The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard

+2
DolFan 316
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard Empty Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard

Post by JMP Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:27 pm

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/09/04/miami-dolphins-adam-gase-announces-starting-offensive-lineman/

Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase announced the team’s starting offensive line on Monday.

The biggest drama was at left guard, where Gase said Anthony Steen has beaten out Jesse Davis.

Laremy Tunsil-Anthony Steen-Mike Pouncey-Jermon Bushrod-Ja’Wuan James is the first-team unit.

Very surprised that Steen is starting. I thought Davis looked pretty good in preseason, but Steen at guard scares the hell out of me. Just better hope that Gerald McCoy doesn't line up against Steen in week one - that will be UGLY.

The Phins also re-signed swing tackle Sam Young. Ugh.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard Empty Re: Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I've said this before, but IMO Gase's talent evaluation skills are borderline nonexistent. He does catch on when someone's so horrible they no longer belong in the NFL, but otherwise he doesn't have a clue. He can still be good at the coaching part (Shula wasn't the best talent evaluator either) but only realizing the guy you decided should start sucks 4 or more games into the season is a major problem.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard Empty Re: Anthony Steen is starting at Left Guard

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Dorian Johnson cleared waivers and is on the Cardinals' practice squad.  I'd give him and Alex Boone both strong consideration I were the one making these decisions.

Johnson is a very good long-term prospect IMO and Boone could start right away and improve our pass protection.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:58 pm

There's always Kevin Winston, who, it seems, has been talked about for the Fins for the last 3 or 4 years.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 am

HalCHorn wrote:Dorian Johnson cleared waivers and is on the Cardinals' practice squad.  I'd give him and Alex Boone both strong consideration I were the one making these decisions.

Johnson is a very good long-term prospect IMO and Boone could start right away and improve our pass protection.

I'd love to pick up Dorian Johnson - looks to have a very high ceiling.

Not so sure about Boone's fit with the Mimai offense - talent-wise, he'd be a huge upgrade on paper, but he seems more like a mauler than a zone blocking fit to me. Still, he's better than Steen or Larsen for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Boone just signed with the Cards, so he's out Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:29 pm

So the only changes on the starting OL from week one of last season are Tunsil replacing Albert at LT, and Steen replacing Tunsil at LG. Sounds like an overall downgrade to me.

Have to hope Pouncey stays healthy, and Tunsil plays better than he did in preseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 pm

If Boone signed with the Cards, then that's one more player ahead of Johnson there.

Liked him going into the draft, IMO his health issues are manageable. What do we have to lose? He's likely a better prospect than Asiata.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm

HalCHorn wrote:If Boone signed with the Cards, then that's one more player ahead of Johnson there.

Liked him going into the draft, IMO his health issues are manageable.  What do we have to lose?  He's likely a better prospect than Asiata.

I'd take Johnson over Asiata in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd take Johnson over Steen right now. Some team will snatch him off the practice squad soon enough...would be great if it's the Phins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 am

Steen's starting? Thank god. I was really beginning to worry about the deck chair positioning on this Titanic of a team.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 am

One advantage of delaying the Tampa game... most likely Larsen back, faces McCoy instead.

Better matchup, I'm sure.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 am

Degarmo wrote:Steen's starting?  Thank god.  I was really beginning to worry about the deck chair positioning on this Titanic of a team.

LOL Amazing how little this team values the guard position.

white1 wrote:One advantage of delaying the Tampa game... most likely Larsen back, faces McCoy instead.
Better matchup, I'm sure.

I don't think it will be that much better...McCoy will likely destroy Larsen.

We will have TJ McDonald in the lineup by then, but Tampa will have Doug Martin.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Our offense this year should be based on misdirection, quick hitters, three-step-and-throw passes, screens, draws, all that crap. Anything to keep the line from having to hold a block for more than 2 seconds. If we can do that, we can be successful. New England can make a sub-par line look excellent with that strategy, we can too. This will showcase if Gase is truly a Shula (adjust to your team), or a Martz (I'm a genius and everyone around me must adjust to me).

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down