The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tannehill restructures

+6
finfanatic
Degarmo
JEGnj
rightchea
white1
JMP
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tannehill restructures Empty Tannehill restructures

Post by JMP Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:46 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article205165309.html

Tannehill’s cap number goes from $19.8 million this year to approximately $8.6 million. The Dolphins are saving $11.2 million in cap space with the move.
Never miss a local story.

It means the Dolphins most definitely plan to have Tannehill on the roster this year (we knew that) and the cost of cutting him in the next couple of years just got steeper. Cutting Tannehill in 2019 would save the Dolphins around $15.4 million instead of the $18.7 million originally scheduled while the dead money such a move would leave rises from $2.3 million to $5.6 million.

The article implies that the Phins may ask other vets to restructure too.

And so it begins...this is EXACTLY how Tannenbaum put the Jets in cap hell: hand out a bunch of terrible contracts, and then restructure them to screw up future years. All that cap space we're supposed to have next offseason is getting smaller by the day.

Look for the Phins to dive into free agency and continue to hand out more bad deals...

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tannehill restructures Empty Re: Tannehill restructures

Post by white1 Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:54 pm

So once again. Why all the cap space? Who are we buying?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm

sounds like Miami trying to get a bunch of players

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 pm

I'm here because I'm a Dolphin's Fan but how long do we suffer? How long do we accept frustration? At what point do you say enough? Some of you love the draft and free agency and rebuilding and in Dec start the wait until next year chants and WHAT HAPPENS? We suck the next year. Rooting for the Dolphins I feel like every year of my life I walk down the same street and get the shit kicked out of me. At first I said it was a fluke and can't happen for ever. Then I said I'll get bigger and stronger and smarter yet every year I walk down the same road and get the shit kicked out of me. I'm now old and broken and tired of getting the shit kicked out of me. I'm not walking down the middle of the street like a tough guy saying come and get me. I'm just starting down the dead end just waiting to get my ass kicked.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:20 pm

white1 wrote:So once again. Why all the cap space? Who are we buying?

Sounds like we want guard Josh Sitton. Good player, but older and will cost a fortune. He'll be 32 in a few months and has already played a ton of football over 10 years. Definitely an upgrade, but at his age not sure a huge deal is worth it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 am

Definitely an upgrade, but at his age not sure a huge deal is worth it.

Well, considering the cap is a fictional number, and we aren't pressed for cash to spend on other players, I guess buying a guard even if we overpay is not a terrible move. This roster is in such a sad state, I can't even think of a player that we MUST renew when his contract expires. I'm including Tannehill.

I don't like his age. But whatever.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 am

white1 wrote:
Definitely an upgrade, but at his age not sure a huge deal is worth it.

Well, considering the cap is a fictional number, and we aren't pressed for cash to spend on other players, I guess buying a guard even if we overpay is not a terrible move. This roster is in such a sad state, I can't even think of a player that we MUST renew when his contract expires.  I'm including Tannehill.

I don't like his age.  But whatever.  

At least we'll have a good guard, assuming he stays healthy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am

Miami want these old vet that cost too much money when they can find someone in the draft that would be cheaper and make more sense on the cap

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:51 pm

As much as I've given Tannehill the benefit of the doubt, and as good as knee surgery recovery is nowadays (not like when I was a kid and they wanted to give me the 8-inch zipper), I feel like it's time to explore a different option. At the very least, we need to consider getting some real competition in here. Tannehill's running ability was always a weapon, but not used much. As much receiving experience as he has, I would be using him in the very least as a decoy on special plays. You do ANYTHING you can to keep the defense off balance, and if you force them to do extra preparations, that's time they can't spend on other things during the week. Coaching 101.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Tannenbaum is an idjit IMO.

Ross letting Tannebaum run the team proves Ross is a bigger idjit than Tannenbaum.

I do not think ANYONE in Miami has a plan. Just drunken monkeys flinging poo! Per usual.

(sigh)
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:12 pm

I just read an article I will put up later that Gase has the same role that Chip Kelly had with the 49ers

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Degarmo wrote:At the very least, we need to consider getting some real competition in here.

Haven'y you heard? We may bring in Chad Henne! (Not a joke...reports are that we are looking into Henne.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Gase is gone next year if they don't go to the playoffs. Tannebaum is gone if they pick up Henne and losing season....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/report-chad-henne-set-to-visit-chiefs/

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:At the very least, we need to consider getting some real competition in here.

Haven'y you heard?  We may bring in Chad Henne!  (Not a joke...reports are that we are looking into Henne.)

I saw that last night. I laughed. I don't know if I'd rather have Henne or Moore if forced to choose.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Gase is gone before week 5 and Tannehill doesn’t make it out of camp if they draft his replacement.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Well, Fales re-signed so I don't expect the Phins to do anything major at QB. I think they roll with Fales and Doughty as the backups...Gase loves him some mediocre QBs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 am

I wouldn't call Fales and Doughty as mediocre, more like under par

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:00 am

rightchea wrote:I wouldn't call Fales and Doughty as mediocre, more like under par

You mean like they worse then mediocre? Right?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm

that exactly what I mean Miami needs to find someone that can compete with Tannehill not warm his bench

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:07 pm

rightchea wrote:that exactly what I mean Miami needs to find someone that can compete with Tannehill not warm his bench

I agree, but I just don't think the Phins see it that way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:11 am

in the original piece by Armando posted by JMP above, he says the restructure

Cutting Tannehill in 2019 would save the Dolphins around $15.4 million instead of the $18.7 million originally scheduled while the dead money such a move would leave rises from $2.3 million to $5.6 million.

but now he is saying...

The Dolphins last week not only didn’t put any prove-it pressure on Tannehill for this season but actually relieved him of it and effectively made him their guy this year and next year.

In restructuring Tannehill’s contract, the Dolphins stamped him with a seal of confidence. Remember, the quarterback hasn’t thrown a pass since December 2016. He’s coming off multiple ACL injuries. No matter.

The Dolphins made the contract moves that turned $16 million from Tannehill’s 2018 base salary into bonuses and in so doing saved $11.1 million in salary cap space this year.

But the move added approximately $5.6 million to Tannehill’s cap cost in both 2019 and 2020.

So Tannehill’s cap cost, originally $21.5 million in 2019 rockets to over $26.6 million. And the cost of walking away from Tannehill, should he play poorly this coming season, goes from $2.3 million total to $13.4 million.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article205964724.html

so absolutely, Tanny is the QB for the foreseeable future. it now just cost too much to move on from him.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:48 am

So crazy that they removed the easy out that was built into the contract after 2018 - when Tannehill is coming off a major knee injury. Very strange timing. Tannenbaum loves to push money back - it's really the only thing he's good at.

We are expected to have a lot of cap space in 2019 - but that space shrinks every day as Tannenbaum just can't stop messing with contracts.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm

JMP wrote:Tannenbaum loves to push money back - it's really the only thing he's good at.

We are expected to have a lot of cap space in 2019 - but that space shrinks every day as Tannenbaum just can't stop messing with contracts.

The only thing he's good at!!!   Now that is funny.  Sad for us Phin Phans, but funny too. Also true.

We have older expensive free agents that need to be signed, JMP.  You can't do that without piling lots of salary into upcoming years.

When you draft as pissoir poorly as the Phins, this is the route you must go to field a team capable of going in the area of .500 and missing the playoffs.

It seems like Tannebaum is a master of this strategy.

Shocked

Rolling Eyes
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm

finfanatic wrote:
JMP wrote:Tannenbaum loves to push money back - it's really the only thing he's good at.

The only thing he's good at!!!   Now that is funny.  Sad for us Phin Phans, but funny too. Also true.

We have older expensive free agents that need to be signed, JMP.  You can't do that without piling lots of salary into upcoming years.

When you draft as pissoir poorly as the Phins, this is the route you must go to field a team capable of going in the area of .500 and missing the playoffs.

It seems like Tannebaum is a master of this strategy.

Shocked

Rolling Eyes

What's interesting is that he fills all the roster holes with older veterans, and the theory is that that allows him to draft best player available. But as I've said, where and when are these draft picks going to play? You already filled all the starting jobs, so now in the draft you're really looking for role plauyers and backups that can maybe be starters in 2-3 years when the vets age or price out. IMO that seems like a very outdated way of looking at the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:25 pm

In theory it's actually kind of smart, but ONLY if you make a ton of "right" moves AND hit on the majority of your draft picks.

For great GMs, that's rare. Tannebaum is not a great GM.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next