The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins release, free agency and trades news

+7
white1
finfanatic
scotgif
Birdmond
mercury22nathan
JMP
rightchea
11 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Dolphins release, free agency and trades news - Page 4 Empty Re: Dolphins release, free agency and trades news

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 pm

I not just blaming Bortles for the lack of play by Thomas. I am blaming Tannebaum and Gase for going after him. Bennett is a free agent and he is better than Thomas. I mean I wouldn't go after him either but still.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins release, free agency and trades news - Page 4 Empty Re: Dolphins release, free agency and trades news

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Eric Roddy wrote:Good news for the entire Miami Dolphins organization.

It has just been reported, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald that Ryan Tannehill's knee has fully healed and he should be ready to go at the start of the 2017 NFL season, which is a little more than six months away.

Tannehill was not able to go in the final four games of last season, and many believed he would need surgery to repair the ACL and MCL in his left knee.

Salguero reported earlier today that sources close to Tannehill have confirmed that the QB passes tests that "determine the stability and functionality of his knees and that he is now ready to go" (Miami Herald).

Salguero also reports that Tannehill's knee "will not be any more susceptible to a future ACL tear in his left knee following his completed rehabilitation than if he'd had reconstructive surgery."

This is excellent news for the team, who will look to get better in its second year under HC Adam Gase.

FINS UP!

http://www.scout.com/nfl/dolphins/story/1757345-miami-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-knee-healed?s=292

Sounds like his leg is healed and that he is good to go

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Robert Molner wrote:Despite ending the season much sooner than anyone would have wanted, it is now time to turn our attention to most fans second most favorite time of year. The NFL Draft. For the Miami Dolphins, this will present a chance for the team to build on their playoff campaign from 2016.

Defense continues to be the biggest need for this team heading into the draft. With the unit expected to be improved upon through free agency and the draft, this makes Miami’s selections slightly more prevalent to change.

With the Draft now just over two months away, I know it may be a little early to be looking towards the draft. But with the college football season over, all that remains in the evaluation process is the combine and individual workouts for certain players. So without further ado, we present the sixth edition of the “Miami Dolphins potential first round draft picks.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/miami-dolphins-potential-first-round-130000964.html

There are some interesting information on who Miami could draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:14 pm

adam wells wrote:With NFL teams preparing to ramp up their draft preparations in anticipation of this year's event starting on April 27, the league has announced its list of compensatory picks.

ESPN's Adam Schefter provided the full list of 32 compensation picks awarded by the NFL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694850-nfl-announces-complete-list-of-2017-compensatory-draft-picks

so Miami gets 3 round 33 pick and a 5th round 41 pick

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Wow...the Fins get the highest comp pick and the Pats only get one? The league really MIGHT have turned against them Shocked Shocked Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 pm

There's a convoluted formula for comp picks - has nothing to do with who the league likes or doesn't like.

I had read that the Phins would get a 3rd and 5th, so no surprise here. Since they're at the end of the rounds it's more like a 4th and 6th, but everything helps. Now, we wait and see what Tannenbaum trades them for...

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 pm

they also got a 5 round 35 pick as well. forgot to put that.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:42 pm

I read three compensatory picks, numbers 97, 180 and 186 overall.

Now we have a first, a second, a third (97), three fifth rounders and a sixth. Back up to 7 picks.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:59 am

HalCHorn wrote:I read three compensatory picks, numbers 97, 180 and 186 overall.

Now we have a first, a second, a third (97), three fifth rounders and a sixth. Back up to 7 picks.

Damn good news.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 am

Armando wrote:That’s because, multiple NFL sources agree, Stills is more likely to leave via free agency than stay in Miami.

The Stills camp is already aware of the receiver’s potential value in free agency. And the market is said to already be in the $12-million-a-year range, per sources.

There is even a team on everyone’s lips as a likely landing spot for Stills -- The Philadelphia Eagles.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article135184439.html#storylink=cpy

So it sounds like Still might be worth more than we thought. I would like Miami to keep Stills but he is just way to expensive at the moment.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:53 am

$12 million a year for Stills??? That's just insane. I was thinking $7 or $8 million was too high! No chance he's a Dolphin at that price.

Speaking of crazy money, I just saw on sportrac that Dion Jordan is due a $2.5 million roster bonus...I believe those are paid in March. I can't see any way the Phins can justify giving him that bonus...I have to think he'll be cut soon, unless the Phins are able to play with his contract. I really hope they just cut their losses and dump him ASAP.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am

I thought Jordan's bonuses were voided due to multiple suspensions, but I could be wrong.

In any case, he's a dead man walking. I just can't see him making the 53 this year.

The Eagles are going to "buy" Stills and do whatever it takes to get him. Doesn't make sense for us to try and win a bidding war. Oh well.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 am

white1 wrote:I thought Jordan's bonuses were voided due to multiple suspensions, but I could be wrong.

I was wondering about that as well. Sportrac usually updates their contract info, and they still have the bonus listed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Well I guess Miami get a couple more good compensation picks for next year's draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Well I guess Miami get a couple more good compensation picks for next year's draft.

It really depends on what we do in free agency. The "formula" is complicated and it takes into account both sides of the equation, who you lose, who you gain and how well those players play (or how much).

It's a bit of a problem for us because Free Agency is turning into what it always is. The real blue chip talents get the franchise tags. Those that make it to the market are overly expensive, and include plenty of question marks. I include Stills when I say this. He's played for 4 years and has never registered 1000 yards receiving, yet reports have the Eagles willing to throw more than $10 million a year at him. If the number even approaches that, you are way overpaying for what you're getting.

All that said, we cannot fill all the needs on this roster with draft picks. We don't have enough. And rookies are no sure thing. So we will have to sign some players in free agency. It's a matter of what kind of player will we look for. Last year, it was bargain basement reclamation projects, mostly. This year, will we sign the high priced guys? Or try and fill with the journeymen instead?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:10 pm

I expect a major FA push by the Dolphins this offseason, so comp picks next year are unlikely IMO.

Comp picks are nice, but at the end of the day I just want to see this roster improve. I don't care about comp picks as much as I care about the Dolphins being smart with their picks and selecting great players.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:07 pm

that is true. Lets hope that Miami does right in the FA

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:59 pm

This is why I never understood people who faulted the Fins for letting Vernon walk last year, as if him pricing himself absurdly high was a sign of their incompetence somehow. Like Vernon, Stills clearly doesn't want to be there anymore. He and his agent know *exactly* what they're doing. Oh well, he was one of those anthem kneelers anyway, so goodbye.

The real NFL is turning into Madden '17, with almost no stars ever hitting FA and the ones who do being so expensive that signing them actually becomes a stupid move even if a team does need help at the position. Maybe, just maybe, Tannenbaum is onto something with his approach of simply trading for players instead. Yes, Bird, I just threw you a bone. You're welcome Cool

If only the Fins were good at that drafting thing...(Sighs.) They've lost Matthews and (apparently) Stills and replaced them with...Caroo. Not exactly restocking the cupboard, even if Caroo can actually do anything which remains to be seen.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 pm

I think I'd just start getting 6'6" TEs and putting them everywhere, WR, slot, TE, backfield.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Supposedly the days of big spending is gone, lets hope it true....

chris perkins wrote:The days of the big-spending, free-wheeling Miami Dolphins in free agency are pretty much over. That means free-agent contracts like the ones given to Mike Wallace and Ndamukong Suh are relics of a bygone era.

And that could also mean there’s no way the Dolphins spend big bucks on, say, New England Patriots linebacker Dont’a Hightower this offseason.

FROM OUR PARTNERS: Opinion Journal: The Jeff Sessions ‘Scandal’

“I don’t think anything is ever left off the table,” coach Adam Gase said about landing a so-called “big fish” in free agency. “I just know what our philosophy is going to be.”

Gase, general manager Chris Grier and executive vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum, who are all attending the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis this week, have decided they’d rather have a few medium-sized fish than the big one.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-notebook-20170302-story.html

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:14 pm

rightchea wrote:Supposedly the days of big spending is gone, lets hope it true....

That's easy to say in an offseason where there really isn't the one big-name monster FA available.

And the Dolphins reportedly offered Stills $10 million a year, so I guess "big spending" has different meanings to different people! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Eric Roddy wrote:Joe Schad reported yesterday via the Palm Beach Post that Miami Dolphins WR Kenny Stills wants to stay in Miami.
He has been reported to be seeking in the $10-12 million dollars a year range, which is extremely high for the Dolphins third best receiver behind Jarvis Landry (who they still need to come to terms with) and DeVante Parker.
Schad reported yesterday that Stills may be open to coming back to Miami, a city in a state with no income tax and with sunny weather year round, for in the $8 million a year range.
If Stills is willing to go down to $8 million a year, the Dolphins have enough cap space to do that, find a guard or LB in free agency, and sign their upcoming rookie class.
If he insists on more money, the Dolphins would be wiser to find a cheaper replacement in FA, and let Stills go to another team.
FINS UP!

http://www.scout.com/nfl/dolphins/story/1759179-miami-dolphins-stills-could-take-less-money?s=367

Sounds like he could go for less.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Looking at all the holes on this roster, even $8 million a year for a #3 receiver sounds like way too much. Plus, if there's even a slight chance Stills could get close to $12 million on the open market, why would he sign for $4 million less to stay in Miami - even the tax break won't make up for the difference in $.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Molner wrote:One of the unsung heros from the Miami Dolphins last season was defensive end Andre Branch. Given a prove it contract following some average seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Branch sure proved it to the team. Giving Miami a great one-two punch at the defensive end positions, Branch was a top notch pickup for the Dolphins.

Recording career highs in tackles last season with 49, Branch also recorded two forced fumbles, a pass deflection and most importantly, 5.5 sacks. Overall, Branch was a force along the defensive line. His stats could have been even higher had he not served to distract offensive lines from Cameron Wake’s presence.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/keeping-andre-branch-key-miami-130057940.html

Is this guy really priority?

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 pm

The more I think about Branch, the more I want him gone. He sucks against the run and is mediocre as a pass rusher. He's a good rotational player, but he shouldn't be a starter. We can do better.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next