The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

According To Football Outsiders...

+5
CarsonChris
JMP
finfanatic
rightchea
DolFan 316
9 posters

Go down

According To Football Outsiders... Empty According To Football Outsiders...

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 am

Fitz was the 4th best QB and Parker the 3rd best WR this week.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-13-quick-reads

It's kind of amazing Fitzpatrick is this high considering his start to this game: 3-of-6 for 21 yards with one interception, two sacks, and zero first downs. But then his last pass of the first quarter was a 43-yard touchdown to DeVante Parker, and he caught fire from that point forward. He was fourth-worst in first-quarter DYAR this week, but first in DYAR from the second quarter onwards.

Parker had touchdowns of 17 and 43 yards against the Eagles, with two other catches of 34 yards or more. He had six first downs altogether, including his 9-yard DPI on third-and-10.

Tannehill, on the other hand came in 25th Shocked

Tannehill was good at the beginning and end of this game, but not so much in the middle. He threw for only one first down in the second and third quarters, going 9-of-11 for 65 yards with five sacks.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

According To Football Outsiders... Empty Re: According To Football Outsiders...

Post by rightchea Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 am

Tannehill being Tannehill. He a good game manager but not a good leader

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm

What the heck is up with Parker?

I was ready to jettison him and now he looks like the WR the Phins thought he would be when they drafted him?

He is using his size to his advantage, and I do not remember him doing that much before?

Good position coaching finally maybe?

Or is his contract almost up?

Anyway, he is looking good.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 pm

finfanatic wrote:What the heck is up with Parker?

I was ready to jettison him and now he looks like the WR the Phins thought he would be when they drafted him?

He is using his size to his advantage, and I do not remember him doing that much before?

Good position coaching finally maybe?

Or is his contract almost up?

Anyway, he is looking good.

Parker is not looking good, he's looking GREAT...borderline fantastic even!

I think his success has been a combination of three things:

1. Clearly he has matured and dedicated himself to taking care of his body and practicing his craft.
2. It is obvious that the coaching staff has worked hard to develop him and all the receivers. As I noted in a thread awhile back, Parker and all of the receivers are using their bodies to shield the defender and provide a squared-up target for the QB, and they are all excelling at high-pointing the ball. That is definitely a result of coaching, because we NEVER saw those things under previous staffs.
3. Having a QB that trusts in Parker AND is willing to throw him the ball even when he is covered has absolutely done wonders for Parker's confidence.

Put it all together, and we have a star in the making. I was all set to see the Phins cut his ass last season, but now I couldn't be happier that he has proved me wrong.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Parker is looking great and Gesicki is looking like a NFL player. he going after the ball when it is thrown to him and they are making the right plays at the right time. Just gotta get Wilson and Hurns some more opportunities out there as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Parker looked like a star in college. Bad coaching and lack of team leadership caused a significant drop off in performance.

I think coaching is changing his career.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:51 pm

I have to agree, Parker is one of those players that has to have someone getting on him all the time like a little get when they are doing wrong. Parker needs the type of coaching that Flores is giving him and making him own up to how he is playing

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:47 pm

I think the players respect this staff. I don’t think they respected Gase. Gase is a coordinator not a head coach. No it factor for the players.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:34 am

Throwing a bone to Degarmo and Jmp Cool Fitz didn't fare too well this time, being only the 15th best QB of the week.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-14-quick-reads

Red zone passing: 1-of-8 for 5 yards with no touchdowns and a sack. Keep in mind the Dolphins lost this game by one point.

At least he graded out better than Brady...And even Darnold, who came in 29th because Football Outsiders uses opponent adjustments, and the Fins' D is apparently so hideous that 270 yards, 2 TDs and a pick is considered a bad game against them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 am

where were the TEs in the red zone? Gesicki - 1 catch in 5 targets.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:07 am

mercury22nathan wrote:where were the TEs in the red zone?  Gesicki - 1 catch in 5 targets.

Yeah, it seemed like Fitz and Gesicki were never on the same page in that game - not sure what's up with that. Gesicki should be much more of a red zone target than he is.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:12 am

Think the problem is that Parker wasn't there to hold off the double team.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 am

Rightchea is probably right. With Parker and Wilson leaving, if I'm Gregg Williams I put a lot of focus immediately on stopping Gesicki. Probably also a reason that Isaih Ford was getting so many targets.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 pm

I think Parkers main influence in getting his numbers up is nothing more than the moxie that Fitz has.  I truly believe that Fitz is just biding his time and earning a paycheck.  He's got that "fuck it I ain't supposed to be franchise QB anyway" attitude.  Meaning he'll take a lot more risks than Rosen.  He'll run, he'll heave.  He'll just about do anything to make a play.  Honestly ask yourselves, how many actual jump balls has parker been thrown like that in his nfl career? He's probably had more in that Eagles game than his whole career.  

Parker is showing what Miami envisioned when they drafted him for sure.  But, why did it take someone like Fitzpatrick to show him how to use it? Or Culter when he was having a cup of coffee with us?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 am

Umix10 wrote:I think Parkers main influence in getting his numbers up is nothing more than the moxie that Fitz has.  I truly believe that Fitz is just biding his time and earning a paycheck.  He's got that "fuck it I ain't supposed to be franchise QB anyway" attitude.  Meaning he'll take a lot more risks than Rosen.  He'll run, he'll heave.  He'll just about do anything to make a play.  Honestly ask yourselves, how many actual jump balls has parker been thrown like that in his nfl career? He's probably had more in that Eagles game than his whole career.  

Parker is showing what Miami envisioned when they drafted him for sure.  But, why did it take someone like Fitzpatrick to show him how to use it?  Or Culter when he was having a cup of coffee with us?

Yeah, you have to wonder what Parker's previous coaches were thinking. It's not rocket science...look all around the NFL and you see tons of back-shoulder passes, come-backs and jump balls - all to take advantage of receivers' height and athletic advantages (and the NFL rules). We rarely did those things with Tannehill, but that's all Fitz is doing with Parker and Gesicki - throwing the ball up and allowing them to use their size and skill to make plays.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:39 pm

And it's not like Tannehill can't do it. I saw him do it a several times in the last couple weeks.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Degarmo wrote:And it's not like Tannehill can't do it.  I saw him do it a several times in the last couple weeks.

Exactly. But apparently those types of throws are beneath Gase...he's too smart to teach his QBs to do those things. Or something.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:58 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:And it's not like Tannehill can't do it.  I saw him do it a several times in the last couple weeks.

Exactly.  But apparently those types of throws are beneath Gase...he's too smart to teach his QBs to do those things.  Or something.

I think it's a case of chicken shit coaching. We saw it with Philbin, Cameron, Gase, even Sparano. They would just refuse to let their QBs play. Remember that first year when Henne slung the ball all over the place? The very next season they coached any chance he had of being a decent QB right out of him. He was never the same after they turned him into "Checkdown Chad".

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down