The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason

4 posters

Go down

Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason Empty Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 am

Looks like Miami will be drafting a couple of DE...

Josh Houtz wrote:According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Miami Dolphins “assuredly” will move on from defensive end Andre Branch and Robert Quinn this offseason.
Quinn, 28, was traded to the Dolphins last offseason in exchange for a 4th-round pick. However, with one year remains on his contract, it appears unlikely he will return to the team in 2019
Branch, 30, has been a disappointment since signing his 3 year, $24-million contract in 2017. (Thanks, Mike T!)
Releasing both players would free up $13-million towards the team’s 2019 salary cap.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/2/26/18240892/miami-dolphins-to-move-on-from-pass-rushers-robert-quinn-and-andre-branch

I believe that this is a good move for Miami since they have little to no cap space even if they wanted to keep a couple of players before they hit FA, Miami wouldn't have enough to find anyone new.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason Empty Re: Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason

Post by white1 Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 am

Both are gone, and I'd be highly surprised if Wake is signed (he is an UFA this year).

Barry Jackson laid out the situation for the team's front 7, and concluded we are looking at adding approximately 5 players there. Holdouts will likely by V Taylor, Godchaux, C Harris (OLB in our scheme) and a couple cheap guys I forget.

I don't care if we draft 1 or 2 guys, and fill in the rest with cheap free agents and undrafted free agents. We're looking for different player types, different strengths, versatility at a premium and youth. Get it done!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason Empty Re: Dolphins plan to move on from Robert Quinn and Andre Branch this offseason

Post by JMP Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20 am

During the Combine when teams are talking, I hope the Phins put out feelers to see if Charles Harris has any value. If someone is willing to trade a 4th, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

But yeah, rebuilding this defense is high priority. So much dead weight being carried...need a total rebuild.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:23 am

During the Combine when teams are talking, I hope the Phins put out feelers to see if Charles Harris has any value. If someone is willing to trade a 4th, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

But yeah, rebuilding this defense is high priority. So much dead weight being carried...need a total rebuild.

Good thought. My guess is that given his performance, he has no value in trade. Or, the value we would get (think future 7th round pick) would be outweighed by giving him one final shot at the position he's best suited for. We all know he's not a 4-3 traditional DE. It's possible he will blossom in a scheme that features what he does well.

In any case, I'm thinking it's a real long shot we trade him. He plays out his rookie deal and barring miraculous emergence, is released next offseason.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 am

I don't think Harris has any value what so ever at this point there are not many teams that are looking for a player that can come in and do nothing.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am

white1 wrote:

Good thought.  My guess is that given his performance, he has no value in trade.  Or, the value we would get (think future 7th round pick) would be outweighed by giving him one final shot at the position he's best suited for.  We all know he's not a 4-3 traditional DE.  It's possible he will blossom in a scheme that features what he does well.

In any case, I'm thinking it's a real long shot we trade him.  He plays out his rookie deal and barring miraculous emergence, is released next offseason.

Unless something drastically changes, Harris looks like a dead end.  I don't see him having the speed, strength, athleticism or instincts to play OLB, and as you said he's not a DE.  Will he even make it out of training camp???

That said, I agree that we keep him if no team offers anything worthwhile, only because he's cheap, but I don't see him being a Dolphin beyond 2020.

As for his value, who knows? There may be teams that coveted him in the draft and still think they can work with him. He's a high character guy who works hard, and he's young enough that teams may still see upside.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 am

Harris had 172 chances to rush the quarterback this past season. He had just one sack and 16 hurries in those 172 chances.

So it’s no surprise that PFF rated him 75th among defensive ends from a pass rush productivity standpoint. (Wake was rated fourth.)

Harris was even worse against the run, ranking 93rd around 108 defensive ends in that category.

The problem with Harris, defensive coordinator Matt Burke revealed before he took a job on the Eagles’ defensive staff, is he thinks too much – instead of just playing fast – and “he’s had some opportunities where he just doesn’t have that last kind of finishing touch.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article226512495.html

i think Harris is what he is.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm

The problem with Harris, defensive coordinator Matt Burke revealed before he took a job on the Eagles’ defensive staff, is he thinks too much – instead of just playing fast – and “he’s had some opportunities where he just doesn’t have that last kind of finishing touch.”

So, how can we expect Harris to get better in a defensive scheme where he'll actually have more responsibilities? In that Burke defense, his job was essentially to "get upfield"...that's really all the DEs were asked to do. Now, in this new defense, he'll have several different roles and responsibilities. If he's "thinking too much" with one responsibility, how can he possibly handle more??? I just don't see it.

I suppose you can try to use him as strictly a pass rush OLB...but then again, he has proven to be an awful pass rusher who lacks instinct and closing speed. Like I said, if he's still in Miami post-draft, I'm not convinced he'll make it out of training camp.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Good catch and it's a valid point. We've already heard that football IQ is really high on the list for this defense, because it's multiple and responsibilities within the scheme will change week to week. Hard to see Harris fitting into that model...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:55 am

sounds like Josh Sittons is on the chopping block as well. No surprise he wasnt fully healthy last year and he is 33 so it gonna make it impossible for him to be traded

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down