The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins release, free agency and trades news

+7
white1
finfanatic
scotgif
Birdmond
mercury22nathan
JMP
rightchea
11 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Dolphins release, free agency and trades news - Page 2 Empty Re: Dolphins release, free agency and trades news

Post by rightchea Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:52 pm

I say Miami trade for a 4th and 5th round. Thomas isn't worth the headache

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins release, free agency and trades news - Page 2 Empty Re: Dolphins release, free agency and trades news

Post by rightchea Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 pm

So I changed the name because it would be pointless to have so many post about the news that can be in one post

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm

with that said Miami might be trading for another DB again......

adam beasley wrote:It’s unclear who the Dolphins are targeting this time around, but they have obvious connections to Aqib Talib (who was with Adam Gase in Denver) and Richard Sherman (whose game fits Miami’s style), among others. Sherman has two years, $22 million in base salary left on his existing deal; Talib is due $30 million over the next three.

Money wouldn’t be an option with either, as the Dolphins are expected to have some $50 million in cap space.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article133203924.html#storylink=cpy

I rather Miami pick up a DB in the first round instead of over paying another DB that might not do well. At the same time I do like Sherman

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:44 pm

MICHAEL HERNANDEZ wrote:The Miami Dolphins are in current trade talks with the Jacksonville Jaguars(and possibly other teams) for their retained Left Tackle Branden Albert.
Last Thursday, Branden Albert was supposed to be released along with some of his former teammates in a move to create an estimated $20 million in Cap Room, but was retained due to trade interest. Also, last Thursday was also the day rumors began to circle about the Miami Dolphins looking to trade for a starting cornerback.
It would not be unlike Dolphins Vice President of Football Operations-- Mike Tannenbaum’s style to make a splash during the free-agency period by going after a Big Name corner. Denver Broncos CB Aqib Talib, and Seahawks CB Richard Sherman are the two names that have been mentioned as potential trade targets for the Dolphins. However, whether or not those player’s teams are willing to trade away their star corners is highly unlikely. Especially due to the fact that shutdown CB’s are so valuable in the Modern NFL passing Era. And would Miami be willing to give up a high-draft pick as well as inheriting their annual $12M+ salaries?

http://www.scout.com/nfl/dolphins/story/1756244-could-miami-dolphins-trade-for-amukamara

He is young but not sure how great of a trade he would be...

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:44 am

That Amukamara scenario looks far fetched to me. You're talking about a player slated to hit free agency on 3/9. The Jags already lost their chance at leverage, he can simply do nothing and let the market set his price.

Also, why trade for him when you can simply buy him without giving up any picks?

This makes little sense to me.

I don't like these cornerback rumors because IMO we SHOULD be looking to trade for a DT, DE or LB. Much higher on my personal needs list than a CB.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:01 am

None of these scenarios make sense to me.

Amukamara?? It would have to be a sign-and-trade, and at that point why not just work out the deal yourself when he hits free agency? Not sure why the Jags would even want to dump Amukamara...they'd be smart to just re-sign him if they can.

And for the hundredth time, I have no idea why the Seahawks would even consider trading Sherman.

As for Talib - he's older and declining and he still can't stay away from off-field problems. The Broncos will likely cut him, so why even bother trading for him? It's not like he's a "must have" player at this stage of his career.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am

The Branden Albert-Julius Thomas trade is picking up steam:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786663/article/branden-albert-visiting-jaguars-ahead-of-possible-trade

The Miami Dolphins and Jacksonville Jaguars are working on a trade involving offensive tackle Branden Albert and tight end Julius Thomas, but hurdles remain.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Albert is visiting the Jaguars on Monday to help facilitate a swap. An Albert-Thomas trade would likely happen if both players agreed to new deals, Rapoport reported.

A trade cannot be officially finalized until the new league year opens on March 9.

I am 100% AGAINST adding Julius Thomas. He's a ridiculously overpaid soft player who misses tons of games and is coming off two consecutive "meh" seasons. This is the exact type of player I don't want on the Dolphins. Plus, adding Thomas probably means we don't re-sign Sims - leaving us with a grand total of ZERO blocking TEs on the roster...yet another position we'll need to fill. Nope, not a fan of this at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 am

I'm only a fan of the trade if a draft pick is included.

We are trading an elite left tackle, exactly what Jacksonville needs. Also, JAX benefits immensely by getting exclusive rights to deal with Albert and his agent in restructuring his contract. On the open market, to buy him would require winning an open bidding war with all interested teams. Albert isn't really injured all that often, he is tough and will fight through nicks and dings, and he is an excellent veteran leader - still capable of playing at an elite level in both run and pass blocking.

In return, right now we are getting a tight end that Jax signed to a huge deal, but hasn't matched that deal with performance. So, the salary cap relief for a player that has not panned out for them is yet another benefit for Jax.

It's not a bad move given that Gase knows Thomas intimately, and knows exactly how he will fit in our offense. But from a value perspective, we need more than Thomas in return for Albert. A draft pick, or another player, makes sense.

Also, we need to keep Sims. He's younger, and he's a better blocker, and he won't break the bank either. Makes no sense to let him walk. We need both on the field in this offense. A Thomas-Sims combo brings great skills to our offense. Thomas alone, not so much.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:58 pm

I am thinking the release/trade of Albert is once again going to leave the Dolphins GUARDLESS!

Instead of having one guard spot stinking, the putrid NO-GUARDS Scenario will once again rear its ugly head in Miami!!!

Unless one of you ultra fans can once again hack another 1st round graded O-lineman's account and post some compromising pix of him with a bongmask, a few hookers, and killing a kitten or two, I DOUBT the Phins get lucky enough to get a Tunsil talent in this draft!!!

More probable, Tannenbaum shoots himself in the foot...again....er....or shoots himself in the stump again.....or shoots himself in whatever mangled, bullet-riddled appendages he has left!!! Self-inflicted in every case!!

I don't like ANY of the potential trades. I could live with Sherman, but why in Heck would Seattle dump him?

All of the other guys they parted with makes me quip,, " A good start. Keep cutting!"
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 pm

I hear your point FF.

However, a team cannot operate with fear. If it makes sense to move Tunsil to LT, and use the money we were paying for Albert on other areas of need, then do it. You can't worry about your capability to fill in needs - even if you're creating a new one at LG.

IMO we probably buy at least one high-priced guard in free agency. A stud at LG would look real nice - giving us Tunsil - LG - Pouncey in a row. Real strength we can create there. We could probably get away with a draft pick for RG, backed up with one or more journeymen level vets (Urbik, Bushrod) and be okay there.

Looks right now like we are not trading for JT. Instead, we are getting a draft pick in return. With JAX draft slot this year, effectively we'll be at the bottom of the preceding round.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:56 pm

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 pm

I think they could have at least gotten a sixth round for him. but if it make more space in the cap that fine with me

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Well, hopefully Armando is right and we aren't getting Thomas. A 7th round for Albert is essentially the same as cutting him, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

FF is right - we MUST find a way to add two quality guards. The second we drafted Tunsil, Albert was a dead Dolphin walking...there's just no way he was going to remain on the team. Unfortunately, the Dolphins didn't look far enough ahead to address guard last offseason, and now it becomes a major need - or, two major needs since we need two starting guards.

I think we will very much be in play for a guard in round one. Hopefully Dan Feeney is the target - he's the only first-round caliber guard I like, even though I hate the idea of using a first on a guard. But, it is what it is.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Basically, we traded Albert for Thomas and swapped late round picks this year and next year. I hear you guys on Thomas, but if Gase can coax some return to his prior Denver success (although that was with Peyton), then we have an upgrade at TE. I think we were going to lose Albert either way. So, at least we got a player and a pick for him, while giving up a late pick.

I still want us to resign Sims. Not a star by any means, but he has developed nicely each year he has been with us. Need to retain his blocking ability. And, like I say, he has improved his catching skills each year.

On another note, I love the Wake contract extension. Make him a Dolphin until he retires. I think it is great that they are rewarding him for his service with us and ensuring that they can keep him end up a Fin for life.

Now, lets get a couple OG's, LB's, D'linemen, DB's and we are looking good.

Lets get younger through the draft like the smart, successful teams do. Cherry pick here and there with proven vets, but by and large build your core through the draft.

scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:22 am

This trade has me a bit... queasy and I hope we are not outsmarting ourselves just to get a deal done.

In effect, we traded BACK from the 7th this year to a 7th in 2018.  That means we place more value on Thomas than Albert.  I just can't see how that's accurate.  Albert is still playing at a high level.  Thomas has not shown performance or value close to what we saw while he was in Denver.  Plus, his contract is way over the value be provides in return.

I don't see the value proposition here.  I can only hope the team studied the tape of Thomas last year, to be sure we are getting the player we hope we are getting.

In the end, it is only a 7th round pick deal, but still - I would rather have seen us trade for Thomas straight up.  I actually expected a draft pick plus Thomas.

Forgot to mention this: We need to retain Sims. Thomas is shit as a blocker. Sims made some nice plays for us last year and he's great in the running game, which is a strength of this team. Makes little sense to add a passing game weapon, only to get weaker with in line blocking.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:18 am

I think you can wave bye-bye to Sims now that we have Thomas. Sims will probably get close to $5 million a year in free agency (at least, that is Sportrac's market value for him), and I just don't see the Phins investing that much money in the TE position. So, now we need to add a cheap blocking TE in addition to everything else.

I HATE adding Thomas. I'm so sick of watching soft, useless, overpaid players on this Dolphins' team. Tannenbaum sure does love to acquire injury-prone players.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 am

white1 wrote:Plus, his contract is way over the value be provides in return.

apparently this is being addressed.

One of the hurdles that was overcome Monday to get Thomas to Miami was a restructuring of his contract.

Thomas originally was signed through 2019, with cap hits of $8.3 million this coming season, $9.8 million in 2018 and $10.3 million in 2019.

Those numbers have been cut significantly, according to a league source as has the salary Thomas is scheduled to earn. But Thomas will get a chance to earn back much of his money through incentives if he plays at the level he did in Denver -- something he has confidence he can do because of his past performance.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article133913059.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 am

Looks like Miami is getting Thomas.....

Omar Kelly wrote:Executing a multiple-player trade in the NFL is rare because of all the moving parts. But the Dolphins came to agreement on two separate deals Monday with the Jacksonville Jaguars that benefited both teams.

Instead of a player-for-player swap, which had been discussed, Miami agreed to send left tackle Branden Albert to Jacksonville in exchange for a late-round draft pick in 2018, and the Dolphins got tight end Julius Thomas from the Jaguars for a late-round pick in 2017, according to sources.

The trades can’t become official until the start of the new league year on March 9, and hurdles could surface before then. Thomas will be visiting the Dolphins on Tuesday to take a physical and meet with team officials. Albert was in Jacksonville on Monday.

Details on restructured contracts for Albert and Thomas, which are expected, have not been disclosed.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-julius-thomas-20170220-story.html

This is a horrible deal IMO....oh also from ESPN

James Walker wrote:It will be important for the Miami Dolphins to hit on this year's first-round draft pick. After that, the team may not have many additional opportunities to land an impact player from the college ranks.

The Dolphins have just four picks in the 2017 NFL draft, including only two selections in the first four rounds. If that stands, Miami would set a franchise record for fewest draft picks in a year. The current Dolphins record for fewest draft picks is five selections in 2002.

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/24633/post-julius-thomas-trade-dolphins-currently-have-just-four-draft-picks

The Tannebaum era has begun

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
white1 wrote:Plus, his contract is way over the value be provides in return.

apparently this is being addressed.

One of the hurdles that was overcome Monday to get Thomas to Miami was a restructuring of his contract.

Thomas originally was signed through 2019, with cap hits of $8.3 million this coming season, $9.8 million in 2018 and $10.3 million in 2019.

Those numbers have been cut significantly, according to a league source as has the salary Thomas is scheduled to earn. But Thomas will get a chance to earn back much of his money through incentives if he plays at the level he did in Denver -- something he has confidence he can do because of his past performance.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article133913059.html

Thomas would actually have to be on the field to have the success he had in Denver. The guy only played in 9 games last season, and has never played 16. I don't care how cheap they get his contract, the bottom line is he's always hurt and he sucks when he does actually play. Very one-dimensional and soft. I would've been much happier with a lower-profile guy like Luke Willson or Jack Doyle, assuming either one hits the open market (Willson almost certainly will).

And I know Dolfans are going to blame Blake Bortles for Thomas's lack of production in Jax, but keep in mind: Bortles threw 35 TDs in 2015, while Tannehill has never had more than 27.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 am

Mando recommended Luke Wilson also.

Damn it, I really don't like this move the more I read about it and think about it.

If we retain Sims, I'll feel better. Or add Wilson as well.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:11 am

My thing is, Albert is always hurt. Never pays an entire season. I think we were going to lose him anyway to FA, so why not at least get something for him. I don't see anyone trading a high pick for an aging-often-injured, high-priced player that they can probably just sign as a FA.

I am not sold on Thomas either, but let's hope Gase can get production out of him. Gase seems like a pretty good judge of talent so far. I don't see him bringing in someone he knows very well that can not play.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am

scotgif wrote:My thing is, Albert is always hurt. Never pays an entire season. I think we were going to lose him anyway to FA, so why not at least get something for him. I don't see anyone trading a high pick for an aging-often-injured, high-priced player that they can probably just sign as a FA.

I am not sold on Thomas either, but let's hope Gase can get production out of him. Gase seems like a pretty good judge of talent so far. I don't see him bringing in someone he knows very well that can not play.

I have no problem with the Albert trade. Like I said, we knew this was coming the second Tunsil was drafted.

But Thomas has way too many negatives for me to feel comfortable with him, regardless of salary. I just hate how we continue to add soft players. And I'm not sure Gase is such a great judge of talent...he had both Dallas Thomas and Billy Turner not only on the roster but in the starting lineup, and he supposedly wanted to trade Ajayi before the season started. Plus, we're getting Julius Thomas in 2017, not Julius Thomas in 2013. Hopefully I'm wrong, but this just seems like a bad move anyway I look at it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:30 am

white1 wrote:
If we retain Sims, I'll feel better.  Or add Wilson as well.

Definitely - me too. I just don't know how much $ the Phins can and will commit to the TE position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 am

Or, it could mean that instead of drafting one of the top TE's coming out, we are gong to look to fill a bigger need area, defense.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 am

scotgif wrote:Or, it could mean that instead of drafting one of the top TE's coming out, we are gong to look to fill a bigger need area, defense.

Miami won't be in a position to draft OJ Howard anyway, unless they traded up. I'll be shocked if he doesn't go top 15. And Njoku is a bit of a project, even though I am high on him - and he may be gone before 22 also. If we stay at 22, I think it's probably DL - maybe LB or OG.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next