The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitz named the starter

+3
white1
Degarmo
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Fitz named the starter Empty Fitz named the starter

Post by JMP Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:39 pm

So the Phins are officially going to roll with FitzMagic to start the season. I think it's a smart decision. Rosen is progressing, but he's still learning. Let him ease into the position instead of throwing him to the wolves against the defensive 'murderer's row' we'll be facing to start the season. He'll be starting soon enough - by week 6 at the latest - so it's really not a big deal. He'll have plenty of time to show what he can do. In the meantime, we get to watch the FitzMagic Rollercoaster Show!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Fitz named the starter Empty Re: Fitz named the starter

Post by Degarmo Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 am

If Thor McJesus doesn't come out of Clemson this year, I'd trade next year's first rounder to get whatever bait is necessary to get him in the draft after that.

As far as Fitz starting, I hope he has a Rich-Gannon-with-the-Raiders type season.

By the way, this is the correct decision. Rosen has shown nothing at all with the starting offense against starters. Neither has Fitzpatrick, because our first team is trash right now. Better to start the more experienced guy, and save some wear and tear, mentally and physically, on Rosen. The Dolphins' side of the internet is blowing up with how Flores is now a shit coach who makes terrible decisions because Rosen outplayed Fitz in the preseason. This is what happens when people learn football from Madden instead of John Madden. There's more to evaluation than just what you see on TV in the preseason, because unless the QB from Snap 1 is Rosen, he's not playing against No. 1s, and there's a serious drop off from 1s to 2s. Hell, by the current logic, Ruddock should be starting because he looked damn good in Game 4.

The only quantifiable evidence for or against Rosen is what we have not seen in practice and meetings that Flores has, AND game film against other teams' first team defense, of which we have a small sample, and it's not good.

It's so very hard to find folks who can put together a rational thought with the use of objective problem-solving skills anymore.

That should be enough bait for 316 to come in and follow up with some commentary Wink . I stand behind the statement though.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Totally agree.

Fitz gets the start as Rosen continues to improve, and while Rosen is learning an absurd 6th offense in the 6 years he's played football at the collegiate/NFL level. Just a ridiculous amount of churn for a young signal caller.

Give him time. Week 6 (or 5 following the bye) feels about right unless Fitz is lights-out through 4 weeks. Given the opponents, and the quality of our offensive line, it's highly unlikely that happens.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Great posts by both of you - total agreement here.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:47 am

Cameron Wolfe
‏Verified account @CameronWolfe
Aug 29

Josh Rosen said he doesn't feel great about the decision but mentioned: "It’s only (a matter of) time that this team is mine but until then I’m going to be as supportive of a backup as I can and push him every single day.”

Love the attitude from Rosen.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 am

It honestly wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Rosen sit the majority of the year just to learn.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:38 am

Degarmo wrote:It honestly wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Rosen sit the majority of the year just to learn.

IMO that would be a wasted year. They MUST find out THIS year if Rosen can play. And to find this out he needs to be on the field for at east 8 games. I see him being the starter after the bye week, when our record is 1 and 3 or 0 and 4. Of course, if Fitz is lighting it up and we are winning, then, that timeline is on hold. But the chances of that are not very high, especially after trading away our best and ONLY legit good O Lineman.

I don't think you can tell if Rosen has the goods by practice. He needs lots of game action. If he seems balls out and looks like he is the man, then, great. We don't need to draft a QB in the first round. If he is just so-so, then, that answers that question. We go QB first pick.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:13 pm

Barry Jackson is the Phins beat reporter for the Herald and usually doesn't stray into opinion pieces and typically has sources (sometimes off the record), so...

...the strong sense I get internally is that it’s unlikely Rosen will be Miami’s longterm starter. It was clear to the Dolphins, soon after the trade, that their future QB probably will need to come from the 2020 draft.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234548232.html

the idea of Miami selecting a QB high in the next draft is not news. but the idea that they had already given up on Rosen shortly after acquiring him...well, is that truth or fiction - or somewhere in between?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:31 pm

scotgif wrote:
Degarmo wrote:It honestly wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Rosen sit the majority of the year just to learn.

IMO that would be a wasted year. They MUST find out THIS year if Rosen can play. And to find this out he needs to be on the field for at east 8 games. I see him being the starter after the bye week, when our record is 1 and 3 or 0 and 4. Of course, if Fitz is lighting it up and we are winning, then, that timeline is on hold. But the chances of that are not very high, especially after trading away our best and ONLY legit good O Lineman.

I don't think you can tell if Rosen has the goods by practice. He needs lots of game action. If he seems balls out and looks like he is the man, then, great. We don't need to draft a QB in the first round. If he is just so-so, then, that answers that question. We go QB first pick.

I agree most of this, but regardless of what Rosen looks like this season, I think we need to do whatever it takes to get Tua. I just don't think we can afford to put all our eggs in the Rosen basket, even if he lights it up this year. Tua is just too good of a prospect.

We saw in San Fran how great Jimmy G looked in his first half-season as a starter...then he got injured and hasn't looked the same since, and they have their fingers crossed that he'll return to form. Bottom line: let's make QB a strength...if we end up with two good/great ones, that would be an ideal situation.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:49 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:Barry Jackson is the Phins beat reporter for the Herald and usually doesn't stray into opinion pieces and typically has sources (sometimes off the record), so...

...the strong sense I get internally is that it’s unlikely Rosen will be Miami’s longterm starter. It was clear to the Dolphins, soon after the trade, that their future QB probably will need to come from the 2020 draft.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234548232.html

the idea of Miami selecting a QB high in the next draft is not news.  but the idea that they had already given up on Rosen shortly after acquiring him...well, is that truth or fiction - or somewhere in between?

Thanks for posting this merc...even if it pisses me off. I usually like Jackson, but this whole piece is a load of garbage. Seems like he's trying to stir up shit and paint a picture of a disgruntled locker room and a dysfunctional front office - and there's zero evidence that any of this is true. Total click bait job by Jackson here.

One player who was released over the weekend said there was a lot of “mental warfare” from the coaches in August - in terms of considerable mental and physical demands on players - and some grew weary of what it would be like to be a Dolphin.

Seriously Barry??? Newsflash: that's why this player was released. If you don't want to work, you're gone - and that's the way it should be. Why is Jackson trying to turn this into a negative? Accountability has been absent from this team for far too long - I'm glad Flores and his staff aren't letting the players run the team.

Feedback was less flattering on a couple of assistants, including offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who’s extremely high-strung.

What kind of junior high BS is this??? Come on, Barry, you're better than this. An OL coach is high-strung and yells at his players? Wow, who woulda thunk it!

One player said several veterans are angry about the Laremy Tunsil trade - one veteran even spoke privately of asking for a trade - but all are reluctant to express this publicly to reporters, and understandably so.

One teammate described Tunsil as angry about the trade. The Dolphins had never assured him that he wouldn’t be traded but had led his camp to believe that he probably would not be traded.

Do the Dolphins even have "several veterans" at this point?? And who gives a rat's ass if Tunsil was angry? Maybe if he showed some of that anger on the field, he'd still be a Dolphin.

Multiple people who have dealt with the Dolphins say even though general manager Chris Grier was given total control of personnel decisions, including the 53-man roster, he is deferring to Flores on most things. One person who spoke to Miami’s front office said as an example, Grier preferred to keep TJ McDonald but Flores didn’t, and Grier usually lets Flores get his way.

This is notable, because owner Stephen Ross wanted to empower his GM in his latest organizational shuffling. But Grier apparently has no desire to be the commanding, have-it-my-way GM presence, instead trying to build consensus among his staff and often deferring to his coach.

Editorial aside: In some ways, I wish Grier threw his weight around more, because he should insist on Flores starting Josh Rosen to get a full read on him instead of wasting time with Ryan Fitzpatrick. (To be clear, I am not saying Grier pushed for Rosen to start, but that he should impress upon his coach to do what’s best in a rebuild, which is starting the young quarterback.)

So, Barry, from what you say here it sounds like Flores and Grier have a great working relationship and make decisions together...and you are trying to make this a negative??? Was Gase trying to undermine everyone in the organization a better system? GTFO with this crap.

For the part I bolded, is he really saying that the GM should force the head coach to play a particular player?? Really??? What the fuck is this assclown thinking????

As for Rosen not starting...maybe, just maybe, it's not that the coaches don't like him - it could just as easily mean that they love his potential but don't want to throw him to the wolves when he still has a lot to learn and a lot to clean up. Damn, Barry, the season hasn't even started yet! How do any of us know what will happen? Rosen could (and probably will) end up starting the vast majority of games this season.

Sorry for the rant, but this article just pisses me off. Things are finally working for the Phins, and in response we get a typical Miami media smear piece. Mad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm

FUCK YEA JMP!! get all worked up with yo bad self.

after i read the article, the first thing i thought was, "Barry's been talking to some of the now formally-Miami Dolphins (Alonso, Stills, etc.) and they got nothing but sour grapes to whine about."

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:48 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
after i read the article, the first thing i thought was, "Barry's been talking to some of the now formally-Miami Dolphins (Alonso, Stills, etc.) and they got nothing but sour grapes to whine about."

That's what it is...he probably has no relationship with any of the new guys, so he's talking to all the loser veterans that have been dumped and getting all this negative BS.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:50 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:FUCK YEA JMP!!  get all worked up with yo bad self.

I'm all in on being critical of this team...hell, I've spent most of my time since the Jay Fielder days doing just that! But I try to be objective, and if I'm going to criticize the team it will be because of something legitimate. This Barry Jackson piece is not legit at all...just pure mud-slinging.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:08 pm

LMAO!!! I read this exact same article earlier today! Seems like Barry Jackson is going woke. Never go full woke, Barry.

Then again, if it's going to get Jmp all worked up, go right ahead Twisted Evil Razz Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:11 pm

JMP wrote:Sorry for the rant, but this article just pisses me off.  Things are finally working for the Phins, and in response we get a typical Miami media smear piece.   Mad

Just wait until he reads the Armando bit saying the Tunsil trade was Grier's biggest offseason mistake Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Sorry for the rant, but this article just pisses me off.  Things are finally working for the Phins, and in response we get a typical Miami media smear piece.   Mad

Just wait until he reads the Armando bit saying the Tunsil trade was Grier's biggest offseason mistake Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

LOL Haven't read that Armando piece yet, but I was never comfortable with Tunsil on the team. I have always thought he was overrated, even in the draft, and I have been waiting since day one for a drug-related suspension to come down on him. To get the draft pick haul we got for him is simply amazingly awesome. Anyone that dislikes this move has clearly missed the boat. If you're trying to rebuild and someone hands you THREE high draft picks in exhange for two non-elite players, it's like hitting a huge jackpot in the lottery.

I think Armando is just pissed off because he no longer has a 'spy' in tyhe Dolphins front office.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Tunsil was a fine pick at # 13 overall and a good player, but come on, no sane GM would turn down that trade.

You turn a # 13 pick into 3 good seasons, one at LG, two at LT, and then 2 first rounders, a second rounder, and a starting OT just now entering his third season (why does every analysis of this trade just pretend that Davenport doesn't exist??? Guy has some upside--Houston just doesn't want to wait for it!).

Just silly. Guys having to write something to try and get clicks, period.

In the meantime, I'm wondering where we're going to end up? Tanking for Tua? Failin' for Jalen? Bomb for Fromm? One thing is for sure, that is one Hell of a QB class next year, and we're in position to pick just about anyone we want to compete with Rosen, who will be a 23 year old prospect with a year in the system himself.

There is nothing negative about this trade. I like Tunsil, but that deal cannot be turned down. Hell, some teams with playoff prospects this season would probably take it.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:42 am

We'll see how durable Tunsil is going to be, because in the end, I think that is what will get him, just like Jake Long.

As Hal said, no GM could turn down that trade, particularly for a team that is rebuilding.

Rosen's not starting because Rosen isn't ready.  That's all there is to that, nothing more or less.  I don't care if Rosen does play and looks great (because he's not going to look HoF great as he doesn't display the "it" factor that everyone used to spout off about), they need to draft a QB next draft anyway.

Media is all shit anymore.  It's all about money, clicks, views, it's not news anymore, it's "entertainment" and it sucks.  Very hard to get actual news.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

HalCHorn wrote:
In the meantime, I'm wondering where we're going to end up?  Tanking for Tua?  Failin' for Jalen?  Bomb for Fromm?  One thing is for sure, that is one Hell of a QB class next year, and we're in position to pick just about anyone we want to compete with Rosen, who will be a 23 year old prospect with a year in the system himself.

Jordan Love, QB from Utah State, is another interesting prospect. Saw some youtube highlights, and this dude looks good. Definitely needs work, but he's got a chance to be a first round pick.

When all is said and done, Tua is THE MAN. I wish he was a bit taller, but his ball placement and accuracy are just unreal. I'd do whatever it takes to get him on the Phins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:06 am

Degarmo wrote:

Rosen's not starting because Rosen isn't ready.  That's all there is to that, nothing more or less.  I don't care if Rosen does play and looks great (because he's not going to look HoF great as he doesn't display the "it" factor that everyone used to spout off about), they need to draft a QB next draft anyway.

Yep, I'm a Rosen fan and I completely agree...no matter what he does this season, I'm drafting a QB in 2020 - preferably Tua!  Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down