The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New D Coordinator: Anthony Weaver

+4
DolFan 316
white1
finfanatic
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New D Coordinator: Anthony Weaver Empty New D Coordinator: Anthony Weaver

Post by JMP Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:52 pm

I don't think it has been officially announced, but it is being reported that the Phins have landed Ravens DL coach Anthony Weaver as their new defensive coordinator.

I've watched a few videos of him and he is very well-spoken, smart and has a cool personality. I think this could potentially be a home run hire. He seems like he knows what he's doing, and he's a had a lot of success with the Ravens.

I think hiring Weaver puts us strongly in the mix for FA LB Patrick Queen, if we move on from Baker. And if we can't re-sign Wilkins, Ravens DT Justin Madubuike is also a free agent.

BTW, if Weaver gets poached for a head coaching job in the next couple of years, we'll get two 3rd round picks as compensation. I think the picks are awarded over two years, so if we lose him next offseason for example we'd get a 3rd in 2025 and a 3rd in 2026.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

New D Coordinator: Anthony Weaver Empty Re: New D Coordinator: Anthony Weaver

Post by finfanatic Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:36 pm

Good news. Glad they got someone sorta early. Before free agency starts anyway.

Lots of decisions coming up in free agency this year. The team could be VERY DIFFERENT next season.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:35 pm

I like Weaver.

We have to be prepared for some “growing pains” but that’s fine. I’m not sure he’s ever been an NFL DC before, so will be his first time carrying that responsibility. Also, going hand in hand, he’s never called a game before either most likely, so will be hard to match up with veteran OCs.

Clearly he’s ready as he landed multiple HC interviews. Just have to hope he ramps up quickly - Go Fins!!
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:24 pm

I learned my lesson last time, I'm waiting for an official announcement and even THEN I'll still wait a week just to make sure.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:18 am

It's official!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:54 am

I was wrong on one point, Weaver ran the Texans defense for one year so he does have some experience.

Clearly not the "home run hire" I was raving about last year when we hired Fangio, but Weaver seems like a highly regarded coach so this could go well.

I'm hoping he has the ability to build a solid staff and IMO he would benefit from a veteran coach to assist with game planning. McDaniel will be immersed in offense, so he has to handle everything on the defensive side of the ball.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:09 pm

John Harbaugh gave him a glowing review and seemed perplexed that he didn't get a HCing job this year!!

I really do think that the D Line will be strength again assuming the injured players return?? And maybe a nice high draft pick to help with the rotation? But the whole things is going to depend on fixing the DBs and LBs... yet again. Long was a hit, Ramsey, besides the injury was a great pick up, but... the rest was just as underwhelming as it has always been IMO.

Of course having your four top pass rushers go out with injuries doesn't help, but the Phins were getting beaten by good teams BEFORE the injuries, so...

I just hope Weaver imparts that Ravens physical toughness to the Phins Defense. Not that stupid get a penalty crap like they showed in the Chiefs game, but just that instinct to slobberknock a guy when you get the chance.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:34 pm

finfanatic wrote:John Harbaugh gave him a glowing review and seemed perplexed that he didn't get a HCing job this year!!

The same John Harbaugh who had a chance to make Weaver his own DC and didn't? Something about that seems...off to me.  scratch And I'm not even upset about this hire, in fact I think it could be a good one for reasons I'll say below. The two failed head coaching interviews also seem like a bit of a red flag. You'd think teams would be falling all over themselves to hire a coach like this, for *one* reason in particular.

I really do think that the D Line will be strength again assuming the injured players return??  And maybe a nice high draft pick to help with the rotation? But the whole things is going to depend on fixing the DBs and LBs... yet again.  Long was a hit, Ramsey, besides the injury was a great pick up, but... the rest was just as underwhelming as it has always been IMO.

The LBs are the elephant in the room nobody wants to discuss. It's almost like they've been so irrelevant for so long that DolFans everywhere have been conditioned to think they don't even matter at all  Shocked

I just hope Weaver imparts that Ravens physical toughness to the Phins Defense.  Not that stupid get a penalty crap like they showed in the Chiefs game, but just that instinct to slobberknock a guy when you get the chance.

And now we get to the reason I like this hire. Since Weaver's a D-line guy I now have a glimmer of a sliver of an iota of a ray of hope that maybe, just maybe, somehow, someway he can convince Grier NOT to blow yet another top pick on a CB because "we need one" Rolling Eyes If I didn't know better I'd even think Weaver was hired SPECIFICALLY to coach up the new edge rushers this team MUST get until Phillips and Chubb finally recover. If they even do next season. I suspect Chubb may even sit it out altogether. I also can't help but think this was done with Wilkins in mind as...an incentive to re-sign.

And lastly, it's yet another sad sign of the times that everywhere I look the first reaction by DolFans is, "Oh goody, we can get a comp pick when Weaver leaves like every other team does because he's black! WOOHOO!"

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:42 pm

JMP wrote:I think hiring Weaver puts us strongly in the mix for FA LB Patrick Queen, if we move on from Baker.  And if we can't re-sign Wilkins, Ravens DT Justin Madubuike is also a free agent.

Queen is yet another player I wanted this team to draft who they passed over just to spite me. Yes, I am convinced that's actually the primary goal of every Grier draft. Seriously. I'll take him over Baker all day every day, and I hae nothing against Baker. He's always just been a JAG though like Chowder Channing Crowder.

On the other hand if they can't afford Wilkins what makes anybody think they could afford Madubuike, who will be asking for the sun, moon and stars? He may even want MORE than Wilkins. These FAs get greedier by the year and the sad part is, they ALWAYS seem to get whatever absurd demand they make! Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:56 pm

Also (and I completely forgot this) Weaver is a former second round pick Shocked of the Ravens who participated in some depressing, disheartening, devastating Dolphin defeats as a Texan. I suppose I can forgive him. For now.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WeavAn20/gamelog/?opp_id=mia

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:09 am

I had a nice phone conversation with a friend from So. Fla. yesterday. He's been out of touch for awhile, but always had some inside dope on the Dolphins due to being in close contact with someone who works for the Dolphins.

He said he was told Weaver blew away the other DC candidates by being very specific in what was wrong with the Miami Dolphins Defense, and had a plan to fix it??

Weaver's team did just play the Phins recently and he had plenty of chances to see the team's tape, so...

My friend got no specifics on exactly what the plan to fix the Defense is, just heard that Weaver's interview was just what the Dolphins braintrust was waiting to hear. It is nice to hear someone thinks they know what is wrong and has a plan to fix it.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP, DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:21 am

Wow, that's so cool to hear!

I will say this about Grier. He seems to go into the interview process with an open mind. It looks to me like he selects his hires really based not only on their league resume (I know he talks to tons of people who have worked with each candidate). But, more importantly, also on the content of their interview.

We saw that in action two years ago when he hired McDaniel. A total dark horse candidate we didn't see coming until he was rumored to be a finalist and the favorite to get the job.

Following McDaniel year one, based on his impressive work with the offense in general and Tua, he probably acquired the power to make his own choice and hired Fangio. We all thought that was a great move, and honestly it probably was, given the performance of our defense this past season.

However, if we had followed a true interview process, it may have become apparent that Fangio really didn't want to the job.

Anyway I say all that to say this: We've got a chance that Weaver was not only the right hire but an excellent one. Baltimore is an excellent organization with sustained success over time. It's a good thing to tap into their culture - especially on defense.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:29 am

Good stuff, FF. It also seems like Weaver shares the same coaching philosophy as McD, and is very much focused on player development. Seems like Weaver is much more in-line with McD than Fangio ever was.

DolFan 316 wrote:The same John Harbaugh who had a chance to make Weaver his own DC and didn't? Something about that seems...off to me.

Well, the Ravens weren't going to be able to keep all their defensive coaches. They kept Orr, but lost 3 others (including Weaver). Orr was with the Ravens longer than Weaver - and Weaver was getting head coaching interviews. I don't think this says anything bad about Weaver.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 am

white1 wrote:Wow, that's so cool to hear!

I will say this about Grier.  He seems to go into the interview process with an open mind. It looks to me like he selects his hires really based not only on their league resume (I know he talks to tons of people who have worked with each candidate). But, more importantly, also on the content of their interview.

We saw that in action two years ago when he hired McDaniel.  A total dark horse candidate we didn't see coming until he was rumored to be a finalist and the favorite to get the job.

Following McDaniel year one, based on his impressive work with the offense in general and Tua, he probably acquired the power to make his own choice and hired Fangio.  We all thought that was a great move, and honestly it probably was, given the performance of our defense this past season.  

However, if we had followed a true interview process, it may have become apparent that Fangio really didn't want to the job.  

Anyway I say all that to say this:  We've got a chance that Weaver was not only the right hire but an excellent one.  Baltimore is an excellent organization with sustained success over time.  It's a good thing to tap into their culture - especially on defense.

Great post, white.

I think McD is looking to build a collaborative coaching staff where everyone has input. It seems like Fangio was more of a "my way or the highway" type of coach that did not welcome input from others. I think it was certainly worth the gamble with Fangio, but in the end it just didn't work out. I like the idea of getting a young, hungry, well-respected coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 am

Agree. Harbaugh probably figured he can keep Orr longer since Weaver could get a head coach job any season now. To JMP point, he's probably been grooming Orr for this opportunity for a while...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:41 am

considering all the candidates, i think this ended up being the best possible hire. i am happy with the selection of Weaver.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:58 am

mercury22nathan wrote:considering all the candidates, i think this ended up being the best possible hire.  i am happy with the selection of Weaver.

It's funny, I didn't want Staley because something about the guy just rubs me the wrong way - but I was really starting to get on board because I thought he'd be the hire. I'm glad I was wrong. Weaver seems like a perfect fit, and as I said he is very impressive in interviews.

And I can't stress this enough: we'll get two 3rd round picks if he gets a head coaching job. I honestly think that incentive makes it stupid to NOT hire a minority candidate - why not take advantage of the system? As long as the guy is qualified - and Weaver definitely is - it's the way to go. I do hate that race has to be an issue, but in this case the league set it up that way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:15 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I think hiring Weaver puts us strongly in the mix for FA LB Patrick Queen, if we move on from Baker.  And if we can't re-sign Wilkins, Ravens DT Justin Madubuike is also a free agent.

Queen is yet another player I wanted this team to draft who they passed over just to spite me. Yes, I am convinced that's actually the primary goal of every Grier draft. Seriously. I'll take him over Baker all day every day, and I hae nothing against Baker. He's always just been a JAG though like Chowder Channing Crowder.

On the other hand if they can't afford Wilkins what makes anybody think they could afford Madubuike, who will be asking for the sun, moon and stars? He may even want MORE than Wilkins. These FAs get greedier by the year and the sad part is, they ALWAYS seem to get whatever absurd demand they make! Evil or Very Mad

I was never much of a Patrick Queen fan - until this season. I always thought he was good, but this season he stepped up and played great. Was it a contract year bump in production, or did he just take his game to another level? I'm not sure, but he was definitely a difference maker this season.

Ultimately I think Madubuike stays in Baltimore one way or another, but you never know what might happen. I would expect Wilkins to get a bigger deal than Madubuike, but we'll see. I do think Wilkins will return to Miami, though. Definitely two interesting free agents to keep an eye on.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:48 am

Speaking of free agents, Jadeveon Clowney played for Weaver in both Houston and Baltimore. He's a FA that could realistically follow Weaver to Miami at a fraction of the price of Queen or Madubuike.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:06 am

mercury22nathan wrote:considering all the candidates, i think this ended up being the best possible hire.  i am happy with the selection of Weaver.

If Merc approves, that's all I need to know cheers

JMP wrote:It's funny, I didn't want Staley because something about the guy just rubs me the wrong way - but I was really starting to get on board because I thought he'd be the hire.  I'm glad I was wrong.  Weaver seems like a perfect fit, and as I said he is very impressive in interviews.

It's the baby face. Makes him look like a wimp, weenie and wuss. Or back in the old days before we were told what words we were forbidden to ever say or type, a limp-wristed sissy boy. Not that there's anything wrong with that Wink but just looking at him I cannot imagine any universe where any player has any respect for him whatsoever and in this line of work, that's a problem. Weaver on the other hand according to his PFR page was 290 when he played and comes across as a badass without being a jerkass the way Flores did. That's a REALLY rare look from a man these days.

And I can't stress this enough: we'll get two 3rd round picks if he gets a head coaching job. I honestly think that incentive makes it stupid to NOT hire a minority candidate - why not take advantage of the system? As long as the guy is qualified - and Weaver definitely is - it's the way to go.  I do hate that race has to be an issue, but in this case the league set it up that way.

I hate it because whether anybody wants to admit it or not, it actually dehumanizes black coaches and turns them into poker chips to be exchanged for currency (draft picks). And yes, I was thinking of Hal when I made that analogy. You hire the guy and you're already thinking about what you can get for him when he leaves, IMO that's just not a mindset conducive to long term team success. It seems that way because of the extra picks but NFL history is rife with teams who had a boatload of picks and did nothing with them but end up even worse than before. Lots of people win the lottery and go bankrupt too, from what I'm told. Quality personnel already on board are more valuable.

DolFan 316

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:13 am

finfanatic wrote:I had a nice phone conversation with a friend from So. Fla. yesterday. He's been out of touch for awhile, but always had some inside dope on the Dolphins due to being in close contact with someone who works for the Dolphins.

He said he was told Weaver blew away the other DC candidates by being very specific in what was wrong with the Miami Dolphins Defense, and had a plan to fix it??

white1 wrote:I will say this about Grier.  He seems to go into the interview process with an open mind. It looks to me like he selects his hires really based not only on their league resume (I know he talks to tons of people who have worked with each candidate). But, more importantly, also on the content of their interview.

An actual common sense approach to hiring based on what the candidates actually say in their interviews and what actual plan they have??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Maybe, just maybe there's hope for this organization after all! cheers

Seriously, I'm so happy to see the people involved finally do what they should've been doing this whole time (and what I thought was SOP but should've known in today's world was far from it) that I'll overlook how long it took for them to figure out what some people do instinctively. This time. For now.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:22 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
I hate it because whether anybody wants to admit it or not, it actually dehumanizes black coaches and turns them into poker chips to be exchanged for currency (draft picks). And yes, I was thinking of Hal when I made that analogy. You hire the guy and you're already thinking about what you can get for him when he leaves, IMO that's just not a mindset conducive to long term team success. It seems that way because of the extra picks but NFL history is rife with teams who had a boatload of picks and did nothing with them but end up even worse than before. Lots of people win the lottery and go bankrupt too, from what I'm told. Quality personnel already on board are more valuable.

100% correct, but it is what it is. Draft picks are NFL currency, and just like with money, everyone wants more picks.

I look at it this way: if I'm making the decision for the Dolphins and I have both Staley and Weaver more or less evenly, even if Staley's a tiny bit ahead, I'm choosing Weaver. Why? Because I know I will get two 3rd round picks if another team hires Weaver as a head coach. If Staley gets a head coach job, I get absolutely nothing. Honestly, it's a no brainer.

It's stupid, but it's the way the system works - and smart teams learn to work the system.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:04 pm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm

I thought Grier looks at past injury history when making decisions.  New D Coordinator: Anthony Weaver 1f60e
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:15 am

The Phins are adding Joe Barry to the coaching staff. The former Packers defensive coordinator will be Miami's LB coach and run game coordinator. Very strong hire.

Rumor has it that Anthoney Campanile will be getting the Boston College head coaching job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next