The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney Empty Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney

Post by JMP Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 39m
#Texans franchised pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney has met in person with #Dolphins coach Brian Flores and other members of the organization’s brass, sources say. There has been speculation that Miami is a possible landing spot.

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley
·
33m
As @RapSheet has reported, the Dolphins' Brian Flores has met with Jadaveon Clowney in recent days to discuss a possible future in Miami. Clowney does have leverage because he has not signed the tag.

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley
·
31m
Again, a deal is not in place with the Dolphins, but this is very real, friends.

And Armando chimes in:
https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article234438702.html

Armando wrote:The Miami Dolphins have re-engaged with the Houston Texans to explore the possibility of making a trade that would bring Jadeveon Clowney to Miami, and consider themselves the leader in the sweepstakes to land the pass rusher.

The Dolphins recently visited with Clowney, who met multiple persons within the organization as part of a recruiting effort of sorts to get the player to accept a trade to Miami. Part of this effort included a meeting with coach Brian Flores.

This is a stunning departure in what has become an ongoing negotiation between the Dolphins and Texans because two weeks ago the Dolphins had decided to back out of the Clowney sweepstakes altogether based on the Houston asking price that included at least one first-round pick.

The Dolphins at the time balked because they are expecting to use their first-round pick next year and possibly the next couple of years (in a package) to draft a quarterback.

But multiple sources say the two teams now have a more clear idea what a potential trade would look like and it does not include a first-rounder next year going from the Dolphins to Houston. This makes the deal more palatable for the Dolphins.

It remains unclear what exactly the Dolphins would offer, or more importantly, give for Clowney because such a trade can be basically a two-year rental if the team cannot get the player to sign a long-term contract.

Multiple Miami players have been mentioned in trade rumors the past couple of days including wide receiver Kenny Stills and linebacker Kiko Alonso. Such a deal could also include later and conditional draft choice considerations.

My take: as long as we aren't giving up Tunsil or a 1st, I'm all over this trade. Clowney is a very good pass rusher and a top-shelf run defender, and he can play different roles in multiple defenses. The money will be insane, but he's only 26. I'm all in! Make it happen, Grier!!!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney Empty Clowney Trade

Post by white1 Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Rumor: Dolphins Texans working on trade.

They wanted first round pick. Regardless of how good a prospect he was his stats don’t nearly bear that price.

Sounds like players now part of package (likely Stills plus Alonzo) along with later pick(s). That makes more sense.

If he does well this year could be a fixture at pass rush.

If Tunsil is part of this trade, very bad move. Proven LT is a building block not a chip for a trade.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney Empty Re: Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney

Post by white1 Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:27 pm

Ok this is interesting. Clowney is definitely valuable.

If you trade away Tunsil, you’re definitely putting the offense in a hole. It begs the question, how do you approach building a team? Start with defense? If that’s the case, sure Clowney works.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney Empty Re: Phins trying to acquire Jadeveon Clowney

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Hasn't this been a rumor for about 2 weeks? Worst kept secret in the NFL.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Flores is a defensive coach. Defensive head coaches' opinion of their team's offense tend to range from "just along for the ride" to "completely irrelevant since my D will be good enough to win every game 13-10".

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Also, as long as Stills is part of the trade I could not care less who or what else is included. I just want that bum BOH. (That's boom, outta here.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm

It’s very interesting.

One could draw the conclusion that Rosen has proven to be just as good as Fitz, with less time, and that he’s a viable starter longer term.

Pairing a young QB with an excellent defense makes sense, it takes pressure off. Also, Texans need a running back with Miller on IR. Move Drake? Yes in a heartbeat.

I’ll do Drake, Alonso and Stills for Clowney plus a 2nd round pick, plus I’ll pick up salary on the expensive players. Deal?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:28 pm

I know I’m greedy but I want to keep Tunsil. We need something on the offensive line!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:33 pm

If there’s one thing we’ve got it’s money. Why? We have no franchise QB.

Agree on Tunsil. Create a package that preserves our capacity to take a QB next year, keep Tunsil, I’m all in.

Clowney is a great building block on defense.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:34 pm

**TOPICS MERGED

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm

The 2 keys to this trade IMO:

1. Clowney's age...just 26 and entering his prime. I don't mind giving a big $, long-term deal to a young ascending player.

2. As white points out, we're not paying big $ to a QB right now, so why not use the money on a young cornerstone defender? The only high dollar guys on the roster long-term are Howard and (soon) Tunsil, so why not?

Clowney is an ideal fit in this defense...I'd love to see him in Miami.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Rumor has it that the Phins are close to extending Tunsil - so hopefully he's safe.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Is this a leverage thing from Clowney's side?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:26 am

The Houston Texans have dangled a first-round draft choice and Pro Bowl edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney in a proposed trade for Dolphins left tackle Laremy Tunsil, but the Dolphins have asked for more than that, according to two league sources.

According to one person briefed on the discussions, the Dolphins have asked the Texans for another high draft pick in addition to Clowney and a first-round pick.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234539572.html

might Tunsil be involved in the trade or are the Phins just toying with Houston?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm

Wow. I think this is real. If the Texans do in fact trade away Clowney, a 1st round pick and say a 3rd round pick for Tunsil, you're talking two starters - one of which is a pro bowl caliber pass rusher - and a pick with a good chance to net another starter, for one player.

It makes sense in that pass rusher is just as important as premium LT. The disparity is due to the contracts. Tunsil is locked up for two more years on his rookie deal, with potential for a 3rd if you use the franchise tag. Meanwhile, Clowney is going to come to us on a franchise tag, without the capability to even sign him to a long term deal until next offseason. This could be a one year rental, in effect, if either the Fins or Clowney is disenchanted with how this works out.

So, using that view, yes it's reasonable for the Fins to be asking for a 1st round pick plus another pick, because it's possible all we're getting from Clowney is one season.

By the way, Clowney himself is a road block right now because he doesn't want to come to rebuilding team. He prefers a contender. By not signing the tag, he can veto any trade that does get worked out.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:40 pm

I would have to seriously consider a trade that nets us Clowney and TWO firsts for Tunsil. It sucks that we have absolutely no other legit LT on the roster that would ease the loss of Tunsil, but getting two firsts and a Pro Bowl defender is very tempting.

BTW - Clowney has already met with the Phins, so there is at least some interest on his side. I think he would be open to going to a team that is set to make a major jump next season, with him as a cornerstone piece with a huge salary.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Good point. We have a metric ton of cap space so the money is not an issue.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 pm

More stories that Clowney doesn't want Miami...but again, if that's the case why did he even meet with the Phins? But if true, fuck 'em...we'll become a contender without him and he can go count his money somewhere else.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Just a thought he could be signed in free agency next year without giving up Tunsil.

I bet offering the most money changes his mind on Miami
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:50 am

white1 wrote:Just a thought he could be signed in free agency next year without giving up Tunsil.

I bet offering the most money changes his mind on Miami

That's what I don't get...he's obviously all about the money, despite the 'I want to play for a contender line. The Phins are absolutely rolling in cap space for the foreseeable future, he's an ideal fit for their defense, and it's a team with a shit-ton of draft and cap resources available next offseason...and no state tax. Seems like a good fit to me, but again - if he doesn't see it, he can go fuck off.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 am

UPDATE: Clowney was traded to the Seahawks, who ironically have about an equal chance of making the Super Bowl as the Texans do: zero. Clowney wanted to play for a contender, but I guess he'll settle for another team that will squeak into the playoffs and do nothing. Fuck him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:43 pm

The return Houston got is laughable.

They would have needed to add two firsts plus Clowney to get Tunsil.

That’s a QBs value. No question a hard deal to try and swing but it would have been a good move adding yet more draft capital.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 pm

JMP wrote:UPDATE: Clowney was traded to the Seahawks, who ironically have about an equal chance of making the Super Bowl as the Texans do: zero. Clowney wanted to play for a contender, but I guess he'll settle for another team that will squeak into the playoffs and do nothing.  Fuck him.

So let me get this straight...Clowney went from "I refuse to sign the franchise tender" to signing it literally overnight? Rolling Eyes Laughing Because that's the only way a trade could've even been made at all.

EDIT: And I see Tunsil and Stills got traded to the Texans anyway?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked Those first rounders damn well better be used to get the top pick--if this team doesn't earn it the old-fashioned way. I can almost guarantee this will be the lowest-scoring offense for a 16-game season in franchise history now. Maybe the lowest scoring ever.

As I said earlier, when a defensive coach takes over a team the offense tends to start sucking.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 pm

It’s all good! We got more for Tunsil and Stills (lol) than the Raiders got for Khalil Mack.

Mack is a generational talent. Tunsil? Not quite.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:04 pm

white1 wrote:It’s all good! We got more for Tunsil and Stills (lol) than the Raiders got for Khalil Mack.

Mack is a generational talent. Tunsil? Not quite.

Memphis beating Ole Piss and Stills getting traded makes me happy enough to ignore how bad this offense will be Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers

At this point I consider Tunsil to be collateral damage.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next