The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minkah Fitzpatrick

+6
HalCHorn
Degarmo
DolFan 316
rightchea
mercury22nathan
JMP
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Minkah Fitzpatrick Empty Minkah Fitzpatrick

Post by JMP Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:01 am

After watching yesterday's game, I think it's pretty obvious why Minkah has not been named the starting free safety: he can't cover. We saw this last season too, when he played boundary corner. He's got terrible technique and lacks top-end speed. A 'centerfielder' free safety that can't cover is a liability. Minkah is a very good tackler and he's good close to the line, but as soon as he has to cover someone beyond 5 yards it's ugly.

All this talk about players revolting...the first thing these players need to do is look in the mirror, and Minkah is at the head of that list.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Minkah Fitzpatrick Empty Re: Minkah Fitzpatrick

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:38 am

JMP wrote:Minkah is a very good tackler and he's good close to the line.

yea, but his mom doesn't think he should play strong safety. Very Happy

from what i've seen and read, it appears Minkah is best suited to be a slot corner. problem was, we already paid McCain a shit ton to be the slot. so did McCain get moved to FS because Minkah couldn't do it? create two holes to address one problem. but to be honest, i couldn't really tell who was doing what in that secondary yesterday.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:00 am

I was trying to key on Minkah yesterday, just to see how he would look in this scheme. Well, he looked BAD. That was maybe the biggest surprise of the horrific defensive "effort". His skillset probably is best suited as an in-the-box strong safety...but the problem is, I don't think he has the body type to play that role full-time. I think you may be right: slot corner may be his best position after all. And if that is the case, it's a colossal disappointment and a lot less than we had hoped for. But wherever he plays, he needs to play better - period.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:41 am

Minkah was getting beat a lot out there. For a first round pick he really needs to bulk up maybe and play LB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 am

...the curious use of Fitzpatrick, who played only a dozen snaps in the position where he ranked best in the league last season.

Last season, Fitzpatrick was on the field for 944 defensive plays, second most on the team behind Kiko Alonso. He was the Dolphins’ slot cornerback 40 percent of the time, the boundary corner 30 percent, free safety 17 percent and strong safety 3 percent.

And it’s important to note that Fitzpatrick last season was best among all NFL slot corners in completion percentage against (51.3) and passer rating against (49.7).

But on Sunday, according to Pro Football Focus, the Dolphins used him only 12 snaps at slot cornerback, four at boundary cornerback, seven on the defensive line (in an edge role) and 26 snaps in the box, where he was playing within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage, essentially in a linebacker-type role.

Also, he played 49 defensive snaps, which was ninth most on the team. Fitzpatrick had his worst game as a pro after a strong rookie season, allowing all six passes against him to be completed for 117 yards and three touchdowns.

But associates say he is being misused, and Fitzpatrick said Monday that coaches could have put players in better positions.

Asked multiple times Tuesday why the Dolphins don’t use Fitzpatrick more in the slot considering he was the league’s best at that last season, Graham said only: “We tried to do what was best for the team and deploy players in the right spots.”

The Dolphins decided going into the game that Bobby McCain needs to be on the field most of the time (he played 59 of 77 snaps), and that Fitzpatrick and Reshad Jones would share snaps, at times with the three of them playing together. Walt Aikens would also be weaved in some.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234589222.html

this is on the coaches and needs to be fixed. McCain is not better that Fitzpatrick at his best. why force other players out of position because Grier decided to unnecessarily reward McCain with a large contract?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 am

Grier took Fitzpatrick over Derwin James. And THIS is the guy who's in charge of the next draft. affraid affraid affraid

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:58 am

If it is on the coaches, it's because they mistakenly thought Minkah could handle the responsibility of being the 'chess piece' that this defense requires. A guy that can move around and play anywhere, giving the Phins match-up advantages. But the reality is becoming clear: he's just not that good, and he's not capable of handling an expanded role. I hope I'm misreading this, but it sure seems like this is what is happening.

LMAO at "associates say he is being misused"...is his mommy complaining again??? Razz

Bottom line: Minkah is soft, and its starting to look like he is not a long-term solution for this team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:13 pm

JMP wrote:If it is on the coaches, it's because they mistakenly thought Minkah could handle the responsibility of being the 'chess piece' that this defense requires.  A guy that can move around and play anywhere, giving the Phins match-up advantages.  But the reality is becoming clear: he's just not that good, and he's not capable of handling an expanded role.  I hope I'm misreading this, but it sure seems like this is what is happening.

LMAO at "associates say he is being misused"...is his mommy complaining again???  Razz

Bottom line: Minkah is soft, and its starting to look like he is not a long-term solution for this team.

But here's the thing--even if you're absolutely right Grier is not only the one who drafted him, he apparently was willing to be FIRED over it Shocked

And also, it doesn't change that Flores has done absolutely nothing so far to indicate he's even a remotely competent NFL coach.

These guys got the ripping the team apart thing right, but anybody can grab a sledgehammer and demolish the walls of a building. That's the easy, no-brainer part. I absolutely do NOT trust them to get the actual rebuild part right, because that would involve actual competence.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:26 pm

WTB Dick Anderson circa 1972.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:23 am

looks like coaches are changing his role again.

Safety/cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick said his role against the visiting Patriots this week will be different than the previous week, when he played 12 snaps at slot cornerback, four at boundary cornerback, seven on the defensive line (in an edge role) and 26 snaps in the box, as a linebacker.

“We had discussions on a different role,” he said, adding this role likely would change again for the Dallas game in Week 3.

Is he at peace with all of this?

“Just got to do my job,” he said.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234934572.html

while this was all planned from the beginning, it doesn't sound like he's too optimistic about the plan. what i'm wondering is...who will play strong safety this week if Jones can't go?

Meanwhile, safety Reshad Jones missed practice Wednesday with an ankle injury, and his status for Sunday is in question.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 am

I expect Jones to be in and out of the lineup for most of the year or until he's traded. Then he won't miss a game for four years. Yes, I'm saying he's full of shit.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

And also, it doesn't change that Flores has done absolutely nothing so far to indicate he's even a remotely competent NFL coach.

One game. I don't understand why so many people think one game defines the entire season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 am

mercury22nathan wrote:looks like coaches are changing his role again.

Safety/cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick said his role against the visiting Patriots this week will be different than the previous week, when he played 12 snaps at slot cornerback, four at boundary cornerback, seven on the defensive line (in an edge role) and 26 snaps in the box, as a linebacker.

“We had discussions on a different role,” he said, adding this role likely would change again for the Dallas game in Week 3.

Is he at peace with all of this?

“Just got to do my job,” he said.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234934572.html

while this was all planned from the beginning, it doesn't sound like he's too optimistic about the plan.  what i'm wondering is...who will play strong safety this week if Jones can't go?

Meanwhile, safety Reshad Jones missed practice Wednesday with an ankle injury, and his status for Sunday is in question.

Yep - that's the plan - change the scheme based on opponent. If Minkah's not on board, trade his whining ass.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Chris Mortensen reports that the Phins have granted Minkah permission to seek a trade! Doubt anything will happen because his value is crap right now, but very interesting. I'm just about done with his crying and whining...good riddance.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:47 am

heard that Miami is looking at getting at least a first or second round pick for him. no way they are getting that for him though. my issues is he not good at the position he is playing nor is McCain. they need to be swopped

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:47 am

Yeah, but Minkah's role in this defense is a roaming gnome, and he's not up to it, so, he's got to go.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am

so now we can see the difference between Belichick's "Patriot Way" and the failing approach of the Phins' current regime (and perhaps that of the so many other failed former NE assistants that could not replicate the Patriot's success).  Belichick tries to obtain the talent he needs to win, but he also realizes that the exact desired talent isn't always available.  hence why the Patriots have morphed and shifted throughout the years (and even within a season).  one year, they have a fierce pass rush (Vrabel and McGinest), then the next they're a soft zone that surrenders yards, but not points (last year).  one year they run power (Corey Dillon), then the next they're a deep vertical threat (Randy Moss) and then they're a short passing, timing offense (Amendola and Edelman).  Belichick has a system and that system is take his talent and put them in the best position to succeed.  the Phins' current regime has a system.  it is supposedly predicated on flexibility, but clearly they have lost sight of utilizing players in a position that best utilizes their skills.  how else to explain this idea of forcing players to play in constantly changing positions for which they are not suited?

If a trade is worked out, it would be difficult to overstate the implications.

Remember, the Dolphins would be giving up a player they so highly coveted slightly more than a year ago, one they praised throughout his rookie season. Coaches constantly said they could not pile too much on Fitzpatrick’s plate. They loved his versatility and willingness to tackle any challenge.

Fitzpatrick is only 22 and a talented player with a championship pedigree from Alabama. He is not Laremy Tunsil, the left tackle who was just dealt to Houston but on the brink of a rich second contract.

If Fitzpatrick doesn’t check every box for a player the Dolphins want to build around for the long term, who does?

If he’s as talented as the Dolphins have long maintained he is, and the Dolphins cannot find a way to maximize those talents, whose fault is it?

If he doesn’t see a future in Miami, how many others feel the same way?

As if each of those questions alone aren’t daunting enough, there are even more questions to consider organizationally.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20190913/miami-dolphins-minkah-fitzpatrick-seeks-trade-implications-cannot-be-overstated?rssfeed=true

and remember, Grier was willing to quit (or be fired) if Ross wouldn't allow him to pick Fitzpatrick. how have things changed so fast. he was a decent ascending players last year - he didn't lose all his skills over the off-season.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:00 am

There are several problems with Minkah, as I see it:

Most importantly, he's not the player everyone thought he would be. He was drafted to be a versatile player capable of handling multiple roles and positions - that was always the plan, even under Gase. The problem is, his coverage technique sucks, so he's a liability at both boundary CB and FS. That leaves him with SS (which his mommy doesn't want him to play), nickle corner (which is probably his best position) and hybrid LB (where he looked completely lost last week). It's clear to me that he's not putting the work in, because last week he was absolutely AWFUL as a tackler, and that is supposed to be his strong suit.

And, he was also drafted to be a leader...but that's clearly not the case, with his whining, complaining and inability to help the team by following the coaches' plans.

Bottom line: DO YOUR JOB - or get out. You don't like the fact that the coaching staff wants to make you the focal point of the defense and turn you into a nightmare matchup problem for opposing offenses? Fine, go somewhere else...but make sure mommy approves first.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 am

but the point is, last year the staff was able to identify what he did well and let him do it. why does this year's staff have to force him to play a role he's not suited to play? he's under contract on a rookie deal - use him as his skills best dictate.

A source close to Fitzpatrick tells the Herald he has been dissatisfied in Miami since the new coaching staff led by Brian Flores took over. That staff has not embraced Fitzpatrick to the same degree the previous coaching staff did.

The new staff has also struggled to have a clear vision for Fitzpatrick. From the Dolphins perspective, coaches see Fitzpatrick as something of a jack of all trades but they are still searching for the position where he can be dominant.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article235048722.html

why are they still searching? we already know what his best role can be - he proved it last year.

There have been whispers [Reshad] Jones was not happy with his limited playing time in Sunday’s game.

After making a play near the goal line, he was taken out of the game on the next play and was seen throwing his helmet when he reached the sideline.

these are talented players. if Fitzpatrick and Jones were on the Patriots, you don't think Belichick could find a role for them to succeed in?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 am

I don't think he will be traded. But, if someone bowls you over, like what happened with Tunsil...

Guy is talented enough to succeed and be a Pro Bowler in this system, but he's gotta buy in.

Friction isn't always a bad thing. Hopefully, the light bulb comes on.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 am

This is Minkah

Minkah Fitzpatrick 566c9310

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:48 pm

My friend and sister went to school with his pop. My friend a Pat's fan meet Minka a few times. When we drafted him he said we got a great kid and talent. A shame another coaching staff messed up another draft pick like Carroo.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Hate to say this guys but this is the coaching carousel that is the Miami dolphins!!!!!!!!

Too often, we long for a coach that comes with a winning attitude and. No nonsense approach. This year we finally get a nice breath of fresh air in the off season. A front office who is willing to do what it takes to rebuild. I applaud that effort. We were in a good spot and headed in the right direction until 7 days before the season

We finally got the cap situation under control and now we have a talent issue. The problem I see with far too many Miami coaches is that they think that their system will overcome all! Square peg round hole. We imploded this roster but not keeping the young talented guys to build around because “THEY” wouldn’t fit the system. The mantra of all these idiots is I’m the best person for the job and I’ll coach my way! No flexibility! They were hired for their leadership skills not their x and o smarts! I don’t know what it takes to get it through these fuckers heads. Evaluate your talent and FIND a system that works with what you have. Isn’t that what Don Shula did to get 347 wins in his career.

Just to play devils advocate. Gase was brought in to Miami because his previous credits with Tebow and Cough cough Manning! But that’s the extent of his x’s and o’s! No leadership what so ever! You bring Flores and what’s happening bone is no different than before. My way or highway. The only difference, good bad or indefferent is that he has the GM on his side. No matter what, we will never see what type of “LEADERSHIP” Flores has fir the next 3 years. As a fan I’m really not all that patient! Before the season started we had a good nucleus of young players! I just don’t see anything but 2020 Draft anymore. In fact I’m wondering if the coaching staff is thinking “let’s get blown out every game in case there’s a tie breaker for the first pick”. Pretty sad
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:10 pm

I'm shocked that people are taking Minkah's side in this. He's being asked to do something as part of his job - a job that paid him $16.5 million the day he signed his name on the contract - and he's whining and complaining about it, and his mommy is flapping her gums about it too. And this is somehow the coach's fault?? Huh??? In any other line of work, he would have been fired already.

As for Flores, he's got a job to do too. Part of that job is implementing HIS system...so yeah, it is 'his way or the highway'. He's the boss - he tells you what to do, and you do it. And you know what? His system has won Super Bowls.

Minkah needs to grow the hell up and get to work.

And Umix...who are all the "young talented guys to build around" that we got rid of? Tunsil is the only one, and we got a boat-load of compensation for him. We gave X Howard a shit-ton of money. The guys we got rid of of were older and overpaid and were part of the problem.

Some people just don't seem to understand that we are building something brand new...it needed to be gutted in order to be rebuilt, and as a result this season was always going to be a colossal flop. That shouldn't be surprise to anyone.

And no player is bigger than the team - not even an overdrafted, overrated, underachieving defensive back that some people treat like a Hall of Famer for reasons I can't comprehend. Seriously, what has Minkah done to show that he's a long-term solution for this team? All I've seen is a guy that hasn't lived up to his potential and who whines, complains and hides behind his mommy. If we could get a 2nd rounder for this clown, I'd jump on it. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is giving up that much for a selfish underachiever.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:51 pm

heard that Miami is looking at getting at least a first or second round pick for him. no way they are getting that for him though.

I think this can be had. And there's no rush, a little friction is no big deal. Worse case play him at nickel and build around him.

He's only in year 2 of his rookie deal, so cheap and talented first round player. Definitely value, especially if a contender for the playoffs loses some one in their secondary to injury. Will likely happen over the next few weeks.

Possibly even a pick + player trade? Would LOVE a 3-4 linebacker in return or something like that.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next