The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LeSean McCoy injured in practice today

+3
DolFan 316
rightchea
JMP
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LeSean McCoy injured in practice today - Page 2 Empty Re: LeSean McCoy injured in practice today

Post by white1 Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Granted it was Manning still in his prime, but there's no way we should have lost that game. No. Way. It was an aberration.

The defense had the perfect set of circumstances to dominate the game, and totally failed to live up to their end of the bargain.

I forget the details but its probably also true we didnt score enough points on offense. I agree with the thought that time of possession is great, but TDs are even better.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

LeSean McCoy injured in practice today - Page 2 Empty Re: LeSean McCoy injured in practice today

Post by JMP Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

white1 wrote:Granted it was Manning still in his prime, but there's no way we should have lost that game.  No.  Way.  It was an aberration.

The defense had the perfect set of circumstances to dominate the game, and totally failed to live up to their end of the bargain.

I forget the details but its probably also true we didnt score enough points on offense.  I agree with the thought that time of possession is great, but TDs are even better.

Yeah, that game still haunts me.  pale

When I watch a game and see a team get a 15-play drive that eats up 10 minutes and ends in a field goal - it feels like such a letdown.  You ate all that clock and only got 3 points???  That's a win for the defense.

But yeah - make the possessions count.  Score big or go home, as the kids like to say (or is that saying already "out"?  I can't keep up anymore...)

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Ball control and clock management is still critical IMHO. It can never be overrated honestly. I think that for teams like Miami, it gives them the best chance to win.

As of now between offense and defense, the dolphins defense is inferior. By keeping them off the field as long as possible if limits the opposing offenses to go buck wild. it prevents the game from getting out of hand to quick. It will not allow the opposing team to dictate the pace.

I agree that scoring has a lot to do with ball control and clock management but its not the only thing because the defense still has to go out there and manage a stop or 2. unlike the colts game.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Umix10 wrote:Ball control and clock management is still critical IMHO.  It can never be overrated honestly. I think that for teams like Miami, it gives them the best chance to win.  

But again, if you're controlling the clock with long drives that end in FGs and your opponent has short, quick drives that end in TDs...you're going to lose. In theory, yes, controlling the clock is better than not controlling the clock - but at the end of the day, all that matters is the scoreboard.

Umix10 wrote:As of now between offense and defense, the dolphins defense is inferior. By keeping them off the field as long as possible if limits the opposing offenses to go buck wild. it prevents the game from getting out of hand to quick. It will not allow the opposing team to dictate the pace.

Again, if you score FGs and they score TDs - you lose. The opposing offense could go "buck wild" and score score TDs on three quick 3-play drives. If your offense gets three FGs on three long 12-play drives...you're losing 21-9. The pace and momentum of the game are always dictated by the scoreboard - not the clock.

In either case, turnovers are the great equalizer and I think this Bills game will come down to who protects the ball better.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Love the passion JMP. I agree that points matter. Its a given. I get it. That's how we determine who wins and loses. Point are what it's all about.

Ball Control and clock management gives MIAMI the best chance to win. Barring What if's. Based on the defense's inability to stop anything and the offense's ability to play from behind.

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 pm

Degarmo wrote:Pace and clock control are two very overrated elements in today's game.  It's all about points on the board.  Because of the liberal passing rules, a team can make very quick comebacks.  I'm remembering the first time I posted with you guys, that Colts game back in 1436 (or 2006 or something, don't remember the date), where the Dolphins dominated the clock and still lost the game right at the end.

The pace thing, this mantra of the new "genius guru" style coach of the NFL, is feast or famine.  You don't score,  you end up with an exhausted defense by the 4th quarter.

Really, it's about getting points and staying in an offensive groove.  Optimally, you'd want to have long drives and score TDs on 80 percent of them, but in reality it's the Bellichick defensive scheme; the more plays you're on the field on offense on a drive, the more chance it has in leading to a punt/turnover.

I REMEMBER THAT!!!

I believe it's the most time of possession in an NFL game ever by a losing team. OVER 45 minutes. Leave it to the Fins Rolling Eyes I kept waiting for the Colts' D to fall over from exhaustion en masse, and it pisses me off to this day that they never did. I mean seriously, the nerve, the unmitigated GALL of them to keep playing all the way through the end without getting tired!!! Evil or Very Mad I suspect PEDs. Again, seriously.

On the other hand, that was one hell of a posting debut cheers Maybe the best I've ever seen.

The ONLY time TOP matters is when a team has the ball and a one-score lead with 5 minutes or less left. Remember the Giants-Bills Super Bowl? The one that for all intents and purposes made TOP *the* key stat of every game for the next 10-15 years, according to the media? If Norwood hits that kick at the end all the Giants' TOP is meaningless.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2