The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excuses for Tannehill continue

+5
DolFan 316
Degarmo
rightchea
JMP
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Excuses for Tannehill continue Empty Excuses for Tannehill continue

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:25 am

The garish pick Tannehill threw in Cincinnati -- the one called by some on the internet the “worst interception of the 2016 season,” the one that ended any chance the Dolphins had of coming back on the Bengals -- wasn’t his fault.

The truth is, a receiver ran the wrong route. Tannehill threw to the spot he thought his teammate would be. Instead, the only one in the screen was Bengals defensive back Chris Lewis-Harris.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article106426697.html

i have to call BULLSHIT!!

https://streamable.com/e/iqe5

if you watch the video (and you believe the Phins' excuse), you see that either Kenny Stills cut towards the sideline and Tannehill thought he was going to cut in or Leonte Carroo ran his in route too deep and Tannehill threw to the more shallow spot where he believed Carroo should be.  so here's whats wrong with the Phins' lie - umm, i mean explanation:  both players were already well into and coming out of their cuts before Tannehill threw the ball.  its not like Tannehill was anticipating a move and throwing before a cut was made.  he had ample time to see that no players had made a move into the spot where he was supposed to throw.  even if either or both players ran the wrong route, Tannehill still should have never thrown that ball.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Excuses for Tannehill continue Empty Re: Excuses for Tannehill continue

Post by JMP Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:35 am

It's pretty clear by now that nothing is ever Tannehill's fault.  Everything he does is perfect, and everything any other offensive player does is wrong.  The coaches change, the players change, the scheme changes - but Tannehill is always right.  

geek

Last edited by JMP on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:01 pm

It all of their fault but at the same time we have to blame Tannehill just because he is who he is.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Well, it comes with being a QB. When the offense struggles, the QB gets the most blame because he is, at least in theory, the offensive leader and everything goes through him.

This season, the Dolphins third down production is absolutely dreadful - and whatever anyone wants to say about why we suck on third down, the bottom line is EVERYTHING on offense starts with the QB. And this season, Tannehill has more responsibility than ever. Tannehill needs to play better - period.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:21 am

A lot of the shit that's pinned on Tannehill is just haters, but this interception is all his fault . . . as are all these fumbles this year.

I just don't think the kid cares enough. He's smart, has the tools, but just doesn't give a shit.

He's got 'til the end of the season, because that's reality, and then, if he doesn't make a major shift, fuck him.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:25 am

Also, I know this is a hated stance, but everything REALLY begins with the offensive line. A running game, great protection, that can prop up a QB. So, instead of hoping for the next Marino, this shitball of a franchise needs to fix the offensive trench.

I know, they've tried, but the picks they've thrown at this position have been just terrible.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:04 am

But sooner or later, when you change literally EVERYTHING else and the results are the same, isn't it time to point the finger at the one thing that hasn't changed - the QB???

Look at the Patriots - that OL is put together with spit and glue - at best. Hell, they change players along the line on almost every other play! I don't see any stars on that line, and I'm not sure I'd even label it as "good". Yet Garoppolo AND Brissett were able to win games - because they played smart and limited mistakes. Tannehill too often doesn't play smart and he still makes far too many mistakes. He's had more time to throw this season than he's ever had in his career, but the results are no different. I think we've seen the best we're going to see from Tannehill - it is what it is.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:01 pm

After finding out the offensive stats for today's game I am of the opinion Tannehill needs to just give up this football thing and go be a doctor like he really wanted to all along.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:55 pm

He's done.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:05 pm

When everyone watching the game knows the OL sucks can Tanny do anything more then drop back and be a tackling dummy?
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:26 am

I don't see it in the kid's eyes. I'm telling you, he's just fucking done. Maybe he goes somewhere else and does fine, but I don't care anymore. Fuck off, Ryan.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Don't think the end of that comment made by Gase was unintentional. He said something like "Ryan remains the starter through the end of the season."

Implied, of course, is that there is a true unknown about the starting QB in 2017.

Armando wrote about this, interesting read: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article107172372.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Gase was hired for only one reason: to fix Tannehill. And now Tannehill is playing worse than he's ever played in his career. QB guru, my ass. Gase is a fraudulent loser.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Tanny doesn't take to coaching and common sense, you figure with both left tackle and guard out you would run more quick patterns to help your line, Wednesday I will watch this game on game pass and see how bad the blocking was. They told Gase when he was hired that if things didn't work in 16 with Tanny that he could pick his next Qb in 17. Another fins site wants him fired already but You can't keep changing the coach every year eventually the players have to be changed.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:03 pm

In all honesty, Matt Moore is even worse, and Doughty isn't anywhere close to ready to start in the NFL. There's no other option.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:09 am

HalCHorn wrote:In all honesty, Matt Moore is even worse, and Doughty isn't anywhere close to ready to start in the NFL.  There's no other option.

This is truth.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 am

Chalk it up to yet another stellar job in talent evaluation and acquisition.

Behind Tannehill, we have literally zero viable options at QB. What happens if he gets hurt? Just punt on the season I guess?

It happened to Minnesota. Yes, I keep going back to that team because Rick Speilman is the GM but he wasn't good enough for us. All he did was replace his starting QB on the eve of the season opener, and he's built a world class defense on the field leading them to a 5-0 record.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 am

Well Gase just blame the OL this time saying that it their fault for allowing all those sacks. Can't blame the guy Miami OL is horrible. But wait lets not just blame the OL the secondary was getting eaten all day and the DL look like they were sumo wrestling instead of trying to get off of blocks.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 am

rightchea wrote:Well Gase just blame the OL this time saying that it their fault for allowing all those sacks. Can't blame the guy Miami OL is horrible.

the exact quotes (excuses) as rightchea indicated above:

"I know when we have 18 dropback passes and he's hit or sacked on nine of them and then the completions we do have, he's got guys in his face," Gase said. "I'm supposed to blame him for that? I get a look at the whole picture. I'm calling the plays and I know what it's supposed to look like and it's not looking like that now as far as what's going on around him.

"When we start cleaning some things up and start giving him a chance to perform at the level I think he's going to perform and he doesn't do it, that's one thing. But I need to see where we get a chance in protection, we're right on a lot of the other things we're supposed to be doing. Is he going to have mistakes? Yeah.

"The last interception. I told him before he went out there, 'You're going to have to fit it in.' He tried to fit it in but gets jacked. I thought he was going to get his rotator cuff blown out and knee blown out and everybody gets pissed at him.

"Everybody wants to blame that position. It's the easy one to do because you can see completion, incompletions, interception. But when you hit your back foot and get sacked, there's not much you can do about it."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/10/adam-gase-explains-tunsil-ankle-injury-in-the-shower-and-defends-ryan-tannehill-while-blaming-pass-p.html

so Gase is sticking to the story that its not Tannehill's fault.

maybe, just maybe Joe Philbin (who wanted to replace Tannehill by selecting Derek Carr) and Miko Grimes (who tweeted that teammates realized Tannehill wasn't the answer) were right all along.  if Tannehill doesn't quickly and drastically turn things around very soon, we may soon see a new QB be the next in line to try and be the next Miami Dolphins QB...

That’s Job One — deciding if Tannehill is part of the problem or can be part of the solution.

That decision was looming anyway even before the Dolphins got off to this wretched start. Tannehill, you see, is counting $11.64 million against the salary cap this season. That’s a lot.

But next year, the extension he signed in 2015 kicks his salary into overdrive, and he is scheduled to cost the Dolphins $20.3 million against the cap.

That cost is prohibitive even for a good quarterback. But no NFL team would want to carry a mediocre or inconsistent quarterback for that price.

So, the rest of this season allows the Dolphins to decide if Tannehill is basically a mediocre or inconsistent quarterback — a middle of the pack guy due a top of the mountain payday.

If Tannehill proves himself less than worthy of his payday, the Dolphins can walk away from him and actually save salary cap space in the transaction.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article107172372.html

there is no way the Phins can tie that much money up in a QB who is not performing - can they?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:39 am

as long as tannebuam is still around there is a high possibility for that to happen.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:46 am

white1 wrote:Chalk it up to yet another stellar job in talent evaluation and acquisition.

Behind Tannehill, we have literally zero viable options at QB.  What happens if he gets hurt? Just punt on the season I guess?

It happened to Minnesota.  Yes, I keep going back to that team because Rick Speilman is the GM but he wasn't good enough for us.  All he did was replace his starting QB on the eve of the season opener, and he's built a world class defense on the field leading them to a 5-0 record.

It blows my mind how much smarter Spielman became after leaving this team.

And it lends even more support to my burial ground curse theory, so there's that Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:48 pm

Gase wrote:I'm calling the plays and I know what it's supposed to look like and it's not looking like that now

This tells me everything I need to know about Gase.  He thinks his playcalling is perfect and he doesn't need to make any changes or adjustments.  At least, that's what it sounds like he's saying IMO.

How about this instead, coach: we know the OL sucks in pass pro, so let's adjust the playcalling to reflect that.  Instead of going 5-wide all the damn time, leaving no extra protection, how about leaving a back in to block, or using more 2-TE sets and letting the TEs help the OL in pass pro?  Sure, that would mean you don't get to use your oh-so-creative spread formations all the time - but it just may keep your QB upright every now and then.

And speaking of the QB, how about calling more designed rollouts as a way to help Tannehill avoid pressure?  Yes, that would cut the field in half on most plays so your genius route combos wouldn't be as glamorous, but maybe it would help your QB make some plays both in the passing and running game?

The bottom line for me is this: Gase is the person I blame the most for the crappy offense this season, because he is the one designing the scheme and calling the plays.  Despite the fact that he is failing week after week, he is refusing to make adjustments and he just keeps doing the same things over and over and expecting that things will magically get better.  In the offseason, Gase talked ad nauseum about how he would tailor the scheme to his players - but that hasn't been the case at all.  The reality is, he's trying to force the players to fit his scheme - and it isn't working.  

Gase was hired to improve Tannehill and the offense.  Clearly, he doesn't care about the defense at all.  So let's see how he's done as an offensive guru:

--In 2015, the Dolphins averaged 19.4 points  agame.  Under Gase, the Phins are averaging 17.6 points a game.
--In 2015, Tannehill had a QBR of 88.7.  Under Gase, it's 83.6.  Not only that, his yards per attempt is down by a full yard, and he's on pace to throw significantly fewer TDs and have significantly more INTs and fumbles.

Now, I realize Gase has only had 5 games so far.  But in thoise 5 games, what the hell has he done to improve this team?   Nothing...in fact, we are MUCH worse than last season.  If this continues for the next 11 games, I don't see how Gase can remain the coach - it wouldn't make any sense.  Chalk it up as a loss, and move on.  Let some other team teach him how to be a head coach - no more learning on the job for the Phins' head coach - get someone in here that knows what the hell they're doing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm still all-in on poor talent.

One of the Instagram posts from last week, we suffered a sack with "max protect" blocking on the play. That just shouldn't happen.

On Gase, what I will say is that I wanted Hue Jackson. To your point JMP, NOT a first time head coach, and Jackson showed in Oakland what he could do with even a sub-par group of players.

I'm betting that in the long run, Jackson will prove he was the correct choice. Just like Tomlin has when we hired Cameron instead.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:16 pm

white1 wrote:I'm still all-in on poor talent.

One of the Instagram posts from last week, we suffered a sack with "max protect" blocking on the play.  That just shouldn't happen.

On Gase, what I will say is that I wanted Hue Jackson.  To your point JMP, NOT a first time head coach, and Jackson showed in Oakland what he could do with even a sub-par group of players.  

I'm betting that in the long run, Jackson will prove he was the correct choice.  Just like Tomlin has when we hired Cameron instead.
'

Did you really have to remind me about that? (Sighs.) Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:01 pm

white1 wrote:I'm still all-in on poor talent.

Sure, this roster blows and has for years.  But I will say this: the OL is better this season, and I don't think there's any question - at least at pass pro.  Sunday was a disaster, but both Albert and Tunsil were out.  When they have both played - even with Steen at C - the OL is definitely giving Tannehill more time.

I just think the overall scheme and the playcalling in particular are AWFUL, and I don't see Gase making any changes.  What I do see is Gase pointing fingers at the players, and blaming them for all the issues.  While there is no doubt that the players could be doing better, isn't it the job of the coaching staff to put the players in position to succeed?  I see a major disconnect between the caoching staff and players this season, even moreso than what we saw under Philbin - and that's saying something.  The proof is on the field, where Gase's team so far is playing worse than than they did last season when they finished 6-10.  Looking at the offensive roster , we are weaker at RB, but I'd say we stayed the same everywhere else and improved slightly at OL - and the results are so far significantly worse than last year.  And Tannehill obviously is regressing by the week.  That's coaching, as far as I'm concerned.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next