The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tannehill Summed Up

+7
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
Degarmo
JMP
finskev
rightchea
white1
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tannehill Summed Up Empty Tannehill Summed Up

Post by white1 Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:09 am

A good read: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ryan-tannehill-showed-what-hes-all-about-in-miamis-loss-to-the-patriots-091816

The Dolphins are 0-2 on the year. Sunday, they were handily beaten by quarterbacks Jimmy Garoppolo and Jacoby Brissett and the New England Patriots.

But for the important portions of that game, it was Tannehill making the serious mistakes, not the first-year starter or rookie. Tannehill was baited into brain-dead interceptions, he dinked and dunked on passes inside the numbers, and he looked devoid of any understanding of what the Patriots were throwing at him.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Tannehill Summed Up Empty Re: Tannehill Summed Up

Post by rightchea Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:37 am

Jimmy Garoppolo beat up Miami not Brissett. But for the fact that Tannehill looked like a person that was trapped in the outer limits is a serious issue. Miami should have been better offensively in the first half especially as well as they played in the second.

Besides Tannehill looking like a lost child, the defensive is horrible. They allowed Garoppolo look like a star until he got injured. It said to say but Miami might just be a 1-16 team this year.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:51 pm

If they had an Actual stat for Garbage Td passes than Tannehill would be the Best Qb in the League. Also if they had a Stat for Groin Pulls than Foster would be a Hall of Famer, Maybe his Wife needs to pay more attention to His Groin area so this will quit happening. Smile

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:10 pm

It made his box score look good, but it was too late.

At age 28, in his fifth season, Tannehill is all potential and no meaningful results.

Yep, those two quotes are the definition of Ryan Tannehill. A compiler that doesn't win games. Period.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:48 pm

well did you see his stats in the second half. Supposedly Tannehill went 20 for 21

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:57 pm

well did you see his stats in the second half. Supposedly Tannehill went 20 for 21

I saw those stats, in fact I saw the whole game.

The problem for us is the game was lost in the first half. It's unrealistic to think you can come back against a team like New England at home, especially when you're down 28, but that's what we had to try and do.

My point is, start earlier with making those throws and moving the ball, and it will help our defense also. We cannot consistently start off so poorly, it's the wrong way to try and win a game in the NFL. The one common cog in the offensive wheel has been Tannehill. He has to find a way to bring a consistent game in the first half.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:23 pm

white1 wrote:

I saw those stats, in fact I saw the whole game.

The problem for us is the game was lost in the first half.  It's unrealistic to think you can come back against a team like New England at home, especially when you're down 28, but that's what we had to try and do.

My point is, start earlier with making those throws and moving the ball, and it will help our defense also.  We cannot consistently start off so poorly, it's the wrong way to try and win a game in the NFL.  The one common cog in the offensive wheel has been Tannehill.  He has to find a way to bring a consistent game in the first half.

Nailed it.

And I don't know for sure, but it sure looked like the Patriots were playing very differently on D in the second half. I do know they stopped sending pressure, and backups were playing on many downs. When you have a 28-point lead, I think it's pretty natural to sit back and get comfortable a bit. Bottom line - Tannehill couldn't do anything when the Patriot D was firing on all cylinders.

Don't get me wrong - Tannehill had all day to throw in the second half, and he was mostly brilliant. But why couldn't he be brilliant in the first half? Why did it take him more than 2 quarters to get going??? If Tannehill and the offense play like a bag of dicks in the first half against the Browns, they can probably win in the second half - but that was NEVER going to work against Seattle and New England, and it won't work against other decent/good teams on our schedule like the Bengals, Jets, Steelers, Cardinals, etc. Tannehill isn't exactly the "Comeback Kid", and the team isn't built to get out of big holes like that.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:47 pm

The defense hung them out to dry too. I think Tannehill had like 3 pass attempts and the score was 21-0.

My biggest worry with Tannehill is this one thing. I'm not sure losing bothers him like it does champion players. That's one of those things that takes guys with talent from good to great. You don't have that, get aggravated with yourself when you're playing bad, all of that stuff that guys who care about not losing do, and you'll always just be average, regardless of talent. We've seen it over and over in this league.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Yep, the defense was as bad as I've seen it.  In fact, it may have come close to the 62-7 drubbing in Jacksonville if Garoppolo didn't get hurt.  It was that bad.

And I agree on Tannehill.  He doesn't seem to have the "want" and the drive to succeed that the greats have.   I don't see the fire and the will to win - I just don't.  I hate questioning guys like that because you never really know what they're thinking - but Tannehill just seems like he doesn't care one way or another.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 pm

I was listening to a Boston station during the game. In the first half the announcer said, "Really Miami, you want to pay that guy 19 million per year to make those throws, really?"

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Fortunately, the Dolphins can get out of that contract. It's a very team-friendly deal. I just don't think they want to, because there's no way in hell any of these guys in the front office could pick a QB to save their lives.

Reality check though - Tannehill is good enough to keep us out of the Top 7 picks.

I think the kid could be a lights-out player, but he just doesn't have that part of him that wants greatness; at least, I don't see it. He's tough as nails, very smart, plenty of arm talent, but he's just not always plugged in and ready to rock. He takes series off and doesn't show up ready to kick ass. I hate admitting that, but I have plenty of factual basis now.

If he can fix that, he can have a great career, but I don't know that something like that is fixable.

When we were in the midst of the annihilation phase of the game yesterday, he was on the sideline talking to Gase, and kind of smiling. I thought, Marino's head would be on fire right now, no smiles, and no one would want to even look at him let alone have him talk to them. Later on that day, Aaron Rodgers scrambled and had the ball knocked out of his hands and was visibly pissed off at himself for not securing the ball. I think I've seen Tannehill visibly pissed about three or four times.

If you're getting manhandled by your biggest rival, and you're smiling on the sideline, I just don't think you give a shit, or at least not enough of a shit. I know there are differing personalities and the like, but if you're going to be the captain guy, you better be ready to hold people accountable. The guys on offense should wince when they see him coming after they fuck up, not just shrug and go on with their craptacular day.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Marinos just don't come around that often.

All the more infuriating that we had not one, but two shots at the prime years of the man who passed Dan The Man on the all time passing list yesterday, but two doofus coaches/de facto GM's passed on him.

Five years in, I think Tanny is, well, Norm Snead.  Charley Johnson.  Steve DeBerg.  He's a durable starter on a mediocre to bad team who can pile up a lot of numbers, but he'll rarely, if ever, sniff the playoffs.  There's certainly room in the NFL for a guy like that, and I expect him to have a long career like those guys did.  But it's a bit disappointing for a guy picked eighth overall--of those guys I mentioned, Snead was picked even higher, but Johnson and DeBerg were picked in the 10th round, meaning they'd be UFA's today. They were guys who had far less talent but were determined to get the most out of it.

I can't really compare him to Dave Krieg, since Krieg won three playoff games.

That said, I guess it's better than drafting a Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith in the top half of the first round.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:43 am

Watched Wentz last night. Rookie is 1000 times better than Tannehill.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:22 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Watched Wentz last night. Rookie is 1000 times better than Tannehill.

Or Doug Pedersen (a Miami Dolphin BTW) Just knows how to use his personnel.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 am

Gase doesn't think Tannehill is the problem. Once again, its everybody else...

But coach Adam Gase apparently doesn’t blame Tannehill. Asked by Cleveland reporters on Wednesday whether he needs to step up his game, Gase said:

“He has really been, probably, one of our most consistent guys that we have,” Gase said. “I don’t know how much more he can really step up considering that he’s doing everything right now that we need him to do. It’s just that we need every guy to pull their weight.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article103195047.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am

Sooner or later, all this supposedly consistent and great play from Tannehill has to translate to wins, no?  Fifth year...it's time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:51 pm

I still don't get it....if he is doing everything he can do and he is getting the system then why are we still throwing dink and dunks ineffectively in the 1st half but all of a sudden have a great idea in the 2nd half of games.

my coaching philosophy comes from common sense.......if i do this and it doesn't work, then do something else

WHAT THE FUCK IS SO HARD ABOUT THIS CONCEPT??????
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Unfortunately that not going to work out because of the fact that Miami needs tons of secondary help. Miami needs at least to more DB. Maxwell is not good enough and Howard is still growing. Gase needs to make sure that Tannebuam is getting the right players for Miami to become contenders

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Seems like my new favorite coach Clyde Christensen agrees with me:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/09/day-of-truth-for-the-miami-dolphins-thursday.html

"Ultimately, at the end of the day, you got to find ways to win football games."

Hallelujah!!!!

Yes, that's what a quarterback has to do. Win.

"That's what he has to do," Christensen continued. "You have to win games. You have to find some way. It's not always conventional. It's not always pretty. We got to find some way to win games. That's our job as coaches. That's his job as the quarterback. That's the unit's job ... That what we're all measured by.

"If you're leading the league in offense and you can't figure out a way to win football games, then what's it worth? Then they're just numbers. At the end of the day you have to find ways to win football games. He's measured just like the rest of us. All the rest of the stuff is OK but figure out how to win. Win playoff games. All those things. That's the bottom line measuring stick. It's not yardage. It's not leading the league in passing. It's not quarterback rating. All that stuff is fun to look at when you're winning but not worth a whole bunch if you're not winning."

Amen, Clyde!  All the people across Dolphinland that are giddy over PFF ranking Tannehill top 10 overall and #1 for week 2 need to understand one thing: without wins, none of that matters.  A QB has one job, and one job only: win games.  Like Clyde said, nothing else matters.  So yeah, great, Tannehill is top 10...but he's still 0-2!!!  And a huge reason for the 0-2 record is that Tannehill didn't do a damn thing in the first half of either game.  Compiling stas is nice...winning is better.  Period.

Everyone on this team needs to be better - coaches and players.  But it all starts with the QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:06 am

Meanwhile brissett is now 2-0.

God I hate the pats
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:31 am

Obviously We suck but I did see a stat that New Englang and Seattle were a combined 57-5 at home in recent years. So there's that.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:53 am

Birdmond wrote:Obviously We suck but I did see a stat that New Englang and Seattle were a combined 57-5 at home in recent years.   So there's that.  

Yeah, that's pretty amazing.

Regardless, one of these days the Dolphins need to learn to finish games.  Against both the 'hawks and Pats, we had a chance to win at the end and we failed both times.  Sure, those are good teams - but this is a situation that has happened over and over to the Dolphins and it always ends in a loss, regardless of who the head coach is and who is on the roster.  Good teams consistently find ways to win.  But more often than not, the Dolphins consistently find ways to lose.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:11 pm

I think we all know what's coming; a meaningless win against the Browns and them a brutal butt kicking from the Bengals on national TV on Thursday.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Since things haven't changed since last year, Im gonna say that the Browns like the Titans last year have a rookie qb and will be thrashed by Miami that will give some indication of how miami could play if they get their heads out of their asses.

Then they are going to blow out the Bengals to give us even more hope, so that the deep drop after these next two games will be similar to that of last year
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't expect the Phins to beat the Bengals, at all.  The Bengals aren't great, but I think they are clearly the better team.  I'm already having nightmares of AJ Green abusing Maxwell.

But yeah, the Dolphins will find a way to build up the expectations of the fans, and then shit on them by going back to their losing ways.  I ain't falling for it this time!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next