The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins

+4
DolFan 316
JEGnj
white1
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins Empty Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:39 pm

The Dolphins took care of business today, defeating the Patriots 31-17 to get to 6-2.  It wasn’t always pretty, but a 14-point victory over a division foe is always a great thing.

Tua Tagovailoa is now 6-0 against Bill Belichick, and has beaten the coach more times than any other QB.

With no running game to speak of, Tua shredded the New England D, finishing with 30 completions, 324 yards and 3 TDs.  He did throw an INT and had several other passes that could have been picked, but overall he made big plays all day and got the job done.

Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle both eclipsed 100 yards, combining for an insane 15 catches, 233 yards and 2 TDs.  Hill’s TD was a gorgeous 42-yarder that saw him absolutely torch a CB and a safety, and Tua dropped the ball right in the bucket.  Waddle’s TD was a 31-yarder, on a 3rd and 1 after Tua executed a perfect fake handoff.  The Patriots’ D bit on the fake, leaving Waddle wide open for an easy score.  Waddle did have a couple of drops, but he made up for it with a dominant performance.  Hill now has over 1,000 yards after 8 games!

As mentioned, the run game was all but non-existent.  Raheem Mostert led the way with 46 yards, and the RB corps combined for just 70 yards on the ground.  Mostert did have a rushing TD, his 10th score of the season.

The offensive line played pretty well, considering that Lester Cotton and Liam Eichenberg started again.  RG Robert Hunt left the game in the first half with a leg injury, replaced by Robert Jones (who had a couple of penalties).  LT Kendall Lamm briefly left with an abdomen injury (replaced by Kion Smith), but fortunately returned.  Tua was only sacked twice behind this makeshift line.  This OL cannot keep sustaining all these injuries – it is absurd at this point.  

The defense had a few really bad drives, allowing a TD on the Patriots' third drive and an 80-yard TD drive in the 4th quarter that brought the Pats within 7.  But other than those two drives, the defense was excellent.  Jalen Ramsey started his first game as a Dolphin, and recorded an INT (with a big return that led to a Miami FG) and a forced fumble (not recovered by the Phins).  The team had three sacks, one each from the surging Bradley Chubb, Christian Wilkins and Jae Phillips. Eli Apple had a couple of key third down tackles, and DeShon Elliott leveled former Dolphin DeVante Parker to force an incompletion.  The D also held the Pats to a FG after the Tua INT deep in Miami territory. The Patriots totaled just 218 yards, and went 1 for 9 on third down.

At times it did seem like the game was closer than it should have been, but at the end of the day the Dolphins dominated and walked away with a double-digit division win.

Next up: a trip to Germany to take on the AFC’s top team, the Kansas City Chiefs.  The Dolphins have been unable to beat good teams so far, so this is a huge test and a golden opportunity to change the narrative.

Hero of the Game: I'll give it to the Tua-Hill-Waddle three-headed monster, who destroyed the Patriots defense like Godzilla stomping on Tokyo.

Goat of the Game: I honestly don't think anyone is deserving - and that's a good thing!

Last edited by JMP on Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins Empty Re: Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins

Post by white1 Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:56 pm

Great write up JMP!

Totally echo your thoughts. Didn’t play great, left some plays on the field, and still won by two scores. Hard to complain about that.

Buffalo would have killed for an “ugly win” against the Pats 😀

Getting Ramsey back is huge. Add Howard and Holland and we take the next step on defense.

Offense we need Amrstead and Williams back. Thinking at least Williams plays in Germany. We can’t run effectively with Eich inside…
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins Empty Re: Week 8 Game Thoughts: Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JEGnj Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:02 pm

Goats of the game are X, Armstead, and Williams for being soft ass pansies. Ramsey worked to get back on the field and these 3 are milking it.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:21 pm

JEGnj wrote:Goats of the game are X, Armstead, and Williams for being soft ass pansies. Ramsey worked to get back on the field and these 3 are milking it.

I love how this is likely the one place on the entire internet that the words "soft ass pansies" can still be typed without punishment cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:28 pm

JMP wrote:As mentioned, the run game was all but non-existent.  Raheem Mostert led the way with 46 yards, and the RB corps combined for just 70 yards on the ground.  Mostert did have a rushing TD, his 10th score of the season.

Without Achane it's been a night and day difference, and I told everybody losing him hurt the offense more than losing Tua.

[quote[The offensive line played pretty well, considering that Lester Cotton and Liam Eichenberg started again.  RG Robert Hunt left the game in the first half with a leg injury, replaced by Robert Jones (who had a couple of penalties).  LT Kendall Lamm briefly left with an abdomen injury (replaced by Kion Smith), but fortunately returned.  Tua was only sacked twice behind this makeshift line.  This OL cannot keep sustaining all these injuries – it is absurd at this point.[/quote]

And THIS is why Grier should've traded for an O-lineman instead of Claypool (yes, I know he finally caught a pass today, whoopee). There's no universe in which this team "needed" a 5th WR more than another O-lineman. And Grier absolutely should've known this considering Armstead is a walking emergency room and Williams I believe had started having groin issues at the time. I will ask the question again, does Grier even know other teams have practice squads? He HAS to sign or trade for SOMEBODY there now.

Next up: a trip to Germany to take on the AFC’s top team, the Kansas City Chiefs.  The Dolphins have been unable to beat good teams so far, so this is a huge test and a golden opportunity to change the narrative.

Oh no...PLEASE don't tell me you're already slipping back into your old ways affraid affraid affraid Just I thought we'd finally had a breakthrough and you were cured Crying or Very sad Razz

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:31 pm

Also I see the officials didn't get involved this time. They're letting the heat die down before screwing the Fins over in Germany. There's no way they'll be allowed to win that one so in a weird, twisted way it's actually a blessing to have all these injuries now. I expect at least 5 players to be back after the bye. I'll even go as far as to say McDaniel should actually tank this game. Who really cares if the Fins lose by 1 or by 40? Either way the narrative will continue. I couldn't care less about the fans in Germany being entertained, I won't be awake for this one anyway.

EDIT: espn.com is telling me the Broncos beat the Chiefs 24-9, but I'm not falling for that fake news from that woke company. And it doesn't matter anyway, the NFL has already rigged the next game.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:33 pm

EDIT: espn.com is telling me the Broncos beat the Chiefs 24-9, but I'm not falling for that fake news from that woke company. And it doesn't matter anyway, the NFL has already rigged the next game.

Pretty awesome. We were all worried about a "trap" game, the Chiefs fell head first into the trap!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:49 pm

Jmp you missed the most important part though--Julian Hill finally caught a pass! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Seriously, that's earth-shattering paradigm-shifting stuff right there.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:56 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:As mentioned, the run game was all but non-existent.  Raheem Mostert led the way with 46 yards, and the RB corps combined for just 70 yards on the ground.  Mostert did have a rushing TD, his 10th score of the season.

Without Achane it's been a night and day difference, and I told everybody losing him hurt the offense more than losing Tua.

[quote[The offensive line played pretty well, considering that Lester Cotton and Liam Eichenberg started again.  RG Robert Hunt left the game in the first half with a leg injury, replaced by Robert Jones (who had a couple of penalties).  LT Kendall Lamm briefly left with an abdomen injury (replaced by Kion Smith), but fortunately returned.  Tua was only sacked twice behind this makeshift line.  This OL cannot keep sustaining all these injuries – it is absurd at this point.

And THIS is why Grier should've traded for an O-lineman instead of Claypool (yes, I know he finally caught a pass today, whoopee). There's no universe in which this team "needed" a 5th WR more than another O-lineman. And Grier absolutely should've known this considering Armstead is a walking emergency room and Williams I believe had started having groin issues at the time. I will ask the question again, does Grier even know other teams have practice squads? He HAS to sign or trade for SOMEBODY there now.

Oh no...PLEASE don't tell me you're already slipping back into your old ways  affraid  affraid  affraid Just I thought we'd finally had a breakthrough and you were cured  Crying or Very sad  Razz

[/quote]

I think the OL injuries have had more impact than the Achane injury. Especially losing Williams - he is the key to the run game IMO.

As for the Claypool trade, it has nothing to do with adding an O-lineman. They can still trade for OL, regardless of adding Claypool or not. But where are all these great OL that teams are just dying to trade to the Dolphins? scratch

Next week is a huge test for the Phins - regardless of how anyone feels about this team, that's just simple truth.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:04 pm

Three things I didn't mention:

Ced Wilson with a great catch for a TD, on a dart from Tua.  Great to see other players getting involved in the endzone.

Claypool's catch was awesome.  He tucked the ball away, lowered his head, and just bulled through a group of defenders for extra yards.  He also had a couple of nice blocks.  This dude is HUGE and he adds a physical presence to the offense.

Julian Hill was wide open a couple of times, even though he didn't have a catch.  I expect him to be more involved in the passing game in the second half of the season. EDIT: as 316 reminded me, Hill actually did have a catch - just a short grab for 2 or 3 yards.

Last edited by JMP on Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:07 pm

Every team gets injured, and there have been more injuries across the league since the first week than I've ever seen in 40 years of following the NFL. You just have to power through. Kirk Cousins is likely out for the season now after never having missed a game to injury in his career. And then there's the Jets' situation...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38775576/jets-overcome-offensive-ineptitude-injuries-3rd-win-row

The Jets had their own adversity, as they lost two centers to potentially serious injuries -- Connor McGovern (knee) and Wes Schweitzer (calf). Guard Xavier Newman, promoted from the practice squad Saturday, was pressed into the pivot. With no regular-season experience at center -- he played a little in the preseason for the Tennessee Titans -- his first snap to Wilson was a fumble that was recovered by the Giants.

The most basic play in football -- the center-quarterback exchange -- was no longer a gimme for the Jets. At one point, they were holding in-game auditions, with left guard Laken Tomlinson trying a few snaps between series.

Saleh said "there was panic on the sideline" until offensive line coach Keith Carter barked, "Shut the F up!" to everyone.

Newman settled down for the second half.

"It was flawless," Wilson said.

If a practice squad guy can snap it properly, there's really no excuse for Williams (not that there ever really was to begin with).

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:14 pm

That Jets game was so frustrating. The Giants had the game won, and then decided to attempt a FG in a driving rain storm with 23 seconds left instead of taking the clock down as much as possible and leaving the Jets with a long field, no timeouts, and no time. Daboll totally screwed up and blew the game.

Lots of injuries in that game - Tyrod Taylor and Darren Waller got hurt too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:17 pm

I'm now actually leaning towards Williams being re-signed (still can't stand him though) and moved to guard for good while Grier finally signs or drafts a legit center.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I'm now actually leaning towards Williams being re-signed (still can't stand him though) and moved to guard for good while Grier finally signs or drafts a legit center.

I'd re-sign him and keep him at center. He's been fantastic there, aside from the occasional high snap.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:11 am

Yeah, I think you have to find a way to retain Williams.

We could let the draft "come to us" and higher ranked player is the one chosen: whether it's a center, LG, or a OT that we could kick inside to LG. If we take a Center, then Williams goes to LG.

With one player we could upgrade two spots on the line...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:41 am

The Dolphins getting a 14-point win over a divisional rival to stay atop the AFC East. That is the main takeaway from this game. The game felt very up and down and the Patriots should not have been within one score halfway through the 4th quarter, but it was mistakes on Miami’s offense that kept them in the game. Giving away 10 points off of turnovers was almost the difference. Otherwise, the defense only gave up a single long scoring drive and held New England to 1 of 9 on 3rd and 1 of 2 on 4th – that’s winning defense. Even if it sometimes didn’t feel like it – giving up a completion percentage of 66% with 5 passes going for more that 14 yards and a couple runs over 10 yards.

Ramsey paid immediate dividends. Both Waddle and Hill were phenomenal and yet still had far too many drops (up and down). The running game was non-existent save for a pair of 10-yard plus runs by Mostert and Wilson. And given the M*A*S*H unit that is O-line its rather amazing they only gave up 2 sacks. Tua was up and down with an interception and some inaccurate throws, but overall produced more than enough with some absolute dimes to get the job done. The TD to Tyreek was lights out.

As of last Monday, New England was a team on the upswing with Miami ready to fall off a cliff – not so much today.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:45 am

mercury22nathan wrote:5 passes going for more that 14 yards and a couple runs over 10 yards.

Those stats are really crazy when you consider that, despite the relatively high number of big plays, the Pats finished with a net of 141 passing yards and 77 rushing yards. It seemed like almost all their big plays came on the two TD drives!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am

Interesting note on the defense. Despite allowing an average of 25.5* points per game, we have actually allowed 21 or fewer points in 5 of the 8 games. Obviously, that stat is at least partially a result of facing bad offenses in those 5 games - but still impressive.

(*If you take out the two pick-6's the offense has thrown, the defense is allowing 23.75 points per game.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:08 am

Cool post-game Jalen Ramsey Q&A:
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/lists/dolphins-jalen-ramsey-patriots-injury-recovery/

Some highlights:

"...I’m happy I had an interception, but I definitely don’t want that to be the storyline. I just want to talk about how we got a good hard-fought division win. My success, it comes from the preparation that I put in and the team around me. It’s not just me. I work really hard during the week to prepare myself to feel like Jalen Ramsey and it’s just a product of it. But it was a great, hard-fought win for the team, so that was dope.”

"It was a good play, but in order for it to be a great play, in order for me to help the team out a little bit more, I should have scored. I’ve got to find a way to do that.”

This one is funny - a response to how the knee injury occurred...I'm sure Tyreek saw it differently!  LOL

"I was locking up Tyreek one day in practice, and I made a break, and I don’t know, my knee just popped or something, gave out."

“I told the whole team I was going to get a pick today. Told the whole team that. I’ve been telling the whole team for a couple weeks that I was going to get a pick my first game.”

"...I really don’t care about what a lot of other people say. I’ve got a core group of family, friends, and then my teammates, coaches and everybody who I do care what they’re going to think about me and how I handle my business and how I go about my days, game days, whatever it may be. So it was more so about proving them right today. Like before the game I was just telling everybody, ‘yo, I’m going to be as advertised today, to y’all.’ Like Mike, I’m going to prove you right; like Chris, I’m going to prove you right today. Today is going to be one of those days for me where – that’s really what it was about. It wasn’t about proving somebody wrong, but I did that, too, huh.”

Ramsey seems like a true professional.  He's got the right mix of humility and swagger, and he's clearly a team-first player.  Having him on the field is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade for the defense, one that could take the Dolphins a long way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:23 am

What I thought was an obvious attempt by McD to break his own offensive tendencies, was using the TE, the RBs, and the FB in the passing game. Ingold didn't do much, but just the threat of a swing pass or circle route to the FB made the safeties and LBs have to watch for it.

Yeah, the Oline was/is dropping like flies feasting on old time highly toxic, water-table polluting flybait! The kind that used to actually WORK!

Again, I ain't hoping for MUCH against the Chiefs, but who knows? Get a half-way decent Oline that allows the Phins running game to (kinda/sorta) work, and the Fangio Defense starts to work where the DBs are getting in position to face the QB and pick off the ball like Ramsey's INT of Mac, and who knows? Let's just hope X and Holland are back to go along with Ramsey!

With lowered expectations: Expect it to be kinda/sorta like the Bills and Iggles games; a disappointing loss!

Sad
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:47 am

Yeah, FF, there were definitely some subtle changes with the offensive gameplan, and there did seem to be more of an effort to get players involved in the passing game beyond Hill and Waddle. And I did like that Tua took the short, dump-off passes when needed, and even ran a couple of times.

One thing that didn't work were all the passes at the line of scrimmage - seemed like they always resulted in a loss or no gain, and Hill dropped one.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:47 pm

Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL

In a 7-7 game midway through the 2nd Q Miami faced a 3rd and 15 from the +22. They call a screen to Waddle for 14, then the same play to Tyreek on 4th and 1 to convert and eventually score.

On the Waddle play -- Berrios, Tyreek, Jackson and Hunt all get out in front and hit key blocks. On the Reek screen, Claypool hits a pivotal, difficult block and Lamm comes over and creates the little extra space Cheetah needed.

This team is full of stars, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a squad that gets more valuable contributions out of "role players," for lack of a better term.

2:38 PM · Oct 30, 2023

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:48 pm

Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL

I didn't realize this until the re-watch, but Miami had a rotation at LG with Cotton and Rob Jones prior to the Rob Hunt injury. Of course, when Hunt went down they both played, and I thought played pretty well.

Another feather in the cap of Miami's OL depth.

2:24 PM · Oct 30, 2023

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Wow. "O-line depth" actually being used to describe the Miami Dolphins!

Yeah, last season if we lost even half the guys we've lost to date.... it would be Game Over. Good job collecting enough to get it done. I do want some more power in that unit - and that should come next offseason.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:34 pm

white1 wrote:Wow.  "O-line depth" actually being used to describe the Miami Dolphins!

Yeah, last season if we lost even half the guys we've lost to date.... it would be Game Over.  Good job collecting enough to get it done.  I do want some more power in that unit - and that should come next offseason.

Agreed. I can only assume that the new OL coach has done a fantastic job.

Also agree about adding more power to the line. Looking at Lester Cotton, he's as big and wide as a mountain - but I don't see any of that Jamie Nails type of dominance from him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next