The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time to start Tua?

+4
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
8 posters

Go down

Is it time to start Tua? Empty Is it time to start Tua?

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am

JMP's game thoughts thread started creeping in this direction, but i figured i would start the official, "Is it time to start Tua" thread.

It’s time for the Dolphins to push Tua Tagovailoa into the lineup

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article246226895.html

Armando's already there.

me, i'm not there yet. i say we give Fitz this out west trip (49ers and Broncos) and if the Phins return 0-2, then Tua should get the home start against the Chargers.

what say you?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Is it time to start Tua? Empty Re: Is it time to start Tua?

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:33 am

It's an interesting question. At first I was fully on board with waiting as long as possible, because we had the "luxury" of starting Fitz. But as the weeks go by, I'm starting to realize (OK, I'm a little slow...) that Fitz no longer has any arm strength and can't throw deep. It's limiting the offense and is a big part of the reason we lost to the Seahawks and Bills.

I agree that waiting 2 weeks is probably the best plan. And Tua debuting in Miami against Herbert would be pretty cool!

The biggest question in all this, and one no one can answer yet, is: can Tua take a hit? He's obviously been cleared for everything and since the Phins have no other viable QB after Fitz/Tua they obviously think he's ready. But how does he respond to that first big hit? Based on everything I know about Tua, I don't anticipate any problems - the dude is like a machine - but you just never know. He hasn't seen live action since November (almost a year ago) so it is a bit of a mystery.

But yeah, I'm ready to see what he can do.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 pm

THis is starting to remind me a little of Woodley-Marino in '83. Just a little.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:13 pm

Can the little tyke beat out the veteran?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:THis is starting to remind me a little of Woodley-Marino in '83. Just a little.

I was talking about that with my brother today. He is absolutely livid that Tua isn't starting yet. I brought up Mahomes and Rodgers, and then I hit him with Marino! Dan didn't see the field till week 5 and got his first start week 6.

I don't think there needs to be a timetable with Tua. There's plenty of season left, and he'll start when the coaches feel he's ready - whatever that may mean. I'm OK with that, but I am chomping at the bit to see Tua! Just have to remember that this is about the long-term...not the present.

CarsonChris wrote:
Can the little tyke beat out the veteran?

Maybe Tua can slip a few bucks to the team doctor to "accidentally" puncture Fitz's lung while giving him a pain med injection. Why not...it worked for Justin Herbert! Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:52 pm

JMP wrote:I was talking about that with my brother today.  He is absolutely livid that Tua isn't starting yet.  I brought up Mahomes and Rodgers, and then I hit him with Marino!  Dan didn't see the field till week 5 and got his first start week 6.

Actually...Marino had the same number of TD passes as Woodley through five games (3) even though he wasn't starting at that point Shocked

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MariDa00/gamelog/1983/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodDa00/gamelog/1983/

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Mahomes sat his entire rookie year behind Alex Smith. Rodgers sat for 3(!) behind Favre.

If I recall, Carson Palmer and Culpepper also sat and learned during their respective rookie seasons.

I'd like for the O-line to be in place and jelling before Tua is out there. I don't see him sitting the entire season though.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:02 am

So, Flores said that Tua isn't ready to start just yet and Fitz still gives the team the best chance to win. So there you go...no Tua yet.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:58 pm

This is a loaded question only because of where he is drafted and the pandemic. The crappy part is that we aren't really into a win now season.

We have new defensive players, we have a new coordinator on both sides. Putting Tua in now will not put this team over the top. We cant even play prevent with less than a minute to go in he half. How is Tua going in gonna stop that?

Lets not for get that defensive schemes shift because he is a lefty. The Left tackle foundation now has to be a Right Tackle. Do we have a RT thats of the same Caliber as Austin Jackson? I highly doubt it. I am born and raised in Hawaii, no one in the world wants to see Tua play more than me. Trust me. But his opportunity doesnt go away no matter what. If the coaching staff's responsibility is to put players in the right position to succeed than shouldn't it be a no brainer to hand him the keys when its the right situation? I am no in love with Fitz at QB but in the end we are better off this year than we were last year. we are 1-3 not 0-4.

We gotta stick to the plan, and my plan is to let him play but not start. let him play in blow out games. Let him experience 1 Live NFL down. Let him get his legs under him. Let him take a hit against the 53rd guy on the roster as opposed to the top DE in the league. But let him play. Let him work his way. You can find ways to get him in. Fitz already knows that his days are numbered, we don't have to count by the hour if you know what I mean. Patience would be my approach.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:57 pm

Excellent post, Umix. That definitely seems like the best plan at this stage.

People like to bring up Burrow and Herbert - but the fact is, Burrow had no competition in Cincinnati and Herbert couldn't beat out Tyrod Taylor and is only playing because of a medical mishap. The Dolphins are in a position where they really don't have to start Tua until they feel 100% that he's ready (unless Fitz gets injured). No need to rush it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 am

wow, even for Armando this is some pretty shoddy thinking. he's trying to make the case (even before taking a snap) and imply that Tua is a bust...

Tagovailoa has so far been unable to beat out Fitzpatrick even though Miami’s veteran has been wildly inconsistent.

And make no mistake the Dolphins say they are making their quarterback decision in favor of Fitzpatrick based on which quarterback they believe is better.

That is a statement as much about Tagovailoa as Fitzpatrick.

Because so far the player selected No. 5 in the draft has been unable to beat out a career journeyman playing inconsistently.

The Dolphins, who study tape of their practices over and over to correct mistakes, have viewed those closed-door sessions for weeks and decided Tagovailoa isn’t ready to start. And Fitzpatrick, who has struggled in actual games, remains their better option.

The point is the team after two games last year felt more comfortable starting Rosen than it does with Tagovailoa now after four games. And Rosen wasn’t even good.

So what is Tagovailoa?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article246280925.html

i know, i know, he can't actually believe this. i think he has an over-inflated opinion of just how much weight his word carries in the Phins HQ (its none, actually). but i think he believes he can use some sort of reverse psychology on the Phins to "prove" him wrong by inserting Tua into the lineup to show he's not a bust.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:39 am

Armando is so off-base here. I guess Mahomes was a bust because he couldn't beat out Alex Smith for an entire season?? scratch

Fact is, Tua is coming off a major injury, hasn't seen real game action in over a year and didn't have a preseason. Add in the facts that we have a (somewhat) capable veteran and are in full rebuild mode, and there is no reason to throw Tua into the fire. Now, if Fitz gets hurt - by all means, Tua gets his shot. But for now, we have the luxury of letting Tua learn by watching a vet that has seen it all - and the added bonus is Tua gets even healthier and stronger as he waits.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:38 pm

I’m still sticking to Tua being a bust in year 3. 1 year on the bench, 1 year where he gets labeled a 1st year learning starter, year 3 failed draft pick. I’m still sticking with Hebert should have been the pick.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Tyrod is looking for a new starting gig.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Tyrod Taylor is a waste of time.

This year is nothing but development.  

A good coach will not rush anything at all.

If Tua's ready, he'll play.  If he's not ready, he won't.  If he's ready and the coach thinks the line isn't ready, no reason to David Carr him at all.  Fitzpatrick is what he is, and we all know what he is, and we all SHOULD have known this going in.

I know people are desperate to see what we have, and if he's ready to go, then play him, but if he's not, then he's not.  This is an odd season, and as much as preseason sucks ass, it is important in the development of a rookie to get those extra snaps and confidence.  Tua hasn't gotten any of that, so he's still behind.  He's not installing the game plan like Fitz does.  He's not getting most of the first-team snaps in practice, and with the CBA limiting practices to once a millennium that slows development even more.

This is certainly a case of patience wins.  I would not be surprised to see Tua sit the entire season, and quite frankly, I'm fine with that.  This is an asterisk year if I've ever seen one anyway.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Baker Mayfield.........and all that talent on offense...........nuff said
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:25 pm

I'm really stuck on this. I want them to do what is right for the team and Tua but damn I want to see the kids play and if he has it.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down