter, who got significant snaps in 2021 and became the starter the next year. Two of the others — Channing Tindall and Robert Beal — were basically starters who didn’t happen to be on the field for the opening play of the game. (Tindall shared time with Quay Walker, Beal was the second outside linebacker after Smith.)

You have to look at who the player played with as well as the HC, the DC, the scheme, etc... watch the tape, examine the combine numbers, the interview, on and on... And then every scout, coach, and player evaluator has a different opinion, which have to be condensed into a ranking and then... It's no wonder so many GMs screw it up.

Great post. I especially like the last paragraph - it's so true! Even with the enormous amount of work these guys put in on every single player, the potential of drafting a bust is still sky high. It's the ultimate inexact science.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:29 pm

All o' them there Georgia defensive guys have been...underwhelming so far. Products of the system methinks. scratch

https://stathead.com/tiny/rsDF7

Jermaine Johnson apparently had a cup of coffee at Georgia, which is why I find it hilarious that he's the only one of the bunch with a double digit AV season and Pro Bowl to his name Laughing I remember everybody talking up Nakobe Dean and so far he's been no better than Tindall!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down