The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Urbik Released?!?! The Hell?!?!

+2
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
6 posters

Go down

Urbik Released?!?! The Hell?!?!  Empty Urbik Released?!?! The Hell?!?!

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:10 am

I have nothing else to say about this. But you guys feel free.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/08/dolphins-release-kraig-urbik

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Urbik Released?!?! The Hell?!?!  Empty Re: Urbik Released?!?! The Hell?!?!

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Let's see, LT smoked to much weed this offseason and looks like a turnstile. RT having problems. Center has had more injuries than an episode of MASH. Starting QB out and was questionable as a franchise QB. Defense looks god awful. Might as well tank the season and go for a new QB.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Well, the truth is unless Asiata steps up, the OGs all look to be pedestrian at best.

After seeing Gase boot a few of the absolute terms after the Titans game last year, I am going to give Gase and Co
the benefit of the doubt.

As I see it, the main problem is still the defense. No pass rush and an inability to stop the rush.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Let's see, LT smoked to much weed this offseason and looks like a turnstile. RT having problems. Center has had more injuries than an episode of MASH.  Starting QB out and was questionable as a franchise QB. Defense looks god awful. Might as well tank the season and go for a new QB.

Problem is, the Jets and Bills are going to be tanking as well. Must be nice to be the Pats. Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm

finfanatic wrote:Well, the truth is unless Asiata steps up, the OGs all look to be pedestrian at best.

Pedestrian at best, you say?

Sorry, I couldn't resist Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Urbik has tons of experience and can play all 3 interior positions. I can't figure out the logic in releasing him. Our OL depth was already weak...unless something else is going on, this seems like a bad move.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:06 am

I think they will resign him week 2. Get past guaranteed salary period.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:15 am

I'm also assuming that Urbik's injury may be more serious than the team initially thought. But yeah, they could re-sign him when he gets healthy. Either way, once he's ready I don't think he'll be out of work long.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Couldn't they just have put him on the PUP list and brought him back at a later time? But yeah, there may be more to this story than meets the eye.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:07 am

My understanding is PUP guarantees his salary, so teams have been working around that by releasing vets and picking them back up after week 1.

Business moves.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:12 am

white1 wrote:My understanding is PUP guarantees his salary, so teams have been working around that by releasing vets and picking them back up after week 1.

Business moves.

And because people in general are complete sheep these days, the players willingly allow teams to jerk them around like this.

Just once I'd love to see a player actually say no when the team that cut him 2 weeks ago wants to suddenly sign him again. But that won't happen because that would be a show of actual independent thought and free will, as opposed to the national anthem thing.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:24 am

In their defense, hard to turn down a job that pays this well.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:41 am

white1 wrote:My understanding is PUP guarantees his salary, so teams have been working around that by releasing vets and picking them back up after week 1.

Business moves.

I think Urbik was slated to make $1.2 million or so this year, so I guess that explains why he was cut - especially if the team felt Davis was ahead of him or even just close. Still, it would be nice to have a veteran presence on the OL besides Bushrod.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 am

The thing I like about Davis is his upside. If he's just as good (or nearly as good) as a veteran player you can reasonably expect improvement, resulting long-term in a better player at LG.

I agree on the veteran point, which is why I believe (assuming he gets healthy) we will sign him for depth in week 2.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:05 am

I think Davis used to play defense, so he has room to grow on offense. I have to say, he looks like a keeper. It would be awesome if we actually found a 'hidden gem' at OL for a change, instead of only finding good linemen in round one. And who knows, we may have a second gem in Eric Smith.

If Gase and his staff actually develop two undrafted FAs into quality starting linemen, that would be nothing short of a miracle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 am

Player development has clearly improved under the Gase regime. We saw several examples last season of guys that looked like also-rans turning into quality role players or even starters. Ajayi being the most obvious and extreme example.

It's just as important (if not more so) than drafting well. Teams can bring in unlimited UFAs, and if you can make a couple pan out it just bolsters the overall talent level and depth on the roster.

Pulling for Davis and Smith, and totally agree, we have to build the lines on both sides of the ball without burning high round picks all the time. Left tackle and premier DE pass rusher are exceptions, but do we really need the most expensive DT in the league? Or first round picks at both Center AND Right Tackle as well?

Godchaux and Taylor turning into good players would be another way to help to this end.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down