The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins staff

+6
Degarmo
white1
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JMP
CarsonChris
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dolphins staff Empty Dolphins staff

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 am

Miami needs to put together a competent staff if we are going to move forward. I'm interested in who our offensive line coach is going to be. Will we still run a ZBS? Are we sticking with a 4-3 defense or moving to a 3-4. Will we have a cover 2 or go man in the defensive backfield?

Our staff decisions the next week will tell us a lot about the team.

Will Vance Joseph become our next D coordinator? The way the Bengals were head hunting on Saturday makes me wonder if Joseph is able to control his players?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Dolphins staff Empty Re: Dolphins staff

Post by JMP Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:32 am

On offense, based on Chicago, yes, I think we will run a modified WCO with a zone blocking scheme.

Defense...who knows?  The Bears ran a 3-4, but I don't know if that's what Gase wants.  If he does want Vance Joseph, than we're staying in a 4-3.

Either way - if Gase is going to focus on babysitting the QB and talent acquisition, then he's not going to have much time for defense.  So that means we need a strong, experienced defensive coordinator that can mostly run the D on his own.  I don't think that's Vance Joseph.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:19 pm

NO!!! OH DEAR GOD NO!!! NOT ANOTHER ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME!!!

(Starts weeping.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:41 am

Chris Foerster interviewing for O-line coach.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:41 am

i guess this is the logical place to put info about coaching staff interviews/hires...

The Dolphins on Monday interviewed Titans receivers coach Shawn Jefferson for the same job and are expected to hire him, according to ESPN’s Adam Caplan and Paul Kuharsky (via Kuharsky’s Twitter account).

Jefferson caught 470 passes in a 13-year career but has drawn mixed reviews as a receiver coach.

Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright, two high draft picks, haven’t fulfilled their potential under Jefferson’s watch, with Wright regressing after a exceptional 2013. (Though in Jefferson's defense, a strong case could be made that both players were overdrafted.)

Before joining the Titans in 2013, Jefferson was the Lions’ receivers coach.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/01/heat-thoughts-notes-after-warriors-loss-dolphins-reportedly-close-to-adding-familiar-name-to-staff-u.html

sounds less that impressive. i wonder why Gase is being so quick to grab him as his first hire?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:03 am

CarsonChris wrote:Chris Foerster interviewing for O-line coach.

wasn't he the Phins OC in Wanny's final (partial) year? i don't recall him being all that great. since then he's been the o-line coach at:

2005-2007 Baltimore Ravens (OL)
2008-2009 San Francisco 49ers (OL)
2010-2014 Washington Redskins (OL)
2015-present San Francisco 49ers (OL)

Ravens and Niners were/are power blocking and the Skins were ZBS under Shannahan. so i guess he can coach both schemes, but can he do either well? i don't know.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 am

Yes, Chris Foerster was Wanny's OC in 2004 when the Dolphins went 4-12 and ranked 28th in points and 29th in yards.  Note that he never got another job as an OC.

Just so you know:
--with Foerster as OL coach, the 49ers allowed 53 sacks this season, tied for 2nd in the NFL.
--with Foerster as OL coach, the Redskins allowed 58 sacks last season, ranked 2nd in the NFL.
---with Foerster as OL coach, the Redskins allowed 43 sacks in 2013, tied for 9th in the NFL.

So yeah, let's hire him - he's obviously going to improve our pass protection.  No

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:25 pm

I hear coaches are turning down interviews for the Dolphins. Most electing to stay with their own teams.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Looks like Chris Kouffman also noticed what I did about Chris Foerster...and the stats he found are even worse than mine!

Chris Kouffman@ckparrot
Football Outsiders has data on 17 of the OLs that Foerster has coached. Average run block ranking #21, average pass block rank #20.

Seriously 26 of 34 rankings over the 17 years were bottom-half of the league. I've never seen results this consistently bad over so long.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:35 pm

HEY!!! WTF is this, impinging on my turf?! I'M the one who's supposed to present stats like this, dammit!

Wink Razz

This team is now officially a tour de farce. They've managed to successfully breach the barrier between real life and a bad comedy show.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:01 pm

I knew Gase being young would have trouble filling out his staff.

But damn! Is this what that looks like? Assembling a coaching staff populated with the worse coaches from across the league? Real hard to get excited about...

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:31 pm

That offensive line coach, Foerster . . . wtf? I mean, that kind of consistent shittiness is more than a trend.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:25 pm

OK, let's look at it piece by piece:

GM with no GM experience?  Check.

Head coach with no head coach experience?  Check.

Defensive coordinator with no defensive coordinator experience?  Check.

One of the worst offensive line coaches in the NFL for the past 10 seasons?  Check.

Things are really falling into place!  No

EDIT: Just found out that our new TE coach (Shane Day) has...wait for it...no experience as a TE coach! jocolor

Last edited by JMP on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:26 pm

Degarmo wrote:That offensive line coach, Foerster . . . wtf?  I mean, that kind of consistent shittiness is more than a trend.

So I guess this is the first part of Gase's solution to fixing the offense? Hiring the worst OL coach he could possibly find? Suspect

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:42 pm

We needed a warm body. Nobody else would take the job!

I actually have this gut feeling that Vance Joseph is going to be a good coach. Better than Gase. Not sure why but it's there.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:54 pm

CarsonChris wrote:We needed a warm body. Nobody else would take the job!

I actually have this gut feeling that Vance Joseph is going to be a good coach. Better than Gase. Not sure why but it's there.

I like Joseph as a DB coach. Then again, the job is much easier when you have Reggie Nelson, Adam Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick!

I just question the logic of having a young, inexperienced, first-time DC when the head coach is an even younger guy with no experience running a team, making personnel decisions, calling offensive plays and babysitting a QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:46 am

All true and good points. We just have to deal with it: Our staff is going to be green. Just like our head coach and GM.

Apparently Vance Joseph is highly respected, I read that he interviewed for a couple DC positions last year. No experience, but it sounds like he's ready - or close to ready - for the job.

Vance is key. Gase will craft our offense, we still have Rizzi for special teams (thank God), so Joseph needs to do the work to get the most out of Suh, get pressure on the QB, and stop the goddamn run for once.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:49 am

Side note, one of the writers made a good point how do you know if you hired a good coach, even after his tenure is over and he fails? He gets another job as head coach immediately (two examples, Rex Ryan and Eric Mangini, both Tannenbaum hires).

What is happening with Philbin? Colts interested in having him coach.... the offensive line. Not OC, not QBs, offensive linemen. Ummm, not a good hire. Not at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/13/colts-reaching-out-to-joe-philbin-about-line-coach-job/

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:08 am

JMP wrote:I just question the logic of having a young, inexperienced, first-time DC when the head coach is an even younger guy with no experience running a team, making personnel decisions, calling offensive plays and babysitting a QB.

its called fear. the last thing a young, inexperienced HC wants is an experienced, older coach under him waiting to show him up.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 am

JMP wrote:So I guess this is the first part of Gase's solution to fixing the offense?

oh come JMP, have patience. the Phins have a plan for improving the offense and it starts with...

The team will search for a backup tackle this offseason and that search might include but won't be limited to asking either Billy Turner or Dallas Thomas to work at right tackle.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/01/dolphins-waive-jason-fox.html

Shocked

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 am

I'm OK with Turner at tackle...that's where he should be playing IMO.  He's not a guard.

Keeping Thomas is a huge mistake...I just don't understand how he keeps fooling the coaches.

I would cut Thomas and Douglas if I was in charge...no point in watsing time with bad players that are easy to upgrade.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm

white1 wrote:Side note, one of the writers made a good point how do you know if you hired a good coach, even after his tenure is over and he fails? He gets another job as head coach immediately (two examples, Rex Ryan and Eric Mangini, both Tannenbaum hires).  

Not necessarily. Dave Wannstedt got hired by Miami as HC in waiting immediately after the Bears canned him. Rich Kotite got hired by the Jests immediately after Philly fired him. IMO both showed within two years why they were fired the first time around.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:56 pm

I can not believe Dallas Thomas is still on the team. Maybe you only get fired if your the last rated lineman in the NFL. I guess second to last is ok?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:45 pm

I See Fox was cut Yesterday, I personally think he didn't like Tanny because he was trying to get Him killed.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Clyde Christensen as the offensive coordinator. Has also worked extensively with Manning. Demoted but kept in Indy after the year without Manning (2011) Has been QB coach working with Luck since.

We will see.....

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next