The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

+5
mercury22nathan
JEGnj
Umix10
DolFan 316
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets Empty Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

Post by JMP Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:25 pm

The Dolphins traveled to the swamps of New Jersey today to face the reeling Jets in the NFL’s first-ever Black Friday game, and just like every game the Jets play this was a sloppy, mistake-filled game on both sides. Despite a Dolphins win, they suffered a huge loss with an injury to Jae Phillips.

Phillips tore his Achilles in the 4th quarter and is done for the season. He was a cornerstone piece for this suddenly championship-caliber defense. It’s a devastating loss for the Dolphins, one that won’t be easy to overcome.

I’m sick to my stomach with this injury to one of my favorite players, but the show must go on and a game was played today.

The first half was ugly. The Jets had just 47 yards in the half, and the game already felt like it was over with 65 seconds on the clock. But then Tua Tagovailoa gifted the Jets a TD with a horrific pick 6 - just a terrible decision by Tua. The crowd had been completely out of the game and Tua let them right back in. And then on the ensuing series, Tua threw ANOTHER INT – giving the Jets the ball at midfield. With Miami hanging onto a slim 10-6 lead at that point, the very next play would change the game.

Jets QB Tim Boyle scrambled around and launched a Hail Mary pass that landed…in the arms of Jevon Holland. Holland expertly, and let’s be real - easily, took the ball and returned it 99 yards for a TD! Unbelievable!!! There were key blocks at the end of the return by Bradley Chubb and Christian Wilkins. That play gave the Phins an unlikely, yet very welcome, 17-6 halftime lead. (As a sidenote, Jets fans are already referring to the play as the “Hell Mary”!)

The Dolphins got the ball first in the second half, and got a 54-yard FG from Jason Sanders. They closed out the 3rd quarter with the drive of the season: 15 plays, 92 yards, just over 9 minutes, ending in a Raheem Mostert TD run. The Dolphins converted five 3rd downs on the drive, utilizing a brilliant mix of run and pass.

The Jets would go on to get a garbage time TD, and Mostert added a second TD, and the game mercifully ended at 34-13 Dolphins.

I know the Jets offense is a joke, but the Dolphins defense was outstanding. The Jets totaled just 159 yards, most of which came when the game was already decided. Miami had 7 sacks, and held the Jets to under 30 rushing yards.

The offense was led by Jaylen Waddle and Tyreek Hill. Waddle had 8 catches for 114 yards, and Hill had 9 catches for 102 yards and a TD. The two combined for 17 catches on 20 targets! Not to be outdone, the RB duo of Mostert and Jeff Wilson combined for 150 yards. Tua finished 21 of 30 for 243 yards and a TD, but his day was marred by the two bad interceptions. Lastly, I want to acknowledge the OL. Starting the day with two backup guards and ending with two backup tackles as well, the OL was excellent all day. Yeah, Tua was sacked a couple of times, but against one of the most impressive DLs in the game the Miami OL dominated. Just an outstanding performance all around, and I give major props to the reserve linemen Kendall Lamm, Lester Cotton, Liam Eichenberg and Kion Smith. Amazing.

Again, this was an ugly game. The Jets had several personal fouls (as they always do), and there was a fight after an extra point that resulted in a Jets player and a Dolphins player (Austin Jackson) getting ejected, and a ref leaning over and spitting blood after getting hit by the Jets player (Clemons). These things are to be expected whenever the poorly-coached Jets are involved.

Now 8-3, the Dolphins continue to roll along. But today’s win came at a heavy price with the loss of Phillips. Terron Armstead and Holland both left the game with injuries as well, and their status remains to be seen. Regardless, next week the Phins head to our nation’s capital to face a bottom-of-the-barrel Commanders team that is allowing almost 30 points a game on defense. It will be a great opportunity for the defense to continue their resurgence, and for the now-sloppy offense to clean up their mistakes.

Hero of the Game: The OL gets a game ball, as do Waddle and Hill, but Jevon Holland gets the Hero award. His unreal TD return opened up the game for the Dolphins, and they never looked back. One of the season’s best plays, and it came at the ideal time. Clutch!

Goat of the Game: Man, I hate to do this…but for the second consecutive week, it’s Tua. An otherwise-solid performance by Tua was ruined by two absolutely terrible and inexcusable INTs. If the Dolphins are going to have any chance of going far this season, Tua must play better.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets Empty Re: Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

Post by JMP Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:34 pm

Tua has never lost to the Jets or the Patriots!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets Empty Re: Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:11 pm

JMP wrote:I know the Jets offense is a joke, but the Dolphins defense was outstanding.  The Jets totaled just 159 yards, most of which came when the game was already decided. Miami had 7 sacks, and held the Jets to under 30 rushing yards.

Jets had their second lowest yardage total and tied their lowest first down total of the season so...yeah. Their lowest yardage total happened in the last game. Saleh's changes could not have backfired any worse  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing I am now convinced the players have quit on him.

Again, this was an ugly game.  The Jets had several personal fouls (as they always do), and there was a fight after an extra point that resulted in a Jets player and a Dolphins player (Austin Jackson) getting ejected, and a ref leaning over and spitting blood after getting hit by the Jets player (Clemons).  These things are to be expected whenever the poorly-coached Jets are involved.

There HAS to be media outrage over this, but I know there won't be because it wasn't a Fins player who hit the ref. They'll probably just laugh it off instead.

Injuries happen. I hate it, but the NFL isn't going to cancel the games unless somebody literally almost dies on the field. Just got to keep going, keep driving. Other teams are getting injuries left and right like I have never seen before. By the time the playoffs roll around who knows how many more players on every team will go down? The Fins have at least won games without Phillips before this season.

Two down, three to go. Winning this game has made me finally believe they can actually pull off a 5-game win streak and clinch the division with 3 games left.

EDIT: Fins just scored a season high VS the Jets as well! Shocked cheers Just now realized that.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:15 pm

JMP wrote:Regardless, next week the Phins head to our nation’s capital to face a bottom-of-the-barrel Commanders team that is allowing almost 30 points a game on defense.  It will be a great opportunity for the defense to continue their resurgence, and for the now-sloppy offense to clean up their mistakes.

BTW I saw at the bottom of the screen while watching college hoops tonight that the Redskins Football Team Commanders just fired their DC who just happens to be...Jack Del Rio. I'm officially getting annoyed with all these teams firing and cutting folks right before playing the Fins Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Score doesn’t reflect how up and down the offense was. Partly Tua I agree . But like I mentioned in the other thread, we are battling keeping Tua upright but playing at a high level. With 1:13 to go and the ball at the half, I think McDaniel needs to keep TUA in position to make good decisions. Trying to score in jets territory with 1:13 left and no timeouts is “FORCING” Tua into an un comfortable position with an offensive line that really doesn’t have the strength to hold up protection wise. Best thing would have been to just sit on the ball and go in at half.

Just me but TUA isn’t quite as good when the defense knows he’s just dropping back and passing
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:48 pm

Umix10 wrote:Score doesn’t reflect how up and down the offense was.  Partly Tua I agree .  But like I mentioned in the other thread, we are battling keeping Tua upright but playing at a high level.  With 1:13 to go and the ball at the half, I think McDaniel needs to keep TUA in position to make good decisions.  Trying to score in jets territory with 1:13 left and no timeouts is “FORCING” Tua into an un comfortable position with an offensive line that really doesn’t have the strength to hold up protection wise.  Best thing would have been to just sit on the ball and go in at half.

Just me but TUA isn’t quite as good when the defense knows he’s just dropping back and passing

I disagree. EVERY coach in the modern NFL will try to score in that situation, and get raked over the coals if they don't. Franchise QBs don't trot out in that spot and be like, "Nah, let's just take some knees." Would Brady have ever done that? Tua just needs to be better is all.

DolFan 316

JMP and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:01 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Umix10 wrote:Score doesn’t reflect how up and down the offense was.  Partly Tua I agree .  But like I mentioned in the other thread, we are battling keeping Tua upright but playing at a high level.  With 1:13 to go and the ball at the half, I think McDaniel needs to keep TUA in position to make good decisions.  Trying to score in jets territory with 1:13 left and no timeouts is “FORCING” Tua into an un comfortable position with an offensive line that really doesn’t have the strength to hold up protection wise.  Best thing would have been to just sit on the ball and go in at half.

I disagree. EVERY coach in the modern NFL will try to score in that situation, and get raked over the coals if they don't. Franchise QBs don't trot out in that spot and be like, "Nah, let's just take some knees." Would Brady have ever done that? Tua just needs to be better is all.

I agree but Tua ain’t Brady. My premise is that with protection issues and the way we were playing offensively the better choice is take in 10-0. Come back and score 1st poss 2nd half. We woulda been up 17-0. I think situation wise Tua ain’t the guy that will sling it all over the place without the scheme. I think he should have been better but I know what he is and isn’t.

Especially if we got 2 guards that are low on the depth chart trying to protect. It’s all good when McD is scheming protection but with 1:13 left no timeouts. You can’t ask thAT MUCH OF THE 2 guards
Umix10
Umix10

JMP, DolFan 316 and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 pm

Fins had their second highest number of rushes BTW. THIS is what McDaniels needs to keep doing the rest of the way. They are 8-1 now with 20 runs or more and 0-2 with under 20.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:06 pm

Umix10 wrote:I agree but Tua ain’t Brady.  My premise is that with protection issues and the way we were playing offensively the better choice is take in 10-0.  Come back and score 1st poss 2nd half.  We woulda been up 17-0.  I think situation wise Tua ain’t the guy that will sling it all over the place without the scheme.  I think he should have been better but I know what he is and isn’t.

Especially if we got 2 guards that are low on the depth chart trying to protect.  It’s all good when McD is scheming protection but with 1:13 left no timeouts.  You can’t ask thAT MUCH OF THE 2 guards

Gave your post a like because I can respect that take Cool But if there's any offense in the league built to get a TD with a minute left in the half it's this one, in theory at least. That's why they have all that speed.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:19 pm

Hard to follow the game at at the stadium parting but it was great to be there and crush the Jets. Not sure how good or bad it was but it was great at the end. Sucks Phillips got hurt.

JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:20 pm

JEGnj wrote:Hard to follow the game at at the stadium parting but it was great to be there and crush the Jets. Not sure how good or bad it was but it was great at the end. Sucks Phillips got hurt.

I think I saw you on camera! The big, mean tough-looking guy. Then again that's like half the guys in Jersey so... Razz

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:23 pm

Just saw the Tua pick six. Yeah, NOT the kind of pass you want or need to even be throwing with under a minute left in the half. Even a completion there would've been pointless. Another rotten McDaniel play call or was this one all Tua?

Aaaaand pick #2, on the exact same type of nonsensical pass! Evil or Very Mad I mean shit, if you're just going to throw picks on 3 yard outs then why NOT just throw downfield???

At least I got the satisfaction of seeing Holland pull a Dick Anderson cheers cheers cheers I'd give the blocking a B+ though, not quite as good as the defensive blocking masterclass in the '71 AFC title game.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:40 pm

Week 12 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Jets 60e68510
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP, DolFan 316, finskev and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:43 pm

How many beers in were you at that point? Razz Laughing

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:03 pm

15-play, 9-plus minute TD drive. McDaniel CAN do this after all Shocked No excuses for not doing it more going forward.

And yeah, there needs to be some major fineage and a suspension for Mr. Clemons of the Jets. Amazed there wasn't an ejection TBH.

EDIT: Turned out there was, but for some odd reason it wasn't announced on TV that I could tell scratch Also for an even more absurd reason I was told that JACKSON also got ejected when he wasn't even penalized and had nothing to do with the official getting hit! Once again the anti-Fins bias is real. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:08 pm

We got to the stadium at 10:30. I can honestly say by the end of the game I was trashed and singing. I have it all on FB but couldn't share here.
I really need to watch the game because I know we won but have no clue what happened from the upper deck. I enjoyed the heck out of today.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP, DolFan 316, CarsonChris and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:21 pm

JEGnj wrote:I have it all on FB but couldn't share here.

Must be privated because I can't see it Crying or Very sad I don't have a FB account but I can get on my mom's any time I want. I have her permission as long as I don't actually post anything in in her name.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:27 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Fins had their second highest number of rushes BTW. THIS is what McDaniels needs to keep doing the rest of the way. They are 8-1 now with 20 runs or more and 0-2 with under 20.

This 100%

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:44 pm

Remember my plan. Wife goes shopping and I watch the game with the dog, nachos and beer. Well…. At Tgiving yesterday my niece (who moved to NYC for her job last year) shows up with new bf - some slick Wall Street ahole. So my wife (who will probably be anointed sainthood based on tolerating me), upon finding out this Westchester county jackoff is a Jets fan, invites him over for the game. WHAT?!?! You did WHAT?!?! Ok, to get to the point…

Me: hey asshat stop cheering those interceptions. Look at the score your team sucks.
Him: if Rodgers doesn’t get hurt, we win the Super Bowl.
Me: asshat says what?
Him: what?
Me: bahahahaha
Him: I don’t get it.
Me: I know.

So now my wife is mad at me and I’m ready drunk. So how was I supposed to know his name isn’t “ Hey fuck face get outta my house”?

Anyways, I’m tired of complaining after victories. Yea, Tua wasn’t that great. So what. We won. I don’t give a shit. Hopefully I didn’t type anything I’m gonna regret. I think I’m watching Oregon Oregon St but everything is a bit blurry but them some ugly uniforms.

I love Pabst blue ribbon. So what.

mercury22nathan

JMP, DolFan 316, CarsonChris, finskev and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:06 pm

HA!!! MERC OUT HERE GETTIN' ALL REAL AND SHIT!!! I LOVE IT!!!  cheers  cheers  cheers

For the first time in over 30 years I didn't spend Thanksgiving with the family. They're in Atlanta helping my brother in law's sister and husband move to about half an hour away from me Shocked But it was still okay. The GF got this mix of turkey, green bean casserole and sweet potatoes all in one that wasn't half bad. Plus I didn't overeat like I always do. Then I slept most of today and when I got up I was hyper as fuck. Still am, actually Laughing

I do also have to say, seeing this replay reminds me of why I stopped watching NFL games live. The yammering about superfluous garbage is intolerable Evil or Very Mad I get way more entertainment from watching complete games on Youtube from the '70s-00s. I cannot go back to the current product unless I happen to catch a replay of a game I already know the Fins won. And even THEN it can be a slog. IDK how any of you guys can put up with it.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:21 am

I’m in Jamaica did not watch the game but saw highlights and press conference on You Tube.

Loved the running game. Take those three yard outs out of our play book.

Sucks to lose Phillips- IMO it’s Van Ginkel time. I think he’ll shine even more now than he did filling in earlier this year.
white1
white1

JMP, DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:13 am

white1 wrote:I’m in Jamaica did not watch the game but saw highlights and press conference on You Tube.

Loved the running game. Take those three yard outs out of our play book.

Sucks to lose Phillips- IMO it’s Van Ginkel time. I think he’ll shine even more now than he did filling in earlier this year.

JAMAICA?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oh no you don't! You can't just casually toss that out and walk away! There has GOT to be a story to this! And I'd love to read about it cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:11 am

Lol! Just an all inclusive resort family vacation - we’ve done a couple trips like this very relaxing
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:14 am

white1 wrote:Lol! Just an all inclusive resort family vacation - we’ve done a couple trips like this very relaxing

"All inclusive"??? Seems woke to me scratch I REALLY hope it's not *that* kind of place affraid

DolFan 316

finfanatic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:19 am

By that I mean you pay for food and drinks in advance. 😀
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next