The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do we pick?

+4
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
JMP
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who do we pick?  Empty Who do we pick?

Post by CarsonChris Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:39 am

Alright everyone, who is the most likely player we pick with our 2nd round pick?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Who do we pick?  Empty Re: Who do we pick?

Post by JMP Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:01 am

If we stay at 51, at this point my top choice is Steve Avila (TCU) - he might not make it to 51, but he would be the obvious choice if available. I'd put him at guard but he can also play center.

Otherwise...I think everything is on the table. My best guess is OL or DL, but if a top DB drops that could be in play too. LB is also a possibility. I don't see RB or TE going that high for the Phins, but who knows.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:22 am

I personally would go TE. Right now it's the single most glaring need IMO and I wouldn't take a chance on anyone worthwhile still being around at 84.

If Avila or another O-lineman is the pick then we know Grier was lying about being happy with Eich and Jackson. But we also know that the pick will have at least a 90% chance of being a bust.

THEN AGAIN...if Jack Campbell is still around I would *have* to go with him.

Anyone else catch Grier trying to be all coy and talking about teams "reaching out" to trade picks later in the first?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:02 pm

John Michael Schmitz is where I am currently leaning. Potentially upgrading two interior line positions.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:17 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

If Avila or another O-lineman is the pick then we know Grier was lying about being happy with Eich and Jackson.

I don't believe anything any GM says at this time of year, so I wouldn't classify it as "lying". But I do think the team expects Jackson to secure the starting RT job, and I think LG is open.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:20 pm

HalCHorn wrote:John Michael Schmitz is where I am currently leaning.  Potentially upgrading two interior line positions.  

I definitely think Schmitz is a strong possibility for the Phins, but I have him going earlier (maybe as high as 13 to the Jets). I'm not in favor of moving Williams to LG, but if we draft Schmitz than we end up improving both LG and C so I'm definitely on board.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:35 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I personally would go TE. Right now it's the single most glaring need IMO and I wouldn't take a chance on anyone worthwhile still being around at 84.

I actually disagree with both premises.

I think our top two TEs are good enough. Saubert and Smythe are both decent blockers and decent receivers, and can handle the low-target rate that Dolphins TEs will see. Certainly, we can upgrade the position - but I don't see a clear upgrade being available at 51. I'd also add that rookie TEs rarely make an impact, and the overwhelming majority of rookie TEs can't block worth a damn. So unless we can get Washington, chances are that any drafted TE will be 3rd string. I also think we can find a quality day 3 TE in this class.

I'm not against a TE (or RB for that matter) in round 2, mind you, I just don't think a likely 3rd stringer is the best use of limited draft resources.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:25 pm

I hope Grier can arrange a nice trade down. There are a few teams LOADED with picks and no way do they want to use all those picks in this draft.

I say trade that #51 for a 3rd rounder, a 5th rounder and 6th or maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder next year.

PFN is showing me these selections at #51:
29. Calijah Kancey DT Pittsburgh

43. Jack Campbell LB Iowa
46. Mazi Smith DT Michigan

47. John Michael Schmitz OC Minnesota

48. Drew Sanders LB Arkansas

49. Keion White EDGE Georgia Tech

53. Steve Avila OG TCU

54. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon State

55. DJ Turner CB Michigan

57. Tuli Tuipulotu EDGE USC

59. Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA

Grier should PROBABLY go with Jack Lambert but I suspect he goes for Schmitz or Avila. Next up would be Kancey or Smith at DT.

I would prefer the Phins trade down, but... if the comparisons to Aaron Donald are accurate, and Kancey is there...
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:12 pm

If Kancey is there when we pick, I am not even thinking twice...I'm getting that pick in so fast it would make Goodell's head spin. That guy is a monster, and I'd be shocked if he falls out of the top 25. But some players will drop - they can't all be first rounders - so you never know.

But yes, I'm all in for a trade down.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:34 pm

finfanatic wrote:Grier should PROBABLY go with Jack Lambert...

Freudian slip methinks Razz Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:47 pm

JMP wrote:If Kancey is there when we pick, I am not even thinking twice...I'm getting that pick in so fast it would make Goodell's head spin.  That guy is a monster, and I'd be shocked if he falls out of the top 25.  But some players will drop - they can't all be first rounders - so you never know.

But yes, I'm all in for a trade down.  

In almost every mock I do, I trade down if there's an offer. So...yeah. But then again in almost every mock I do Washington and Campbell are gone by then.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:56 pm

I want to Trade Down in this Draft to get more Picks also keep the Picks we have Next Year since we already loss one because of Mr Ross.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:47 pm

finfanatic wrote:I hope Grier can arrange a nice trade down. There are a few teams LOADED with picks and no way do they want to use all those picks in this draft.

I say trade that #51 for a 3rd rounder, a 5th rounder and 6th or maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder next year.

PFN is showing me these selections at #51:
29. Calijah Kancey DT Pittsburgh

43. Jack Campbell LB Iowa
46. Mazi Smith DT Michigan

47. John Michael Schmitz OC Minnesota

48. Drew Sanders LB Arkansas

49. Keion White EDGE Georgia Tech

53. Steve Avila OG TCU

54. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon State

55. DJ Turner CB Michigan

57. Tuli Tuipulotu EDGE USC

59. Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA

Grier should PROBABLY go with Jack Lambert but I suspect he goes for Schmitz or Avila. Next up would be Kancey or Smith at DT.

I would prefer the Phins trade down, but... if the comparisons to Aaron Donald are accurate, and Kancey is there...

That definitely cries for a trade down.

Hypothetically, if LB's Campbell and Sanders are both available and BPA's, which one do you pick?

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:40 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Hypothetically, if LB's Campbell and Sanders are both available and BPA's, which one do you pick?

That very same scenario happened to me just now. I went with Campbell.

Also got LaPorta at 84, RB Camerun Peoples at 197 and FF's favorite Bumper Pool at 238.

Tried to trade up for Kancey and teams weren't having it. Broncos took him at 39.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:53 pm

OKAY...so what does everyone think about T Wanya Morris at 125? Chargers offered me 54 and 125 for 51 and 238 and I couldn't resist. I was so scared they'd pick Campbell but nope, I got him anyway. LaPorta pick was the same. Took Morris and then RB Keaton Mitchell at 197.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:45 pm

Morris would be an excellent pick at 125. I suspect he goes higher, maybe late 3rd/early 4th due to his physical tools, some team will grab him earlier than anticipated.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:25 am

I Will Pretend we are staying at #51 and give You a Pick Thursday Morning, Builds up Anticipation.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:27 pm

Jack Lambert! Sheesh! Yeah... If we knew Campbell was gonna be Lambert-like... THAT would be the pick!

Laughing

If I can trade down and get picks in the 120 thru 150 range, I often select OG Vorhees. I suspect this guy may be the BMNSOB of a OG the Phins have been looking for. He seems to be dropping rather than rising though, so...

Another OT worth a look is John Ojukwu. Of course, there's always Jaxson Kirkland?

What does everyone think of OT Jordan McFadden from Clemson. I read one draft guru who says he will be a OG and one who says he is a RT at best?

Then again, Grier may be serious when he says Eichenberg and Jackson can do the job?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:19 pm

finskev wrote:I Will Pretend we are staying at #51 and give You a Pick Thursday Morning, Builds up Anticipation.

I'm holding you to that and expecting a post from you by 10 AM CST at the latest! Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:22 pm

finfanatic wrote:Jack Lambert! Sheesh!   Yeah... If we knew Campbell was gonna be Lambert-like... THAT would be the pick!

Laughing

If I can trade down and get picks in the 120 thru 150 range, I often select OG Vorhees. I suspect this guy may be the BMNSOB of a OG the Phins have been looking for. He seems to be dropping rather than rising though, so...

Another OT worth a look is John Ojukwu. Of course, there's always Jaxson Kirkland?

What does everyone think of OT Jordan McFadden from Clemson. I read one draft guru who says he will be a OG and one who says he is a RT at best?

Then again, Grier may be serious when he says Eichenberg and Jackson can do the job?

TBH I'd actually rather not see Grier draft O-line after pick 51. This draft is supposedly really shallow and weak there anyway and given this team's complete inability to find one in the draft after the first round (Hunt was the acorn the blind squirrel found and even he isn't exactly elite, also he was the 39th pick) I say it's better to just sign some undrafted guys.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:02 am

Isaiah Foskey

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:13 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Isaiah Foskey

That's a sneaky-good pick. He seems to fit the mold of an edge rusher in this D.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:30 pm

You guys know that the Fins aren't going to draft anybody we want, right? They do this literally every year. It's now reached the point where if we want them to draft somebody we're better off never mentioning those players' names here at all!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:14 pm

I say we go DJ Turner as corner is always a need. I think he has the ability to be elite in the right system.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:33 am

With losing our 1st round pick and Tua's concussions I really have zero draft interest this year. I'll just see who we pick and the discussions afterwards.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next