The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minkah Fitzpatrick

+6
HalCHorn
Degarmo
DolFan 316
rightchea
mercury22nathan
JMP
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Minkah Fitzpatrick - Page 2 Empty Re: Minkah Fitzpatrick

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Lots of times young players hit a reflection point.  Minkah is at one right now.  Does he get his mind right and go to work, or not?

Here's an old reference, but in 1978 a promising young player walked out on his team during training camp and threatened to retire and change sports--to the PGA.  He was 22 at the time.

That player was unhappy about potentially being asked to change positions (to accommodate another rising young player).  He ended up sitting out a month of the season.

His dad ended up having a big talk with him, which ended up with the young man going back to his team.

After that, Robin Yount went on to have his best season to date with his head screwed on straight, garnered 3,000 hits, eventually did change positions, and ended up playing his entire career in one city, Milwaukee.  He was then a first ballot Hall of Famer. (The player they were mulling moving him to accommodate was another future HOF'er, Paul Molitor, btw)

Minkah has the potential to end up as a star too if he gets his head on straight and embraces the process.  This is his reflection point.  Hopefully he gets it going.  He's at practice today with the starters, so don't be surprised if last Sunday just ends up being a bump in the road years from now.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Oh, and I like Flores' credentials much better than Gase's. Gase built his reputation on Peyton Manning, who was pretty damn great with or without him. Flores just drastically improved a defense after Matt Patricia left for a HC job and they absolutely put on a clinic in the Super Bowl. Gase has no SB wins on his resume, anywhere. Flores has 3.

I'm ready to give this makeover longer than one game.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:36 pm

I m in favor of a makeover but don’t think that Flores is displaying leadership qualities that encourages the locker room. I’m all about the players regardless of their ridiculous salaries because in the end it’s the players who play.

His first job is to inspire his players to greatness. “Lead”! Not dictate. Players are ore inclined to follow when they feel inspired. It is a job! 100%! No doubt in my mind! But what would happen to an average player who feels he is being inspired to do something. If Flores can do that then it’s not going to matter what he says. As of right now, what he says and what he does is completely different!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:53 pm

One other point. Dolphin players voted for captains this year. There are 2 defensive captains, Jerome Baker and Bobby McCain. You know who wasn't voted a captain? Minkah Fitzpatrick. To me, that speaks volumes about his role in this locker room.

Like Hal said, Minkah is young and maybe he uses this as an opportunity to commit himself to his team and his job. Unfortunately, with his mommy stirring shit up I just don't know if he'll ever get it.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 pm

Another point...Bobby McCain was asked to switch positions...did he complain? No. Charles Harris was asked to play multiple positions...did he complain? No.

On other teams...Derwin James played SS, FS, CB and LB last year...did he complain? No...and he got All Pro honors. Patrick Chung plays a different position on almost every down...ever hear him complain? No.

Point is...the Dolphins aren't asking Minkah to do anything unusual. It's all part of today's NFL, where versatility and mismatches are everything. Now STFU and play football.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:57 am

Minkah is young and I can see where his attitude can be better. He is a young player with lots of potential. Again, this is on Flores an his approach to Minkah. He is not getting Minkah to buy into his approach to winning. It is very hard to get a young guy to see the long term. We as fans, long time fans, maturer fans, understand the effects of what THIS regime is trying to do but we have the benefit of time and experience. Minkah does not. I think his best position is safety. He can play multiple positions in a pinch but his main strengths are at safety. We can’t make him into something he’s not. If it ain’t then maybe just maybe we shouldn’t have drafted him. If we needed a corner or a slot corner. Maybe we should have just gone after that! Or IMHO we should have traded out of that pick and fixed the one thing that has plagued this team for decades......OL!

Derwin James is getting paid and his team ain’t doing what the dolphins are! Patrick Chung plays for the Patriots and has won some Suoer Bowls! Bobby McCain is getting paid. Reshad Jones getting paid. If I was making that money I would ride the pine and laugh all the way to the bank
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 am

Derwin James is making less money than Minkah. But my point is, a big part of today's NFL is versatility. Having players line up at different positions is becoming the norm. It's being done on every team.

Minkah was drafted to play multiple positions. This isn't something Flores thought of out of the blue. Minkah needs to bear down and work.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:32 am

Sometimes it takes time for a talented player to get on the same page with his new coach. Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson had a lot of friction until the halfway point of the 1992 season. And Michael Irvin was considered to be overdrafted by the previous regime there--by his college coach, no less. He didn't put it all together until 1991.

My gut feeling is this works itself out and Minkah stays a Dolphin.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm

Yeah Cowboys don’t have 1st round pick so he prob stays
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 pm

JMP wrote:..........Minkah needs to bear down and work.

Totally agree with you here! No doubt.

My only point is that i don't like the tone that Flores is setting.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:42 pm

The tone Flores is setting is we're going to be a multiple defense, and we're going to ask everyone to handle multiple tasks. It has proven successful in New England, and the rest of the league is following. Not all players can handle it...we'll see if Minkah is up to the challenge, or if he just wants to be a slot corner. One path he could become a superstar with a mega salary, the other path he's just another guy. The choice is his now. Get on board, or get out.

For the record, I agree with Hal...this will all blow over and Minkah will remain a Phin and eventually see the light.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Well, I am disappointed in his attitude.

This doesn't seem like something "Saban's son" would be doing IMO.

I am wondering if there is something to all this unrest.

The Pats game certainly didn't fill me with confidence in the coaching staff again. Some of the play calls today were asinine IMO.

Anyway...the team is a mess, and I am going to reserve judgement on the coaching.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Minkah played better today - even forced a fumble late in the game. Still, I expect a helluva lot more from the #11 pick. Hopefully he continues to get better.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:43 am

JMP wrote:...this will all blow over and Minkah will remain a Phin and eventually see the light.

according to Armando, he's as good as gone this week.

It would surprise if Minkah Fitzpatrick makes it to the Dallas Cowboys game next Sunday. The Dolphins have been talking with three teams who are seriously interested in the former No. 11 overall selection, according to sources.

The Dolphins are certain -- certain! -- they’re going to get a first-round draft pick for the defensive back. And they’re confident they might get an extra piece of compensation in the deal as well -- perhaps a player, or maybe a lower-round draft pick.

That’s how far along the Minkah trade talks are, which is to say, very far along.

Barring a total derailment of these negotiations, the Dolphins will hold three first-round draft picks for 2020.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article235118132.html

next man up? if a trade happens, i wonder what the Phins starting secondary looks like if Jones stays injured?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:54 am

Wow!! Well, if we're getting a first for Minkah, then yes - he's gone. I didn't think any team was going to do that. We'll see...

I guess Steven Parker and Walt Aikens will take over for now if Minkah goes - and we'll probably add someone as well. Free agent Josh Jones is still available - he played for Patrick Graham in Green Bay, so he could be a possibility.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 am

I wonder if the Chargers are one of the teams interested in Minkah - both of their safeties are out (Derwin James out for the season, Adrian Phillips out indefinitely).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2